Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have a suggestion about highlight modes. On comprehensive mode at least every highlight should start at least 10 or 15 seconds before the possession change that leads to the actual highlight sequence. Right now it can be very frustrating to watch highlights because we only see the sequence that ends in a chance/shot/card/whatever. I've often been in a situation where the statistics say my team have most of the ball, yet every highlight starts with the opposition having a throw in in my half and ends with something they do. It gives me zero clue as to what it is that we're doing with the 60% of possession we have and how we're conceding it unless I switch to full. If the highlight starts 10 seconds earlier though I get to see those very important bits as well without further hassle.

I think I have a suggestion about highlight modes. On comprehensive mode at least every highlight should start at least 10 or 15 seconds before the possession change that leads to the actual highlight sequence. Right now it can be very frustrating to watch highlights because we only see the sequence that ends in a chance/shot/card/whatever. I've often been in a situation where the statistics say my team have most of the ball, yet every highlight starts with the opposition having a throw in in my half and ends with something they do. It gives me zero clue as to what it is that we're doing with the 60% of possession we have and how we're conceding it unless I switch to full. If the highlight starts 10 seconds earlier though I get to see those very important bits as well without further hassle.

Maybe they could balance it by not needing to show every single time a player goes down with a knock and the ball being put out of play. I reckon I see that more on comprehensive than I do shots on goal.

Showing knocks happen is fine I suppose, otherwise you could sometimes not realise that someone needs to come off. What we don't need to see is the physio trotting on, standing around for 10 or so seconds, then trotting off again. Similarly we don't need to see players being booked/talked to. Just show the foul and then the commentary line and graphics pop up, skip the actual 'highlight'.

Of course I've made this point about 2345 times over the last 8 years and it's hardly been improved. It's safe to say that it's either very hard to code or they're simply not interested. But I do think the highlights being longer and showing at least two possessions in each sequence on comprehensive would be much better.

FM14 is a major step in the right direction no doubt, but the ME needs to be fixed. Looking forward to the next patch :)

I don't think the ME is that bad. The glitches that remain will be dealt with I'm sure. The main problem for me are the animations. If they were better and more accurate in depicting what was actually happening, I'm sure a lot of complaints would disappear.

I don't think the ME is that bad. The glitches that remain will be dealt with I'm sure. The main problem for me are the animations. If they were better and more accurate in depicting what was actually happening, I'm sure a lot of complaints would disappear.

Yes, the only way I watch 3D now is on elevated view, normally just stick to 2D. It's a shame as close cam looks great a lot of the time, but some of the animations you watch through your fingers.

Had my ups and downs with this year's release. Somewhat I managed to start a long term save and keep up with it. Although I'm not a tactical genius I've had some success in managing a talented Liverpool squad. The ME is not perfect but my players seem to get what I want them to play. Well, most of the times. Now and then I get crushed by a mediocre Leicester squad or struggle against Derby but that's the way it is. After 5 season this is my feed-back:

*Corners need to be sort it out, way to much ping pong goals.

*Striker conversion rate should be improved, highly unrealistic a top striker would miss 3, 4 one-on-ones in a game

*Crossing is in my humble opinion the worst thing in this ME, attack, support, defend, cross more, hit early crosses etc. nothing works, my winger(fullback, wingback, complete wingback, defensive winger, inside forward) could not get a cross to save his life

*The Goalkeeper-Defender passing is prone to idiotic mistakes resulting in bizarre goals/own-goals(this resulted in one of the most outrageous own-goals I've seen in my years of playing FM- Mignolet to Agger, Agger to Mignolet, and then Agger storms a screamer into the corner of the net)

*Morale, could it be a problem of mine and not the game because I have the tendency to criticize them a lot, but boy my team seem to find their feminine side pretty quickly

*The Shot from distance PPM is poorly interpreted by ME, "I'm left footed striker pushed wide in the right by the defender, don't worry, I'll shoot the ball straight with the interior of my left foot, Miles away from target". Oh, and it gets better, I could not un-train this, ever!

