Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is a simple high pass over the top so overpowered on this game? Defenders seem completely unable to react to it, even when the ball is hit towards them.

Edit: Player reactions to the ball seem rather poor in general. Haven't really managed premier league clubs, but around League 1 level players don't seem to actually know how to react to the ball - wrong players going for the ball, several players going for the same ball, players just standing there staring at a pass played straight at them etc.

Ugh, that scares me. Last time something like this was announced we ended up with the Super Dribblers in FM13 :herman: Hopefully not this time :)

Thank you for the update, btw.

I like that part, instead. I read this post: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380844-Reviewed-A-few-concerns-regarding-top-goalscorers and I found it pretty interesting.

Also, I've always thought that top class midfielders (defensive and central midfielders) do not seem to be a real factor, at least if you only look at their ratings. You feel it's better to have them play with your team than against your team, but you don't really see why...

OT, I think highlights would be more fun if, instead of the nth corner or the nth long range shot, they showed you some more dribbling, a key tackle, a perfectly timed defensive movement, a back heel volley, a killer ball... Not only goals or goal attempts, but all those things that make the crowd go wild.

Fingers crossed for a large logo being added in the corner of the screen :brock:

Ha! You know it fooled you really....:p You'll reveal it in your memoirs in 40 years. 'Being an SI Mod. The truth, lies and fishy business'

Christ, give it that weird, terrible title and you're sales figures will be along the lines of 'Bouncing Back' by Alan Partridge.

Ha! You know it fooled you really....:p You'll reveal it in your memoirs in 40 years. 'Being an SI Mod. The truth, lies and fishy business'

Christ, give it that weird, terrible title and you're sales figures will be along the lines of 'Bouncing Back' by Alan Partridge.

'Pushing water up a hill' would be more appropriate!

Every couple weeks over the last few years people have claimed there was another injury bug. I've never sided with them before but I guess its my turn now.

Ydfhr6c.jpg

After that I was unable to undo a sub when I dropped Aquilani on the wrong player so I had to play on with 10 people.

First touch; will it be situation-based (velocity of the ball and speed/direction of player movement) in this cycle? I feel like the First Touch attribute, among others, should be made more "sensitive" so that an increase or decrease in it becomes visible in the 3d ME.

First touch needs serious improvement.

Id like to remind everyone that this isn't a thread for reporting bugs, we have an entire forum for that and posting bugs in there will be of far more use as itll be dealt with by SIs internal bugs team.

The offside trap doesn't work properly. This may simply be a problem with poor defending in the match engine but even with top-class defenders with good pace/acc and positioning, long or direct passes in behind are not defended properly. The player breaking the offside trap does so regardless of pace and the defenders don't react quickly enough or are running in the opposite direction rather than stepping up. Overall defending is still very poor too, players are too easily attracted to the ball while leaving other attackers unmarked for a simple through ball. Corners and free-kicks are worse than I've seen for a long time. Corners frequently go straight out of play or are scored directly. Free-kicks are attempted on goal from 40 yards rather than a cross into the box.

Quick update.

Firstly as ever thanks to all those who have provided constructive criticism, as this is invaluable to us and appreciated.

There will be another ME update, probably with 14.3 when the data is updated. So far we have worked on the following:

- Goalie errors. We have identified a few that lingered around and will hope to get any remaining ones zapped for this cycle.

- Headed clearances. We identified issues with trajectory and direction and the fixes are now in test. Affects no of goals just after corners and also own goal count.

- Corners. We are still working on this. Main issue now is there are slightly too many of them at top levels.

- Ball physics. No changes planned for this cycle. There are definitely further improvements to be made but we believe it's in a decent state overall for the time being.

- General. We want to improve the individual play of the very best players slightly and this is a work in progress right now.

There are other bits and pieces too of course.

Cheers,

Paul

I don't know whether im happy or sad after reading this

The offside trap doesn't work properly. This may simply be a problem with poor defending in the match engine but even with top-class defenders with good pace/acc and positioning, long or direct passes in behind are not defended properly. The player breaking the offside trap does so regardless of pace and the defenders don't react quickly enough or are running in the opposite direction rather than stepping up.

Are you watching full games? Instances when players ARE caught offside will generally not be shown in any of the lesser highlights packages. I'm not sure if there's an offside stat in the analysis at the end, it's not something I've ever thought about.

