Match 14 - Ghana V USA - 23:00 BST KO - Group G - BBC 1

Djstu23

Viewing figures probably a more appropriate comparison/point and, although I don't have anything at hand to suggest I'm right, I think the NBA and NHL destroy the MLS in terms of viewers.
How does soccer in general (so including the BPL, La Liga etc here) do in comparison to viewing figures against the NBA/NHL? I still imagine that the NBA/NHL is far ahead... I do know the sport is growing in the states but it's surely not quite at the same levels of the NBA yet?

Not certain about MLS viewing figures, but I did see figures the other day showing that the US National side gets bigger tv percentages than NBA and NHL finals games, so the interest is undoubtedly there.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because that total number probably makes then a "bigger" football country than 99% in the world. Just because you know, they're the largest rich country in the world...

I don't think anyone is arguing that the US is a "bigger" football country than 99% of the world, or even that football (the round kind) is the biggest sport in America. The idea that somehow we're a nation with zero history or support that doesn't deserve to be playing in the World Cup is ridiculous, though. I don't ever hear anyone whining about how South Korea or Australia or Japan don't deserve to be there.

Ah fair enough, didn't realise that was the case regarding MLS teams playing in soccer-specific stadia. I knew a couple (Seattle and New England) played in NFL venues so assumed most teams do.

How does soccer in general (so including the BPL, La Liga etc here) do in comparison to viewing figures against the NBA/NHL? I still imagine that the NBA/NHL is far ahead... I do know the sport is growing in the states but it's surely not quite at the same levels of the NBA yet?

Brazil-Croatia averaged more viewers than any game of the NHL playoffs and all NBA playoff games (excluding the finals)

The major problem for soccer here is that the audience here is fragmented. You've got Mexicans who prefer Liga MX (and El Tri), UK ex-pats and American Eurosnobs who want the Premiership, Italians focusing on Serie A, Portuguese folk in New England who want Primeira Liga, and a hardy band of Muricans who would actually like to watch their domestic league.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the US is a "bigger" football country than 99% of the world, or even that football (the round kind) is the biggest sport in America. The idea that somehow we're a nation with zero history or support that doesn't deserve to be playing in the World Cup is ridiculous, though. I don't ever hear anyone whining about how South Korea or Australia or Japan don't deserve to be there.

Cause we're the only ones who call it "soccer", innit.

Oh, hi Canada.

I don't ever hear anyone whining about how South Korea or Australia or Japan don't deserve to be there.

That's not true. I'm a big proponent of the Asia region having two less automatic spots, especially after all of those 4 have stunk it up so far. Atleast the US will win 1 game.

Most MLS teams play in soccer-specific stadiums ranging from 18,000-28,000 roughly.

The only teams that still play in the big NFL stadiums are Seattle (which does actually draw upward of 42,000 in it), New England (avg. attendance of 13,600 last year, 22% of capacity) and DC United (avg. attendance of about 148000 in a 45,000-capacity stadium). Plus Vancouver, but BC Place's capacity is typically reduced for soccer games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

NBA and NHL also really the only leagues of those sports showed on US television (save the KHL on One World Sports). MLS also has to contend with Liga MX (Univision), the Premiership (NBC/NBCSN), La Liga and Serie A (BeIN)

Seattle does drag the average up a bit, they get twice the crowd of any other team in those 3 sports.

Anyway, I do think attendance figures are a questionable way to evaluate interest in the sport overall. It demonstrates a strong baseline level of interest in soccer in the US, but at long as you have a strong base, then attendance figures mostly comes down to capacity and pricing, with the recognition that on the level of individual teams, success breeds attendance.

Nonetheless, soccer definitely is growing in the US. I'm not sure there's quite as much interest in the MLS as their figures might suggest, but I have noticed that every World Cup we get closer and closer to other countries in terms of the way people are fixated on it. It'll be interesting to see how we handle the noon game against Germany in terms of people blowing off work.

Anyway, I should try getting into the MLS. I got into soccer because of Football Manager, since none of the American sports have a decent management sim (the only management sim that really comes anywhere close is Pro Cycling Manager, but I got into cycling for other reasons), and I really mostly ended up interested in the English leagues as a result.

(random side note: tired of the ******* match about calling it soccer instead of football. If it's good enough for Tim Howard, one of the best goalkeepers in the world, who plays for Everton in England, then it's good enough for me. And it doesn't matter anyway, you could call it Fluffyball and it would still be the same good sport.)

That's not true. I'm a big proponent of the Asia region having two less automatic spots, especially after all of those 4 have stunk it up so far. Atleast the US will win 1 game.

Hey now, South Korea isn't terrible, Japan had their moments, and Australia at least showed some vigor.

Granted, you're probably right, but give them a little credit.

To be fair, I am somewhat in favor of being biased slightly toward lesser regions since the benefit of getting more international flavor in the tournament outweighs the detriment of maybe the 15th best team in Europe being objectively better than the 3rd best team in Asia or something. And yeah, the whole Asia/Oceania setup is kinda bollocks.

Archived