Match 14 - Ghana V USA - 23:00 BST KO - Group G - BBC 1

Djstu23

Yes he was. He was closing down well and made some key passes aside from a few that went astray.
He was excellent. His work rate was top class. MOTM for me. Beckerman was good too.
Bradley did really well, especially considering how poor the rest of the midfield was around him. He worked his tail off.

He worked hard, nice to see him getting the ball from deep, too. But the number of passes going astray was high, considering what you should expect from him.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate footballers like Gyan. He sets up Ayew and he equalises then simply walks away and shows no emotion at all while all the others are celebrating. This is your country ffs! I hate it when I see it in club matches but when you are playing for your country you expect to see full pride. Shame on you!

People say USA don't deserve, but tbh Ghana didn't deserve it. They missed a few sitters, how is that more deserving?

You can't deny a draw would've been the fairer result here. I don't think any team deserved the 3 points.

You can't deny a draw would've been the fairer result here. I don't think any team deserved the 3 points.

Well, you can't really blame us for the approach. I mean, how long did the US have the lead for? Like 94 or 95 minutes or something?

I hate footballers like Gyan. He sets up Ayew and he equalises then simply walks away and shows no emotion at all while all the others are celebrating. This is your country ffs! I hate it when I see it in club matches but when you are playing for your country you expect to see full pride. Shame on you!

He realised he doesn't get paid for the assist.

Press here got that wrong then. :thdn:

It would have been more epic if it had happened during halftime.

Nobody except for players and backroom staff in the changing room for pre-game and half-time. That's my rule anyway. :herman:

• Administrators
Biden talked with the USMNT during half-time:bqspt5ncaaa8rxv.jpg
Great picture. Where was Obama then? Apparently he left the team a message on Facebook.

Biden talked with the USMNT during half-time:

bqspt5ncaaa8rxv.jpg

This picture is so American.

Always a shame when a nation with zero football history or support manage to beat a proper footballing nation. Oh well, atleast ze Germans and Portugal will turn these clowns over.

Always a shame when a nation with zero football history or support manage to beat a proper footballing nation. Oh well, atleast ze Germans and Portugal will turn these clowns over.

hi.gif

That was amazing. The brilliant start, enduring 80+ minutes of Ghanian dominance, the let down when Ayew scored after a really nice play, then everyone in room going crazy after the Brooks goal. What a start for us.

Their history goes back to 1950 at least...

Over 6,000,000 tickets were sold to MLS matches this past season. That's actually more tickets than were sold in the Brazilian Serie A.

Were these American tactics of sitting back basically cause of the early goal? Would have been interesting how they played otherwise. I can't imagine American fans being overly happy with that, of course it's all ok when you win

Point off Portugal and they're laughing. Definitely possible but sitting back from the start in that too? That early goal kind of threw everything out

Were these American tactics of sitting back basically cause of the early goal? Would have been interesting how they played otherwise. I can't imagine American fans being overly happy with that, of course it's all ok when you win

Well, plus Altidore's injury and Ghana's style (plus apparently Dempsey was having trouble breathing). And for all that Ghana only had one more shot on goal than the US. Some of our players certainly have to play better, Bradley in particular, but with the matchup and circumstances I don't think it was all that bad an outing by the team.

Bradley had a terrible game imo. Slowed the pace, didn't make the right runs, misplaced a lot of passes.

Beckermann or Jones for MOTM. The former was great at holding the midfield and unlike Bradley connected a lot of his passes. The latter bossed the midfield, was always available for the pass.

Over 6,000,000 tickets were sold to MLS matches this past season. That's actually more tickets than were sold in the Brazilian Serie A.

how much tickets per capita?

Because that total number probably makes then a "bigger" football country than 99% in the world. Just because you know, they're the largest rich country in the world...

MLS average attendance was higher than the NBA or NHL last season.

Isn't this purely down to the fact that NBA/NHL arenas only hold like 20k people whereas massive stadiums that host football/soccer hold upwards of 60k on average.

And the different between average MLS and average NFL attendances is something like 25k isn't it?

Not ragging on the MLS or American's stance on soccer. I just think your stat is very misleading.

Viewing figures probably a more appropriate comparison/point and, although I don't have anything at hand to suggest I'm right, I think the NBA and NHL destroy the MLS in terms of viewers.

Isn't this purely down to the fact that NBA/NHL arenas only hold like 20k people whereas massive stadiums that host football/soccer hold upwards of 60k on average.

Most MLS teams play in soccer-specific stadiums ranging from 18,000-28,000 roughly.

The only teams that still play in the big NFL stadiums are Seattle (which does actually draw upward of 42,000 in it), New England (avg. attendance of 13,600 last year, 22% of capacity) and DC United (avg. attendance of about 148000 in a 45,000-capacity stadium). Plus Vancouver, but BC Place's capacity is typically reduced for soccer games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

Viewing figures probably a more appropriate comparison/point and, although I don't have anything at hand to suggest I'm right, I think the NBA and NHL destroy the MLS in terms of viewers.

NBA and NHL also really the only leagues of those sports showed on US television (save the KHL on One World Sports). MLS also has to contend with Liga MX (Univision), the Premiership (NBC/NBCSN), La Liga and Serie A (BeIN)

Most MLS teams play in soccer-specific stadiums ranging from 18,000-28,000 roughly.

The only teams that still play in the big NFL stadiums are Seattle (which does actually draw upward of 42,000 in it), New England (avg. attendance of 13,600 last year, 22% of capacity) and DC United (avg. attendance of about 148000 in a 45,000-capacity stadium). Plus Vancouver, but BC Place's capacity is typically reduced for soccer games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

NBA and NHL also really the only leagues of those sports showed on US television (save the KHL on One World Sports). MLS also has to contend with Liga MX (Univision), the Premiership (NBC/NBCSN), La Liga and Serie A (BeIN)

Ah fair enough, didn't realise that was the case regarding MLS teams playing in soccer-specific stadia. I knew a couple (Seattle and New England) played in NFL venues so assumed most teams do.

How does soccer in general (so including the BPL, La Liga etc here) do in comparison to viewing figures against the NBA/NHL? I still imagine that the NBA/NHL is far ahead... I do know the sport is growing in the states but it's surely not quite at the same levels of the NBA yet?

Archived