• FM15
    • FM16
    • FM17
    • FM18

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RinusFM said:

I think FM is more accessible and more real life since they introduced roles instead of weird sliders.  

No comment against you, but I feel the exact opposite. The game is less accessible and less like real life since they introduced the roles instead of the sliders.

Best version of FM IMO has to be before the change in dialogs, when there were about 4 abstract options and you could imagine the direction of the conversation. Before they took away time wasting as its own instruction. What version is that? I think around 13.

3 hours ago, tacticsdude said:

No comment against you, but I feel the exact opposite. The game is less accessible and less like real life since they introduced the roles instead of the sliders.

Best version of FM IMO has to be before the change in dialogs, when there were about 4 abstract options and you could imagine the direction of the conversation. Before they took away time wasting as its own instruction. What version is that? I think around 13.

Absolutely correct

Reason for the poll was the fact I had to give up on FM18 . The main reasons were the fact that it has become more of a chore than a enjoyable game plus the match day graphics are now too high end and I can't enjoy the game day experience due to choppy graphics hurting my eyes.  We don't all have high end computers . Anyway so I went back to FM15 . 

I voted for FM13, just because I've had my favourite and longest career on that version of the game. I'm in season 30 and still playing. (My previous best was 12 seasons in CM00/01.)

If you'd asked me what I thought was the best game in the series, I'd have voted for FM17 (even with the horrific newgen faces).

I have sung the praises of FM12 in various threads across these forums, receiving a fair amount of negative comments, however FM12 is usually in second place to the current release in any polls carried out, and is still being played by many six years after release.  The question is this will FM18 still be being played and be in a high position in any polls in six years time, I very much doubt it

I could never now go back and play any game that predated the player collision introductions as they were so easy to exploit as to be boring, but they were also the most enjoyable (up until you either figured out the exploit or realised you'd inadvertently been using it).

FM2008 was lovely, clean bright and user friendly, an absolute treat.

FM 11 also turned into a nice neat and tidy game.

That doesn't mean I could enjoy playing them now though.

The last 3 have gone back to being a gameable exploitable mess, and with 18 being the worst from a UI perspective.

17 probably the actual best in real terms, even if older ones were more fun.

Thanks a lot, Welshace. 

I must say i am surprised with numbers if they are accurate. Didnt expect this fallout in the last few years.

Wonder if people are disappointed with direction where the game is going, or if there is some context.

Sorry for being a bit off topic

I can't believe for one moment that those figures from VG Chartz tell the whole story. I'd guess that they track only physical sales, and not digital sales.

Steamspy seem to offer (possibly) more accurate information on how many Steam users own a particular game. Again, this might not be spot-on, but the numbers seem to be about right:

• FM15 - 1.153m owners
  • FM16 - 1.123m owners
  • FM17 - 1.138m owners
  • FM18 - 594k owners (so far)

20 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I can't believe for one moment that those figures from VG Chartz tell the whole story. I'd guess that they track only physical sales, and not digital sales.

Steamspy seem to offer (possibly) more accurate information on how many Steam users own a particular game. Again, this might not be spot-on, but the numbers seem to be about right:

• FM15 - 1.153m owners
  • FM16 - 1.123m owners
  • FM17 - 1.138m owners
  • FM18 - 594k owners (so far)

Surely SI should have accurate sales figures for all releases

6 ore fa, Tony Wright 747 ha scritto:

I have sung the praises of FM12 in various threads across these forums, receiving a fair amount of negative comments, however FM12 is usually in second place to the current release in any polls carried out, and is still being played by many six years after release.  The question is this will FM18 still be being played and be in a high position in any polls in six years time, I very much doubt it

I agree with you, since 2011 my ranking is this:

1) FM12
2) FM13
3) FM11
4) FM14
5) FM16
6) FM15
7) FM17
8) FM18

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Surely SI should have accurate sales figures for all releases

I can't imagine they'd be excited to release them. I can objectively say that of the versions I've played, it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13. When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

I don't know how SI maintains a consistent decline in features and enjoyment when in theory they are actively working to improve the game, but it seems that nobody is happy with it. Certainly not players like me nor the ones reflected in the sales, and SI couldn't be happy with the decline either.

I just sincerely hope that we don't go around allowing ourselves to blame the peripheral reasons. That the industry is in decline, players are not into immersive games anymore, the next generation of gamers wants more stylish graphics, etc. All of that is BS compared to the real reason: the quality of FM has declined sharply over the years.

32 minutes ago, tacticsdude said:

I can't imagine they'd be excited to release them. I can objectively say that of the versions I've played, it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13. When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

I don't know how SI maintains a consistent decline in features and enjoyment when in theory they are actively working to improve the game, but it seems that nobody is happy with it. Certainly not players like me nor the ones reflected in the sales, and SI couldn't be happy with the decline either.

