Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

I've had games in the past where I've won comfortably with great flowing moves from defence to attack, all goals from open play and the opposition has still shown as winning 100% of tackles. There have also been games where I've been well beaten and I've won 100% of tackles.

I now no longer even look at this stat, as I don't think it actually represents what's happening in the game properly, in much the same way as the CCC stat.

Actually, the only match stats I pay any real attention to are posession, passing stats, and overall shots on goal. That along with actually watching the match gives me most of what I need from the game.

Tackling in the game itself seems to be fairly consistent throughout. I certainly don't think it has a massive bearing on results, certainly not that I've seen anyway.

Oh don't get me wrong Dave, I've had a few free flowing goals of my own yet these always seem to follow the same pattern, the vast majority happening when you can actively see the opposition standing off you - or just standing still! I completely agree that some statistics (heaven knows which ones) have become meaningless but this can hardly be excused - now not only is the simulation itself poor (I've played matches of Subbuteo with more realism in them that the current match engine) but statistics we rely heavily upon to see where things are going right, wrong, what can be improved etc cannot be trusted.

There are officially acknowledged corner bugs, finishing issues, tackling bugs, goalkeeping bugs, hitting the post bugs (Adam Mingay just got back to me about a post I made in bugs forum, having hit the post 131 times in a season - Liverpools 33 times in the 12-13 season was described as 'astounding'), transfer bugs (though contracts I believe are pretty much spot on at the moment), problems with first touch, shooting from range, crossing issues, penalty shoot out bugs (had completely static goalkeepers on a couple of occasions now), kit selection bugs, job offer bugs, problems with tactical analysis, statistics, scouting reports... and I'm going to throw in the German transfer issues separately for good measure because that seems to be popular here at the moment, whatever it may be. I could go on and list many, many more but shall stick to the ones I have personally encountered, the latter excluded (having enjoyed watching Stephen Kelly score direct from a long throw for me have decided that this, in fact, should not go down as a bug but more a moment of magic - whatever the rules say :p)

Am in no way looking to start an argument - I just have sympathy for all those who're struggling to get any enjoyment out of the game and find it somewhat disappointing that, three months after release, these things are still going on.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Surely the opposition defending is just as bad, no? I'm more inclined to think you're getting beat comfortably every week due to your players/ tactics simply not being good enough because you've gone up two leagues in successive seasons. It's easier to get away with that in England as the majority of teams are full time, Scotland is a different beast. Believe me, I've managed enough at that level to know how it works.

There are issues with defensive decisions at various points in a game which is getting looked at, but this affects all teams, so there should be no advantage/disadvantage to the user.

It's interesting to once again note that this has only become an issue for you as soon as you've stopped winning. Take a step back and think about that. Also, posting your set up in the tactics forum could also be beneficial. Surely better to explore all avenues before claiming the game to be broken?

Ok not to belabor this anymore because clearly you aren't getting it. It was broken in the lower leagues as well, as I would often concede a goal or two due to shoddy and incomprehensible defending. It's now more acute in the higher leagues where I score less and concede more. Conceding too free goals a game is much more problematic when you are playing to avoid relegation. These are not normal goals, these are absurd defender positioning and reaction mistakes. Long ball after long ball cutting right through my defense is not normal, sorry. My keeper going out way too far and leaving the net wide open is not normal. My keeper passing the ball to the nearest opposing striker is not normal. I've played around with the tactics and they should be fine. You should not need gamey tactics to win. The ME should respond reasonably to your tactical decisions. There really need to be some fixes here.

Ok not to belabor this anymore because clearly you aren't getting it. It was broken in the lower leagues as well, as I would often concede a goal or two due to shoddy and incomprehensible defending. It's now more acute in the higher leagues where I score less and concede more. Conceding too free goals a game is much more problematic when you are playing to avoid relegation. These are not normal goals, these are absurd defender positioning and reaction mistakes. Long ball after long ball cutting right through my defense is not normal, sorry. My keeper going out way too far and leaving the net wide open is not normal. My keeper passing the ball to the nearest opposing striker is not normal. I've played around with the tactics and they should be fine. You should not need gamey tactics to win. The ME should respond reasonably to your tactical decisions. There really need to be some fixes here.

Have you made a bug forum, with examples?

And of-course by the time the next patch comes out (april) which deals with all the problem so we can all finally enjoy fm 14 the season will have almost ended and talk of fm15 will begin to start the cycle all over again.

What has the current season got to do with enjoying the game?

There are issues with defensive decisions at various points in a game which is getting looked at, but this affects all teams, so there should be no advantage/disadvantage to the user.

