Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure (please correct me if i'm wrong) but as you know, we can play the game with only 'commentary' (no graphics at all). So, does it really mean how actually a goal is scored? Aren't the graphics only a 'eye-candy' to show us the underlying statistics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9mbOcNZS8o

Nemanja Matic's performance against City is exactly the thing that SI should improve in the ME in future: defending with anticapating and with physical presence and almost completely without doing sliding tackles. Of course this is a brilliant performance from great player and you can't expect every midfielder in the game being able to do that but that is how Chelsea generally defended against City; by anticapating. I think that they had really few sliding challenges but they won the ball back by reading the game, blocking passing lines and when opponent is in tight space, stick your leg out and win the ball back to your own team. Simply beautiful defending and the game is almost completely missing this. :/

While I completely agree with you, isn't the game at large generally missing this? Clean shorts defending is the pinnacle, but it'll get sneered at by the same people who'll laud Terry for his lunges. Terry is/was a great defender, but if you're sliding in, then you've already positioned yourself badly. Of course you can be sliding in to cover for someone else's mistake, but if you're good enough at reading the game and positioning yourself, you'll never need to make a sliding tackle.

It would be nice to see this distinction in FM. Most defenders will play how they do in FM now, but the real World Class ones will just be standing brick walls who are in the right place every single time.

I'm not sure (please correct me if i'm wrong) but as you know, we can play the game with only 'commentary' (no graphics at all). So, does it really mean how actually a goal is scored? Aren't the graphics only a 'eye-candy' to show us the underlying statistics?

It's not just eye candy. What the match view draws on the screen is what the ME is calculating. If you see a flaw in match view that isn't just an animation glitch (most aren't) then that's also a bug with the ME. If you watch commentary only then you just choose to not be aware of the bugs, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Just one game after the mistake above that happened. Unbelievable.

If you feel it is an error, please upload it as a .pkm.

My view is that isn't a bug at all, but my opinion isn't affected by subjectivity.

Uploading YouTube videos here is all well and good, but it won't get things fixed, and it generally just serves to get the usual collection of pitchfork wielders stamping their feet.

Still happening. Oh my.

Its amazing how we pay $60 for a product which is decent, but is poorly coded and programmed.

In FM13, Im with Torquay in my 3rd season after back to back promotions, playing in the Championship. Im up against Swindon who are currently 18th in League two!!! I play them away in the carling cup and I am major underdogs. I am sitting 4th in the Championship

How does this work?? Poor programming, SORTITOUTSI!!! Common, thats surely just crap. How am i underdogs.

Maybe you should start a competing product then? I'm sure we'd all flock to buy it, as you're clearly very knowledgable in the whole code quality field, even though you can't actually see said code. Spooky.

If you feel it is an error, please upload it as a .pkm.

My view is that isn't a bug at all, but my opinion isn't affected by subjectivity.

Uploading YouTube videos here is all well and good, but it won't get things fixed, and it generally just serves to get the usual collection of pitchfork wielders stamping their feet.

Just posting frustrations. I haven't said it's a bug, as this has only started happening since the latest patch. I'm not trying to be a pitchfork wielder searching for justice, I'm just posting as and what I see happening in my current save. I'm a long time FM fan, but when I am encountering numerous GK'ing errors that I wasn't before, I feel it should be my duty to post. A Youtube video is more beneficial than me trying to explain it, I feel. I also have had a Goalkeeping error again for the third game in a row, which again I have uploaded to YouTube, but won't post this time.

My players also have a very heavy first touch. Granted, I'm only in the Welsh league, but this is also something I've encountered in my casual Arsenal save. Final observation is that set pieces are currently overpowered.

Just my two cents, nothing more. :) Moving on.

Just posting frustrations. I haven't said it's a bug, as this has only started happening since the latest patch. I'm not trying to be a pitchfork wielder searching for justice, I'm just posting as and what I see happening in my current save. I'm a long time FM fan, but when I am encountering numerous GK'ing errors that I wasn't before, I feel it should be my duty to post. A Youtube video is more beneficial than me trying to explain it, I feel. I also have had a Goalkeeping error again for the third game in a row, which again I have uploaded to YouTube, but won't post this time.

My players also have a very heavy first touch. Granted, I'm only in the Welsh league, but this is also something I've encountered in my casual Arsenal save. Final observation is that set pieces are currently overpowered.

Just my two cents, nothing more. :) Moving on.