*Not enough injuries(could It be just my luck)

*No enough free-kick goals

*Penalty shoot-out gets crazy sometimes(eg. 11-10)

I have two MAIN issues with the release..

1. When players go for internationals and when they are at your club, they have different MORALES .. if you go to any international team list and click the drop-down menu to show "Club selection" or "International selection", you'd see that players have 2 morales.(one for international and one for club). This is unrealistic and needs to be fixed ASAP..

2. When we dominate matches from start to finish and come out WAY on top on ALL stats (key and non-key stats), i can accept to be beaten on some occasions by a stronger side, an equal side or a slightly less weaker side.. but when i go on to lose to a much weaker side irrespective of our dominating play (they have just one shot on Target and score) and then i hit the woodwork a bit and have 5 CCC's.., it's very frustrating. I realize pple have raised this issue though, and i uploaded the pkm's .. so pls SI fix these two issues (especially the 1st one).

ALL in all, i love the game, i'm doing great.., and um looking forward to some sorta reply from you folks..

1. When players go for internationals and when they are at your club' date=' they have different MORALES .. if you go to any international team list and click the drop-down menu to show "Club selection" or "International selection", you'd see that players have 2 morales.(one for international and one for club). This is unrealistic and needs to be fixed ASAP..

[/quote']

In what way is that unrealistic? It's two different squads with different expectations/results. It's quite conceivable to be happy at your club and deeply unhappy at international level. The French national squad is a good illustration of this. As was the Scotland squad under Levein.

In what way is that unrealistic? It's two different squads with different expectations/results. It's quite conceivable to be happy at your club and deeply unhappy at international level. The French national squad is a good illustration of this. As was the Scotland squad under Levein.

it's just that it's supposed to be the same player.. and although it's as though you'd be getting "free morale" for wins that you didn't get ( if i were the club manager, for instance), it's just realistic that a player has ONLY one morale.. but maybe for the purposes of the game, afterall it's a game, the 2 morales will do.. But you know, most of the time, after playing the game for years, you start to feel like it's real...

I think it's a great touch having separate morale for club and country.

Reminds me of Roy Keane's book, where he talked about how unprofessional he felt the Irish set up was under Jack Charlton, compared to what he was used to at United. Hence he would have a completely different mindset when playing for his country.

it's just that it's supposed to be the same player.. and although it's as though you'd be getting "free morale" for wins that you didn't get ( if i were the club manager' date=' for instance), it's just realistic that a player has ONLY one morale.. but maybe for the purposes of the game, afterall it's a game, the 2 morales will do.. But you know, most of the time, after playing the game for years, you start to feel like it's real...[/quote']

This is a very strange idea. Having played internationally, let me assure you that you have a completely different morale playing for either, they are so different it is untrue, and you don't even think of your club once when on international duty.

When at your club, your morale is affected by the league performance, personal performance, how regularly you are playing, and you personal relationships with staff and teammates. When playing internationally, it is pretty much all the same things, but with a different tournament, different pecking order, different relationships with different staff/teammates.

I am actually unsure how it could possibly be the same?

Had my ups and downs with this year's release. Somewhat I managed to start a long term save and keep up with it. Although I'm not a tactical genius I've had some success in managing a talented Liverpool squad. The ME is not perfect but my players seem to get what I want them to play. Well, most of the times. Now and then I get crushed by a mediocre Leicester squad or struggle against Derby but that's the way it is. After 5 season this is my feed-back:

*Corners need to be sort it out, way to much ping pong goals.