Forgot to mention problems with defensive decisions - lol, thanks! Again, I don't think this can be excused (not that you are excusing it, just using this as an example) simply because it affects both teams. It's just another step further away from the realism FM is trying to create and shouldn't be accepted merely because it screws the opposition over just as much as it does yourself!

Tactics undoubtedly play a massive role and without being tactically sound people will be punished - this is what football's all about (really hope Jose gets what's coming to him tonight after his recent tactical analysis)... It is not, and should never be, about blatant errors in the game making a vast number of well thought out, balanced, perfectly executed tactics redundant!

I don't really know how to use youtube, but I'm noticing that others are having the same issues.

You dont need youtube, read the guidelines in the bugs forum and it will instruct you on what to do, those issues your speaking about should be logged so they can be looked at.

All i'm doing atm is waiting for a fix to take this game "seriously"! :) ME needs a fix, i agree with all of the bugs pointed out. I've seen so many 20-30's good players without clubs for multiple seasons Ex: Valdes not picked from any club during my last save Avila, a mexican AMC, and a lot more around the globe. The transfer system is weird atm i see some valuable players being sold for half of the price, I rarely can sell a player for more than 15M especially if i'm leading a big team. I'll wait, for now.

I seriously dont know how people that play fm14 enjoy it, i guess they must be bored or something cos the ME is the worst ive seen and i'm an Fm obsessed guy.

Well personally, I don't know how you can not enjoy it if you've liked FM. Opinions are crazy things.

Just lost another game through 2 owngoals from corners. This p*sses me off beyond words. The game should not be in the state it is now. I am a lifelong fan of the series, but come on, why does it take months and months to be able to play a fun game. I am absolutely furious.

The match engine is truly awful .

First touch after first touch goes astray, cross after cross comes to nothing, offsides given for fouls in various positions around the pitch and just now my player was fouled 5 yards in the penalty area, ref gives a free kick 5 yards outside of the area which nearly resulted in my laptop being launched at the TV, as a final flip you, the free kick came to my attacker in space in the area ,he stood there as if he was in shock and then was challenged by a sliding tackle that actually missed.

I love FM, I've been hooked for years but this ME is really testing my patience.

The match engine is truly awful .

First touch after first touch goes astray, cross after cross comes to nothing, offsides given for fouls in various positions around the pitch and just now my player was fouled 5 yards in the penalty area, ref gives a free kick 5 yards outside of the area which nearly resulted in my laptop being launched at the TV, as a final flip you, the free kick came to my attacker in space in the area ,he stood there as if he was in shock and then was challenged by a sliding tackle that actually missed.

I love FM, I've been hooked for years but this ME is really testing my patience.

Got any proof of that? Would like to see it. Also would be a prime candidate to be raised as a bug.

How do I put it on here?

I've just watched it again and it is exactly how I called it , ridiculous.

Either upload the offending clip to youtube to show on here, or just save the pkm and upload to the bug forum. Or both. Just as long as you do log it in the bugs forum if it did happen like that.

I've been out of the loop on the forums a bit recently. I was enjoying 14.2.1 and had my team playing some great stuff. I'd started the season and my only defeat in 15 games was away to Man Utd. No shame in that. Then one day I switched the game on and thought 'Hmmm, looks different. I like the way the ball and the players are moving though. Looks a lot more realistic.'

However, within a couple of minutes, I couldn't help thinking 'What the hell have you done to the game guys?'

Now I know that's not constructive, and I can't honestly put my finger on what exactly is wrong (sorry). However, since the moment the patch came in I am without a win in eight. I haven't been doing anything different to normal. Now, this could of course be a natural downturn in form/morale/confidence. I will carry on and see. I've gone from seeing my tactics work well, with my players making sensible decisions, to getting battered in games though. I'm not confident, but time will tell.

Either upload the offending clip to youtube to show on here, or just save the pkm and upload to the bug forum. Or both. Just as long as you do log it in the bugs forum if it did happen like that.
There are stupid goals (all of which should be posted in the Bugs Forum and supported with .pkm files), but that one is plausible in my opinion.

EDIT - general note - lots of Bug Reports are being "supported" by YouTube videos. These don't really help SI that much - they really need .pkm files in order to get the level of detail they need to properly investigate issues that are logged.

You're being gentle. They don't help AT ALL! No PKM and time stamp of the incident, then no possibility for a bug fix.

No YouTube video will tell how the incident came about. There's bugs like this apparently, but some player errors uploaded as videos are intentional, you know. It's also easy to get riled up about one-off mistakes without seeing patterns, or completely misinterpreting what is going on. I also have an issue with own goals, always had. That is because every shot or header or anything deflected off a keeper or defender is immediately being counted as an "own goal".

