Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He got that move on the back of a good World Cup, bot because he was already seen as some super-duper keeper. No way he joins Real r anyone vaguely as big if he doesn't have some good performances in Brazil. He's not worth €15million now and he wasn't a year ago.

And frankly if he is/was the best goalkeeper in Spain, then it says an awful lot about the standard of goalkeeping over there.

What on earth?

Navas was widely considered the best keeper in Spain 2013/2014. What a strange post.

LvG definitely scuppered the DDG contract in 2014 it seems.

This guy must be trolling us.

Which would have postponed the inevitable for a year or two. De Gea wanted to go, at least it was over relatively swiftly.

True, we also need to put their replacements into context.

Are we stronger now or weaker? Same applies to Chelsea and City

And we're never going to be stronger without SAF, we could have had De Gea, RvP and class B from the Old Trafford Primary and we'd still have won the title with him. If you could clone RvP from that season into this squad we'd be stronger on a player front now though. Shame Wenger didn't **** off Sanchez I guess.

Genuinely think LVG is full on mental. Anyone could see back then how good de Gea was. From that, to his tactics, to his substitutions, to his transfer dealings to the things he says during interviews, I'm positive he is senile.

Genuinely think LVG is full on mental. Anyone could see back then how good de Gea was. From that, to his tactics, to his substitutions, to his transfer dealings to the things he says during interviews, I'm positive he is senile.

louis-van-gaal-middle-finger-300x207.jpg

The main point was that he'd have never joined Real had it not been for a good World cup.

That is a bold statement. Navas was the best keeper in La Liga, a league where Real Madrid is also competing in. The only reason he didn't play much last season was simply politics that has always been in Casillas' way.

The main point was that he'd have never joined Real had it not been for a good World cup.

well no he joined real madrid because of his form at levante since 2012. he beat courtois to the award in 2013/14, officially and otherwise. the world cup just enhanced his rep outside the country.

LvG definitely scuppered the DDG contract in 2014 it seems.

This guy must be trolling us.

I know LVG is destroying our club but wouldn't have thought he'd being deliberately destroying us. Surely that can't be true, or could it?

So having allowed Martial to be excused from the squad to sort out his United deal, Deschamps was asked if anybody else could leave the squad to do the same. He said it was possible & decided to simply use Lloris to United as an example of a transfer that's been talked about this season that could warrant it.

Twitter has now gone into meltdown :thup:

That is a bold statement. Navas was the best keeper in La Liga, a league where Real Madrid is also competing in. The only reason he didn't play much last season was simply politics that has always been in Casillas' way.

Wouldn't say he was best keeper in La Liga when Valdes was in top form that season and Courtois was Courtois. He was turning in some very good performances for a mid table side, was no different then to say Begovic turning in big performances for Stoke.

For context there's 6 first team players left from the Chelsea squad that season and 8 from City's. Squads in have a high turnover of players shocker.

9 tbf and that's with 6 leaving this summer (Richards, Dzeko, Sinclair, Nastasic, Boyata, Milner)

Hart, Zabaleta, Clichy, Kolarov, Kompany, Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Aguero are the 9.

Wouldn't say he was best keeper in La Liga when Valdes was in top form that season and Courtois was Courtois. He was turning in some very good performances for a mid table side, was no different then to say Begovic turning in big performances for Stoke.

you're wrong though, he categorically was the best. did begovic win best goalkeeper award ahead of any top keeper? no. did navas? yes, officially and between spanish media and fans alike. not the same at all.

courtois was 2012/13

9 tbf and that's with 6 leaving this summer (Richards, Dzeko, Sinclair, Nastasic, Boyata, Milner)

Hart, Zabaleta, Clichy, Kolarov, Kompany, Yaya, Silva, Nasri, Aguero are the 9.

Had no idea Kolarov was still at the club. Still a good example of how quickly a squad changes.

Well it sucks that we have lost one of the best keepers in the world to Real and got their "reject" but as long as he is a good keeper then I will settle for that. The only other option would have been to rob another Premier team of one of theirs and pay silly money from them and I've had enough of that. More worrying is LvG's tactics than the current squad, (which can do things if they are used correctly), and most of the big players want to play somewhere else at the moment. We just have to push on with what we've got and hope LvG stops drinking the Meths.

Am I right in thinking Martial can play on the wing? Could see Mata move back into the middle if so.

That's where he played in the Champions League games against Arsenal. Against Juventus, they put him through the middle.

Also think France are going to use him out wide as well.

I have a feeling he's been signed to play out wide predominantly. Don't think he's going to displace Rooney up-front, or play alongside him.

Well it sucks that we have lost one of the best keepers in the world to Real and got their "reject" but as long as he is a good keeper then I will settle for that. The only other option would have been to rob another Premier team of one of theirs and pay silly money from them and I've had enough of that. More worrying is LvG's tactics than the current squad, (which can do things if they are used correctly), and most of the big players want to play somewhere else at the moment. We just have to push on with what we've got and hope LvG stops drinking the Meths.

Is there any relatively available Prem goalkeeper better than Navas? I guess most would say Lloris, but I don't think he's all that, risky/dodgy too, if not as much as Romero.

We stood our ground against Madrid & come out of it with a replacement keeper & a fee.

Not sure how that's a negative.

Obviously we are worse off butthat would be the case no matter what we sold DdG for.

Yeah, I don't see how €29 million and a very capable replacement is bad business when DDG had 1 year left on his contract...

Most players leave for absolute pennies with 1 year to go and United only have themselves to blame for letting it get to that point...

That's where he played in the Champions League games against Arsenal. Against Juventus, they put him through the middle.