*Striker conversion rate should be improved, highly unrealistic a top striker would miss 3, 4 one-on-ones in a game

*Crossing is in my humble opinion the worst thing in this ME, attack, support, defend, cross more, hit early crosses etc. nothing works, my winger(fullback, wingback, complete wingback, defensive winger, inside forward) could not get a cross to save his life

*The Goalkeeper-Defender passing is prone to idiotic mistakes resulting in bizarre goals/own-goals(this resulted in one of the most outrageous own-goals I've seen in my years of playing FM- Mignolet to Agger, Agger to Mignolet, and then Agger storms a screamer into the corner of the net)

*Morale, could it be a problem of mine and not the game because I have the tendency to criticize them a lot, but boy my team seem to find their feminine side pretty quickly

*The Shot from distance PPM is poorly interpreted by ME, "I'm left footed striker pushed wide in the right by the defender, don't worry, I'll shoot the ball straight with the interior of my left foot, Miles away from target". Oh, and it gets better, I could not un-train this, ever!

*Not enough injuries(could It be just my luck)

*No enough free-kick goals

*Penalty shoot-out gets crazy sometimes(eg. 11-10)

I had ALL these issues and realised them all after about a season. Have uninstalled the game and wont be playing until the final patch is released

What is quite annoying, and it has been in previous incarnations as well, is the difference at times in some players ability to play as a LM or RM as well as a AML or AMR. Perfect example for me is Joe Cole. Accomplished at AMR or AMR but inefficient at LM or RM and yet IRL for years he played as a LM. Surely a matter of feet on a tactics screen shouldn't make much difference>?

I have just switched to a 4411 from a 4231 and there are far fewer players on the player search for a LM or an RM. In my team the likes of Jarvis or Downing should be just as capable of playing in a midfield four rather than as out and out attacking wide midfielders. Ok I understand that tracking back mentality can be very different for wide men but that is covered in a players stats not position on the field.

What is quite annoying, and it has been in previous incarnations as well, is the difference at times in some players ability to play as a LM or RM as well as a AML or AMR. Perfect example for me is Joe Cole. Accomplished at AMR or AMR but inefficient at LM or RM and yet IRL for years he played as a LM. Surely a matter of feet on a tactics screen shouldn't make much difference>?

I have just switched to a 4411 from a 4231 and there are far fewer players on the player search for a LM or an RM. In my team the likes of Jarvis or Downing should be just as capable of playing in a midfield four rather than as out and out attacking wide midfielders. Ok I understand that tracking back mentality can be very different for wide men but that is covered in a players stats not position on the field.

You can play him at either without much drop off in performance though, especially given many of the roles for one apply to the other. Just because he doesn't have the rating at the position, doesn't mean you can't play him effectively there. Which is arguably what happened in real life with him.

I had ALL these issues and realised them all after about a season. Have uninstalled the game and wont be playing until the final patch is released

its the least enjoyable game in the series for me. waiting for patch.

But if you can play him effectively in a position, by definition doesn't that make him at least "competent" there?

Not at all.

Being competent/accomplished/natural is not how good he is at playing there but how used he is to playing there.

I managed to get a save going and i'm now in my 3rd season, but on the verge of quitting yet again.

What is killing this game for me are the goals being scored :thdn:

For instance, in my new season I have conceded 4 goals in 4 games(1 in each) like so.......

Goal 1 o.g.

Goal 2 o.g.

Goal 3 Freak Goal

Goal 4 Free kick

I cannot remember the last time I conceded a "normal" goal?

Edit - Half time in a game playing now, it's 1-1 and guess how we conceded? yep another o.g. :herman:

I managed to get a save going and i'm now in my 3rd season, but on the verge of quitting yet again.

For instance, in my new season I have conceded 4 goals in 4 games(1 in each) like so.......

Goal 1 o.g.

Goal 2 o.g.

Goal 3 Freak Goal

Goal 4 Free kick

Edit - Half time in a game playing now, it's 1-1 and guess how we conceded? yep another o.g. :herman:

How are you scoring your goals?

Goal 1 o.g.

Goal 2 o.g.

Goal 3 Freak Goal

Goal 4 Free kick

I probably should have mentioned WHY it was so frustrating, if I had won these games where these goals were conceded I would have less of a problem, but each goal cost us points so conceding goals in the manner we did was a massive kick in the teeth.

