Knap - FM24 and FM23 FM22_FM 21 - FM 20 -FM 19 Tactic List

• Replies 37.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Par1s said:

No OI's.

I think if you manage your team the results will be improved a lot.

Thanks  for that, I am just going to try now with my Southampton team, hit a wall with tactics from the beginning of the season, tried numerous tactics over the last week and none seem to give consistency, fingers crossed on this.

Thanks

@knap regarding the 4-1-4-1 VM or just 4-3-3 formation blue matter, it said either here or elsewhere to get mezzella's with good finishing / long shots, yet when I check the instructions on the position, it states : shoot less, also not shooting whenever possible but work patiently into the box, so Im confused. Was the advice wrong or should / could I tweak it for a bit better results ?

Also, is there a tactic working with only 3 defenders ? 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 ?

Edited by FComniworld

13 minutes ago, FComniworld said:

@knap regarding the 4-1-4-1 VM or just 4-3-3 formation blue matter, it said either here or elsewhere to get mezzella's with good finishing / long shots, yet when I check the instructions on the position, it states : shoot less, also not shooting whenever possible but work patiently into the box, so Im confused. Was the advice wrong or should / could I tweak it for a bit better results ?

Also, is there a tactic working with only 3 defenders ? 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 ?

Remember those settings just mean “do X less often” (in this case; shooting)... the mezzala’s default behaviour is still to shoot more often than say... a BWM (this is based on observation, not knowledge of underlying code)? So they should still fire a thunderb*****d or two (or ten if you have a Pogba)

Without any visual indication (which like them or loathe them, the sliders used to give) this can be hard to see, but likely without those modifiers set, the mezzala (my favourite fm role whilst we’re on the subject) shoots juuuust a little too often and those modifiers ‘redress the balance’ rather than neuter the players natural game etc.

8 hours ago, DarkAxe said:

Squad training and building is a breeze. I'm identifying weaknesses, filling the gaps, bringing in talent... and giving them games so that they gel. I managed to squeeze 16 friendlies in for Leipzig (won 14, lost 2), but as soon as the season starts its yellows and reds all over the show and like they've never met each other.

My Wednesday team, after I got them promoted, struggled in mid-table for four years. Now I'm not expecting to turn them into Liverpool or Man City, but there was next to no progress. Even after building up a healthy transfer kitty and buying better quality players, the results were still very hit and miss. A Carabao Cup game against Crewe - played a strong side, dominated the match, 30 shots, 15 on target - Crewe had 0 shots and won on pens. We've all had bad beats over the years but no matter how strong my side is or how weak the opponents are, it's still a coin toss whether I get any kind of result. I broke the Prem season record for discipline in January! Full-backs will get booked every game.

Opposing goalkeepers with ratings of 6.5 or worse will suddenly turn into world beaters against me. I usually have to average 5/6 shots on target to score and then their donkey CD will knock a 70 yard pass into space for a 93rd minute winner.

I know I sound bitter and there probably is a solution or two out there, but I'm really getting to the point where it's hard to care any more. It's just not enjoyable to play because EVERY match contains some unrealistic nonsense.

It’s all good - I have no problem with anyone being bitter/grumpy or having a vent, as i said earlier, most of us have been in the situation before so know that general ‘feeling cocktail’ of anger/despair/frustration/hopelessness; you just want to play the game you bought & have fun - getting continually stuffed by things you seemingly can’t directly control is the opposite of that!

I know when you’re in that mindset that people suggesting things can be more frustrating than helpful but i’ll make a couple of quick suggests that you can take, leave or even come back to at a later date (when the desire to throw the pc out of the window dissipates!);

I haven’t looked over Knap’s (awesome) tactics too much this year so far but suspect pressing is set to very high (because it crunches the ME); strongly suspect that’s where a lot of your pain with discipline is coming from - be wary of making changes to a proven winning tactic, but you can try tweaking the pressing down a notch and changing particular players tackling settings down too etc. I tend to do this when im winning anyway as a habit from FM19 as the players were stupidly good from free kicks so it was suicide to concede them. You can even save variants of your tactic so you’ve got an ‘original - full press’ version and a ‘be nice’ alternative.

