Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because people who have worked with the match engine for years (note: worked, not played) say so. Plenty of us have been involved enough to know it's true.

Look i'm not trying to cause offence here, i'm only going on about this because I still have hope that I can start enjoying the game again, but I have another question...

............these people that have worked with the ME for years, who do they work for?

Look i'm not trying to cause offence here, i'm only going on about this because I still have hope that I can start enjoying the game again, but I have another question...

............these people that have worked with the ME for years, who do they work for?

Do you actually think there is a huge conspiracy about this?!

Right, that's it. Please stop spamming your nonsense. It's not wanted. I've had enough of you derailing this thread into the same pointless circular argument.

I accept that you will never learn anything as you refuse to believe in anything you're told. You're so convinced that the game is cheating you that nothing anyone else can do will ever prove otherwise.

This thread is for feedback about the game and patches. If you want to spout your conspiracy nonsense please set up your own forum to do it on. From now on, any of this kind of thing I see from you is just getting deleted.

Right, that's it. Please stop spamming your nonsense. It's not wanted. I've had enough of you derailing this thread into the same pointless circular argument.

I accept that you will never learn anything as you refuse to believe in anything you're told. You're so convinced that the game is cheating you that nothing anyone else can do will ever prove otherwise.

This thread is for feedback about the game and patches. If you want to spout your conspiracy nonsense please set up your own forum to do it on. From now on, any of this kind of thing I see from you is just getting deleted.

Fair enough, but I just don't know what the big issue is by debating the subject?

(That's my final word on the matter)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all of those have been brought up in the bugs forum already :thup:

Since all of those bugs have already been brought up, we expect solution, don't we? These are known bugs for quite a long time.

Again, it is our right to complain, since we paid for the game that doesn't give us satisfaction in return.

Since all of those bugs have already been brought up, we expect solution, don't we? These are known bugs for quite a long time.

Again, it is our right to complain, since we paid for the game that doesn't give us satisfaction in return.

You will get a solution, its coming in the next planned update :)

Guys,

Is there an issue with Germany leagues and players wanting to go to them?

Quite literally about to take a job there.

I wouldn't mind knowing this, got a journey man save up and running and if there's a problem I'll turn off the German Leagues.

Yes there was/is an issue with the German clubs not being able to attract players.

I'm not sure if it was fixed in the last patch or if its still an ongoing issue.

There isn't a finite amount of time each bug takes to fix. If it's fixed and tested to a sufficient degree, it'll be released. If not, it won't. You can complain all you like, as long as it doesn't turn into entitlement. That'll get you nowhere.

Just thought i'd pop in and explain a couple of things.

1. I don't want/expect to win all the time, I would find no fun in that whatsoever and would be on here moaning about that instead.

2. The game would be better if it was more difficult, because eventually somebody is going to come across something that works better than something else in the ME, that is not the fault of the player it is a fault of the ME because so much still does not work how it is supposed to work, so people test and test till they can find something that actually works and by that I don't mean a cheat, I mean an allowed instruction in the tactical set up of the game that actually does what you want.

3. Yes I overachieve and yes that can be unrealistic, but that is nowhere near as bad as getting to a point where the ME has to make me concede the most ridiculous of goals just so that I can lose games, or appear to do that anyway and I know people keep saying the same thing over and over "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager" yet having played as much as I have for as long as I have, I have never been in a position where I can agree with that statement even one little bit.

I generally start every FM(or patch) unable to get results or at least anything recognisable as consistent results, which is fair enough. I start test game after test game trying to find out what works/how/why/when. If this is unsuccessful I will look around the tactics forums for a d/loadable tactic(s) which I will also test. If I need to I will make some slight adjustments as I go to perfect it as much as possible. Pretty soon I will start to overachieve and then all the realistic matches I had been getting whilst learning disappear and all I start seeing is the kind of matches that I mention on here, like suddenly conceding loads of own goals in situations where the opposition have not even had a shot on target, or my keeper making a save then dropping the ball at his own feet and refusing to pick it up and instead allowing the opposing striker in for yet another cheap goal.