What would be beneficial, would be for you to make a bug thread, and upload the PKM's so they can have a look and see if they are bugs, youtube videos help no one im afraid.

Just posting frustrations. I haven't said it's a bug, as this has only started happening since the latest patch. I'm not trying to be a pitchfork wielder searching for justice, I'm just posting as and what I see happening in my current save. I'm a long time FM fan, but when I am encountering numerous GK'ing errors that I wasn't before, I feel it should be my duty to post.

Goalkeeper behaviour and first touch issues are being addressed.

I wasn't classing you as a pitchfork wielder :)

Merely pointing out that loading a few clips like that in isolation will get the usual baying hordes bringing out their txt spk "feedback".

People usually only post duff looking bits of play, and I'm sure that regular exposure to these selective events tends to shape peoples' opinions into thinking it is the "norm".

Speaking of what's being addressed in the upcoming patch, it would be nice to get an update on that some time. Not about when but more about what is being fixed. It's some time since we heard about what's going on, it should be interesting :)

Has the extremely poor planning of match dates been fixed?

I would hope so, but I don't think it's that simple. The problem has been there for many versions now, reported widely, but doesn't seem like much has been done. It is a database issue though, so it could be a gap in research around the fixture rules. I know there are some problems in England around the Europa League, but they're pretty minor compared to some of the smaller leagues (South American ones can be dreadful). That makes me think that the higher the level of research, the less chance of these problems. Could be wrong though, and I'd really like it to be fixed.

I would hope so, but I don't think it's that simple. The problem has been there for many versions now, reported widely, but doesn't seem like much has been done. It is a database issue though, so it could be a gap in research around the fixture rules. I know there are some problems in England around the Europa League, but they're pretty minor compared to some of the smaller leagues (South American ones can be dreadful). That makes me think that the higher the level of research, the less chance of these problems. Could be wrong though, and I'd really like it to be fixed.

When you read into what actually goes into fixture planning its incredible. Im amazed they pull it off in FM.

When you read into what actually goes into fixture planning its incredible. Im amazed they pull it off in FM.

But they don't really pull it off, do they? I enjoy the game, but can't help getting annoyed when my team for the umpteenth time plays a league match only to have one day of rest before playing a match in Chamions League. It must be possible to insert some code that forces the schedule to at least have two days of rest between matches.

But they don't really pull it off, do they? I enjoy the game, but can't help getting annoyed when my team for the umpteenth time plays a league match only to have one day of rest before playing a match in Chamions League. It must be possible to insert some code that forces the schedule to at least have two days of rest between matches.

When you know how complicated it actually all is, they do pull it off. Yes there are instances from time to time where it could be better, but for the most part the fixtures work well. If you want to be successful in every comp, make sure you have a big enough squad to pull it off.

But it isn't as simple as that. If you put something that simplistic in, someday down the road you'd run into problems. I agree with milnerpoint - they have done well to build it the way it is now, but it isn't perfect by any means. Having something like 2 games in 3 days is a bit rubbish, but it's nowhere near the worst problem fixture wise.

I've had the Copa America starting before I could play the Libertadores final, and since I was facing a Mexican side and I was Santos, I faced a full-strength team with my reserves.

I've had four games in four days for Penarol because I was playing in the Sudamericana Final, the Club World Championship, and needed to finish my league fixtures.

I've had the Libertadores semi-finals make it so that Uruguayan sides can have to play the Championship play-off first and second legs sandwiching the Lib second leg over three days.

There are much worse cases out there than 2 games in 3 days, and that one can easily happen in real life too.

When you know how complicated it actually all is, they do pull it off. Yes there are instances from time to time where it could be better, but for the most part the fixtures work well. If you want to be successful in every comp, make sure you have a big enough squad to pull it off.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be rude, but that's not really a good enough "excuse". From time to time is maybe 4 or 5 times in a season at least and is too often. It doesn't happen in real life and it makes the game unrealistic(ally difficult), since the players have no time to rest between matches. I have a big enough squad - 25 players is all that can be registered. Sure, I could probably use under 21 players in CL, but 1.) They're not good enough and 2.) Immersion is broken when unrealistic conditions like these are forced upon you. It suddenly doesn't come down to tactics and/or buying and selling the right players but more to match scheduling. A bit annoying.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into an argument since there's no reason to discuss this matter based on subjective beliefs. Either it will be fixed and i will be happy or it will not and I will probably play the game anyway. Third party programs offer a solution, although it's a solution I'd rather not have to use.

