Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Out of interest, why was the CCC count even added to the game? Surely SI added it so that it could be used as an indicator of how effective the player's tactics are? As such, countless CCCs but few goals to show for it would have my alarm bells ringing too.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In amongst all this discussion, I saw something in my game last night that I've never noticed before. One of my key players has been called up for national service and was due to join another team the day after my quarter-final tie in the Club World Championship. I managed to get through the quarter-final and his national service was delayed for a few days until the semi-final had been played, then again until after the final.

This may well have been in previous games too, but as I say, something I'd never noticed before. :thup:

As for getting results when the other team are dominating, I'm pretty pleased with how the semi-final went:

http://s26.postimg.org/b5f8kro55/Chungju_Hummel_v_FC_Bayern_Stats_Match_Stats.png

That was done using the Silk & Steel tactic mentioned by jimbob earlier, with a couple of minor tweaks. The tactic's damn good if you have the right players for it, but if you have strikers who are dominant in the air but not especially quick for example,it isn't going to work.

Leading 1-0 in the 80th minute.

Fall victim to two goalkeeping howlers. One including a 50 yard free kick looping over my paralysed keeper and another where the keeper throws the ball into the path of the striker.

Get a penalty in the 90+2 minute and he blazes over the bar. ****ing hell.

i usually stay away from these blame-fest threads, but enough is enough.

yes, there is a slight issue with the number of corners given (a couple of my career games have a ton of corners, a couple does not, seems to me down to how you defend and the makeup of your defenders more then anything else), but nothing you cant prevent with a little common logic. double up on the far post marking and man mark the other threats, instantly you will see less goals from corners. then try ease off tackles with your defenders and clear to flanks and the number of corners/fks given in danger positions will also decrease. logic.

to prevent last minute goals, change your fullbacks to defend duty in the last ten minutes, make sure you have a dmc to mop up chances on edge of box, change mentality to defense or contain,use time wasting and play narrow/less closing down/short passing and keep possesion. ive seen out many 1-0 leads with these instructions and sometimes even add to the lead with a counter. IT WORKS.

but to be fair 14.2.2 does have some counter-intuitive instructional consequences. i find that "shoot less" is almost required for inside forwards/wingers to get the best out of them. i dont think it should be this way (not for IFs anyway). another thing is that playing a high line against a slick passing team is effective, and drop deeper against the west hams of the world is effective. while this might make conceptual sense (highline= less space for slick passing in front of your defenders, deep line=more coverage for longball-heavy attacks) i think in real life its usually the other way around. chelsea does not play a deep line against west ham, they do however play one against city.

hopefully 14.2.3 will fix some of these problems. but seriously, its hardly as bad as some of you make it out to be and completely adaptable with tactic tweaks.

Officialy I'm stoping today playing FM2014 until a decent patch comes out !!

I'l give you my little story..

3rd season with Aberdeen, we were champions on the second season and now we have a pretty decent squad for the scotish premiership.

Semi finals of the Cup agains Hearts....I'm second in the league...Hearts is 12th !!

Repeated the game 32 times !!!! YES !!! 32 times !!!

And you know ?? 32 defeats !! 16 of the with own goals !! 27 of the with goals from corners !! In 31 games I lost 2-1/2-0 or 3-1 !! With Hearts making 3 shots at goal !! In ALL the 32 I shoted at least 20 times...and at least 8 in goal !! Even 2, sometimes 3 CCC per game !! And Hearts... 0 !! ZERO !! And everytime they won !!

So please SI...do something...you ruined a fantastic game that 2013 was !! We lost sometimes in FM2013, and we even enjoy the game we we lost but in FM2014 its impossible to enjoy the game !!

No matter the players, the tactics, the team talk, the subs....no matter what...your ME is ruining everything !!!!

Nothing more to say...I'll paciently wait for the patch !! And maybe this was the last FM I ever bought (and I play the game since 94 !!) !!