If the game didn't do this so often and so blatantly I would not be on here complaining and I would believe it when I hear the statement "the game does not know the difference between the AI and a human Manager". Until then I will continue to question the games integrity, be honest who wouldn't?

Just wanted to explain this ban. He is an alias of a user who has not just been previously banned from our forum on a number of occasions, but has also been banned from pretty much every FM fansite around for repeatedly posting like this about every version of FM since FM06.

We apologise for not picking up on this sooner and allowing his trolling to disrail the thread so badly.

The time wasting instruction should have been kept (for all strategies). Previously this was easy to achieve "guys, be patient, keep passing the ball, but remember there's an urgency to get to the goal". Now it seems its not possible: possession instructions automaticaly reduce the urgency which is easly seen looking at players holding the ball too much leading to loosing possession or long shots... disappointing :-(

The time wasting instruction should have been kept (for all strategies). Previously this was easy to achieve "guys, be patient, keep passing the ball, but remember there's an urgency to get to the goal". Now it seems its not possible: possession instructions automaticaly reduce the urgency which is easly seen looking at players holding the ball too much leading to loosing possession or long shots... disappointing :-(

Short passing, and increase the tempo.

Just wanted to explain this ban. He is an alias of a user who has not just been previously banned from our forum on a number of occasions, but has also been banned from pretty much every FM fansite around for repeatedly posting like this about every version of FM since FM06.

We apologise for not picking up on this sooner and allowing his trolling to disrail the thread so badly.

Good ol' Garry?

At the point you have saved certain things have already been set in stone such as your post match team talk from your previous game, anything that has happened between the matches, probably a press conference as well so on each "attempt" is starting from a point where you probably have a low % chance of winning that match.

Well.... if press conferences and post match teamtalk are important for your chances next game, this game has truly gone off the rails. If it does any bigger than maybe slightly alter players morale, it really is a joke

Gotta applaud his persistence. :lol:

I resumed playing after the latest patches and I think FM14 is on track and is potentially a very good product. one thing that I keep noticing, strange, is the usual cross from the trequarti by the Wing that rebounded off the crossbar! happen very often, you notice it too? is something that the ME carries from FM13.

Which is what increasing/decreasing the tempo does.

it does but it covers also other aspects while a remaining TW instruction would have to do strickly with urgency / time with the ball. For instance, previously Retain Possession would automaticaly increase TW, if I add Tempo I will have players playing with high intensity (tempo) but still with no urgency to get to the goal. I'm always stick to a high no urgency due to the Retain Possession instruction.

Tempo is only on the ball. It's about how quickly the ball gets moved.

see that's I what talked about. You guys need to decide yourserlves. You say Tempo in only on the ball, other say it's with and without the ball :-)

but I know the part of how quickly the ball gets moved, the problem is not with that is about the hard-coded TW when using Retain Possession.

see that's I what talked about. You guys need to decide yourserlves. You say Tempo in only on the ball, other say it's with and without the ball :-)

but I know the part of how quickly the ball gets moved, the problem is not with that is about the hard-coded TW when using Retain Possession.

You cant control the tempo if you don't have the ball :) (Well you can attempt to influence it off the ball, but that is an entirely different set of instruction, based around defending)

Which hard cored TW ( are you still thinking in terms of FM previous)? Because you can utilise retain possession with all levels of tempo

it does but it covers also other aspects while a remaining TW instruction would have to do strickly with urgency / time with the ball. For instance, previously Retain Possession would automaticaly increase TW, if I add Tempo I will have players playing with high intensity (tempo) but still with no urgency to get to the goal. I'm always stick to a high no urgency due to the Retain Possession instruction.

No, "retain possession" would lower tempo. Time wasting was entirelly fixed to the strategies (the more the more defensive you went, and vice versa). There's a huge thread in the tactics sub forums that has a lot of interesting debate on the time wasting instruction of yore, and interesting and complex theories by very prominent posters. However, it has never beeen about anything else than wasting time, as the official manual has always had it, and using it as an "attacking urgency" instruction would be misguided (players will only ever waste time when they're not pushed, that is more likely in your team's areas.)