There are much worse cases out there than 2 games in 3 days, and that one can easily happen in real life too.

So, basically they haven't really pulled it off and have practically ruined realism in the South American leagues? Please give me a real life example where, say Real Madrid, has had to play a league game on a Sunday only to play a CL match on the following Tuesday.

Edit:

Even in Premier League, they have at least 2 days of rest between matches in December, even though scheduling is compressed due to the WC.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to be rude, but that's not really a good enough "excuse". From time to time is maybe 4 or 5 times in a season at least and is too often. It doesn't happen in real life and it makes the game unrealistic(ally difficult), since the players have no time to rest between matches. I have a big enough squad - 25 players is all that can be registered. Sure, I could probably use under 21 players in CL, but 1.) They're not good enough and 2.) Immersion is broken when unrealistic conditions like these are forced upon you. It suddenly doesn't come down to tactics and/or buying and selling the right players but more to match scheduling. A bit annoying.

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into an argument since there's no reason to discuss this matter based on subjective beliefs. Either it will be fixed and i will be happy or it will not and I will probably play the game anyway. Third party programs offer a solution, although it's a solution I'd rather not have to use.

Well it doesnt happen 4/5 times a season thats a bit of an exaggeration. I could also pull up examples of extreme fixture congestion from real life, but its not worth it. I've yet to be badly effected by this situation, its always manageable, except in the most extreme situations, like Forameuss mentions above.

So, basically they haven't really pulled it off and have practically ruined realism in the South American leagues? Please give me a real life example where, say Real Madrid, has had to play a league game on a Sunday only to play a CL match on the following Tuesday.

Edit:

Even in Premier League, they have at least 2 days of rest between matches in December, even though scheduling is compressed due to the WC.

Man City could conceivably have to play their FA Cup game on Sunday, and then play Barcelona on Tuesday. If they draw with Chelsea in the Cup, things will start getting a bit messy, especially if they beat Barcelona. United played the FA Cup 3rd round tie on Sunday, and then the Capital One Cup First Leg on Tuesday. There are other examples out there, and probably happen with only slightly less regularity than it does in FM.

They have a dynamic scheduling system that for the most part organises games successfully between sometimes up to five competitions. So they have pulled it off pretty well, yes. But there are glaring issues with it, as I've already outlined.

United played the FA Cup 3rd round tie on Sunday, and then the Capital One Cup First Leg on Tuesday. There are other examples out there, and probably happen with only slightly less regularity than it does in FM.

You are absolutely right.

01 Jan PL Tottenham Hotspur H 17:30 1 - 2

05 Jan FA Cup Swansea City H 16:30 1 - 2

07 Jan Capital One Cup Sunderland A 19:45 1 - 2

I wasn't aware of that, and I stand corrected. I still believe it happens too often in FM though. I can't help but wonder why they didn't have Man U play on the 4th instead of the 5th however.

Well it doesnt happen 4/5 times a season thats a bit of an exaggeration. I could also pull up examples of extreme fixture congestion from real life, but its not worth it. I've yet to be badly effected by this situation, its always manageable, except in the most extreme situations, like Forameuss mentions above.

Did a quick search on Penarol, here are their recent fixtures with dates for ALL competitions.

Sun 03/03/13 PRD River Plate 0 - 2 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 09/03/13 PRD Peñarol 2 - 0 Bella Vista View events More info

Tue 12/03/13 COL Vélez Sarsfield 3 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 16/03/13 PRD Cerro 1 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 23/03/13 PRD Peñarol 0 - 1 Danubio View events More info

Fri 29/03/13 PRD Central Español 1 - 3 Peñarol View events More info

Wed 03/04/13 COL Emelec 2 - 0 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 06/04/13 PRD Peñarol 2 - 0 Cerro Largo View events More info

Tue 09/04/13 COL Peñarol 3 - 0 Deportes Iquique View events More info

Sun 14/04/13 PRD El Tanque Sisley 0 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 20/04/13 PRD Peñarol 1 - 2 Racing View events More info

Sun 28/04/13 PRD Defensor Sporting 1 - 0 Peñarol View events More info

Sun 05/05/13 PRD Nacional 0 - 3 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 11/05/13 PRD Peñarol 1 - 0 Progreso View events More info

Sun 19/05/13 PRD Peñarol 0 - 0 Wanderers More info

Sun 26/05/13 PRD Juventud 1 - 5 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 01/06/13 PRD Liverpool 0 - 4 Peñarol View events More info

