Uruguay V England - Group D - 20:00 BST KO

Djstu23

Wish I was feeling confident. I think it'll be very tense and nervy.

That said, I'll go for England to win 2-1. Rooney first goal. :p:cool:

I think Rooney will score two and Sturridge to get the other goal.

We just need to keep Suarez tamed for the first half really (and Cavani of course) and then he should tire out in the second half due to a lack of match fitness.

Expect Uruguay to be better than their first game mind but they aren't all that imo.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst situation for us to be in iirc.

Big, big game. If we play like we did against Italy and Uruguay play like they did against Costa Rica, we'll win. If only football was simple and worked like that :( Optimistic though.

Some England stats according to the BBC:

Only four teams (8.7%) have progressed to the last 16 after losing their opening game since the current World Cup format was introduced in 1998.

England have scored in each of their last eight World Cup encounters with South American sides.

They have conceded six goals in their last two World Cup games dating back to 2010. They have never conceded two or more goals in three straight games.

Daniel Sturridge has scored three goals in his last four appearances for England.

Sixteen of England's last 20 World Cup goals have come before half-time.

England recorded their highest-ever World Cup pass completion rate (91%) in the opening match v Italy (1966-2014).

Wayne Rooney created more chances than any other player in the England v Italy game (three, including one assist).

5 is intersting while 6 is encouraging.

Worst situation for us to be in iirc.

Big, big game. If we play like we did against Italy and Uruguay play like they did against Costa Rica, we'll win. If only football was simple and worked like that :( Optimistic though.

I'm ******** myself man, if only Uruguay hadn't also lost their last game things would look so much better for us :(

I'm optimistic we'll get a win tonight.

England ‏@england · now

#ENG team v #URU 1 Hart 2 Johnson 5 Cahill 6 Jagielka 3 Baines 4 Gerrard © 14 Henderson 19 Sterling 10 Rooney 11 Welbeck 9 Sturridge

Looks like he's central. Welbeck left and Sterling right.

Happy with that. 2-1 England I think.

Midfield is not good enough. Will fail again today.

I will remind you of this:

England recorded their highest-ever World Cup pass completion rate (91%) in the opening match v Italy (1966-2014).

Possibly only lost due to the heat and Rooney playing on the left.

We lost because despite our accuracy we had zero presence in the midfield, and our left flank got pounded to pieces. Henderson was overrun and Gerrard was anonymous.

That statistic is pointless really, Italy sat back just allowing us to pass..only pressuring us when we're close to their goal (after we went 2-1 down of course).

I actually feel sorry for Rooney, a terrific player, he plays a fantastic cross for England's goal but all you hear about was the chance he missed.

That guy can't catch a break.

-Edit

Point in case the post below this one.

Think it's time Rooney repaid all the faith shown in him. Can't believe others have to miss out/accommodate him considering how little he has offered. A fault that's always going to haunt England , picking players on their reputation rather than form.

Should've got Milner or Lallana in for Welbeck tbh.
Yeah I agree with this. We have better options that Danny now.

No chance he should be dropped. Welbeck was one of our better performers last game and has been for England for a while now.

England always seem to have this massive hard-on for a particular player, for good or worse. Gascoigne, Beckham, Rooney. All fantastic players, but make a mistake, or what can be perceived to be a mistake, and my god will they take a hell of a beating.

Rooney has been England's hope for so long now, but when he fails to drag the team to heights by himself, it's he that gets the criticism.

Wait, Suárez is really starting? :D

After losing to Costa Rica they've gone into panic mode.

At this point I feel indifferent when it comes to how I feel about Rooney. The pressure comes with the territory and if he can't deal with that then ah well. I will always want him to do well. I hope he can put in a good one today.

Welbeck did well last match. No way he'd be dropped.

England always seem to have this massive hard-on for a particular player, for good or worse. Gascoigne, Beckham, Rooney. All fantastic players, but make a mistake, or what can be perceived to be a mistake, and my god will they take a hell of a beating.

Rooney has been England's hope for so long now, but when he fails to drag the team to heights by himself, it's he that gets the criticism.

He gets criticism because he's been poor for England for so long. His competitive goals have been against Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Croatia, Estonia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Andorra, Bulgaria, Ukraine, San Marino, Poland, Montenegro. We also have players who can take his place in the side, there's no point persevering with him just because he's a big name. Isn't that what you lot have criticised England for before, playing the name players instead of the form ones?

I would only have dropped Rooney today if Ox was fit, but if he has a stinker here then I'd drop him for anyone really.

Archived