Looking for your honest opinion on FM 17

I am looking for your honest feedback on FM 17 please from anyone who is playing the game, I have tried looking through the feedback thread but as usual not much proper feedback.

I am in two minds this year for the first year since champ manager weather to buy this years version after last years game.

Thanks in advance.

I think it's a pretty good version. The ME seems to be in a good place and the changes to the likes of Squad Analysis etc are very welcome.

The social feed is junk imho and is already predictable and repetitive after only playing a couple of weeks ( almost every event is met with 3 tweet - 1 positive , 1 negative and one more or less neutral) but it's easily to just ignore this part of the game.

All in all I think it's worth a buy.

6 minutes ago, monkeywool said:

It's pretty much a more polished version of 16 with a few graphical improvements and small additions.

If you enjoyed 16 then you'll probably enjoy this. 

Never really enjoyed 16 to be honest mate could never get any tactics to work properly and a team to play how I set the tactics out, that was a big problem for me last year but all previous versions were ok.

1 minute ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

I think it's a pretty good version. The ME seems to be in a good place and the changes to the likes of Squad Analysis etc are very welcome.

The social feed is junk imho and is already predictable and repetitive after only playing a couple of weeks ( almost every event is met with 3 tweet - 1 positive , 1 negative and one more or less neutral) but it's easily to just ignore this part of the game.

All in all I think it's worth a buy.

Thanks treble appreciated.

The new features in the inbox make the game more convenient. It does feel a bit more polished. But I still see the same silly player moves in match (e.g., free-kick ping-pongs, unintended almost-goal crosses, and weird offsides).

The worst for me is licensing issues: many countries with masked club names and an incredibly poor player facepack. I had lots of work fixing that. That's definitely a turn-off.

If you have the money and is passionate about FM, I'd say buy it now. Otherwise, you can wait for a promotional discount or just skip. Nothing mind blowing this year.

19 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

The new features in the inbox make the game more convenient. It does feel a bit more polished. But I still see the same silly player moves in match (e.g., free-kick ping-pongs, unintended almost-goal crosses, and weird offsides).

The worst for me is licensing issues: many countries with masked club names and an incredibly poor player facepack. I had lots of work fixing that. That's definitely a turn-off.

If you have the money and is passionate about FM, I'd say buy it now. Otherwise, you can wait for a promotional discount or just skip. Nothing mind blowing this year.

Thanks, facepacks is always a big job for most FM players has been for years and will continue I imagine, same with licensing mate not much we can do about that it comes down to money at the end of the day.

I am passionate about the game I have played and also beta tested this game for years which is when the fun faded I think due to the testing process noticing bugs not fixed and still in games a few years later.  I dont know if I am just getting older and losing interest and the game is not for me anymore.

43 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Not an issue at all. I would have lost interest in this game 20 years ago if it weren't for the large and brilliant community of amateur modders who supply all the graphics, extra leagues and fixes you could dream of, for free.

30 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Not an issue at all. I would have lost interest in this game 20 years ago if it weren't for the large and brilliant community of amateur modders who supply all the graphics, extra leagues and fixes you could dream of, for free.

Love this game too. I appreciate modders to a point I make donations for their fixes.  It's great when modders modify a game to make it different, but not ok when they are fixing a faulty product. Modders, not fixers.

I understand licensing issues suck, but as a consumer I'd expect more from FM in terms of licensing as well as bugs and coding. Some YouTube reviewer said that FM graphics is 1990s technology... I also appreciate moderators efforts to repair the game, but that's not a good solution either.

Bottom line is that FM gamers are way more tolerant than the average software consumer... All for the passion (and addiction) of the game.

35 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

Love this game too. I appreciate modders to a point I make donations for their fixes.  It's great when modders modify a game to make it different, but not ok when they are fixing a faulty product. Modders, not fixers.

