Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Is there any need to get personal?

Yes, because sometimes i wonder why you do things in this way and i can't understand.

I think that you're a great user, a great player and you know very much of the game.

You can help, and sometimes you do. But other times seems that you want simply provoke, and it's ugly.

Because the moment i read the post of the user saying "deservedly win" i thought "oh, it's when you dominate a game after another and you always lose" and i really can't understand why you simply assume that "it's a moaner". I think that we, in this forum, are all on the same boat. Am i wrong?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not so much number of goals scored from corners that annoys me, even though it is too much at the moment.

What basically made me quit around a month ago awaiting the new patch, is that match highlights are so dominated by corners/freekicks. I could play games where basically every highlight was a corner, even if those were rare I started to feel like play set-pice manager instead of football manager.

Killed the joy of my game even though I was doing great result-wise.

I don't see how that is at all funny?

I WAS deservedly winning games, outplaying and outscoring my opponents, what part of this is funny? or did you just want to keep up your record of answering every single post but just ran out of things to say?

I think I can answer this one as he is not around.

Rather than looking at your situation, maybe I can use my situation to explain it better.

1. In 2013/14 I took San Marino to the Serie C1/A title. It was a bit of a surprise as we shouldn't have been anywhere near it with the players at our disposal.

2. In 2014/15 this same San Marino team went the whole Serie B season only winning 1 game and drawing 1 other, (I was on holiday the day we won).

I was extremely unhappy with how the 2014/15 season went and was frustrated beyond belief, (at one point I think I threw a strop and refused to play for a whole week). The point to this is, that if I am going to accept the periods where we seem to over-perform and exceed expectations, (as we did significantly in 2013/14), then we also have to accept the periods whwn contrastingly we seem to under-perform and fall short of expectations, (as we did the following year).

He is finding it funny that you are happy for situation 1 to happen, but not at all for situation 2 to occur.

It's clearly OBVIOUS that if you dominate a game, you lose, you complain - you are a moaner.

But if you dominate EVERY game, even if you are Bologna or what else, and you lose 2 games on 3...no, you're not a moaner.

It's not your tactics, because a game can happen, but if every game you do the double of shots in goals than the opponent and you lost that's something broken in the game. Right?

Or not? Because if not you must explain to me why a wrong tactic don't turn into an ugly match, when the opponent dominate you and you DESERVEDLY lose.

In these games, did you dominate the goals scored column? No? Then how do you have the divine right to win a game based on anything else?

Yes, because sometimes i wonder why you do things in this way and i can't understand.

I think that you're a great user, a great player and you know very much of the game.

You can help, and sometimes you do. But other times seems that you want simply provoke, and it's ugly.

I'm not 'provoking' anyone. It simply amuses me when people never complain about the game when their team is winning every week but as soon as they start losing, it's all the game's fault.

Am i wrong?

You're entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else*, I just don't see why you should have to get personal about it. Once you start responding to the poster more than the post, it's a slippery slope.

*But yes, you are wrong :p

In these games, did you dominate the goals scored column? No? Then how do you have the divine right to win a game based on anything else?

Just saying, it's not my case.

It's the way to treat other users, simply.

As for "dominate the game" it's pretty clear to understand what i mean.

I know what football is.

Simply, wrong tactics translate often into wrong performances.

But if you do brilliant performances and simply your players fail simply goals when the opponent play the game of the life and this happen one game in and one game out how can be tactical?

*But yes, you are wrong :p

You know that i know that you're right.

It's the way you say things that i found wrong, not the contents itself.

I don't think that the user have won all the games he won with the opponent dominating him.

If this the case, there's still a problem in the game, IMHO.

Simply, wrong tactics translate often into wrong performances.

But if you do brilliant performances and simply your players fail simply goals when the opponent play the game of the life and this happen one game in and one game out how can be tactical?

Absolute rubbish I'm afraid. I'm currently managing Partizan, and have built an ultra possession based tactic. In my twenty or so games, I have never dropped below 70% possession or 80% pass completion. I have 20-30 shots per game. Aesthetically, the build-up football I'm playing is great at times. But against some teams, I struggle to convert that into wins. Do I have a good tactic? Not really. You can have 90% of the ball, but if you don't take your chances, then the other team just might.