I had enquired about this, as the translators of the German (fan) translation had picked up on that thread and completely run away with this interpretation, replacing a "time wasting" instruction altogether and writing guides that adviced players to turn the instruction now called "time spent on the ball" all the way down on tough away days (the logics being that players would likely get more aggressively closed down and should get rid of the ball). In home matches, it was adviced, to push it all up to encourage build up play. The guides actually went one steop further, arguing that contrary to its original English name it wouldn't have anything to do with time wasting altogether (players taking ages over set pieces, taking the ball to the corner, etc.) As the effects of the instruction were subtle enough to not make and break the game (and you're instructing into a dynamic framework, dealing with "humans", not robots who obey the slider master, with the example of specific marking, perhaps) not much harm was done, but it was misleading nonetheless. But still that advice was misguided, as the purpose is gradually to frustrate an opponent, no more, no less. Time wasting. It's what it says on the tin.

The purpose of the slider is to make the players waste time - be that slowing play down, taking ages to collect the ball at a throw, taking it to the corner etc.

There is an ME event related to time wasting that occasionally causes players to dwell on the ball. In the events.cfg in the data folder you'll find all the text commentaries linked to the match play. There it roughly says: "Players xy holds the ball to waste time". Very likely the one that caused the confusion, and the many interesting theories. In other words: What themadsheep2001 said. :-)

No, "retain possession" would lower tempo. Time wasting was entirelly fixed to the strategies (the more the more defensive you went, and vice versa). There's a huge thread in the tactics sub forums that has a lot of interesting debate on the time wasting instruction of yore, and interesting and complex theories by very prominent posters. However, it has never beeen about anything else than wasting time, as the official manual has always had it, and using it as an "attacking urgency" instruction would be misguided (players will only ever waste time when they're not pushed, that is more likely in your team's areas.)

I had enquired about this, as the translators of the German (fan) translation had picked up on that thread and completely run away with this interpretation, replacing a "time wasting" instruction altogether and writing guides that adviced players to turn the instruction now called "time spent on the ball" all the way down on tough away days (the logics being that players would likely get more aggressively closed down and should get rid of the ball). As the effects are rather subtle (and you're dealing with "humans", not robots who obey, with the example of specific marking, perhaps, not much harm was done, but it was misleading nonetheless.) But still that advice was misguided, as the purpose is gradually to frustrate an opponent, no more, no less. Time wasting. It's what it says on the tin.

There is an ME event that occasionally causes players to dwell on the ball. In the events.cfg in the data folder you'll find all the text commentaries linked to the match play. There it roughly says: "Players xy holds the ball to waste time". In other words: What themadsheep2001 said. :-)

Yes I know, I've read it and time wasting and wasting time are completly different things, that's why I think it was an important instruction to be kept to all strategies and not just Contention / Defend.

Yes I know, I've read it and time wasting and wasting time are completly different things, that's why I think it was an important instruction to be kept to all strategies and not just Contention / Defend.

It makes perfect sense though to have such an instruction only for the defensive mentalities. Why would you waste time and encourage to frustrate when you're going for strategies that are increasingly meant to penetrate the opponent's area?

It has never been about atacking urgency. What you're looking for it adjusting your tempo accordingly, as themadsheep2001 said.

You cant control the tempo if you don't have the ball :) (Well you can attempt to influence it off the ball, but that is an entirely different set of instruction, based around defending)

Which hard cored TW ( are you still thinking in terms of FM previous)? Because you can utilise retain possession with all levels of tempo

When say hard coded I mean that the players automaticaly behave according to the instructions: with Retain Possesion they will hold a lot more the ball, without the RP they won't hold it. If they hold it more or less, doesn't this mean that the TW instruction still has an influence although we aren't able to see the instruction (because TW is only visible with Contention / Defend strategies) ???? If players hold more the ball, surely there is a (hidden) higher TW... well, I would need them to not hold the ball on their feet, but keep passing with no risk (no pass into space).

If tempo does indeed relates only with the ball, then that's correct: you don't have it, you don't control it. But that's why it would be nice to have that Tempo without the ball instruction that would apply to Hassle Opponents. hassle more / hassle less it's a kind of short in terms of range of options... I guess I'm wanting more instructions :)

It makes perfect sense though to have such an instruction only for the defensive mentalities. Why would you waste time and encourage to frustrate when you're going for strategies that are increasingly meant to penetrate the opponent's area?

