What's your long-term FM17 save

• Administrators

Pro Vercelli for me, just finished my third season. First season was a solid if unspectacular mid-table finish in Serie B, then snuck my way up to Serie A in the second season way too early.

Third season was trying to snatch points where I could, just managing to sneak a 16th place finish. Have a few decent prospects I hope don't get hoovered up elsewhere, and the board have started talks for a new stadium as my 5,500 capacity wasn't doing me many favours! :) 

19 hours ago, suncrush said:

Starting at St. Patrick's Athletic (Irish Premier)

Goal--Win the the Club World Cup with Arsenal.

All the teams in Ireland were too good, so I'm at Lurgan Celtic in N. Ireland instead.

Will have two. First will be to start with Forest, see through the takeover when it happens (on a simmed game happened around November, similar to what is happening IRL) and get them back to the the Prem. Unless I get sacked (where things get interesting for me as I'm a 'career man' rather than quit start again man), I usually end up making this my side save whilst starting a journeyman save with as many league files included as possible. Start unemployed, travel countries and throw in some challenges in there.

1 minute ago, gibbo11 said:

Will have two. First will be to start with Forest, see through the takeover when it happens (on a simmed game happened around November, similar to what is happening IRL) and get them back to the the Prem. Unless I get sacked (where things get interesting for me as I'm a 'career man' rather than quit start again man), I usually end up making this my side save whilst starting a journeyman save with as many league files included as possible. Start unemployed, travel countries and throw in some challenges in there.

I like doing a "career save."  Since me wife is monolingual, I'm setting a limitation that I can't take a job outside the English-speaking world until the salary offered is enough to support a family on a single income.

I am doing my usual unemployed, unqualified generally useless Sunday League footballer save trying to get to the top. I made it from relegating Weston-super-Mare out of the Vanarama South up to competing in the Champions League with Fiorentina on FM15 via various European leagues and a stint with Ghana.

I'm hoping to finally win a continental competition for the first time in a long term and I'd like to spread my wings to the Americas as well as Asia for the first time.

11 minutes ago, suncrush said:

I like doing a "career save."  Since me wife is monolingual, I'm setting a limitation that I can't take a job outside the English-speaking world until the salary offered is enough to support a family on a single income.

I like that, it has the unnecessarily realistic approach I like to take into my games too!

22 minutes ago, suncrush said:

Good idea that, nice challenge to contend with. It's like some LLM rules whereby you can only sign players from your clubs local area until you have the necessary funds to go further afield. Makes long term saves interesting!

33 minutes ago, suncrush said:

Have you checked her 'adaptability' rating?  :)

My wife insists on being the club chairman - she gets so much pleasure out of turning down every one of my board requests! (true story)

Yes, I'll be making my own bespoke club in a fantasy league. 23 levels. Level one, Premier League will be a European Superleague; further down the pyramid there'll be feeder Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Scandinavian, Indian, and Cambodian leagues along with hundreds of English. Right at the bottom will be our muddy field. My policy is to never buy/bring in any player and work wholly with the academy intake of local lads.

I've no particular target in mind - get far enough to play against small village teams I've actually heard of? Meet a league team in a cup (would require a lot of promotions though)? Just get more promotions under my belt (record is 5 in FM15) before FM18 comes out? In the meantime I enjoy keeping a close eye on the big players, the superstar managers and players at the top levels, and I'll be able to observe Brexit at a distance that won't affect me at all. 

Argentinos Juniors in the Argentinian second division is my opening gambit. A club with a penchant for developing talent, historical links to Maradona, and the fact they have three offspring of a club legend sitting within the youth ranks.

I will also have the inevitable Arsenal game at some point.

34 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Have you checked her 'adaptability' rating?  :)

You know, it's funny, based on other evidence, you'd think it'd be ok, but I have never known someone so bad at learning languages!

29 minutes ago, gavo01 said:

Either Iceland, cause I just love this country and it's people, or, if possible, Kosovo, being a new national team to manage, hopefully, straight from the box.

Power to the Pirates! I love Iceland too, which is why some of their sides will be in my pyramid. I've also commandeered backgrounds from Iceland and the Faeroes for me fictitious Scottish island club!

I haven't selected a team, but I'll likely pick a weaker League 1 side and try to win the champions league.

Likely team will be one of the following:

- Northampton Town 

- Oxford United

- Bristol Rovers

- AFC Wimbledon

- Shrewsbury Town

- Chesterfield

- Oldham Athletic

- Swindon Town

I am going to have two managers - one will use my real name and manage a club in San Marino (not decided yet, just sorting out editor) plus San Marino national team, with the long term aim of getting into the Champions League and the World Cup, and my other manager will be a made up name, who will manage Millmoor Juniors in Level 11, the Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior Football League Premier Division. They are from Rotherham like me and have the name of our old ground so I like the idea. The long term aim there is to get to the Premier League, but that may be unrealistic so I'd settle for getting to the Football League, which would still require 6 promotions!

AFC Wimbledon. Try to survive relegation in League 1 in the first season and then over time bring in new players with some "wheeling and dealing". Aim to get a promotion to the Championship in the next 3 years. (2018/19 season)

Longer term goal is to get to the Premier League!!

