[official] FM2009 features announcement -Press Conferences

great stuff. however what if the question was "how do feel about todays defeat to Derby?" and i answered "There is a penguin on the roof of my house"- how would it comprehend that? Or does it only understand the action you give with the additional comment?

either way its a neat feature. 09 isn't a bad game after all, shame about the 3D:p

probably with a news item along the lines of

"Moaner quit's club for move to antartic"

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't. Currently you get a press conference before and after every match, and when you take over at a club.

Even if you're managing in the Serbo-Croatian 7th Division?

Also, I figure if you regularly storm out of Press Conferences the media may start asking you less questions.

great stuff. however what if the question was "how do feel about todays defeat to Derby?" and i answered "There is a penguin on the roof of my house"- how would it comprehend that? Or does it only understand the action you give with the additional comment?

I don't think anyone has a valid complaint about the game if you type in something about penguins in a press conference and the media just simply quotes it. It's up to the user in the game to be sensible with what we write, if we're not then surely it's just our fault? This is a brilliant addition to the game in my opinion and should eliminate the repetition in media articles because we can basically write what we want!

Just a question that's being doing my head for the past 5 minutes. In the media report manager storms out news: [userSurname_1] blows top the phrasing of the last paragraph looks weird to me:

'A source at the press conference confirmed that [userSurname_1] had shouted, '[user_introduced_text_string]' as he left the room.'

I know that English not being my 1st language probably means that's a correct usage that I'm not aware of, but does the usage of the colon between shouted and '[user_introduced_text_string]' really belong there?

FM09 shows the way, since when has there ever been a female manager of a male football club? Im sure it will happen one day but Im not sure it will happene any time soon.

It's not as if there will be female AI managers, its only for the player if they are female.

The feeling i'm getting from this feature is that a lot of people are going to love it and i must add that i will to. However i'm lucky to remember a very old game called ON THE BALL(1994 i think) made by a company called Ascaron. That game was the first game that had press conferences and man did they rock. You really felt like a coach with some of the questions they would ask.

Questions i have.

Would reporters ask you any questions about possible rumours about feuds,possible signings, your future plans etc...

Are you looking into adding an option to call a conference yourself. Maybe you have a big name player you want to unveil etc..

Its all done in text mode and not 3d mode

Will this option carry over to international mode

It's not as if there will be female AI managers, its only for the player if they are female.

OK, Reds4Life I agree that the press conferences would be good in 3D, even better if you spoke into the comuter to give your press conferences and team talks so you had the eye of the manager!!!

The key is this is going to be two-fold: how repetitive the questions and tone of the conference will be and how well (and long) the media will remember your comments.

In terms of a career game, it might be a bit silly for me to keep being pulled up on something I said in a conference a decade ago when I was managing another club.

I was reading through the thread and I have to do this:

"You'll never win anything with kids"

"I am the Special One"

"There are two good teams in Liverpool..."

"I would love it if we beat them, love it!"

... and that's without me even thinking much. Those comments have stuck with the person that said them forever. Well, I suppose Mourinho's was only about 5 years ago, but you get the point. Controversial things should stick with us, like badmouthing title contenders who go on to win the title.

Firstly, loving the fact that this feature will be in FM09!! With regards to them getting boring, anything gets boring if you go through it too many times, I imagine that Premiership managers get bored of the press conferences IRL, but the fact is that they are part and parcel of being a manager at the top level, thus meaning that SI has to include these kinds of features to give us gamers the most realistic game experience that they can!

The AI could never respond to the comments we write in the press conferences, that would be require human intellect and a brain, something that a computer game could never really be programmed with, (either that, or SI would have to input every single possible response you could give, and then compute it with the situation that the game is in to give a decent response....could be possible if they had 10 years to develop the game!)

I can see this being an awesome feature in the game, but there will always be those people who dislike it and have complaints about it, but the fact that you can set your assistant to do it....that should shut them up ;)

Will our relationship with the media affect board/fan confidence? For example, if we have a bad relationship with the press will the board be unhappy that we're showing the club in a bad light?

Also, to avoid repetition could we have more questions/responses downloadable in the future?

I take it that having a negative relationship with a journalist would mean that he'd ask more probing questions and also "take things out of context" then a journalist with whom you have a positive relationship.