Wed 05/06/13 PRD Defensor Sporting 1 - 3 Peñarol View events More info

Wed 24/07/13 CLF Benfica 1 - 1 Peñarol More info

Fri 02/08/13 COS Cobreloa 0 - 0 Peñarol View events More info

Fri 09/08/13 COS Peñarol 0 - 2 Cobreloa View events More info

Sat 17/08/13 PRD Peñarol 2 - 4 River Plate View events More info

Sun 25/08/13 PRD Defensor Sporting 1 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 31/08/13 PRD Rentistas 3 - 2 Peñarol View events More info

Sun 15/09/13 PRD Racing 2 - 3 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 21/09/13 PRD Peñarol 1 - 2 Danubio View events More info

Sat 05/10/13 PRD Wanderers 1 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 19/10/13 PRD Peñarol 0 - 0 El Tanque Sisley More info

Sun 27/10/13 PRD Cerro 1 - 0 Peñarol View events More info

Sun 03/11/13 PRD Peñarol 5 - 0 Miramar Misiones View events More info

Sat 09/11/13 PRD Sud América 2 - 1 Peñarol View events More info

Sun 17/11/13 PRD Peñarol 2 - 1 Fénix View events More info

Sun 24/11/13 PRD Nacional 2 - 3 Peñarol View events More info

Sat 30/11/13 PRD Juventud 0 - 0 Peñarol More info

Sat 07/12/13 PRD Peñarol 2 - 0 Liverpool View events More info

Sat 14/12/13 PRD Cerro Largo 1 - 0 Peñarol View events More info

Mon 13/01/14 CLF Peñarol E 3 - 1 Vélez Sarsfield More info

Tue 21/01/14 CLF Peñarol 0 - 1 Nacional More info

Wed 22/01/14 CLF Peñarol 0 - 1 Olimpia More info

Sun 02/02/14 PRD River Plate 1 - 2 Peñarol View events More info

Fri 07/02/14 PRD Peñarol 21 : 00 Defensor Sporting Odds

Wed 12/02/14 COL Deportivo Anzo… 21 : 45 Peñarol Odds

Thu 13/02/14 PRD Peñarol - Rentistas Odds

Wed 19/02/14 COL Peñarol 00 : 15 Santos Laguna Odds

Thu 20/02/14 PRD Peñarol - Racing Odds

Thu 27/02/14 PRD Danubio - Peñarol Odds

Thu 13/03/14 COL Arsenal 22 : 00 Peñarol Odds

Wed 19/03/14 COL Peñarol 22 : 45 Arsenal Odds

Wed 26/03/14 COL Santos Laguna 02 : 00 Peñarol Odds

Thu 10/04/14 COL Peñarol 22 : 45 Deportivo Anzo…

Tues 21/01 followed by Weds 22nd! Weds 12/02 followed by Thur 13/02. I guess it does happen.

Did a quick search on Penarol, here are their recent fixtures with dates for ALL competitions.

Tues 21/01 followed by Weds 22nd! Weds 12/02 followed by Thur 13/02. I guess it does happen.

Is that real life or FM?

in 2008 i think it was, Rangers had to play something like 5 games in 11 days up here. It can happen.

You are absolutely right.

01 Jan PL Tottenham Hotspur H 17:30 1 - 2

05 Jan FA Cup Swansea City H 16:30 1 - 2

07 Jan Capital One Cup Sunderland A 19:45 1 - 2

I wasn't aware of that, and I stand corrected. I still believe it happens too often in FM though. I can't help but wonder why they didn't have Man U play on the 4th instead of the 5th however.

You won't get me arguing that it shouldn't happen, I just think that by all rights, it's a surprise it doesn't happen more with the complexity of fixture arrangements. Having said that, it's probably one of the more major bugs out there given it's everywhere to varying degrees. Far worse than some of the ME ones in my own opinion, when you're getting the biggest game in your club's recent history completely broken by most of your squad away on international duty.

Real life.

It does make interesting reading. One thing I did notice is that they're games yet to be played, so I imagine they'd be rescheduled. Still, to even have two games listed, a couple of weeks before they're supposed to be played, one day after the other is mental. Can you imagine that happening in the EPL? There'd be lynch mobs!

You won't get me arguing that it shouldn't happen, I just think that by all rights, it's a surprise it doesn't happen more with the complexity of fixture arrangements. Having said that, it's probably one of the more major bugs out there given it's everywhere to varying degrees. Far worse than some of the ME ones in my own opinion, when you're getting the biggest game in your club's recent history completely broken by most of your squad away on international duty.