It has never been about atacking urgency. What you're looking for it adjusting your tempo accordingly, as themadsheep2001 said.

That's the point: I don't want them to waste it, I want them to be patient as most possible without holding the ball on their feet.

When say hard coded I mean that the players automaticaly behave according to the instructions: with Retain Possesion they will hold a lot more the ball, without the RP they won't hold it. If they hold it more or less, doesn't this mean that the TW instruction still has an influence although we aren't able to see the instruction (because TW is only visible with Contention / Defend strategies) ???? If players hold more the ball, surely there is a (hidden) higher TW...

Retain possession increased the likelyhood for shorter passes and decreased tempo. Forget about the community theories you read. They may have been interesting and well worded, but they were often massively massively over complicating (and lead to misguided fan translations). :-P

Retain possession increased the likelyhood for shorter passes and decreased tempo. Forget about the community theories you read. They may have been interesting and well worded, but they were often massively massively over complicating (and lead to misguided fan translations). :-P

Indeed and given that you can now increase the urgency while focusing on retaining possession, petergoddard you get more of what you want along those lines

. hassle more / hassle less it's a kind of short in terms of range of options... I guess I'm wanting more instructions

Agreed, I think we could more with more options in terms of team defensive closing down.

I'm guessing you want to play a possession game that is based on quick short snappy passes?

Indeed and given that you can now increase the urgency while focusing on retaining possession, petergoddard you get more of what you want along those lines

Maybe with "urgency" he also meant attacking intent? For that there's also a change in mentalities/strategies. It is often argued that some of their name tags may be misleading, but in that sense I find them pretty much spot on. "Attacking" will result in more forward balls and, well "attacking play" (the style of which can be tweaked), lesser ones not so much. And from there on you can tweak the tempo, that is the general speed of play each too. Not sure why anyone would want to encourage more time wasting when they opted to "attack" and force things into the opponent's half and third. It didn't break the system previously, for sure (little did). F'r instance, another time wasting event that may or may be not in the game (should check the events.cfg and the commentary lines) talked about was that players would be increasingly provoke set piece situations by being more eager to go down. Would make sense as it's also a means to wind the clock down and stop play. I think SFraser claimed to have noticed such and tried to utilize it to his advantage during attacking play.

But it's still a bit contradicting to do such, as in either case, the instruction certainly never was about any so such thing in isolation, and never meant as a means to provoke such benefit whilst attacking. See Paul Collyer's statement. The thing used to be called "time wasting", after all, not "referee fooling" or whatever. :D

Agreed, I think we could more with more options in terms of team defensive closing down.

I'm guessing you want to play a possession game that is based on quick short snappy passes?

guessing right :-) not so quick by my defenders and midfielders but forwards must have the ability to increase speed of passing and movement without the ball

Those are pretty crazy - could you post about this in the bugs forum, please?

Which patch version are you using?

Sorry but this is becoming embarrasing. Now there was a 5-5 and 6-4 in the same matchday. What are the odds of that happening in real football? 1 in 1 milion ?

What can i do to fix this?

Is there a fix for the really, really annoying tactics screen issue?

(The one where each time I go to the tactics screen the game has listed my players alphabetically, rather than 'picked', as I've selected?)

Have you tried clearing the game's cache?

Sorry but this is becoming embarrasing. Now there was a 5-5 and 6-4 in the same matchday. What are the odds of that happening in real football? 1 in 1 milion ?

What can i do to fix this?

Have you posted about it in the bugs forum?

Corners. Aaron Lennon has scored 3 in 2 seasons for my spurs side. Not quite right? I dont do any corner instructions so dont think im exploiting anything. Everytime he does it the match report says what a complete fluke. Maybe he will get "scores flukes from corners" player trait! Any one else had this.

Corners. Aaron Lennon has scored 3 in 2 seasons for my spurs side. Not quite right? I dont do any corner instructions so dont think im exploiting anything. Everytime he does it the match report says what a complete fluke. Maybe he will get "scores flukes from corners" player trait! Any one else had this.

Must have been some great tactics of yours :D :D

Archived