Also I guess that the papers names and journalist names are "fake"

That would be a pity when I play as Watford, as I'd like to cultivate a negative relationship with Watford Observer's Keviin Affleck just like IRL betweent him and the club.

Will there be a media editor in the future so that more questions could be put by us into the game?

A nice, if not mostly cosmetic pice of addition, whihc might well have a few issues over the coming year (we the community wil lfind them :p) but will be worked on and be the real deal come FM2010, think Confidence 2008, Training in 2005 etc. The reason the ME is much better this year is because of so many human testers, that is in essence what we are when new features for FM are released which is why they are so good the following year, its because we complain (fairly) a lot :)

note: not a rant this I see as a good thing :)

Is it now possible to write your own press response rather than have standard replies & the same for one to one talks with players, other managers etc...?

It would be virtually impossible for the game to understand you, but there will be a free text box for when you leave a press conference, as shown in a screenshot

as long as there a big variation in what you can actually say i won't mind. My only concern is that you could feel like you been here before. Maybe the fans on this forum can offer suggestions of what kind of questions and what kind of answers they would like. The best ones could be added?

No, that would be incredibly complex. And this isnt meant to sound demeaning, but it would then be difficult for people with very bad spelling.

Maybe one day if SI can implement some sort of spell corrector though, but I think that thats all very unneccasary,.

Yeah, as you say, it would be ludicrously complex. I'm not even sure it's technologically possible, because it's not recognising words, it's recognising sentances, implications, etc.

Is it now possible to write your own press response rather than have standard replies & the same for one to one talks with players, other managers etc...?

Not exactly, but it looks like there is a box for you to enter your own addition to the comment.

So if you're commenting on the teams bad performance then you could select something like "not happy" and in the box add that some of the players will be getting the hair dryer treatment.

I don't know if that box is open for every comment, it would be great if it is so we can use the usual radio box selected comment and add our own interpretation into the box.

I take it that having a negative relationship with a journalist would mean that he'd ask more probing questions and also "take things out of context" then a journalist with whom you have a positive relationship.

I'd really like this - I'm not expecting the initial release to be that detailed necessarily, but I'd really like to be able to recreate the relationship between Ian Richards and Rupert Wormwood in-game. :cool:

Also looking forward to:

- "Special" interviews from national publications rather than local, e.g., 4-4-2 magazine does a spread on the manager who has earned successive promotions for York City, or wherever ..

- Two different "local" publications, one with whom I have a good relationship and one with a bad relationship.

I was reading through the thread and I have to do this:

"You'll never win anything with kids"

"I am the Special One"

"There are two good teams in Liverpool..."

"I would love it if we beat them, love it!"

... and that's without me even thinking much. Those comments have stuck with the person that said them forever. Well, I suppose Mourinho's was only about 5 years ago, but you get the point. Controversial things should stick with us, like badmouthing title contenders who go on to win the title.

Okay, that's a fair point - those are more the exception rather than the rule though.

It might be nice if the conferences picked up on relationships between managers too. Two managers are in my career game whom I have long relationship with:

Antony Giglio was a midfielder playing for me at Liverpool, became my assistant manager at Sevilla and is now the Valencia manager. (Very good relationship and on each others favoured personnel list.)

Roy Keane detested me for being the Liverpool boss and moved to Zaragoza not long after I went to Sevilla. I take every opportunity to put the boot into him in the media.

So - playing Zaragoza and Valencia should yield vastly different questions from the media regarding the opposition managers, which hopefully will be remembered.

Yeah, as you say, it would be ludicrously complex. I'm not even sure it's technologically possible, because it's not recognising words, it's recognising sentances, implications, etc.

No computer on this entire planet is able to understand human language. At this very moment we're in the 4th generation of computers (chips). The next generation of computers, according to the IT-industry, will be able to have an intelligent conversation with you.

The problem at this point is that computers don't actually talk to you, certain words are just recognized and trigger a reaction. No code will be able to make complete sentences with correct syntax and grammar. Nor will a PC ever be able to understand irony.

Not necessarily. It sounds very much as if the comment box at the bottom is optional. I'm sure if you want you can tick the options you want and move on.

In previous versions i had problem getting the correct respond after i answered a question and i think this was because i failed to completely understand it ...and i have graduate from an English language school.

