PMLF

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Constantine said:

One example: Žoao Mutinjo / João Moutinho

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

-nho is usually -njo.

NJ is a single character, seperate from N and J. Pronounced the same as for example in English for NEW. NJU = NEW (same pronouncation, hence the Njukasl).
There's alo LJ.

-ão, a isn't changed, but when you pronounce -o like -u at the end, that changes sometimes. (Or is that just people in Portugal that do it, idk :D)
But João for example is Žoao.

Looks like a decent solution for those cases, given the translation limitations.

I can't criticize the Serbians regarding that anyway as people here can't pronounce your names either and many people here think Slavic names have too many consonants (so they don't understand those single character cases like the NJ you mentioned).

3 hours ago, PMLF said:

Some clubs have better names this way than in their original spelling!

almost all of them, bar the ones that have the exact same spelling

and that's not even taking into account possible spelling of special characters

2 hours ago, PMLF said:

Looks like a decent solution for those cases, given the translation limitations.

I can't criticize the Serbians regarding that anyway as people here can't pronounce your names either and many people here think Slavic names have too many consonants (so they don't understand those single character cases like the NJ you mentioned).

always wondered why some languages and the maps used there change spelling of some cities whereas in other countries and/or in other geography books they use the spelling of the "locals" ie Rome/Roma, Paris/Parijs etc

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

How come Nani isn't in the Portugal squad? Bit surprised at that...unless he's injured?

**** season for Lazio with just 632 minutes played. No role for him on the team - if you're looking for a pure forward to partner Ronaldo there's André Silva, if you're looking for someone to make a barely passable impression of Ronaldo in his absence, or play as some kind of 2nd forward there's Guedes, if you're looking for a playmaker on the wing there's Bernardo Silva, and if you're looking for a pure winger to run down the touchline and show some flair there's Quaresma and Gelson.

28 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Shame as I think Nani offers a bit more than Quaresma, more of a goal threat. Not seen a lot of Guedes or Gelson although I know they're both highly rated.

They offer different things. Quaresma has been a great joker card for Fernando Santos to throw onto the pitch in the last few minutes, which has saved our arse a few times. He's a good "can opener" for when the match is shut down by a defensive side, and someone needs to do something unpredictable. A pure winger with incredible flair like Quaresma can do that (and he's a great crosser).

Nani the last Euros played more like a forward next to Ronaldo, leaving the initial creative phase of play to others. Unsurprisingly, playing further forward in the center of the pitch means you get into more goalscoring positions. But now with André Silva it makes little sense to play a Ronaldo-Nani duo of forwards - specially since André Silva has been doing very well for the national team, combining well with Ronaldo and scoring quite a decent amount of goals.

You could make a case for Nani to be the alternative to André Silva, but I suspect that will be Guedes instead (although Ronaldo-Guedes upfront was tried in a friendly and it didn't really work) or even Ronaldo as lone striker with Bruno Fernandes as a close #10 - Bruno Fernandes is more of a midfielder than a forward, but has a great eye for all kinds of goals, specially from long distance. Another alternative is Ronaldo lone striker, Bernardo Silva as #10 and Gelson/Quaresma/Guedes on the wing instead.

Starting 11 should be like this:

-----------Ronaldo-------André Silva------------
------------------------------------------------
João Mário------------------------Bernardo Silva
--------William Carvalho---João Moutinho--------
Raphael Guerreiro----Pepe---Bruno Alves---Cédric
------------------Rui Patrício------------------

Personally, out of the called up players, I'd swap Cédric and Bruno Alves (or Fonte, it's unclear which CB will play next to Pepe) for Ricardo Pereira and the young CB Ruben Dias.

These players are in Brazil's reserve list:

Neto (Valencia)
Rafinha (Bayern)
Alex Sandro (Juventus)
Dedé (Cruzeiro)
Rodrigo Caio (São Paulo)
Arthur (Grêmio)
Maicon (Grêmio) 
Luan (Grêmio)
Giuliano (Fenerbahçe)
Dudu (Palmeiras)
Lucas Paquetá (Flamengo)
Rodriguinho (Corinthians)

2 hours ago, Haguey said:

Portugals overall squad is strong and Ronnie is a legend but I can't believe Bruno Alves and Jose Fonte are still considered amongst your best CB's :D

It doesn't help that one of the most promising youngish CB's is in jail with his career ruined.:onmehead:

Bierhoff just said that Neuer will be the first choice goalkeeper.
A big gamble if you ask me, it's really difficutlt for a keeper to be sharp after being out for so long.

In other news, Guerrero's cocaine suspension has been lift and he will play for Peru.

On 25/05/2018 at 23:30, FaceCrusher said:

It doesn't help that one of the most promising youngish CB's is in jail with his career ruined.:onmehead:

I never rated him at all, but at least he still had pace/acceleration/agility above 5 ;) 

In the near future our CB pairing will quickly become Ruben Dias and ?????????? - one of the Porto Diogos, maybe? But knowing Fernando Santos he'll still call up Pepe until he's 38 like Ricardo Carvalho :D  (to be fair, as long as he's better than the other options I don't care if he's 38 or 45)

Even all the backups are getting old too, like Rolando and Luis Neto.... Maybe Paulo Oliveira can get his career back on track and get back to a good club now that he's playing regularly in Spain for Eibar.