Probably already been mentioned but something that is really bugging me and has probably cost me a lot of games in the past till noticing it is, changing shouts after a goal is scored. You choose/deselect some shouts and click ok and go back to the match thinking that everything is done but for some reason it reverts your shouts back to the ones before the goal was scored. Hopefully this gets fixed in the upcoming patch as its quite annoying as tactics are probably changed the most after goals are scored so its a bad place for the bug to be. :p

Thought I'd pop in to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issues I've been having with the 3D match engine. It seems I'm far from alone.

If I could be arsed I'd compile a lovely video of Lionel Messi missing a veritable host of one-on-ones, or constantly doing that thing you do in your dreams where you inexplicably slow down to walking pace as you're trying to run away from the monsters (or was that just me?)

Anyway, I digress. Bit of a rum do this, isn't it SI?

If I could be arsed I'd compile a lovely video of Lionel Messi missing a veritable host of one-on-ones, or constantly doing that thing you do in your dreams where you inexplicably slow down to walking pace as you're trying to run away from the monsters (or was that just me?)

Anyway, I digress. Bit of a rum do this, isn't it SI?

I'd suggest you have a gander at this...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380873-Making-Messi-Messi%28ish%29

Speaking of representation issues, I've noticed plenty of times where the ball obviously goes out on the side for a throw-in but a corner kick is awarded. I'm guessing it's a known issue because it happens way too often to not notice. Not something important or game-breaking but very obvious visually

Still can't understand why some users continue to say that it's tactical when obviously is not.

I can understand when these answers refer to post of people that simply say "i can't win", but i don't have readed so many posts like this.

If a tactic is wrong you MUST lose (not with every single poor team, of course) BECAUSE of your tactics. I mean, i have my defense line too high? The opponent maybe can be able to avoid my offside with fast forwards. My defense is too deep? The opponent can press me in my area. I play short pass? Maybe my team can't create enough occasions...ecc ecc.

But if i play a deep defence line and one goal on two my team get is by a long pass of the opponent - even with low passing attribute - i doubt it's tactic.

If i play shorter pass and my team continue to longpass the ball also.

I think that this is the issue. Many many times i've seen my players doing everything but what i ask them.

And i won my matches, but that's not the point. It's HOW, not IF.

Speaking of representation issues, I've noticed plenty of times where the ball obviously goes out on the side for a throw-in but a corner kick is awarded. I'm guessing it's a known issue because it happens way too often to not notice. Not something important or game-breaking but very obvious visually

Agreed. Happens regularly in most matches. Also noticed that when taking long throws, players often clearly taking them with feet well over the touch line. Maybe linesmen need to be given glasses to get more corner decision right and flag for illegal throw ins.

Goalkeepers also seem to give away lots of corners by appearing to catch the ball and then deciding to go backwards slightly and going out of play.

Not game breaking but would be good if 3D representation could be improved for these.

Agreed. Happens regularly in most matches

I can hand on heart say I have never once saw this in over 1000 hours of gameplay. Unless I've just not noticed, but it'd be a pretty hard thing to miss.

I'm seeing it pretty often. And actually I already *know* it will be a corner since after 300 hours of FM14 you get to know what leads to what...but it's still weird.

And yes it's always very close to the corner flag. Obviously a representation issue. If it's something "new" for SI too, I can find some examples after work and upload them, but I seriously doubt no one has seen that yet

I'm seeing it pretty often. And actually I already *know* it will be a corner since after 300 hours of FM14 you get to know what leads to what...but it's still weird.

And yes it's always very close to the corner flag. Obviously a representation issue. If it's something "new" for SI too, I can find some examples after work and upload them, but I seriously doubt no one has seen that yet

Honestly, and I'm not blindly 'defending the game' as I'm often hilariously accused of on here, I genuinely have never seen a single example of this. I shall have a few games tonight and see if it's maybe just me missing it.

I also see the corners issue - at least 3/4 times per match it is wrongly called. You also have (much rarer) issues where the keeper catches the ball behind the goal line etc but it is not given as a goal - so it would appear that there is some disconnect between where the goal line is drawn on the screen, and where the game actually registers that line to be.

But it's not gamebreaking by any means.

And I'm on pretty low graphics levels btw

For those experiencing odd issues of the kind that have been talked about recently, an upload to youtube of at least one of these would immediately stop anyone disbelieving any reports of issues. If it's not something they've personally seen, and it sounds far fetched, then it is sometimes hard to believe. But put a concrete example of it happening up, and it becomes extremely hard to argue against. No-one is in the business of blindly defending if there's a clear issue.

