Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many are reporting £36m PLUS £20m add ons.

Regardless if the fee means anything to us or not, The going to have to be exceptional or mentally untouchable to put up with the scrutiny he's going to be under for that fee.

When a lot of the French football guys are saying technically he is great but it's the mental/consistency side of the game he struggles with it's a bit of a worry.

De Gea will be staying. Real do not want to pay a fee for him so will wait to get him on a free especially know De gea is happy to do so. De Gea is happy to stay in order to pick up a huge signing on fee. The only loser in this deal is United. De Gea should have done the decent thing of handing in transfer request in may.

When a lot of the French football guys are saying technically he is great but it's the mental/consistency side of the game he struggles with it's a bit of a worry.

Do you really expect much else from a 19 year old?

Podolski - under 2 million;

Pedro - 21 million;

Cech - 10 million;

Deulofeu - 4 million;

Adama Traore - 7 million;

Anthony Martial - 36 million :O :O

I think it is madness, he is undoubtedly a very bright player but he has 4 goals in 12 games for France U-21s, scored only 11 goals in a less competitive league last season. People are saying that he is worth this money because he got the better of Bellerin (who is also a 'rookie' in professional football terms and was even more inexperienced last year).

Podolski is a world cup winner, Pedro is a CL, WC and Euro winner, Cech has been a fantastic goalkeeper since 2004.

I would place him in the same bracket as Deulofeu and Traore in terms of experience and reputation (has shown quality but still plenty of room to develop) and look at the prices both have gone for...

Maybe they should send James Wilson on loan to France for him to grab a few goals and then sell him for a similar price...

What is the difference in quality between Martial, Hernandez, Wilson?

Podolski - under 2 million;

Pedro - 21 million;

Cech - 10 million;

Deulofeu - 4 million;

Adama Traore - 7 million;

Anthony Martial - 36 million :O :O

I think it is madness, he is undoubtedly a very bright player but he has 4 goals in 12 games for France U-21s, scored only 11 goals in a less competitive league last season. People are saying that he is worth this money because he got the better of Bellerin (who is also a 'rookie' in professional football terms and was even more inexperienced last year).

Podolski is a world cup winner, Pedro is a CL, WC and Euro winner, Cech has been a fantastic goalkeeper since 2004.

I would place him in the same bracket as Deulofeu and Traore in terms of experience and reputation (has shown quality but still plenty of room to develop) and look at the prices both have gone for...

Maybe they should send James Wilson on loan to France for him to grab a few goals and then sell him for a similar price...

What is the difference in quality between Martial, Hernandez, Wilson?

Only? He is just 19 and scored some of those goals when he was 18. Falcao struggled to get more than 4 goals altogether last season. Martial was not an automatic starter as well at first and sometimes he played out wide.

Did they make that much of a big deal about it back then?

I do remember players moving for the million but I don't think it was such a massive deal, when the deals hit the 10 million it was made out how crazy it was, they were right as well.

Now it seems it is normal to be spending 20, 30 million on a player, it is only when it hits the 100m now a big fuss is made.

Man City signed 2 players this summer for around the 50m mark each and hardly an eyebrow raised about it.

Oh yes. The furore over signing Robson for 1.5m was huge. Complete waste of money etc etc. of course time told the story on that one. Keane was another the press went to town over - 3.75m! If only these days. Now we're spending 36m on a player I've never heard of. Only Mata and Di Maria have cost more and least said about Di Maria the better I think. Other big spend players, Berbs and veron weren't ultimately successful. Rio and Rooney have been the only successful ones we've paid big bucks for iirc. Football has become silly money, when the TV costs get too much, I worry the bubble will burst.

Only? He is just 19 and scored some of those goals when he was 18. Falcao struggled to get more than 4 goals altogether last season. Martial was not an

automatic starter as well at first and sometimes he played out wide.

That is why I brought in the comparison with Deulofeu and Traore...

I am a neutral football fan and I have no doubt Martial is a good player and may well become a brilliant player, I hope he succeeds, I really do...

You cannot just assume because a player is younger that he will follow the same career trajectory as another...

My issue is not his age but simply the fact that he has not proven his quality in senior football over a sustained period..

When you buy a senior player the guarantee is that there will probably be another team willing to take a punt on him and recoup most of the fee - Di Maria - because he has shown that he can perform at the highest level and that his spell at Man Utd is a blip...

With Martial costing at least £36 million - you would expect given that you are paying for potential - he will be worth £100 million or become a player that delivers performances worth £100 million in his peak...

Adjusting for inflation over time it would place him in approx. the top 30 of world record transfers which is insanity for a 19 year old with 11 league goals...

Are you telling me that he is worth what Wayne Rooney was at the same age?

Despite all the posturing of telling everyone we're not going to sell him, we're selling him at the end of the window and getting Real's cast off? Excellent.

Exactly, it's like United are a shell of the Fergie era. It's a joke.

That is why I brought in the comparison with Deulofeu and Traore...

I am a neutral football fan and I have no doubt Martial is a good player and may well become a brilliant player, I hope he succeeds, I really do...

You cannot just assume because a player is younger that he will follow the same career trajectory as another...

My issue is not his age but simply the fact that he has not proven his quality in senior football over a sustained period..

When you buy a senior player the guarantee is that there will probably be another team willing to take a punt on him and recoup most of the fee - Di Maria - because he has shown that he can perform at the highest level and that his spell at Man Utd is a blip...

With Martial costing at least £36 million - you would expect given that you are paying for potential - he will be worth £100 million or become a player that delivers performances worth £100 million in his peak...

Adjusting for inflation over time it would place him in approx. the top 30 of world record transfers which is insanity for a 19 year old with 11 league goals...

Are you telling me that he is worth what Wayne Rooney was at the same age?

Fair enough but what I have seen from him, he reminds me very much of Henry. Monaco really don't play an attractive brand of football as well. Especially last season.

Well 3 of your keepers could be off by the end of this window, Navas is a lot better than that clown that is in goal now.

Is he better than De Gea? No, obviously not but the ******* about has seen Romero in goal now for far too many games.

I'm just happy we left all this until now. Nothing like 4 games into the season to sort things out.

We should have got things things done sooner. I still think the transfer window should close the Friday night before the Community Shield game.

Everything done before the season starts.

De Gea will be staying. Real do not want to pay a fee for him so will wait to get him on a free especially know De gea is happy to do so. De Gea is happy to stay in order to pick up a huge signing on fee. The only loser in this deal is United. De Gea should have done the decent thing of handing in transfer request in may.

Quality post.

Fee for Martial is less than £25million including the add-ons. Can't believe some people believed the £36million + up to £20million add-ons stories. Clearly just Monaco trying to lessen the blow to their supporters.

Also seen the fee for De Gea is €35million, which is £25.5million.

Fee for Martial is less than £25million including the add-ons. Can't believe some people believed the £36million + up to £20million add-ons stories. Clearly just Monaco trying to lessen the blow to their supporters.

Where did you see that?

Bah, why can we never have a categorically good transfer window? Always something to ruin it.

We're terrible at these now. We have signed good players over the last three summers, but it always looks a bit messy and unprofessional. Teams like Chelsea and City streets ahead of us in this respect. (Aswell as most others, to be honest).

Archived