I would imagine that there is an element of skewed user perception when it comes to judging how rare events are in FM.

The problem can stem from the fact we are able to play 20+ matches in a single session with some folk completing a season in a single day, this means that those matches where things just didn't go our way are fresh in our memory whereas irl 3 months to a year might have passed so recalling incidents from the same number of real life matches becomes increasingly difficult.

I absolutely agree, and it doesn't help that, in my opinion, the cut and scene picking of the highlight modes (even the one before 'full match') isn't doing a great job to'highlight' what's really going on on the pitch. Of course 'full match' will always give the user more detail, but I never experienced so much difference in 'control' between 'full match' and the highlight mode right next to it (comprehensive?), than in FM14. Hardly something easy to measure or back-up with data, but the difference for me personally is very noticeable.

Haven't set a more defending tactics myself up until now when going with a relegation contender yet, but did now, just to test a couple of things (and theories). There is no doubt that FM 2014 has changed significantly. You didn't ever see teams that got promoted alongside your side amassing 35 shots against you if you merely went "counter" mentality, "dropped deeper" and additionally shielded your back line with 2 defensive midfielders, for a start. That is also where the other scenarios are coming from in which people reported games with up to 60 shots prior to the last patch, no doubt. Merely going "drop deeper" has your side drop off really early, even if you don't go all out defend as a mentality. The thing is that the insanely many shots then are deflected and lead to corners, and corners can lead to goals. Additionally, focusing on defending, as the number of successful dribblings remain way off the charts, it is hard to pick an approach in dealing with opponents - even average players can make 5, 6+ runs a game on their day. As with CCCs, looking at the incidents on the analysis tab will tell you that not evrey single run is all it seems. But still. In FM 2013 and prior, as in real football, that were the numbers Ribery, Robben or Messi would have pulled off on that level. Here it is occasionally like everyone. I could have seen myself massively struggling had I carried on, tbh.

A huge contrast to the Chelsea save of the weekend, where I just went a very direct attacking style, four forwards essentially, never did anything in-match but still was able to compete for trophies no less. True, the quality of the side was hugely different. But the above scenario never happened in any of the previous FMs. In older iterations I was able to actually close out higher tier sides here and then by denying them space, here I'm afraid to pick an instruction like "stand off opponents" if I'm the big underdog, almost.

3rd season with Aberdeen, we were champions on the second season and now we have a pretty decent squad for the scotish premiership.

Semi finals of the Cup agains Hearts....I'm second in the league...Hearts is 12th !!

And you know ?? 32 defeats !! 16 of the with own goals !! 27 of the with goals from corners !! In 31 games I lost 2-1/2-0 or 3-1 !! With Hearts making 3 shots at goal !! In ALL the 32 I shoted at least 20 times...and at least 8 in goal !! Even 2, sometimes 3 CCC per game !! And Hearts... 0 !! ZERO !! And everytime they won !!

So please SI...do something...you ruined a fantastic game that 2013 was !! We lost sometimes in FM2013, and we even enjoy the game we we lost but in FM2014 its impossible to enjoy the game !!

No matter the players, the tactics, the team talk, the subs....no matter what...your ME is ruining everything !!!!

Nothing more to say...I'll paciently wait for the patch !! And maybe this was the last FM I ever bought (and I play the game since 94 !!) !!

Why do I get the feeling that you normally restart games and this was first time it didn't work out? If you've been playing like this then it's impossible to analyze your tactics and know what's wrong.

mariobernardo. What I find interesting is that the ME didn't "ruin everything when you won the Premiership with Aberdeen. The ME didn't "ruin everything" when you got to the Semi's against Hearts. Interestingly, the ME only "ruined everything" when you lost to Hearts.