I understand licensing issues suck, but as a consumer I'd expect more from FM in terms of licensing as well as bugs and coding. Some YouTube reviewer said that FM graphics is 1990s technology... I also appreciate moderators efforts to repair the game, but that's not a good solution either.

Bottom line is that FM gamers are way more tolerant than the average software consumer... All for the passion (and addiction) of the game.

Have to respectfully disagree. Why would you want to pay 20-30% more for the game with official licenses when you get get them for free? I also believe there is no better value than the cost of FM. How much would you spend on one evening down the boozer? More than the price of a game you play for a year. When I think of the hundreds of games I haven't bought due to obsession with this one, and the thousands of evenings in, there is nothing that has saved me as much dosh as this game. I'd say I owe SI shovelfuls of tolerance!

47 minutes ago, phd_angel said:

I don't think you understand how licensing works and how much it costs. SI/Sega would have to get into a bidding war with EA to win rights. And they would lose each and every time. You've got highly unrealistic expectations when it comes to licensing.

If you're looking for honest feedback on how good/bad the game is, stop reading this forum after 4th November. The people who have the game just now are the hardcore followers of the game, and as such will be more honest (either way - with a few exceptions of course)

Once the general public get their hands on it is when the standard of feedback drops through the floor. 

51 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you're looking for honest feedback on how good/bad the game is, stop reading this forum after 4th November. The people who have the game just now are the hardcore followers of the game, and as such will be more honest (either way - with a few exceptions of course)

Once the general public get their hands on it is when the standard of feedback drops through the floor. 

Those who complain will be vocal, those who enjoy the game won't. So in the end most of the feedback is negative because those people are just more vocal, willing to express their opinions and then theres also a amount of people who dont know how the game work and therfore conclude its bad or they simply cant get things to work and complain because they cant win. Its hard to get constructive feedback and thats what you see over the years unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Both have reduced massively in size though so it doesn't really make a difference. Neither are anywhere near the size of EA anymore.

Konami are probably bigger than ever, just much less focused on videogames.

6 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The average poster might be more hardcore but I don't agree with your line of reasoning. Until now at the time every year the forum has been packed with posters raging at how broken the beta is and how they're never going to buy the game again. There's a very significant difference in the feel of the forum this time.

I am enjoying the game, with all the new features available, 90% of the time I only press space until matchday. I scout onced in a while. I think FM still fails to create the non-footballing responsibilty of a manager to be enjoyable. To be more hands on with training and clubs facilities should be improve in the future. 

My manager created in 3D appears to have whiskers like a fat meerkat, my director of football doesn't do anything even though it's his responsibility, and Hibs got into the Europa League group stage in two different saves.  Apart from this, it's a pretty good game.

5 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Konami are probably bigger than ever, just much less focused on videogames.

Oh really? I didn't know that, only that they have reduced their investment in video games like you mention. I would still say they are quite far off EA in terms of size though.

14 minutes ago, hannahrr said:

My manager created in 3D appears to have whiskers like a fat meerkat, my director of football doesn't do anything even though it's his responsibility, and Hibs got into the Europa League group stage in two different saves.  Apart from this, it's a pretty good game.

I agree re the create a manager thing, mine looks like a grinning zombie, I showed my wife and she burst out laughing. Why wouldn't Hibs get into the Europa group stages, IRL they lost out very narrowly to Brondby after beating them over there.

6 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

The average poster might be more hardcore but I don't agree with your line of reasoning. Until now at the time every year the forum has been packed with posters raging at how broken the beta is and how they're never going to buy the game again. There's a very significant difference in the feel of the forum this time.

Na, the first couple of weeks is always the most forgiving. It's when the main release hits and the more casual gamer gets their hands on it that the sluice well and truly opens...

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Oh really? I didn't know that, only that they have reduced their investment in video games like you mention. I would still say they are quite far off EA in terms of size though.

Not sure on specifics, or how rich EA are, but Konami are one of the biggest pachinko companies in the world, and they make about 3 billion a year off them.