I hope that there will not be many tricky questions there .

A media editor would be awesome and add so much to this feature.

I'm concerned about that this feature may be too repetitive so therefore an editor would be great. The best would be with an editor where we can merge different media-files. So if I download a file with new media comments from someone it doesn't replace the ones I have added myself, only adds new. That way we could easily make the media limitless.

either way its a neat feature. 09 isn't a bad game after all, shame about the 3D:p

lol a penguin

It does pretty much what you want it to do, in terms of a visual effect. It has very little effect on things because, as people have pointed out, it's pretty much impossible. There might be one or two things it does recognise and react to though ;)

This has MASSIVE potential. I cannot WAIT for the first topic where someone comes on the forums screaming about how he's boycotting the game after the board sacked him for telling a journalist to F off or thinking he's funny for racially abusing someone in-game ;)

Re: what does free text field do

It does pretty much what you want it to do, in terms of a visual effect. It has very little effect on things because, as people have pointed out, it's pretty much impossible. There might be one or two things it does recognise and react to though ;)

But yeah, if you take it with a pinch of salt and behave realistically, it can add a lot to news items reporting on your press conference, and can be a hell of a lot of fun in multiplayer games.

This worries me. This means that you've either added a impactless free-text option or, even worse, added entirely meaningless press conferences which you can avoid with "nil" effect by typing random words in the free text bit.

Say, you don't like doing press conferences yourself but also don't trust your assman to do it well (he botches it up regularly, leaving someone important unhappy); well, you can always jab in some random keystrokes in the text field and use that as a "neutral, meaningless" response.

It feels too much like either a gimmick or a promise which SI knows it cannot fulfill. I mean, SI is not a company which does interactive fiction, so it has no business at all doing this. I believe if you cannot do this bit well, you should not be doing this at all. And I really think that this is simply beyond your capabilities. You'd get as far as ELIZA++ perhaps, given you're limiting yourself to a specific domain. But still.

PS: I do understand the attraction for multiplayer though. But that just confirms my suspicions; in singleplayer mode, it's useless and undermines the entire module.

TeeWee, from what I can tell on the screenshots, you HAVE to answer the questions with the options given, with the free text being simply an after-comment you add to your answer.

On reviewing the screenie, I'd agree. In that case, I withdraw my rant :)

Will this press conference ask me about players that played for me every time we face each other? Sometimes even bringing up players that never even played a game for me, just the fact they were in my reserve team for a few years before they left or were sold...

Please keep this to high profile players and please limit to happening once. I got a bit fed of being asked if there was love lost with, nearly, every single player that was at my club, important or not.

In addition, will the media and the post-pre match analysis please recognise that a neutral ground means that there is no Home or Away team and thus those types of advantages or text talk shouldn't even apply.

Thank you.

the free text thing seems a little pointless to me, you type in something that only you will read. Seems silly.

Even in multiplayer it may be fun once or twice but overall i'd just shake my head and say "whatever mate, it's of little concequence"

if only it had repurcussions what you wrote.

the free text thing seems a little pointless to me, you type in something that only you will read. Seems silly.

You could argue that the game itself is a bit pointless because you're playing matches that only you care about. I don't know what you mean, the text box simply adds a bit of depth: it is far from the main feature of the press conferences.

And how exactley do you know that for certain? :confused: :rolleyes:

I do hope that you're trying to be that dim-witted on purpose.

It's a computer game. It's not human - it won't/shouldn't understand what you type in the free text area and unfortunately for me, this is where I fail to see the excitement to such an extent in the feature and the concept of answers "coming back to haunt you."

Although don't be mistaken, I do like this feature and think it's good to be added and is great because it is building on those pre-match interviews which have become most tedious. I like the idea and it being added, but I do think that everyone's just a little too excited over this particular feature. I want to try it out too, but I definately feel that it'll be fun and interesting the first time around but I think that it will rather rapidly lose its... effect.

You could argue that the game itself is a bit pointless because you're playing matches that only you care about. I don't know what you mean, the text box simply adds a bit of depth: it is far from the main feature of the press conferences.

well not really, you mould a team via tactics and players into the team you want. Im just saying writing something that only you can chuckle too is not so cool in my books.

Archived