Are you watching full games? Instances when players ARE caught offside will generally not be shown in any of the lesser highlights packages. I'm not sure if there's an offside stat in the analysis at the end, it's not something I've ever thought about.

I've looked at the stats and watched some full games and the offside trap fails about 50% of the time. It's why counter-attacking is currently very effective against dominant teams. The defenders simply don't react to too many long balls in behind. They don't miss the interception or step-up, they just don't react until the player is 10 yards behind them. Sometimes the two defenders move towards the player in possession together and leave the second striker free for a simple through ball. Turning off the offside trap actually increased the number of offsides too.

Because it implies that because there's no competition, SI don't put much effort into their next version of FM or update/patch. That's very far from the truth.

I don't read it that way, I read it that SI are not playing safe enough with recent developments hence the radical and ultimately problematic FM13 & 14, then follows a period of several months firefighting to improve the game. I find it hard to see why anyone would have an issue with that view as it is patently plausible. I cannot recall seeing anyone reasonable accusing SI of not caring, although I have seen several defences of them against that charge by FM Grandees. However, pressures to hit release deadlines have been cited by many as a reason for some problems and I am yet to see an Official denial of that which is convincing.

After walking a tightrope for months on end in my first season with Pompey (where I was expected to win the league (I was rock bottom after 10 games)) I managed to salvage the season somewhat and get to the playoffs. Naturally the board are still disappointed with me, yet they've offered me a new contract and were delighted when I accepted it. I've not even played the playoff final yet and I'm being offered a new deal. Even if we go up I'll still have let them down pretty badly.
I've raised the incorrect expectation of promotion for season 1 as an issue, its really down to the size of the club and its standing. Anyway had you been managing from the start instead of Guy and go to the play-offs then the club would be happy. In this instance I think its down to an understanding Chairman. For example, do you think in real life Moyes will be sacked if he doesn't finish top 4?

I started with Pompey and:

Season 1 - Won league 2 (I also started very poorly and just gradually moved up

Season 2 - Finished 12th League 1

Season 3 - Promoted in 2nd position League 1

Season 4 - Currently just below midway Championship. I was 2nd from bottom at one point losing 6 games in a row

Good luck with the play-offs :D

Funny you mention that. I'm a United supporter and have been reading such a discussion elsewhere and no, I don't think he'll go but many do and want him to.

Anyway, I did get them promoted but to follow on from this came another issue. Those players saying the club was under-achieving (to which I promised them it'd be alright) are now handing transfer requests in. They said these things around the play-off campaign, so we were sort of in limbo at the time and it's like the game didn't know what to do with them. That's really annoying as I kept my promise and got us up. Now we're doing alright in L1 and they still want to go. I'm starting to see why people were complaining about the bugs in the game upon release.

Just me whose having trouble seeing the difference in player size on the engine? I have a 5 foot 5 sweeper playing alongside a 6 foot 4 defender and find it hard to see the difference. Also the same with a 5 foot 1 striker up against 6 foot defenders. All look the same height!

Well boys another day, another own goal. This one turned a 2-1 win into a 2-2 draw and brought me out of a European spot. Incredibly frustrated and disheartened to hear that there won't be a fix until after Feb. 1. You would hope that a large company like this would keep the consumers in mind but I'm afraid I'm seeing that's not the case at all.

Well boys another day, another own goal. This one turned a 2-1 win into a 2-2 draw and brought me out of a European spot. Incredibly frustrated and disheartened to hear that there won't be a fix until after Feb. 1. You would hope that a large company like this would keep the consumers in mind but I'm afraid I'm seeing that's not the case at all.

Actually its a case of still working on it, given how clear Paul was on that, I'm surprised that you misread their intentions. Call me crazy but I would think working on something IS keeping the customer in mind.

It's been an issue since they fixed corners for the first time, and Paul said they aren't releasing anything until the database update. The testing clearly failed on the first fix and given that the reason for the updates taking so long is testing forgive me for showing some skepticism.

No because I take time and effort to immerse myself in the game fully, working on tactics, defensive/offensive positioning at set pieces etc until I'm happy with the game and my tactics. Far too many on here complain and moan abut the simplest things not working instead of working out what is wrong in their own game and team. Yes there are still a couple of little things need fixed but IMHO this ME is about as good as it looks like getting.