Before the game (& this is micro-managey & i’ve made a feature request) take a look at the ref you’re told is handling the game; it seems there are always a few ‘deliberate asshats’ in the league so you can actually start to predict the games where you’ll get one of those stupid 2 minute red card decisions; there’s no foolproof counter, but playing your ‘be nice’ variant and avoiding any hotheads (check player personalities when buying etc) can certainly help.

Other things I could suggest you come back to are all written in the ‘mentality masterplan’ thread; someone has linked it a few posts back so ill not link it again, but it covers off some of the basics we all take for granted & goes into detail about how to react in-game to some of the BS. Might be too much micro-management - hey, we all play the game differently - but it’s a starting point/suggestion to at least try and help you find the ‘FM love’ again (FM07 became one of my favourites in the end for example, despite bouncing off & HATING it at first)

Optimus has recently mentioned about checking referee before game.

I think the worst I've had was Mata going on as a sub and immediately sent off and a red recently after about 20 secs. The tactics are aggressive and it happens but certainly from testing not the worst in league.

Edited by knap

I was told Sicilian is a solid,defensive,good tactic for underdog.

but actually its not.

with saints or vela,just can't win.

lost  by 0-3,3-6,1-4 etc

defense is a joke.

apologize for my rude comments.

I really thank creators like knap.

just mad at the game and myself,

Edited by 15214336646
apologize

24 minutes ago, 15214336646 said:

I was told Sicilian is a solid,defensive,good tactic for underdog.

but actually its not.

with saints or vela,just can't win.

lost  by 0-3,3-6,1-4 etc

defense is a joke.

So you just made this account on saturday, to come in and attack creators? How interesting.

5 minutes ago, 15214336646 said:

attack creators?

I didn't mean that,I m not so good at english,maybe made some wrong meaning here.

Im sorry.

It’s ok, it reads a little harshly but no-one’s going to hold it against you, especially if not your first language etc.

Maybe tell us ‘why’ it’s bad & we can maybe help you more/point you in a different direction? You’re conceding a lot of goals it seems, but perhaps attack is the best form of defense? Are you playing as Scunthorpe in the EPL in which case maybe you’re asking too much from a tactic etc...?

Fwiw; on 19, sicilian helped my FC United team DESTROY teams like Man City, but it struggled massively against teams we were on similar(ish) terms with... Its all relative?

13 hours ago, Nomer said:

does it work well with the latest patch version and stuff? if so on which page is it? or hell the download link lol been struggling too much

Flying on the new patch. 

It's on the first page in the opening post. FM20.2 SICILIAN P101

100% results have become better! It 's autosave season two for an outsider. Only 1 defeat after early sent off. After defeat i set 4-1-4-1, work perfectly. All matches on Instant Result. Before patch 20.2.3, there were no such good results on this stretch. Use 4-4-2 t 4-1-4-1 against strong teams.

2019-12-24 (1).png

FM20.2BEOWULF442WAFKnapP107ALLCUPS.fmf FM205WULF4141SPKnapP101ECFACC.fmf

Have you tried dropping the MC's to DMC and AMC to MC in a 4231? I won the league unbeaten (29 win/9 draws/96 points) with Utd with a fairly basic setup (not many team/individual instructions) and not many signings (Ajer/Haaland/Luis). However, I had to manage every game on full/comprehensive and micro-manage. Was a mixture of sitting deep and hitting on the counter and the all-out high-line, high-pressing Gegenpressing. Didn't trust instant result on FMT.

The 'deep' 4231 was very solid (16 goals) but not that creative (75). I'm sure with some Knap 'magic' - player/team instructions etc. it could be much improved.