I just sincerely hope that we don't go around allowing ourselves to blame the peripheral reasons. That the industry is in decline, players are not into immersive games anymore, the next generation of gamers wants more stylish graphics, etc. All of that is BS compared to the real reason: the quality of FM has declined sharply over the years.

SI have sold over a million copies of their last 5 games, and they released that info each year, so they're happy to release it because the games are still selling well.

Also, you say "objectively", but I don't think that means what you think that means. You're giving your opinion on a medium, which is your subjective opinion and trying to portray your opinion as anything other than subjective is disingenuous. Given that according to Streamspy , around 400,000 people have played FM18 in the last 2 weeks, and FM17 had over 180,000 people playing in the last 2 weeks (over a year and a half since it was released, and 3 months after the release of FM18), the 2 latest iterations of the game are doing damn well at present in terms of sales and player-retention.

1 minute ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

Also, you say "objectively", but I don't think that means what you think that means. You're giving your opinion on a medium, which is your subjective opinion

That's fair. What I meant is:

As objectively as a single individual can, having tried 5 or more versions of the series along the years between 08-17, having gone back and forth comparing them back to back, having assessed their pros and cons, making an effort to remove my personal feelings when making a decision,

having tried to appreciate the effort towards newer version and having enjoyed some of the improvements,

without solid stats but having read the opinions of hundreds of players,

it seems that every year the game is less enjoyable since FM13

And on a personal note I added,
When I'm done with my current FM17 career I'm going back to a previous version. (FM17 is near unplayable, the ME is a mess.)

And I'll expand that to say I was playing FM11 last year, so I have a very strong understanding of the differences between FM11 and FM17 (I'm not wearing rosy glasses about the distant past). FM17 is not half the game FM11 was, even though the interface is better and there are many new features, FM11 is a great game whereas FM17 is nearly unplayable from having so many flaws and just so many unworkable systems -

Note that I objectively* (see above) believe that in FM17 tactics are a mess, ME is a mess, scouting is a mess. I don't means "less than perfect", or "ok at best", but a true mess. The tactics system is not "ok" it is poor. The ME is not "ok" it is a disaster incapable of accurately representing even the big clubs and big players. The scouting is an utter failure. I say that as objectively as I can, making a serious effort to be level-headed. I know these are bold statements, I put 330+ hours into FM17 getting to this conclusion. I put over 1000 hours into FM11.

After finishing an 18 month save on FM16 I have gone back to FM12 which I beleive to be a better game with a better ME and I am able to fine tune my tactics better than in FM16.  In FM12 I can play a ball winning midfielder and if he gives away too many fouls I can instruct him to tackle easier, I couldn't do that in FM16 without changing his role.  A ball winning midfielder can still tackle without giving away fouls and I see this better replecated in the earlier version. This is just one example of how tactics are far more flexable in FM12, along with more realistic looking stadiums, crowds, lighting, weather etc.

4 minutes ago, Marius_R said:

No wonder the favorite FM series is the easiest one. 

Do you mean FM12 was easiest as in the ME is weak so the game is easy to beat? I've played FM11 and FM13 and I don't remember them being easy (medium maybe, but not easy).

FM17 is a walk in the part. I barely pay attention to the match tactical setup - couple minor tweaks in the first 15 mins and the points are in the bag. I do lose some games, but seldom due to tactics (even though I'm barely making an effort).

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Tony Wright 747:

What about regens faces, what about the wingers defensive duties and other ME issues

Regens faces completely irrelevant, wingers defensive duties a very minor issue. Overall nothing even close to game-breaking.

FM 17 is challenging and rewarding as it should be.

2 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

In terms of hours played, Steam states FM17 for me, with just under 4,000 hours logged.   I did thoroughly enjoy last years version.

Funnily enough, I reached 4,000 hours on FM13 today.

I played 196 hours on FM15, 343 hours on FM16, and 609 hours (and counting) on FM17. Those low numbers are more down to be being thoroughly invested in a long-term FM13 save, and not having much time to play the later games, than those later games being any less enjoyable.

1 hour ago, prot651 said:

So what has FM12 have that's so popular that FM18 doesn't . 

As others have said, FM12 had flaws which made it pretty easy to find a formula to repeat and be successful, negating a lot of everything else. A lot of it boiled down to having a pacy strike force, as the defenders weren't great at dealing with through balls or direct dribbling. Combine that with it being the last engine without collision detection- ie, the "best" version of that engine- and the nostalgia's understandable. It was a lot of fun, but certainly felt a bit more arcadey than FM usually does.

For me personally, it was also the version which I learned to get to grips with the Editor with, which has been getting slightly worse with each new iteration.

Still wasn't as good as FML, though :lol:

Archived