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Na, the first couple of weeks is always the most forgiving. It's when the main release hits and the more casual gamer gets their hands on it that the sluice well and truly opens...

Forgiving isn't a word I'd use to describe the first few weeks before release or after in my experience .. this year has been overwhelmingly more positive thus far. Of course every sort of view, positive or negative is magnified after release, but it's been a picnic so far. ( *touch wood*)

Loving FM17. I usually dabble with the Beta and start a new game when the full release comes out but I'm already absorbed.

3D Match engine feels more realistic, some of the players responds to loose balls are wonderful. Finally some games feel like you're scrapping for the ball. 

Love the low behind the goal view. It's like being there. 

Interactions with staff are really good now, you feel like there' coming to see you and working for you now. 

Social media is good. Maybe in FM18 we'll have a constant feed during matches too. 

Overall, this feels like a more polished version of the series. Not a huge step up in terms of features but clearly a lot of work done to finesse what's already there. Top work SI. 

• Administrators

Do think it's the best version we've done. Am getting a lot of enjoyment out of my Pro Vercelli save, feel the match engine is nicely balanced likewise the game world as a whole from AI/Squad selection etc. Only near the end of my third season in this save though, but from that really putting the hours in. Only 7 days, 18 hours and 9 minutes so far! :D 

I think the game is really quite good. But once the full version is out, I will wait for the first patch before I start my real career game.

The last version I played was FM2014, and I was rather astonished to find that three old issues are still there. 1) Players standing still to receive a long-range pass, which allows an opponent to simply snatch it away from them (the person who is intended to receive the pass will stand still, but everybody else on the pitch will be active - this is extremely annoying). 2) Strength being superior to skill; in real life, it is very difficult to get the ball off Philippe Coutinho, and almost impossible to get it off Andres Iniesta, but in the game, their relative lack of strength and size means that anyone who wants can just take the ball away from them. 3) Players letting a clearance run out of play, especially after a corner, when it would be much, much, much more sensible to continue playing and pile on the pressure.

I was also very displeased to notice two annoying bugs: 1) Players complaining about lack of first team games when they have played almost all games. 2) Fans complaining about you fielding a weakened team when you've fielded your absolute first eleven. I have brought these both to SI's attention in the relevant forum, and I've been reassured they're under investigation, which is good. But both of them have rather spoiled my experience of the game so far.

Now, despite the fact that my current beta game isn't going to be the one I'm really trying to get my hands on, I do think that the game is really, really good. Once those two bugs have been fixed, I think it's going to be a smash.

12 hours ago, jc1 said:

I agree re the create a manager thing, mine looks like a grinning zombie, I showed my wife and she burst out laughing. Why wouldn't Hibs get into the Europa group stages, IRL they lost out very narrowly to Brondby after beating them over there.

Scotland hardly ever get teams into Europe. I should also have mentioned that Hearts and Aberdeen also waltzed in with no difficulties twice.  I can barely remember when a team other than Celtic got to the group stage. Aberdeen I think did a few years back, and Hearts did over a decade ago. Three teams with no problem? Hearts won 4-0 against West Ham. No chance. Also Celtic are awful in one save and decent but not great in the other. It feels a lot random.

Twelve games into pre-season in a test save until the full version is released.

I am impressed. I have come into FM17 from FM15 which, incidentally, is my favourite iteration of the series and there are some marked improvements.