I lost my first 3 away games 1-0 and in two of these games we were by far the better side and the other very much 50/50 but missed glorious chances in each game, so to go down to such cheap goals you can surely understand why the option to quit is so tempting.

How are you scoring your goals?

About 50% of the goals I score are "normal" goals, the rest are made up of the kinds of goals i'm conceding. Sadly 95% + of the goals I concede are of the kind I've mentioned.

If we conceded more "normal" goals I would not be complaining.

How is it linked? One is a Team Instruction, one is a Player Instruction.

PI overrides TI, so in essence, they aren't linked at all.

Really ???? Well, I'm looking at the TI instructions right now and I have Stick to Positions / Move from Positions TI's and also More Expressive / More Disciplined TI's. If I choose Move from Positions, the TI More Disciplined automaticaly shows unavailable. So, how are they not linked ???? They are and it's nonsense. Why is it nonsense ? Because instructing players to roam more has nothing to do with creative freedom, a team can be very disciplined with lots of movement, so I realy don't see the point of linking these instructions.

I think you're noticing these types of goals more because of this forum. Interestingly, that's five games in a row you went without conceding from a corner, something you probably never realised. Unless of course the og's were from corners. I'd have expected you to mention that though.

EDIT - That was a response to jimbob.

Really ???? Well, I'm looking at the TI instructions right now ans I have Stick to Positions / Move from Positions TI's and also More Expressive / More Disciplined TI's. If I choose Move from Positions, the TI More Disciplined automaticaly shows unavailable. So, how are they not linked ???? They are and it's nonsense. Why is it nonsense ? Because instructing players to roam more has nothing to do with creative freedom, a team can be very disciplined with lots of movement, so I realy don't see the point of linking these instructions.

You're not understanding what he's saying. He's talking about team instructions not being linked to player instructions. Which they're not.

Then I think he's not understanding. What's the PI has to do with that I'm talking ??? I didn't mentioned PI's.

Sigh....

Yes, I was incorrect and settings for for Stick / Roam and More / Less Expressive are both Team Instructions.

However, these can be overridden by PIs which offset those tendencies.

I know you have a propensity to seek failings where they don't exist, but on this occasion I think you are wide of the mark.

Sigh....

Yes, I was incorrect and settings for for Stick / Roam and More / Less Expressive are both Team Instructions.

However, these can be overridden by PIs which offset those tendencies.

I know you have a propensity to seek failings where they don't exist, but on this occasion I think you are wide of the mark.

You guys need to decide yourselves. One says PI's override TI's, another says they aren't linked and all this when no one talked about PIs.

But they do sir, they do exist, you might want to check the bugs forum and you will find a lot to choose... failings of course. And the the same intensity in possession and when not having the ball is another one.

You guys need to decide yourselves. One says PI's override TI's, another says they aren't linked and all this when no one talked about PIs.

But they do sir, they do exist, you might want to check the bugs forum and you will find a lot to choose... failings of course. And the the same intensity in possession and when not having the ball is another one.

Stop looking for conflict where there isn't any.

I admitted making a mistake in assuming that Roam / Stick were PIs and Expressive / Disciplined were TIs.

However, you failed to acknowledge that the "link" you see between the two can be broken by the Player Instructions.

Convenient.

Stop looking for conflict where there isn't any.

I admitted making a mistake in assuming that Roam / Stick were PIs and Expressive / Disciplined were TIs.

However, you failed to acknowledge that the "link" you see between the two can be broken by the Player Instructions.

Convenient.

No I didn't fail to acknowledge. That's your problem, you always starting putting words in people's mouth (or hands, in this case) and then you say that others look for conflict. What a joke!!! Even if PI can correct the TI I don't agree that the TIs should be linked. Now tell me, since when not agreeing with something is looking for a conflict ? Or are we obliged to agree with everything ?