The players being away is one that is certainly annoying. I really dont see the issue with 2 games in 2 days tho.

It does make interesting reading. One thing I did notice is that they're games yet to be played, so I imagine they'd be rescheduled. Still, to even have two games listed, a couple of weeks before they're supposed to be played, one day after the other is mental. Can you imagine that happening in the EPL? There'd be lynch mobs!

Yeah exactly. I think the South Americans accept it because it's like a religion over there. While we are passionate in this country, the level of passion in say, Brazil, is on another level. It's their life. I guess the ticket prices will be cheap as chips, even for the modest wages the average guy will earn and the lack of other things to do due to the poverty in the country will be a factor in accepting day after day of football.

I read the other day about Corinthians (I think) supporters storming the club to berate the players and coaches for their lack of form! Literally running riot through the clubs facilities. Barmy.

Again your exaggerating. My team is in the CL and im not playing my CL games 2 days after my league game every time.

Am I now?

Please see attached picture:

2agvo13.jpg

19 times during the season the players have only had two days of rest between league and various cup matches. 12 times when it comes to CL matches. 3 times the team have only had one day's rest.

So yeah - more or less every time.

The players being away is one that is certainly annoying. I really dont see the issue with 2 games in 2 days tho.

Depends on the context if it's 2 in 2 days. If there's a genuine pile-up, then ok, fine. But there could be cases where that is an issue. But yeah, I was more meaning the properly inexcusable ones. Like 4 games in 4 days, or the afore-mentioned Copa Extradition.

Am I now?

2agvo13.jpg

19 times during the season the players have only had two days of rest between league and various cup matches. 12 times when it comes to CL matches. 3 times the team have only had one day's rest.

Well you said you were playing 2 days after, your not, your playing 3 days after, which is what happens in real life. 3 times you have played after 2 days from the last game.

Yeah exactly. I think the South Americans accept it because it's like a religion over there. While we are passionate in this country, the level of passion in say, Brazil, is on another level. It's their life. I guess the ticket prices will be cheap as chips, even for the modest wages the average guy will earn and the lack of other things to do due to the poverty in the country will be a factor in accepting day after day of football.

I read the other day about Corinthians (I think) supporters storming the club to berate the players and coaches for their lack of form! Literally running riot through the clubs facilities. Barmy.

They also play a HUGE number of games over there dont they? The real fixture list for Brazilian clubs right now is insane so they can fit in the world cup.

Am I now?

I think milner meant 2 days as in Sunday/Tuesday. I don't see any problems with your fixture list - it's normal for teams to play Sunday/Wednesday, Saturday/Tuesday. The only odd one is the Super Cup, but then there's usually odd scheduling around that in real life.

They also play a HUGE number of games over there dont they? The real fixture list for Brazilian clubs right now is insane so they can fit in the world cup.

I think I counted that for a top team in Brazil (that is playing in the Libertadores, winning it, then the Club World Cup), you would have this breakdown of games.

State Championships: 19 (varies from state to state, this is for Fluminense in the Rio State)

Brazilian Serie A: 38

Brazilian Cup: 12 (I think, I think there's 6 rounds, and obviously this is if you go all the way)

Libertadores: 16 (If you played the preliminary rounds, and went on to win it)

Club World Cup: 2

Total: 87 games.

Absolutely mental.

Well you said you were playing 2 days after, your not, your playing 3 days after, which is what happens in real life. 3 times you have played after 2 days from the last game.

No, I didn't.

The one day only period of rest does not, that's true. The two days only applies more or less right before or after every match in CL.

@Forameuss

I knew it happened often but didn't think every single time. But granted, going over last year's Real Madrid fixture list I must say I'm surprised at the amount of two day only rest periods. Again, I stand corrected. Three periods of one day's rest is still annoying though. Anyway, thanks for clearing up my misconception.

Am I now?

2agvo13.jpg

Seriously, that is what you are complaining about???

All your blue dots are a complete non-issue which leaves three times when you've had to play a match with only one days rest inbetween. Three times in a season I wouldn't even describe as a minor issue as it happens IRL as well.

Seriously, that is what you are complaining about???

All your blue dots are a complete non-issue which leaves three times when you've had to play a match with only one days rest inbetween. Three times in a season I wouldn't even describe as a minor issue as it happens IRL as well.

