The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Smallen said:

I’d start them both but I wouldn’t want them both playing wide in the same team tbh. Probably play Grealish as a 10 with Foden wide. Mount in a 2 with Rice.

I think we saw a lot of evidence tonight of why we need at least one of Sterling/Rashford/Sancho in the team. Absolutely no one was stretching Austria’s defence.

Been saying this for months when people want to cram Mount, Grealish, Foden in. 

One of these three minimum needs to occupy a wide berth. For me it would be Sancho on the right

14 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think Grealish is the best of the 3 right now too. Not sure what formation/line-up I'd pick overall though.

433 (or 3421 depending on matchup/fitness, NOT 343).

GK: Not Pickford

RB: Trippier

CB: Not Mings

LB: Chilwell

DM: Phillips

CM: Henderson, Grealish

RW: Sancho

LW: Foden

ST: Kane

19 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

He'd drop Kane if it meant Grealish starting 

Your City bias is way worse than my Grealish one. I rate an incredible player very highly, get over it.

After you said you'd take only two CMs you shouldn't have an opinion anyway.

5 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Bellingham needs to start for me, unless Henderson is fully match fit for the group. Of those picked to play CM, he's got a surprisingly strong defensive mindset

Absolutely. Bellingham the replacement for Henderson. Mount the replacement for Grealish; or Grealish moves forward with Mount coming on for Foden. 

In the group stages it might not matter as much, but think you really need Henderson in there once it gets to knockout rounds for experience/leadership. 

Edited by XuluBak

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Bellingham needs to start for me, unless Henderson is fully match fit for the group. Of those picked to play CM, he's got a surprisingly strong defensive mindset

Nah unless you're labelled a DM on Football Manager you cannot possibly have any defensive abilities whilst also being comfortable going box to box 

3 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Absolutely. Bellingham the replacement for Henderson. Mount the replacement for Grealish; or Grealish moves forward with Mount coming on for Foden. 

In the group stages it might not matter as much, but think you really need Henderson in there once it gets to knockout rounds for experience/leadership. 

Agree. If we want to be more robust I'd much rather field Bellingham and Henderson together than the ******* 3-4-3

I'd start Foden on left to link with Shaw, Mount in the middle, with Grealish an option to cover both. Sancho right with Sterling to cover him. Rashford your more direct left wing choice, especially when playing a counter attacking game. 

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Back to this convo. Do you honestly think Mount is better than Grealish then?

it's not about being "better", it's about skillset.

Mount offers more than Grealish does centrally, especially in a midfield 3. Grealish offers more out left.

I wouldn't start Grealish because although he's a very good player, Foden is better and the other wide player needs to be a forward that can run in behind.

Also, Mount is really ****ing good. You're acting like Grealish is Messi and Mount is Willian :D 

Edited by ajw10

22 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

433 (or 3421 depending on matchup/fitness, NOT 343).

GK: Not Pickford

RB: Trippier

CB: Not Mings

LB: Chilwell

DM: Phillips

CM: Henderson, Grealish

RW: Sancho

LW: Foden

ST: Kane

Walker over Trippier for sure. GK should be Pickford because Henderson is too meek. Rice over Phillips and Bellingham and Mount in front. Front 3 is fine

1 minute ago, ajw10 said:

it's not about being "better", it's about skillset.

Mount offers more than Grealish does centrally, especially in a midfield 3. Grealish offers more out left.

I wouldn't start Grealish because although he's a very good player, Foden is better and the other wide player needs to be a forward that can run in behind.

I'm not sure he does, and I won't even give my opinion on Foden VS Grealish as people will dismiss it purely because it's me saying it.

Keane said it all about Grealish, he always makes things happen and he's so good because of his mentality - never hides and always wants the ball. Carragher said it about him in the past - he has it in him to drag and drive his team to a result/better performance.

But tbh maybe I've said enough on this topic, probably best to leave it and see what the Euros brings :)

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

I'm not sure he does, and I won't even give my opinion on Foden VS Grealish as people will dismiss it purely because it's me saying it.

Keane said it all about Grealish, he always makes things happen and he's so good because of his mentality - never hides and always wants the ball. Carragher said it about him in the past - he has it in him to drag and drive his team to a result/better performance.

But tbh maybe I've said enough on this topic, probably best to leave it and see what the Euros brings :)

People don't dismiss it because you say it, it's more because you don't really countenance any scenario other than Grealish being the best. Doesn't make for much discussion tbh

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Mount is actually brilliant, all jokes about him being Southgate's love child aside. Not only that, he's tactically flexible and astute a shown he's consistent big game player for Chelsea too. I'd start him

He's probably the first name after Kane. He's excellent

3 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

The issue is, two of those three play in the CL and have both just played in the final.

They are playing for top teams in the best competition possible. 

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Pickford; TAA, Coady, Mings, Trippier; Rice, Bellingham; Lingard, Grealish, Saka; Kane

Will be interesting if he uses a #10 in serious games and when the European final players are ready to play. If he's going to do that it might mean dropping Mount or playing him deeper and I'm not sure either of those are good ideas

4 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

The issue is, two of those three play in the CL and have both just played in the final.

They are playing for top teams in the best competition possible. 

That's not an issue for me, I've seen more than enough of all three of them. Grealish looks more than at home at every level he goes to. Has had several excellent games against the top English clubs.

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

People don't dismiss it because you say it, it's more because you don't really countenance any scenario other than Grealish being the best. Doesn't make for much discussion tbh

I don't mean to come across dismissive of other players. I just don't think people see all of the unique qualities Grealish brings and how well they combine 👍

Anyway that's enough from me!