Belgiums final squad leaked because the company that's sending the personalized matrasses to Russia forgot to take off the tags with the players full names. 5 players that didn't make the cut had to find out they're not going through the papers then.
Januzaj, Dendoncker, J. Lukaku, Selz, Kabasele reportedly axed. Curious to get a statement from Martinez now. Scenes.

Serbia: Final 23

Goalkeepers : Vladimir Stojković (Partizan), Marko Dmitrović (Eibar), Predrag Rajković (Makabi Tel Aviv).

Defense : Antonio Rukavina (Viljareal), Branislav Ivanović (Zenit), Duško Tošić (Gvandžou R&F), Aleksandar Kolarov (Roma), Nikola Milenković (Fjorentina), Milan Rodić (Crvena zvezda), Uroš Spajić (Anderleht), Miloš Veljković (Verder)

Midfield: Luka Milivojević (Kristal Palas), Nemanja Matić (Mančester junajted), Sergej Milinković Savić (Lacio), Dušan Tadić (Sautempton), Adem Ljajić (Torino), Andrija Živković (Benfika), Marko Grujić (Liverpul), Filip Kostić (Hamburg), Nemanja Radonjić (Crvena zvezda).

Attack: Aleksandar Mitrović (Njukasl/Fulam), Aleksandar Prijović (PAOK), Luka Jović (Ajntraht).

All is well but... Grujic, who was bang average in Cardiff instead Gacinovic, who had great season at Eintracht? Or even Maksimovic, who at least played some games at Valencia? 

2 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Aparently they sold 3million Nigerian shirts in 15 minutes since going on sale today :D

They're quite funky, tempted to get one myself! 

Am I the only one who finds their shirts really ugly? I must be.

Somehow worse than our away kit last season....

plymouth_argyle_17_18_puma_away_kit.jpgnike-news-football-soccer-nigeria-nation

The bright green and black together looked bleddy horrible.

4 hours ago, av3ry said:

1 hour ago, LilSaint said:

Was just going to say i dont get the fuss over the nigeria kit, think it looks awful.

Maybe the fact it's so ugly it's why it's such a success.

14 hours ago, av3ry said:

It`s different than the kits Nike/Adidas usually make, maybe that`s why it went so well. It also has that retro look (but then again, plenty of World Cup teams went retro with their kits), I think it looks pretty good. 

Whats this I've heard that Bilel Mohsni has not made the last 23 for Tunisia, would have been fun watching him try and mark Eden Hazard getting stressed out and snapping someone.

More importantly, what was Bilel Mohsni doing in the prelimanary squad in the first place?

2 hours ago, av3ry said:

Whats this I've heard that Bilel Mohsni has not made the last 23 for Tunisia, would have been fun watching him try and mark Eden Hazard getting stressed out and snapping someone.

More importantly, what was Bilel Mohsni doing in the prelimanary squad in the first place?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44342860

Here's that team for you, and personally I've only heard about 3 or 4 players in that squad.

Also @Wigmore, you need another striker for your draft man cause your boy Ahmed Akaichi got cut as well :D

Russia named their final squad.

Cherchesov bottled it. Dropped Rausch, the best LB in the squad, Neustadter, the best CB in the squad, and also left out the two uncapped wildcards Chalov (20) and Tashaev (23).

Gabulov got in cause he's mates with Cherchesov. Moved to Belgium in Jan and played 4 games and was dropped, but got in ahead of two other goalkeepers who had amazing seasons (Guilherme and Dzhanaev).

Zhirkov is past it but looks like he'll be the starting LWB or even winger which is embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Suggy33 said:

Russia named their final squad.

Cherchesov bottled it. Dropped Rausch, the best LB in the squad, Neustadter, the best CB in the squad, and also left out the two uncapped wildcards Chalov (20) and Tashaev (23).

Gabulov got in cause he's mates with Cherchesov. Moved to Belgium in Jan and played 4 games and was dropped, but got in ahead of two other goalkeepers who had amazing seasons (Guilherme and Dzhanaev).

Zhirkov is past it but looks like he'll be the starting LWB or even winger which is embarrassing.

Gabulov ffs, he's a joke

The midfielders are the only real positive.

Dzageov, Golovin, Kuzyaev, Zobnin, Miranchuk x2 are all great players. Erokhin is also a solid player, and while Gazinskiy seems to divide opinion, I'm a big fan of him.

I'd probably pick this.

Akinfeev; Smolnikov, Mario Fernandes, Ignashevich, Granat, Kudryashov; Dzagoev, Zobnin, Golovin; Alexey Miranchuk; Smolov (5-3-1-1)

Archived