Also think France are going to use him out wide as well.

I have a feeling he's been signed to play out wide predominantly. Don't think he's going to displace Rooney up-front, or play alongside him.

maybe mata will play centrally after all, where his pace isn't an issue and he can be more involved. especially now that januzaj's out of the way and he doesn't rate herrera.

It's not £29m plus Navas, It's about £15million plus Navas - a value of £29m.

according to james ducker it's £25m cash plus navas (valued at £15m), which seems a great deal to me considering de gea's contract is up and he was leaving regardless.

according to james ducker it's £25m cash plus navas (valued at £15m), which seems a great deal to me considering de gea's contract is up and he was leaving regardless.
James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes 1h1 hour ago

Real Madrid are paying 25m euros for De Gea with United getting Keylor Navas (valued at 15m euros) in return. Real win there if you ask me

25m euro is £18.25m

maybe mata will play centrally after all, where his pace isn't an issue and he can be more involved. especially now that januzaj's out of the way and he doesn't rate herrera.

But pace is needed there, particularly to close down opposition defenders and then get back to help in midfield. On the flip side it's also needed when transitioning from defense to attack. Mata's movement or lack of is a symptomatic of the failings of the whole utd side bar Carrick and possibly Rooney. Rooney's problems this season are seemingly not being quick enough to shoot and players not moving around him.

But pace is needed there, particularly to close down opposition defenders and then get back to help in midfield. On the flip side it's also needed when transitioning from defense to attack. Mata's movement or lack of is a symptomatic of the failings of the whole utd side bar Carrick and possibly Rooney. Rooney's problems this season are seemingly not being quick enough to shoot and players not moving around him.

the point is it's not as much an issue there. he's quick enough to close down and get about and all that, he's just not quick enough to drive past players when he's out wide. that makes us too predictable because you know he's always going to come inside and do the same thing because that's his only option. playing him centrally in the first place opens things up for him to play it around into faster players around him/out wide/up front.

Damnit. So busy at work today. Seems like we have just sold most of our side.

Navas in the deal? If he is anything like WC, that just doesn't seem so bad.

Martial? WTF? W.T.F. He better start out by pulling up a tree in training. This is nuts, frankly. We needed a proven option at striker so that Rooney could go back to playing his number. Hoping he is special, but this is wildly overspending for potential. Prove me wrong, please.

With our current net spend as I read it above, seems like we still have a big, insane deal left in us. And as Dion said, we need that special player....We need that special player...

Im just struggling to get my head round the departures still.

We're struggling to score goals and we ship out Hernandez, Januzaj and possibly Wilson (not forgetting Falcao and Van Persie).

Tomorrow has got to be hectic as we can't just be bringing in Martial

Martial aside, We need a striker and a CB as a minimum. A winger would be a bonus also but can't see that happening.

Im just struggling to get my head round the departures still.

We're struggling to score goals and we ship out Hernandez, Januzaj and possibly Wilson (not forgetting Falcao and Van Persie).

Tomorrow has got to be hectic as we can't just be bringing in Martial

Martial aside, We need a striker and a CB as a minimum. A winger would be a bonus also but can't see that happening.

None of those mentioned really bring us many goals though do they?

I'm a bit pissed off about this deal, despite it being to Liverpool's advantage by virtue of being to Man Utd's disadvantage.

De Gea is a quality goalie, and probably third in the world for me (though I'm sure many of you would argue for him being second) and I don't think £29m is enough, last year of his contract or not. I wish he'd kept his mouth shut about wanting a move, but I guess you can't really blame him, as it's impossible to pass up the chance to sign for Real, really.

Navas is decent, but he's no De Gea.

None of those mentioned really bring us many goals though do they?

But they're numbers and options to change things. Rooney get's injured or carries on with his current crapness there is literally no one else. We're potentially going into a season with JUST Rooney (and a very unproven Martial who seems like more of a wide player).

Navas, Romero - GK

Darmian, Valencia - RB

Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Blind - CB

Shaw, McNair - LB

Schweini, Morgan S, Carrick - CM

Herrera, Fellaini, Pereira - AM

Mata, Lingard - RW

Depay, Young - LW

Rooney, Martial - CF

Just take Rooney out of that and look what we're left with.

martial covers striker and winger roles, i guess is the thinking, but either way we still need a proven striker to replace rooney (who i don't know). to me it's the cb that would be the bonus, and we're definitely in the market for one, but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't get one before the window closes.

will leave the accountancy to icon for a full net spend financial breakdown when the window closes

I am too depressed to do numbers, just so meh unless we get someone else in.

martial covers striker and winger roles, i guess is the thinking, but either way we still need a proven striker to replace rooney (who i don't know). to me it's the cb that would be the bonus, and we're definitely in the market for one, but i wouldn't be surprised if we don't get one before the window closes.

Martial is like a sexier Welbeck then. in fact Martial is what Welbeck was when he was younger and had not yet sullied his reputation in 1.5 ***** seasons. :D

LVG is not going to buy someone to replace Rooney, with one up front and two wide players, Rooney is going to be the first name down - that's all so obvious from the relationship between the two. Therefore any striker is going to be a backup and nobody big name will move in that scenario, that's why we're buying these youngsters, who are also adaptable by being able to play wide.

Memphis, Mata, Martial behind Rooney is what will happen, with Young and ? Covering. Both Memphis and martial can play striker if Rooney is injured or Fellaini,if what LVG has said is right about him. It's the cover positions that's the problem, outside of Young and very unproven youngsters, Lingard, Perreira. But Herrera can cover as well. Don't think it's that bad tbh. Not brilliant mind, but not a disaster.

Archived