One way to make absolutely sure, is to upload a pkm and post in the bugs forum. Takes 2mins of your time and that way you'll know that it will get looked at by SI.

For those experiencing odd issues of the kind that have been talked about recently, an upload to youtube of at least one of these would immediately stop anyone disbelieving any reports of issues. If it's not something they've personally seen, and it sounds far fetched, then it is sometimes hard to believe. But put a concrete example of it happening up, and it becomes extremely hard to argue against. No-one is in the business of blindly defending if there's a clear issue.

Im certainly not saying it doesnt exist (i know you wernt really saying this i just used you for a quote) but i honestly have just never seen it, ill play a few games and pay really close attention too it.

Is this on a highlights setting, or watching the full match?

Im certainly not saying it doesnt exist (i know you wernt really saying this i just used you for a quote) but i honestly have just never seen it, ill play a few games and pay really close attention too it.

Is this on a highlights setting, or watching the full match?

How dare you! But yes, I'm in the same boat. My initial reaction is usually going to be that it doesn't happen, because I personally haven't seen it, but if a clip, or a gif, or whatever is posted up that shows it happening, then it clearly is real, and is a problem. But so many of these "problems" only have a ranting post as their evidence, so it's no wonder sometimes they get shot down.

I think the biggest difference in this version compared to others is about getting your tactic fairly right or not. I had an aha-moment last night where I followed some advice in llamas thread and suddenly my Arsenal-team outplayed Chelsea away. And I mean outplayed.

The challenge I found in making tactics is to know where I am wrong. We all know that you have to build a tactic that creates movement and space, but simultaneously we also want it to be sound defensive. I thought for example that a box-to-box-midfielder would create sufficient movement, but if not set up correct he can be all over the place defensively.

When you create a tactic you have to consider getting the roles right, the duties within and even if you have made this right, you must decide which mentality and fluidity to use. Throw in team instructions and personal instructions and you have a real mix of everything and it could be difficult to see just were your tactic fails. Is it the tactic? Is it the players? Is it the match preparation?

I guess this is where a lot of the frustration stems from, because if you set up a bad tactic, you get heavily punished, and some of what you see in this ME are stupid mistakes that make you want to tear your hair out.

As I said, yesterday I got my team to play like I wanted to, and suddenly it is the AI making lots of the stupid mistakes my players did.

So I think this is potentially a great FM and a great ME, but the learning curve may be a little steep. I think a lot of us who play have good knowledge of football, and also played it at different levels, but we are not sure how to translate the way we want our team to play into FM-tactics.

What could be great was to get a more visual understanding of the roles, duties and mentalities, but I know this is a difficult task because no one wants the game to be too easy and too self-explainable either.

I always watch Comprehensive highlights. As I said before , I will upload a video as soon as I'm back home(in about an hour or so).

I actually find it weird that 3 people claim to not have seen this, it's really frequent in my game. And by the way I'm not ranting, it doesn't even really bother me - I just notice the awkwardness :p

I always watch Comprehensive highlights. As I said before , I will upload a video as soon as I'm back home(in about an hour or so).

I actually find it weird that 3 people claim to not have seen this, it's really frequent in my game. And by the way I'm not ranting, it doesn't even really bother me - I just notice the awkwardness :p

Same highlights as me. Like i say i really dont disbelieve you, im maybe just more concerned that if it is regular, why the hell am i not paying enough attention to see it! Think im going to have to start turning off the TV and the girl friend when i play FM, they must be taking my full attention away from whats important :D

I actually find it weird that 3 people claim to not have seen this, it's really frequent in my game.

In fairness, and I do believe this happens to you as you're one of the more sensible posters, I can't remember anyone else ever posting about that before your post earlier. It might be there's considerably more than three of us who haven't seen this.

I see it on comprehensive highlights as well so its not just you :D

It doesn't seem as frequent as you suggest though, my impression would be I may go 3-4 games without seeing it then maybe see it 2-3 times in one match.

I see it on comprehensive highlights as well so its not just you :D

It doesn't seem as frequent as you suggest though, my impression would be I may go 3-4 games without seeing it then maybe see it 2-3 times in one match.

Fairly sure I'm on comprehensive as well (whichever one is the most highlights you can see without going to full game)

I love the way the keeper just runs across the goal line like he's frightened of the ball hitting him.

:lol:

Yeah, like the olden days, playing in the rain with a mould-master mitre. I have honestly never seen a player stop before hitting the penalty - like to think it was intentional, but more likely a bug.

Archived