The reason I say this is because the things that I find frustrating about the game, make me feel frustrated whether we win, lose or draw. I have lost 1 Serie B Playoff Final, (based on who was ranked higher of all things), and then I have lost 2 Italian Cup Finals and last season I lost the EURO Cup Final. Only 1 of those 4 games was one-sided against my team, but we still lost them. Does that mean that my ME is broken too? Or is it just broken when I lose and replay the match, and lose again, etc etc etc etc,

The moral of the story is..... DON'T REPLAY MATCHES! :herman:

i'm getting aggravated at never winning goal of the month

2 of my goals scored in that month,

Rafeal picks the ball up near the halfway line, runs with it, dribbles past 2 players and scored.

Lewendowski smashes a shot a tightish angle from about 16 yards.

and yet

0557F710504DD444DA371F22E70D9589F2E3C251

a FREE KICK wins it? come on.

Hi all,

I remember reading a while ago that fm14 had a bug that affected whether players would go to the bundasliga.

Has this been fixed? Or was it only discovered in 14.2.2?

If it hasn't been fixed, is it itermittent?

I only ask as i'm about to start a journey man game and wanna find out if there is much point turning on the German Leagues

Thanks

Why do I get the feeling that you normally restart games and this was first time it didn't work out? If you've been playing like this then it's impossible to analyze your tactics and know what's wrong.

My friend, I had never restarted a game in almost 20 years of FM !! That is why I'm so sad about this Fm 2014, I repeated this game 32 times for experience because during the whole season I lost 7 or 8 matches with my opponent making just 1 or 2 shoots !! So I decided to make this experience and that's how I notice that !!

Sorry. just wanted to share these results of Almeria team managed by the AI.

I have never seen anything like this in any version of FM/CM and i am veteran since 99/00 days.

Untitled_zps3d7db5e2.png

I'd like an Almeria season ticket in this case - you're certainly getting value for money in terms of goals.

You won the league in the second season, and your not complaining about something being a miss? Again, there only seems to be an issue when its against a user, never when it works for them.

Sorry. just wanted to share these results of Almeria team managed by the AI.

I have never seen anything like this in any version of FM/CM and i am veteran since 99/00 days.

Untitled_zps3d7db5e2.png

Those are pretty crazy - could you post about this in the bugs forum, please?

Which patch version are you using?

Latest patch.. These results have been going for the last 4 seasons. I am now in season 23/24

Just look at the end year tables. Teams in the bottom half are scoring way to many goals, i do not know the official figures but i am guessing that some are scoring twice as many goals as a team in that position should score. Also mid-table team scoring 70 and conceding 70?

table1_zpsa64cc455.png

table2_zps92ca216a.png

table3_zps11b42188.png

You won the league in the second season, and your not complaining about something being a miss? Again, there only seems to be an issue when its against a user, never when it works for them.

I'm sorry if I was misunderstod but I'm not complaining about losing a match !! I loose lots of them, and It gives reality to the game...I even enjoy losing and

confirm that I deserve to lose sometimes !! For instance I played Cenltic 15 times in 3 years and just I've just won 4 of them...losing 8 !! So please dont give me the "bad losing" speech because I'm a FM player since the really begining and I really enjoyed all of the saves I started, from the ones with Big teams to the ones in LLM.

I'm complaining about losing the same game 32 times !!! I did this as a matter of an experience, to share and to know if anyone ever experienced the same ...and the conclusion I found is that some games AI is "surpose" to win...no matterwhat your choices are !! And this is stange...so I'm guessing its a problem with the ME, just another one...like the corner goals, the "freezing" keepers and defenders, the own goals, the endless penalty shootouts !! That is why I'm sad with SI...just want them to correct this issues !!

I'm sorry if I was misunderstod but I'm not complaining about losing a match !! I loose lots of them, and It gives reality to the game...I even enjoy losing and

confirm that I deserve to lose sometimes !! For instance I played Cenltic 15 times in 3 years and just I've just won 4 of them...losing 8 !! So please dont give me the "bad losing" speech because I'm a FM player since the really begining and I really enjoyed all of the saves I started, from the ones with Big teams to the ones in LLM.

