Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Yeah left back is a position where we need more competition for our starting player, and we're about to sell our only good centre back so he would fit in well there if we have injuries or something. Seems like an odd one from our perspective too, though, as we don't need him domestically and I suspect he would only be extra depth, certainly not likely to help us much in the Europa league.

Our Chief Exec's son works in the scouting department for your city rivals which is probably why we seem to love signing youth players from or former targets of Manchester clubs.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw man, I like Blackett, too. Don't necessarily think he is going to be great or anything but saw enough in him to think that he could potentially become very good.

Bloody hell, LVG, we need more defenders, not less.

He's not crap, but I don't think he has enough in his game for a career in United either. A bit odd if he is shipped out too, when Evans appears to be leaving. Blackett can play both CB and LB, and it's always nice to have versatile backup players.

Getting into that hectic period now, and I expect more incoming and outgoing in United. Some are bound to go on loan, and I do wonder what happens to McNair, Pereira and Wilson. All are near the first team, but not quite there yet.

Wilson has to be a better option than Chicha after the other night. LVG seemed to rate McNair quite highly so would expect him to stay as cover at CB. Pereira will go on loan I'm sure. What about Lingard, can't see any place for him at the moment.

losing evans and blackett makes no difference to the squad anyway, and doesn't leave us short. smalling, rojo, blind, jones and mcnair for cover is enough. i expect we're still in the market for a top CB, but i don't expect one this window. i guess that situation comes down to the right top quality person being available more than a pressing need to bring someone in.

That class of defenders coming through the same year were pretty good if I must say so myself. Pique, Evans, Shawcross, Chester, Cathcart. Evans might be playing alongside Chester at West Brom now, Cathcart doesn't look that bad for Watford, Shawcross is Stoke's captain, and I don't need to talk about Pique though. Even our rejects are still Premier League quality.

With the Evans sale the net transfer spend this summer is under £10 mill, and depending on what figures you go with borderline zero.

Back to the penny pinching ways then or a well hidden splurge of cash this long weekend.

With the Evans sale the net transfer spend this summer is under £10 mill, and depending on what figures you go with borderline zero.

Back to the penny pinching ways then or a well hidden splurge of cash this long weekend.

We have to penny pinch slightly so I laugh when people say we have money to spend. Before our latest set of sponsorship deals and the new TV deal, we were basically breaking even even after debt payments and that was with SAFs magic. We were clearing down the debt at an average rate of less than £15m a year.

Now we have more money in the coffers but our spending in the last 3 windows outpaced our new revenue streams and for the first time in nearly 8 years our debt actually climbed back up by £30m which you can blame on feeling a big impact from loss of CL (-£11m in CL broadcasting money & -£13m for a typical QF CL run). Our wage bill rocketed to the highest in the league and although we have brought that back down, we are back to where we were Pre-Moyes.

Our profits from ongoing football operations are enough to clear down the debt by about £20m a season which is what was promised in the prospectus (If I recall correctly). Our record for profits other than when we sold Ronaldo was just shy of £25m after tax. If we have a net neutral transfer window and everything else falls into place, we can actually get the debt back to where it would have been without the anomalies of the last 2 seasons.

My 2 cents, but watch us spend £60m on Cavani after I say that.

You have to consider though that we wanted Di Maria to stay. If he had then our net spend would be up. So I don't think it's necessarily back to penny pinching. The Glazers aren't stupid, they know the club has to remain competitive to be worth as much as it is and they know for the club to compete it has to keep spending year on year.

That said I wouldn't expect any last minute Di Maria-esque deals either. There's a real lack of quality players who are realistically available in the positions we need so there's no point spending for the sake of spending on someone who doesn't significantly improve the team.

Edit: @bagpuss

I don't see it as penny pinching either. When we sell DDG for £30m on tuesday we will have made money.

But it wasn't planned like that. Neither DDG or Di Maria would have been in the clubs mind when planning transfers this summer, so both sort of fudge the numbers.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see us signing anyone now. And except for a striker I'm very happy with our business this summer. I'm surprised we sold RVP if we didnt have a replacement lined up.

Hoping for this against Swansea:

Clean Sheets Romero

Darmian

Smalling

Blind

Shaw

Schneiderlin

Schweinsteiger

Herrera

Mata

Depay

Rooney

Schneiderlin didn't play midweek and I think he is a big part of our defensive displays so far. Would be surprised if he didn't start.

Its great to see a settled back 5, shame DDG isn't a part of it.

Ill get laughed out of the thread, but I think Smalling is the best defender in the league right now. Sure he he needs to improve his passing, but the lad is winning everything in the air and on the ground. No other defender in the league is playing as well. Hopefully he stays fit and it continues for a long time.

Knowing this is LVG, you know with Januzaj injured that he might as well play Fellaini instead of Herrera as hes back from suspension :(

Luckily he won't start him due to match rhythm, may come on as a sub.

Surprised he didn't feature in midweek.

LVG on Herrera

"I had a theoretical scheme in my head that he could play at no.10 and he did it well against Brugge."

No **** Sherlock

I thought he wasn't attacking enough...

Wilson is not a better option than Chicha. Chicha will win us a whole lot of points this season...

Agreed. He isn't going to miss sitters like that very often. And he got himself in position to score to begin with.

losing evans and blackett makes no difference to the squad anyway, and doesn't leave us short. smalling, rojo, blind, jones and mcnair for cover is enough. i expect we're still in the market for a top CB, but i don't expect one this window. i guess that situation comes down to the right top quality person being available more than a pressing need to bring someone in.

We don't need backups. We need a starter. So, yeah.

A lot of chatter that we're in discussions with PSG for Lucas Moura... take that for what you will.

And, Bale?

It actually wouldn't surprise me to see even 2 big signings coming in.

The players they are letting go on loan and selling, also the players they are willing to sell, it almost seems they are cutting the wage bill to bring in some real quality.

Also they really need someone else up front, also a CB, a real quality CB.

I don't think Man Utd are done yet in the transfer window.

We need to see the before and after pictures.

Man Utd have a got a big transfer coming up that's for sure.

I have a pretty good set of hair on me, definitely not wanting to shave it off. My mates know I love and take care of my hair more than a man should :D

Besides, I don't see any of the two moving anywhere let alone to United. Lewy just moved last summer and Muller is a one of a kind sort of player that Bayern might not willing to part ways with. We'll probably be bidding for someone like Cavani again, or maybe a wildcard like some Serie-A striker.

Wouldn't mind Götze either, if we're going to rob Bayern again. Don't see any of that happening though.

I'm still hoping for Laporte. I honestly think he'll be the best central defender in the world in a couple of years, plus he's left footed and LVG loves that symmetry. :p Some big name attacker would be great, but I just don't see any realistic target now.

Archived