And of course having an excellent game one day and a poor one the next can be tactical - you're facing different teams, with vastly different set-ups.

So, what you're saying is that the game ISN'T bugged when he's constantly winning, but IS when he's losing. Try changing that dynamic for a second. Try thinking in terms of his tactic maybe not being that great. Perhaps is tactic is allowing him to win because of the flaws in the engine, and he's starting to lose because, well, it's not a great tactic, is it?

I'm not for one minute saying that's the case - he'll just be on a bad run, it happens - but if you're going to cry about the game being flawed, you have to accept it could be flawed in your favour as well as against you. The game doesn't know nor care who's doing the inputting.

Absolute rubbish I'm afraid. I'm currently managing Partizan, and have built an ultra possession based tactic. In my twenty or so games, I have never dropped below 70% possession or 80% pass completion. I have 20-30 shots per game. Aesthetically, the build-up football I'm playing is great at times. But against some teams, I struggle to convert that into wins. Do I have a good tactic? Not really. You can have 90% of the ball, but if you don't take your chances, then the other team just might.

And of course having an excellent game one day and a poor one the next can be tactical - you're facing different teams, with vastly different set-ups.

And you're clearly right.

What im saying is that, in long terms, a dominant game bring results.

Obviously, many games can go wrong, but in long terms...that's what i meant.

Again, if i use Sassuolo and i lose with Juventus by 3-4 goals it MUST happen - at least the first years - but Juventus must destroy my team.

If i dominate the game with Sassuolo and i lose by 3-4 goals...this is something i can't understand clearly.

If I could be so rude as to offer a real life example of just this sort of thing, (quite a high profile and recent example actually).

Man Utd 2 - 2 Fulham.

Possession 75% - 25%.

Shots 31 - 6.

On target 9 - 3.

Corners 10 - 1.

Despite that, it was only a draw and even more than that, had Richardson shown just a tiny bit of composure on 2 separate occasions, Fulham would have won.

So, what you're saying is that the game ISN'T bugged when he's constantly winning, but IS when he's losing. Try changing that dynamic for a second. Try thinking in terms of his tactic maybe not being that great. Perhaps is tactic is allowing him to win because of the flaws in the engine, and he's starting to lose because, well, it's not a great tactic, is it?

I'm not for one minute saying that's the case - he'll just be on a bad run, it happens - but if you're going to cry about the game being flawed, you have to accept it could be flawed in your favour as well as against you. The game doesn't know nor care who's doing the inputting.

Dave, you're right of course.

But in this forum i read many cases of people saying "the game is bugged" - even me - after a tremendous winning streak.

I talk for myself, if i had to win because the flaws in the engine trust me, i came here and i post "game is wrong".

And many users do the same, at least of what i read in these pages.

If I could be so rude as to offer a real life example of just this sort of thing, (quite a high profile and recent example actually).

Despite that, it was only a draw and even more than that, had Richardson shown just a tiny bit of composure on 2 separate occasions, Fulham would have won.

Perfectly clear. But, as i said, im talking about long terms results. A game sometimes can happen, it's how often this happen in the game that's wrong.

If i dominate the game with Sassuolo and i lose by 3-4 goals...this is something i can't understand clearly.

What is your definition of 'dominating the game'? If you're losing 4 goals in a game whilst not scoring at the other end, you aren't 'dominating' anything IMO, regardless of how much posession or how many shots you have.

What is your definition of 'dominating the game'? If you're losing 4 goals in a game whilst not scoring at the other end, you aren't 'dominating' anything IMO, regardless of how much posession or how many shots you have.

Ok, but in real life football i never saw a team way to poor (tecnhically) made possession and shoots.

That's what i meant.

If game is right, maybe i must lose by 4 goals and DON'T made possession and shoots.

Im sorry for my english, i hope that it's clear what i want to say.

Exactly what I find. I can build tactics quite easily and get the team to play how I want, it doesn't always mean I win though.

I think a lot of the trouble with tactics, is people wanting to play a certain way for any team of any skill level. For example, they may want to play like Barcelona, but they're managing Crawley Town in League 2. It just isn't going to work. The players are in league two because they're crap (obviously exaggerated for effect - sort of). They can't play the Barcelone way, they're not good enough. Yet the manager tells them to and wonders why they fail.