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Will be interesting if he uses a #10 in serious games and when the European final players are ready to play. If he's going to do that it might mean dropping Mount or playing him deeper and I'm not sure either of those are good ideas

Honestly I don't think too much can be read into this game, especially as 5 of the players that were left out, played

9 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

Walker over Trippier for sure. GK should be Pickford because Henderson is too meek. Rice over Phillips and Bellingham and Mount in front. Front 3 is fine

Walker over any of the other three is pretty hard to justify on anything other than pace. If I were dead set on 433, he probably wouldn't make the cut. 

"Not Pickford" was a bit tongue and cheek at this point. Without Pope, of course it's Pickford. It's just absurd to me that's the case. 

Phillips > Rice isn't even close for me as a #6 in a 433. (given the alternatives, I probably would have given Rice a runout as a CB in a few friendlies)

22 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Grealish 100% has to start. Sooner he moves to a big side so the debate around him ends the better.

Any manger worth their salt would get Mount/Foden/Grealish working in a team. 

Shots fired!

The Grealish debate is a bit pointless in the short term, isn't it? I thought he'd been out injured for quite a while. When did he last play 90 minutes?

If he isn't match fit (and he only has 10 days to get there) them we'd be nuts to start him ahead of Mount. Club bias is totally distorting some perceptions here.

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

If he isn't match fit (and he only has 10 days to get there) them we'd be nuts to start him ahead of Mount. Club bias is totally distorting some perceptions here.

I keep saying Mings is a liability, so how is it club bias?

Fair point on fitness, but he showed last night exactly what he offers. If he's match fit, I don't know how anyone can seriously say he shouldn't be starting. A hell of a lot of neutrals have Grealish down as our best player or top two.

4 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I keep saying Mings is a liability, so how is it club bias?

Fair point on fitness, but he showed last night exactly what he offers. If he's match fit, I don't know how anyone can seriously say he shouldn't be starting. A hell of a lot of neutrals have Grealish down as our best player or top two.

He's not even your best English Centre-back, Its puzzling why Konsa wasnt in the provisional squad

Let's be honest we're struggling to get out of the group with this central defence. 

Coady not good enough

Mings a liability

Godfrey inexperienced 

Maguire injured

Stones can be brilliant but won't be when paired with any of the fit defenders 

Edit: on mobile and didn't mean to post when I did but the other centre backs like Godfrey not in the final squad are no better either.

Edited by VP.

2 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Grealish 100% has to start. Sooner he moves to a big side so the debate around him ends the better.

I mean, when he moves to City he's going to be the first 100m+ English player (unless Kane beats him to it) and people in here are talking like he's Lee Hendre. 

I suspect that people a) haven't watched as much of him as they have the other forwards as he plays for Villa b) are having their opinions on him clouded because all the Villa fans keep going on about him which I get can be annoying. 

Mount and Foden have had wonderful seasons so absolutely deserve to be starting but if you're putting Sterling, Sancho or Rashford ahead of him in your team then you're picking off reputation tbh. 

He's going to be playing a big role for England in the next few weeks so the haters are just going to have to get over it. 

I don't think anyone underrates Grealish in here, it's just if you don't believe he makes it into the starting XI ahead of players like Mount, Foden and Sancho, then apparently you're underrating him, despite all those players being extremely talented 

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

I don't think anyone underrates Grealish in here, it's just if you don't believe he makes it into the starting XI ahead of players like Mount, Foden and Sancho, then apparently you're underrating him, despite all those players being extremely talented 

Nah that's fair, I've no issue with people who would prefer those 3. Just the ones who think a) it's club bias or b) a club's achievements this season should be the deciding factor that I have a problem with.

It's absolutely not about talent, it's about a skillset.

2 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

This is nonsense isn't it? Any manager worth their salt would hamper the side by not playing a forward that runs in behind?

26 minutes ago, arenaross said:

Mount and Foden have had wonderful seasons so absolutely deserve to be starting but if you're putting Sterling, Sancho or Rashford ahead of him in your team then you're picking off reputation tbh. 

Sancho has finished the season strongly, scoring twice in a cup final and being a big part in Dortmund getting CL football. He picked up an injury around the last international break, where his form was incredible.

Sancho has scored 5 goals and 4 assists since Grealish last registered one of either at club level

Edited by ajw10

Point me in the direction of one good performance Sancho has put in for England. 

He also plays for a much better team than Villa. It's going to be a lot harder when you're playing with Marvelous Nakamba and Kieran Davis as opposed to Haaland and Reus. 

I think Southgate is the kind of manager who has his favourites and will shoehorn them into the side come what may.

If Grealish had secured a big move last summer I’ve no doubt he’d have been integrated into the starting XI much sooner and would be one of the first names picked by now.

It’s crazy that we’re so close to a tournament starting and we still don’t know our best XI or starting formation. What have we been doing for the last 2 years?

16 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

This is nonsense isn't it? Any manager worth their salt would hamper the side by not playing a forward that runs in behind?

But there is runners behind. Coach Kane to make those runs behind like he did few years ago, not the crap he's doing at Spurs dropping deeper than the CMs. Foden makes runs behind regularly too, and is actually quite fast. It's not like there's no pace what so ever amongst them :D Yes Pep is a far greater coach, but if Man City can win the league and get to UCL final playing with no 'runners' behind (Silva/KDB/Foden/Mahrez), then we can do something with those 3 + Kane. 

They don't need to play every game together as there's different options against certain teams, but they're in the strongest line up if pushed to name a XI. The first game we have where we're largely blunt, the chat in here will about how we have to get one (or two) of them more on the pitch. 

Edited by pearcey_90