If someone failed to acknowledge with anything it was you about the TI intensity.

Just to carry on from before about the kind of goals i'm conceding, I've just played Dortmund at Home in the CL having drawn away. At half time we lead 1-0 in a 50/50 encounter before yet again disaster strikes.

First of all from an attacking Dortmund corner my defender receives the ball under no pressure with nobody near him but one of his own players who he then hits the ball off and it lands right at the feet of a Dortmund player for a tap in. But that's not enough, within 5 minutes my dc hits a pass back to my gk who just lets it run into the back of the net.

This has probably cost me qualification and again has me questioning carrying on my save.

Just to carry on from before about the kind of goals i'm conceding, I've just played Dortmund at Home in the CL having drawn away. At half time we lead 1-0 in a 50/50 encounter before yet again disaster strikes.

First of all from an attacking Dortmund corner my defender receives the ball under no pressure with nobody near him but one of his own players who he then hits the ball off and it lands right at the feet of a Dortmund player for a tap in. But that's not enough, within 5 minutes my dc hits a pass back to my gk who just lets it run into the back of the net.

This has probably cost me qualification and again has me questioning carrying on my save.

Half time away to Norwich in a game which we have dominated, they are winning 2-1 after having only a single shot at goal(a dodgy penalty) so yes another o.g. and easy efforts been missed by my team, sums this game up really.

Define what you mean by intensity please. I read your quote up the page but isn't very specific.

Do you mean "intensity" as in pressing, tempo, do you mean something completely different?

My bad, the instruction is translated as intensity but the original is tempo and then I tend to use the translated word. What I've been reading around here is that Tempo relates to with and without the ball, so a higher tempo will affect how the players also hassle opponents. If this is correct, then its nonsense because teams set different tempos when in possession and when loosing the ball. A team can apply a higher tempo to recover the ball and then set a lower one with the ball; or a team can drop deep and set a lower tempo and when recovering the ball, increases tempo.

Half time away to Norwich in a game which we have dominated, they are winning 2-1 after having only a single shot at goal(a dodgy penalty) so yes another o.g. and easy efforts been missed by my team, sums this game up really.

Put it off then and go play something else. Seriously, you've done nothing but moan and whinge at the thing for weeks. Why on earth are you still playing something you clearly hate? Makes no sense to me.

Venting about isolated incidents that go against your team (never seen you moan about things going your way) is just pointless. If you think it's bugged, upload your save and let them have a look at it. Or just go and play FIFA or something.

No offence.

Another thing that IMO needs to be improved is the benefit of pre season. My first two friendlies I lost without scoring a goal. Made a few tweaks then won and drew the next few scoring plenty and playing some lovely stuff therefore being happy with my tactics. First game of the season I am two down at home to Liverpool after ten minutes. Lose 2-0 through a free kick and penalty, have two sent off and don't even have a shot on goal and play terribly!! Leaving pre season as pretty much a waste of time! It should be the perfect opportunity to get your players settled and used to tactics and formations.

Plus is this sending off really a "professional foul"? I didn't even see it at first as I use the TV camera. Never see this in FM...... Can you spot it???

http://youtu.be/gAMU-1wpdrs

Another thing that IMO needs to be improved is the benefit of pre season. My first two friendlies I lost without scoring a goal. Made a few tweaks then won and drew the next few scoring plenty and playing some lovely stuff therefore being happy with my tactics. First game of the season I am two down at home to Liverpool after ten minutes. Lose 2-0 through a free kick and penalty, have two sent off and don't even have a shot on goal and play terribly!!

Just because you have a great pre-season doesn't mean your team will be automatically great when the season starts. Sunderland this season are a prime example of this. I also remember my own team beating Dunfermline 6-2 in a pre-season friendly. They were two leagues above as at the time. Played superbly, really looked like we were going to have a great season. We eventually got relegated to Scotland's basement league after a truly woeful campaign where we got off to a horrendous start and never recovered.

Archived