I have to admit that this is one of my major flaws when playing the game. I can't help but tell the team to play attractive football - despite the fact they are suited at long ball stuff. It is always my downfall. I have just tried to come to terms with the fact that Sacilese in Italy (who I currently manage) will have to resort to playing like Wimbledon in the 80's/early 90's. I simply can't keep on winning 6-4 and then getting the odd pasting. Direct football suits us better, despite the fact it makes my skin crawl!

The difference with real life football though is that the teams have real life managers. Who, apart from a few noticeable exceptions, know what they're doing tactically.

As FM gets closer to replicating real life sitatuations and tactics, thus the managers who don't put the time in to learn how it works will suffer. This may well lose SI a lot of the 'pick up and play' brigade, and I think this is one of the main reasons FM Classic was introduced.

It's definitely becoming more simulation than game, but that's a good thing in my point of view. There's plenty of other football games, including many online manager games that are the opposite.

So you can accept that the game COULD be flawed in favour of me, but NOT in favour of the AI? This is where common sense goes out of the window as far as i'm concerned.

Lets face it EVERYONE is aware that there are issues with the game and ME yes? even SI(right now trying to make fixes) so what is so hard to believe that the ME is the cause of these downright strange results where its more likely that the AI score from my team scoring an o.g. than from my 4 strikers not being able to score previously simple chances?

Why is this specific part of the game exempt from criticism?

So you can accept that the game COULD be flawed in favour of me, but NOT in favour of the AI?

It was a purely hypothetical scenario in that post, but if the game is flawed, the game is flawed. Not for you or against you.

And a grand total of NONE of the current issues in the game will be directly responsible for your long winning runs or losing runs, that's all down to you I'm afraid, for better or worse.

As FM gets closer to replicating real life sitatuations and tactics, thus the managers who don't put the time in to learn how it works will suffer.

This is part of the problem imo. It's not a case of learning tactics or how football works, it's a case of learning how the game works, what the various options will do and the effect it will have on your team when combined together. It's not particularly intuitive and where in real life we would have the entire english language to get across to our players what we wish them to do, in FM we have a limited number of options which may or may not do what we think they do.

And a grand total of NONE of the current issues in the game will be directly responsible for your long winning runs or losing runs, that's all down to you I'm afraid, for better or worse.

How do you know that exactly?

Surely as I said, if there are known issues with the game(which we all accept, even SI) well why not the part of the game that is responsible for these things happening? you can't just say "coz I said so" that means nothing, surely you understand that DD?

jimbob, we've explained to you countless times the reasons for what's happening to you.

It's not our fault that you refuse to listen and learn.

Now please, will you stop spamming us with this "game is cheating me" rubbish? Thanks.

jimbob, we've explained to you countless times the reasons for what's happening to you.

It's not our fault that you refuse to listen and learn.

Now please, will you stop spamming us with this "game is cheating me" rubbish? Thanks.

How can you say WE'VE told you? did you code FM(if so sorry)? if not, why exactly should I take your word for it?

I'm not on here posting for something to do, i'm trying to save my enjoyment of FM.

And how on earth is this spam?

How can you say WE'VE told you? did you code FM(if so sorry)? if not, why exactly should I take your word for it?

I'm not on here posting for something to do, i'm trying to save my enjoyment of FM.

Ackter was referring to the multitude of people in this thread who have responded to you, plus those responding in others you started in GD and those you started in the Tactics Forum, all of which cite the same stuff and all of which are becoming rather tiresome to read.

I don't know how you'll be able to save your enjoyment of FM, when your posts all appear to blame everything and everyone except the user.

A definition of spamming for you: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spamming

I seem to remember you having a couple of topics where people tried to help, but you refused to listen, so to keep harping on with the same stuff following that, you could class that as spam.

Plus, Ackter is a moderator. Assigned by SI. That's maybe why you should take his word for it. Not to mention that he actually knows what he's talking about.

HTH.

If you look at some of the posts people like Ackter have made in other parts of these forums, you'll see they are VERY good at the game. It's almost sickening. So if he says something, it's generally correct.

Not sure if it was Ackter who did the Messi experiment - when people were moaning about Messi being rubbish on the game. He then took over Barcelona and had Messi score about 70 goals in every season! Point proved. Git. :D

Edit: Also, he knows about code and all that...apparently. Someone told me. Doesn't get more informative than that.