I'm complaining about losing the same game 32 times !!! I did this as a matter of an experience, to share and to know if anyone ever experienced the same ...and the conclusion I found is that some games AI is "surpose" to win...no matterwhat your choices are !! And this is stange...so I'm guessing its a problem with the ME, just another one...like the corner goals, the "freezing" keepers and defenders, the own goals, the endless penalty shootouts !! That is why I'm sad with SI...just want them to correct this issues !!

No game is impossible to win and there is no coding that decides the AI team will win a particular match.

At the point you have saved certain things have already been set in stone such as your post match team talk from your previous game, anything that has happened between the matches, probably a press conference as well so on each "attempt" is starting from a point where you probably have a low % chance of winning that match.

However that doesn't mean you can't, you just need to make better choices and if you upload your save you'll find someone wins that match fairly quickly.

Rather than concentrating on how many times you lost, perhaps it would be a good idea to try and work out why you lost.

Just thought i'd pop in and explain a couple of things.

1. I don't want/expect to win all the time, I would find no fun in that whatsoever and would be on here moaning about that instead.

2. The game would be better if it was more difficult, because eventually somebody is going to come across something that works better than something else in the ME, that is not the fault of the player it is a fault of the ME because so much still does not work how it is supposed to work, so people test and test till they can find something that actually works and by that I don't mean a cheat, I mean an allowed instruction in the tactical set up of the game that actually does what you want.

3. Yes I overachieve and yes that can be unrealistic, but that is nowhere near as bad as getting to a point where the ME has to make me concede the most ridiculous of goals just so that I can lose games, or appear to do that anyway and I know people keep saying the same thing over and over "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager" yet having played as much as I have for as long as I have, I have never been in a position where I can agree with that statement even one little bit.

I generally start every FM(or patch) unable to get results or at least anything recognisable as consistent results, which is fair enough. I start test game after test game trying to find out what works/how/why/when. If this is unsuccessful I will look around the tactics forums for a d/loadable tactic(s) which I will also test. If I need to I will make some slight adjustments as I go to perfect it as much as possible. Pretty soon I will start to overachieve and then all the realistic matches I had been getting whilst learning disappear and all I start seeing is the kind of matches that I mention on here, like suddenly conceding loads of own goals in situations where the opposition have not even had a shot on target, or my keeper making a save then dropping the ball at his own feet and refusing to pick it up and instead allowing the opposing striker in for yet another cheap goal.

If the game didn't do this so often and so blatantly I would not be on here complaining and I would believe it when I hear the statement "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager". Until then I will continue to question the games integrity, be honest who wouldn't?

3. Yes I overachieve and yes that can be unrealistic, but that is nowhere near as bad as getting to a point where the ME has to make me concede the most ridiculous of goals just so that I can lose games, or appear to do that anyway and I know people keep saying the same thing over and over "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager" yet having played as much as I have for as long as I have, I have never been in a position where I can agree with that statement even one little bit.

People say it over and over because it's a FACT and you're not listening.

I will continue to question the games integrity, be honest who wouldn't?

More than being honest, I'll be logical - why would SI rig the game in the AI's favour, if all that can do is annoy the paying customers? Does that sound like a good business decision?

Just thought i'd pop in and explain a couple of things.

1. I don't want/expect to win all the time, I would find no fun in that whatsoever and would be on here moaning about that instead.

2. The game would be better if it was more difficult, because eventually somebody is going to come across something that works better than something else in the ME, that is not the fault of the player it is a fault of the ME because so much still does not work how it is supposed to work, so people test and test till they can find something that actually works and by that I don't mean a cheat, I mean an allowed instruction in the tactical set up of the game that actually does what you want.