25 minutes ago, joshpmilton said:

After setting up and skipping through a month or two Margate of the Vanarama South are the (un)fortunate team to get me up and running. A nice return to my home county and one that I don't actually dislike!

My trial save on the Beta was Gosport, and Margate and Weston-super-mare were the two teams that made me want to spike my mouse.

i have to be honest i am really struggling to get in to this this year - i am starting unemployed with a national rep - no jobs are standing out (apart from the Wolves one) so have holidayed until the end of sept to see what is around 

really need some inspiration guys for a team to start with instead of seeing whats around ... 

Still plodding with my Man U beta save - delaying starting off a long term save as can't make up my mind what / where to go. Am tempted to start a game with Ludogorets in Bulgaria where I had a highly enjoyable game in FM15 but fear that it wouldn't be the same 2nd time round. To keep it Euro / non-uk based also considering starting in the Serb or Romanian leagues or with Ajax and try get them back winning the Champions League.

UK based - thinking a Newcastle save.

Started the beta with Salford and have just completed the 2nd season, won the playoff final to win promotion to the Vanarama National. 

Possibly keep this as my main save, although fancied a bit of an alternative challenge. Downloaded the expanded Chilean leagues last night, thinking about a lower league challenge there. Never managed in South America in any version of FM before, so could be fun. 

On 04/11/2016 at 21:41, suncrush said:

I'd pay good money for a Nether Wallop mailing address.

In fact, if there's not a company making protective cups there, something has gone horribly wrong with the world.

I'm mentioned above my monster fantasy league. I actually scour the database for silly and 'nice' sounding places. I replace dull names of places I've no attachment to, like 'Newtown'. I just love spending hours gazing at obscure league tables full of beautiful place-names :idiot:

Currently into my 4th season with Vizela from the Portuguese League. Started in the Second Division and got relegated straight away, but promoted back straight away, and missed an immediate promotion into the Premier League by 1 position. Currently 3rd in my 4th season after 9 games.

Seems that Stuttgart's relegation last season, and their starting in 2. Liga has slipped under the radar on these forums a little bit. My first long term save is going to be to try to get them back into the top of German football. I am just updating the German leagues to add more levels though before I start.

In the mean time I am having a test save with Manchester United. I am probably going to win the league in the first season, perhaps the Europa League too. However I am currently failing the FFP for the European competitions. Ooops.

Will start with Newport County, the goal to make the club self sustainable though youth development while climbing the leagues. Also starting with no badges and sunday league history. Also hoping for the worst possible Brexit to make it a little harder.

For me this is the best FM yet...still on my beta save and been playing 100 hours. Currently half way through my 4th season, I had a bit of a shaky start....

• Newcastle - my home time club (always start my first save with them)....struggling with tactics this year and managed to get sacked in November of the first season...(4th season and they are still in championship)

• Fleetwood - dropped a division (L1) and decided to take on this club after several (exactly the same) interviews.....again, struggled with tactics and just didnt feel they were the right club for me, club threatening to sack me, finished the season 20th and resigned - i think they have sacked a further 6 managers since.

• Sheff Utd - seemed to be a good club to start with, took over in September of 2nd season and after going on an unbeaten 11 game run and then just couldnt get into the flow - I did win the Checkatrade cup but board werent too bothered about that so ended up finishing 19th and resigned.

• Wycombe Wanderers - Started this team in September of 3rd season and had task of avoiding relegation, few up and down games and good highlight was winning 8-1 away from home...finished the season 10th and winning the Checkatrade cup (board were delighted). I felt I have built a rapport with the players and fans and go for playoffs in the 4th season. Currently in November, doing really well in 2nd place and won an away game 7-2. Will see how far I can take this team as they have some potential.

In previous games I tend to get board around the 4th season and start a new save....but I am thoroughly enjoying this save and trying to build my reputation to take over a bigger club in a few years (hopefully back to the Toon!)....I am struggling to let go of this game to play the likes of Mafia 3 and Skyrim, also have the PS4 Pro preordered on Thursday....but this game is taking over my life....the fact that I try to get a game or 2 in the morning before work is saying something haha

I started unemployed and found a job with FC Smorgon in the Belorussian second tier. I got promoted to the top flight in my third season in charge and finished a respectful 8th in my first season up. I'm hoping to challenge for a European slot next season, but it might be a bit too much for my squad as it is. 

MRWzRE0.png

I haven't decided whether I want to stay and turn Smorgon into a European giant or move around Europe a bit. I'll wait and see if I get any interesting offers I guess.

Ipswich Town.

Aim is to take them back in to the Premiership and in to European competition.

I'm only in late September in my first season but have started well.

Signed a young Swedish striker called Mikael Ikash from Randers FC who has started well, scoring 6 in 9 league games.

At some point I'll start another save with my second team - Montpellier HSC.

I'm loving FM17 just started the Dafuge challange with Kettering Town but i think the other saves will be

Liverpool

Carear

Stafford (local team) - getting them to the Prem? (came close in FM15 - Championship League)

The Ultimate Football Manager Challange

Archived