Wow, look at that reaction, all those quotes from what was a very reasonable post.

There's an issue right there.

Sorry but I don't want to be in the club where everyone even the Moderators attack the posters in this bullying fashion(plus childish and funny) all I wanted was a few answers to a few questions, but it seems that the only response is basically "its your tactics"

Maybe there should be a separate thread for those who believe something else may be going on?

Wow, look at that reaction, all those quotes from what was a very reasonable post.

There's an issue right there.

Sorry but I don't want to be in the club where everyone even the Moderators attack the posters in this bullying fashion(plus childish and funny) all I wanted was a few answers to a few questions, but it seems that the only response is basically "its your tactics"

Maybe there should be a separate thread for those who believe something else may be going on?

How do you explain some of the amazing success stories on here then, if it's not your tactics?

How do you explain some of the amazing success stories on here than if it's not your tactics?

I have my own success story, sadly it was spoilt somewhat by what I've described. Have I suggested the game is too difficult? no, just that I don't agree that "it's your tactics" crap.

Sadly it seems like a take it or leave it situation, despite the fact that issues are known with the game yet this part of the game gets a free pass, how so?

The part of the game you're complaining about is the AI's unfair advantage over you in certain matches - this simply does not exist.

We can teach you to understand what's happening and how to improve your conversion rates, but you'll actually have to accept that we know what we're talking about.

The part of the game you're complaining about is the AI's unfair advantage over you in certain matches - this simply does not exist.

We can teach you to understand what's happening and how to improve your conversion rates, but you'll actually have to accept that we know what we're talking about.

Alright don't rub it in! :p

I had a morale climb down to accept where I was going wrong a while ago. I looked at the TTF and it really helps....cliche but it does, if you invest the time in actually reading. I like to think I have one over on you still anyway as my musical taste is far superior.....Frank Zappa? Deary me. :D

Ok then, i'm using the Rainmaker and Silk and Steel tactics, plus a counter version for seeing out games.

What i'm noticing, despite of over achieving is that the better and more suited players I get, I seem to have to do more and more to get a win. Its as if I've done too well and the better my team the more the game starts taking liberties by making my players miss easy chances and even worse is having me concede ridiculous goals at the other end(9 own goals from 26 conceded)

The tactics are here to be d/loaded, if you can tell me what is wrong with them i'd be happy to hear.

Thanks

Jimbob, there are obviously some issues in the ME still. PaulC acknowledged that in this very thread and he said they are working on it for the next patch. The thing to remember, is that the ME cannot differentiate between human and AI, so it cannot be "in favour" of either. It's just two teams playing against each other. You have to accept this.

Joe's Garage is the greatest song of all time. Don't make me ban you.

I'm one of the least knowledgeable tactical mods* tbh. wwfan and Cleon, for example, leave me in the dust. My area of "expertise" is the visualisation and implementation of a tactical system. If you really want in-depth knowledge, the others are much better people to learn from.

*I'm not strictly a tactical mod, but you know what I mean.

Ok then, i'm using the Rainmaker and Silk and Steel tactics, plus a counter version for seeing out games.

What i'm noticing, despite of over achieving is that the better and more suited players I get, I seem to have to do more and more to get a win. Its as if I've done too well and the better my team the more the game starts taking liberties by making my players miss easy chances and even worse is having me concede ridiculous goals at the other end(9 own goals from 26 conceded)

The tactics are here to be d/loaded, if you can tell me what is wrong with them i'd be happy to hear.

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with them when the person using them understands what's going on and why they work - it lets them spot situations where they won't work as well and make changes accordingly.

However, there's no such thing as a true plug-and-play tactic any more in FM. You actually need to understand what a tactic is doing and what players you need to make it work for it to be completely successful.

I advise you to forget about downloaded tactics and do this:

1. Visualise how you want your team to play.

2. Start a thread in the Tactics forum explaining how you want your team to play.

3. Ask for advice on how to best implement your ideas using the tactical module.

Not having a go here, but why don't you try building your own tactic around the players you have and with the philosophy you want to play with? You talk about getting enjoyment from the game. My own personal enjoyment of it has doubled since I sat down and built my own tactic from scratch. It's the best advice I can give you really. Take it or leave it.