The engine feels fluid and without any game-breaking inconsistencies (unlike the release version of, I think, FM14, where players were skating like they were playing ice hockey and the collision detection was horrid). The variation in play is improved and impressive:

• Freekicks - I've seen deadballs rattle into the top corner, miss narrowly, keepers performing wonder saves, freekicks hitting walls, players attempting low drives, others skewed horribly wide.
  • Crosses - greatly improved. Pinpoint crosses met by bullet headers, pinpoint crosses met by glancing headers, pinpoint crosses met by looping headers. Ugly crosses overhit, ugly crosses straight into the hands of the keeper. Fullbacks are now more aggressive and don't just 'allow' the cross to take place as they did in FM15.
  • One on ones - players are now much more likely to finish in a composed fashion, and the striking of the ball/keeper animations are much more realistic than previous.
  • General play - I've seen wingbacks switching play with 60 yard diagonals; attacking midfielders holding up play and recycling possession back to the defensive strata when no other passing options were viable; beautiful combination play; rapid-fire counter attacks; cheap misplaced passes setting up counter-attacks; pinball football around the box; goals going in off the arse of defenders, goals smashed into the top corner from 30 yards on the half volley - in short, a great range of what you'd expect in normal football without it being linear.
  • Roles - again, this seems improved. I've practiced with a libero and it is a joy to see the defenders split wide, or the libero rampaging upfield to try  a 30 yarder. Need to look over more roles, but the signs seem positive.

Any gripes I have are mostly limited to the layout (information overload!), which I feel has become overly fussy (and the specific footedness info now within the tactics page is mildly frustrating), I also do not see the point of the social media side of things.

Need to get further through the season to pick up the nuances, but I am impressed overall.

55 minutes ago, hannahrr said:

Scotland hardly ever get teams into Europe. I should also have mentioned that Hearts and Aberdeen also waltzed in with no difficulties twice.  I can barely remember when a team other than Celtic got to the group stage. Aberdeen I think did a few years back, and Hearts did over a decade ago. Three teams with no problem? Hearts won 4-0 against West Ham. No chance. Also Celtic are awful in one save and decent but not great in the other. It feels a lot random.

Someone else posted on another thread that there are a few strange goings on in his save and others agreed, Partick Thistle winning the league by 12 pts was one. Our problem up here is the money from TV is nothing compared to EPL and the rest of the big European leagues, we had good teams in Europe back in the 70-80's when TV money was not an issue and the kids were out playing football all the time instead of X Box etc, Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts et al were all regular teams in the old Fairs Cup, I remember Hibs playing some top European sides at Easter Road.

Our SPFL teams would do ok in the Championship and top of League 1, with Celtic and Rangers probably holding their own in the EPL due to the large crowds they attract, my team Hibs are averaging 15,500 this season, we seem to be getting there crowd wise.

I'm enjoying it more than any other game since FM12.  Think it's the most polished Beta to date and the 'flow' of the game just feels right, whereas the others since '12 didn't.  I wanted to offer constructive criticism on the others before but genuinely couldn't put my finger on what I thought was wrong.  They just didn't feel like Football Manager.  To the point where i'd uninstall after a few weeks into December and go back to 12.

This does to me.  Nothing feels like a chore and every tactical tweak I make feels like i'm doing something, right or wrong!

2 minutes ago, jc1 said:

Someone else posted on another thread that there are a few strange goings on in his save and others agreed, Partick Thistle winning the league by 12 pts was one. Our problem up here is the money from TV is nothing compared to EPL and the rest of the big European leagues, we had good teams in Europe back in the 70-80's when TV money was not an issue and the kids were out playing football all the time instead of X Box etc, Aberdeen, Hibernian, Hearts et al were all regular teams in the old Fairs Cup, I remember Hibs playing some top European sides at Easter Road.

Our SPFL teams would do ok in the Championship and top of League 1, with Celtic and Rangers probably holding their own in the EPL due to the large crowds they attract, my team Hibs are averaging 15,500 this season, we seem to be getting there crowd wise.

15,500? Wow. Usually you can hear what flavour crisps are being munched in the west stand.

Just now, hannahrr said:

15,500? Wow. Usually you can hear what flavour crisps are being munched in the west stand.

Winning the cup has helped a lot but even Hearts(16,500) and Aberdeen(13,500) have had a rise in their crowds this past couple of years, long may it continue, also helps we have a good few young clever managers in or game at the moment.

Archived