I generally start every FM(or patch) unable to get results or at least anything recognisable as consistent results, which is fair enough. I start test game after test game trying to find out what works/how/why/when. If this is unsuccessful I will look around the tactics forums for a d/loadable tactic(s) which I will also test. If I need to I will make some slight adjustments as I go to perfect it as much as possible. Pretty soon I will start to overachieve and then all the realistic matches I had been getting whilst learning disappear and all I start seeing is the kind of matches that I mention on here, like suddenly conceding loads of own goals in situations where the opposition have not even had a shot on target, or my keeper making a save then dropping the ball at his own feet and refusing to pick it up and instead allowing the opposing striker in for yet another cheap goal.

If the game didn't do this so often and so blatantly I would not be on here complaining and I would believe it when I hear the statement "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager". Until then I will continue to question the games integrity, be honest who wouldn't?

1. Somehow I doubt that.

2. Nonsense.

3. Nonsense.

Thanks.

There are a couple of things I have issues with, and I'm sure SI are aware of them.

1) No matter how much training I do and what tactics I set I seem to be conceding a lot from Set Pieces, particularly corners. But conversely not scoring many. This has happened with a couple of teams. Yet I seem to be winning a high percentage of headers.

2) The amount of over hit freekicks, that end up with the goal keepers having to palm them over the bar. Free kicks from 40 yards out, that we clearly meant to be crosses/ balls in to the box, that sail over everyone and nearly dip under the bar. This happens to both me and the opposition, so it's not just the AI doing this.

Finally crossing - The number of over hit crosses, that hit the bar or far post seems out of kilter with real football.

There are a couple of things I have issues with, and I'm sure SI are aware of them.

1) No matter how much training I do and what tactics I set I seem to be conceding a lot from Set Pieces, particularly corners. But conversely not scoring many. This has happened with a couple of teams. Yet I seem to be winning a high percentage of headers.

2) The amount of over hit freekicks, that end up with the goal keepers having to palm them over the bar. Free kicks from 40 yards out, that we clearly meant to be crosses/ balls in to the box, that sail over everyone and nearly dip under the bar. This happens to both me and the opposition, so it's not just the AI doing this.

Finally crossing - The number of over hit crosses, that hit the bar or far post seems out of kilter with real football.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all of those have been brought up in the bugs forum already :thup:

More than being honest, I'll be logical - why would SI rig the game in the AI's favour, if all that can do is annoy the paying customers? Does that sound like a good business decision?

Actually yes, because all they are actually doing is making a game that can still challenge(if not realistically) if not you would eventually just be able to win every game very easily and that would be much worse and that is enough for some people.

Actually yes, because all they are actually doing is making a game that can still challenge(if not realistically) if not you would eventually just be able to win every game very easily and that would be much worse and that is enough for some people.

I, and many, many others, can already win pretty much every game and do it easily. There's plenty of stories of unbeaten seasons going around.

I at least expected some debate from you, at least some reasoning as to why you think i'm wrong?

Why debate? You don't listen to anything. We've all been through this plenty of times with you and it's the same story over and over again.

Us: This is what you're doing wrong.

You: No, I'm not doing that wrong. Look how many CCCs I create. The game is cheating me.

It is​ a fact.

Can you tell me how it is a fact?

Seriously, from what I can make out you are just going by the say so of the company who are making money from your purchase, that sounds crazy to me. A bit like the company in Erin Brokovitch who promised their customers the water was fine(though I don't think FM can give you Cancer???

Can you tell me how it is a fact?

Seriously, from what I can make out you are just going by the say so of the company who are making money from your purchase, that sounds crazy to me. A bit like the company in Erin Brokovitch who promised their customers the water was fine(though I don't think FM can give you Cancer???

Because people who have worked with the match engine for years (note: worked, not played) say so. Plenty of us have been involved enough to know it's true.

Why debate? You don't listen to anything. We've all been through this plenty of times with you and it's the same story over and over again.

Us: This is what you're doing wrong.

You: No, I'm not doing that wrong. Look how many CCCs I create. The game is cheating me.

When you say We you are talking about just a handful of people and although I see enough in your posts to respect them at least, nobody else has posted anything that I would not just take with a pinch of salt.

Archived