I'm one of the least knowledgeable tactical mods* tbh. wwfan and Cleon, for example, leave me in the dust. My area of "expertise" is the visualisation and implementation of a tactical system. If you really want in-depth knowledge, the others are much better people to learn from.

Is this aimed at me? if so I don't understand?

And why on earth would you have to ban me??? :confused:

Haha! Sorry, I'll refrain from such posts in future to avoid the confusion (and ban!). Just shows how much people actually read the thread...:eek:

Talk about exploiting your power...:D

I know what you mean about wwfan and Cleon, very good at this thing. I wouldn't quite say they leave you in the dust. If they leave you in the dust, I must be stone age!

No, that was in reply to Beestonite, who was having a pop at my location.

Oh sorry.

I appreciate your advice, but I've just spent almost 3 seasons and many hours bringing in players to suit those tactics and yet I was seeing no dramatic change in results(or luck)

All I really wanted was to play a game where I win most matches in which I deserve to win, draw most matches I deserve to draw and lose most matches I deserve to lose, with the odd upset thrown in(as in real life).

This doesn't seem to be the case in FM and unless the next patch fixes that problem, then I can't see how the game can be deemed playable :(

I just find it totally unacceptable that my tactics can be blamed for more than a third of goals I concede being own goals and that at the other end chance after chance goes begging when the AI can score so many "cheap" goals.

You have to remember that own goals are lucky/unlucky and cannot be put down to a teams tactics.

Oh sorry.

I appreciate your advice, but I've just spent almost 3 seasons and many hours bringing in players to suit those tactics and yet I was seeing no dramatic change in results(or luck)

All I really wanted was to play a game where I win most matches in which I deserve to win, draw most matches I deserve to draw and lose most matches I deserve to lose, with the odd upset thrown in(as in real life).

This doesn't seem to be the case in FM and unless the next patch fixes that problem, then I can't see how the game can be deemed playable :(

I just find it totally unacceptable that my tactics can be blamed for more than a third of goals I concede being own goals and that at the other end chance after chance goes begging when the AI can score so many "cheap" goals.

You have to remember that own goals are lucky/unlucky and cannot be put down to a teams tactics.

I bet most managers would like that. Chelsea vs. West Ham, Man United vs. Fulham and countless others, Man city vs. Norwich. Many many more.

I bet most managers would like that. Chelsea vs. West Ham, Man United vs. Fulham and countless others, Man city vs. Norwich. Many many more.

I think we can add Spurs v Everton to the list.

From a Barnet fans point of view I would also add....

Barnet v Nuneaton, Barnet v Lincoln, Barnet v Macc, Barnet v Wrexham & Barnet v Welling.

Oh sorry.

That's an incredibly simplistic view though. Why was your player forced to concede that own goal? Was he out of position? That would be down to your tactics. I'm not saying it is, but the dismissive "it's not my tactics" no matter who tries to help you is a poor attitude to have.

What? i'm sorry but if you don't believe this to be the case in real life then I would have to insist that you don't watch a lot of football.

Plus

1. How many "good" chances did Chelsea create against West Ham? I can think of only one right at the end, almost every shot was a potshot from distance

2. How many "good" chances did City create against Norwich?(in fact I think Norwich had the best chances)

3. Cannot comment on the Utd v Fulham game(haven't seen it)

In FM I consistently have to watch games in which i'm shown one thing during a game that seems to totally go against the final result.

Well yes and no.

Unless the own goal is a 50-yard punt straight into the net by one of your own players, an own goal is still the result of a chance by the opposition, whether it's a deflected corner or from a 'normal' build up. So, while the final touch in an og carries a bit of luck, you can try and look to see if anything you could do tactically could have prevented the opposition getting into that position in the first place.

The game isn't against you. Your problems appear to be the result of not really understanding your downloaded tactic properly and having some bad luck along the way. Issues in the game will result in the odd goal here and there for both you and the opposition, they won't be responsible for a long losing run. The sooner you grasp this, the sooner you can move forward and start enjoying the game.

I don't get your point? this is a "one off" game you have posted about, I totally agree that these games happen 100%, what I don't agree with is that it happens to the same team week after week after week and I am a strong believer that these kind's of games even out over a season or two, absolutely nothing like I see in FM.

Archived