Seriously, it was. However, I now know that I was wrong about the amount of two days resting periods being unrealisically high. Still, the one day resting periods are, at least to me, not a minor issue. I can't remember the last time Real Madrid have had only one day of rest between matches. England is different because of the two domestic cups - in Spain there's only one. Anyway, I've been corrected and I'm happy about that.

Just to clarify a bit, those two matches in january are from a friendly cup, that's why they play two in a row...

i'm not sure the febraury ones though... official tournament has already started... (the 12/02 match doesn't even apear in their web)

I'm uruguayan, and i don't renember ever seeing a team playing two competitive matches in two days...

My team (in a playable league in FM) once played two games simultaneously. We had to send our reserves to play one of them. Other teams in our league have played in recent years 6 games in 6 days. That's with fixture congestion caused by postponed games, combined with cup runs.

If you have extreme examples of playing deep in to every competition, you get fixture congestion. That is in FM and RL. As already said, FM isn't perfect, but it actually does tremendously well in very difficult circumstances. The idea to hard code "cannot" play 2 games in 3 days would mean that seasons never finished in some leagues or with some combination of cup runs.

Probably the best FM in a while, everything seems to be better and it seems like you have more control and the things you do can be seen on the pitch although still it amazes me that I have short passing, retain possession on and my players decide to just hoof it.

I would like to see more Asian Leagues included from the start, Philippines, Thailand, Japan, Mongolia etc.

Probably the best FM in a while, everything seems to be better and it seems like you have more control and the things you do can be seen on the pitch although still it amazes me that I have short passing, retain possession on and my players decide to just hoof it.

I would like to see more Asian Leagues included from the start, Philippines, Thailand, Japan, Mongolia etc.

You can only pass shorter and retain possession if you have players available to receive the passes, if not and the player on the ball feels under pressure or has orders to play more direct he will hoof it forwards.

TBH any team who wants to keep the ball shouldn't really be using the "shorter passing" shout as this will just restrict the passes available to the player on the ball.

TBH any team who wants to keep the ball shouldn't really be using the "shorter passing" shout as this will just restrict the passes available to the player on the ball.

I have shorter passing as a team instruction and also have it as an individual instruction on every player, and most of the time it works well. However, I've also made sure my formation is compact from front to back (ie high defensive line, deep lying forward/False 9 up top with supporting wingers/wide midfielders), so that there's nearly always a pass available. See the video of my team's goal v PSV on this thread I posted yesterday. Lovely short passing from the goalie all the way up the field. So it can work. I'm managing in Holland though, I don't know if that philiosophy would work in the lower leagues in England, for example.

Guest El Payaso
Terry is/was a great defender, but if you're sliding in, then you've already positioned yourself badly.
Aye. You see loads of those perfect last ditch tackles when a striker is through on goal but then we forget that the defence has made a big mistake there by allowing the striker to get through on goal. A French magazine (I think it was L'Équipe) gave their centre backs a rating of 4 after the World Championships qualifiers game against Finland even though they won that game 3-0. The bad ratings were given because they allowed a Finnish striker to go through on goal just once in the game. I think that a through on goal is almost always a mistake from the defenders and in FM you might well see 5-10 through on goals in one game, awful really.

This leads to one question that I've thinking for a quite long time: in older FMs good defenders made about 1 mistake in every 3-4 games when viewing their stats, after that version they have been making 3-4 mistakes every game looking at the same stats. Are these mistakes counted the same way that they used to be in for example FM 2007? And I would like to get an answer to this question from one of the members of SIGames, because they know how those are calculated... And isn't 3-4 mistakes per game quite much as even one mistake can lead to goal being conceded and games being lost?

I'm mostly pleased with FM14 as it stands but I'm seeing a couple of recurring problems:

1) The "attacking" mentality (or maybe any strategy that plays a high line) seems unrealistically leaky against a team that sits back and counters. I did a friendly tour of Asia where I (Arsenal) should have been vastly outclassing my Korean and Chinese opposition. Playing "attacking" I kept 0 clean sheets on this tour. Even absolutely awful players are able to connect on an awesome long ball a couple of times per match. Not sure if this means low-level creativity/passing/touch needs to be nerfed or if defender awareness needs to be improved.

2) AI transfer behavior is a little iffy. It's common to offer out a good player at base value and get no offers at all. It seems like some rebalancing is needed between player wage demands and what AI managers are willing to pay. This would not only fix the lack of bids issue, but also players like Victor Valdes and Diego going unemployed for long periods of time.

Archived