Out of the thousands playing, there is only a small percentage on here complaining and many of those have had their game working better after looking at tactics etc. Instead of moaning take the advise given and work on the game play more.

I have never once complained about not winning. I don't care a sniff about winning matches. I want to enjoy the football being played, see my wonderkids blossom into established top-flight stars. I don't want to see 18+ corners (for my team alone!) a game and wingplay being general trash amongst other things. Bearing that in mind i cannot say that i am satisfied with the game in its current state. You might be, but I'm not and your opinion is not more valuable than mine, nor is mine more valuable than yours.

My U21 side just won 1-0 away in U21 Champions Cup match and I decided to click on result to look at performance. Was surprised (understatement) to see that a 5* potential 16 year old striker that I am planning to develop played in goal! He has no familiarity as GK and GK attribute rating of 3. My U21 squad has 2 goalkeepers, although one of them only 53% match fit. Leave U21 squad to assistant but with them playing 1st team tactics. seems like a bug....? Checked all their previous fixtures and a proper goalkeeper was fielded in every other game.

My U21 side just won 1-0 away in U21 Champions Cup match and I decided to click on result to look at performance. Was surprised (understatement) to see that a 5* potential 16 year old striker that I am planning to develop played in goal! He has no familiarity as GK and GK attribute rating of 3. My U21 squad has 2 goalkeepers, although one of them only 53% match fit. Leave U21 squad to assistant but with them playing 1st team tactics. seems like a bug....? Checked all their previous fixtures and a proper goalkeeper was fielded in every other game.

In my FM13 game my reserve team sometimes selected an outfield player in goal too. I guess that issue is still there.

I don't read it that way, I read it that SI are not playing safe enough with recent developments hence the radical and ultimately problematic FM13 & 14, then follows a period of several months firefighting to improve the game. I find it hard to see why anyone would have an issue with that view as it is patently plausible. I cannot recall seeing anyone reasonable accusing SI of not caring, although I have seen several defences of them against that charge by FM Grandees. However, pressures to hit release deadlines have been cited by many as a reason for some problems and I am yet to see an Official denial of that which is convincing.

Maybe it would help instead releasing a game every year, to do it only once every two years. SI would have more time to improve things and until a new version were to be released, they could always do some patches with database update. And it solve the problem of having clients annoyed with so many bugs.

Maybe it would help instead releasing a game every year, to do it only once every two years. SI would have more time to improve things and until a new version were to be released, they could always do some patches with database update. And it solve the problem of having clients annoyed with so many bugs.

Argument is bandied around every single year without fail, and it would make no difference. They'd still have bugs.

Hi all, having given up on fm14 I have rebooted my demo. (I could not afford it pre Christmas but got some monies and want to buy it!)

Did I have bad luck or are the Goalkeepers messed up? I ask because something hilarious happened in my last game. I would put up a video of it but I dont know how, but it was appalling.

Think it was a pass back to the keeper, he didnt control it, missed it, but went back towards it but dived but missed it again, it his back and he just stood still while Benteke ran on and had an easy chance.

I didnt mind but I was 1-0 up and on top, ended up losing the game 3-2! Any advice on showing anyone is welcome. This is not a complaints thing either, its feedback and a general question on goalkeepers and if its worth buying.

There will still be own goals after the next update. If there's a higher than normal frequency just now, it's across the board, not just user controlled teams, so it's all relative. All that will be done is reduce the frequency of them.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there seems to be an awful lot of crosses/passes that end up going in/hitting woodwork/GK tips out for a corner to prevent a goal. Every game the commentary seems to say "He certaintly didn't mean that" or "He almost got lucky with that one".

There will still be own goals after the next update. If there's a higher than normal frequency just now, it's across the board, not just user controlled teams, so it's all relative. All that will be done is reduce the frequency of them.
Five own goals against, one in my favor this season (12 matches). Last season it was about the same ratio. But yes, keep repeating the company line.

Quick update.

Firstly as ever thanks to all those who have provided constructive criticism, as this is invaluable to us and appreciated.

There will be another ME update, probably with 14.3 when the data is updated. So far we have worked on the following:

- Goalie errors. We have identified a few that lingered around and will hope to get any remaining ones zapped for this cycle.

- Headed clearances. We identified issues with trajectory and direction and the fixes are now in test. Affects no of goals just after corners and also own goal count.

- Corners. We are still working on this. Main issue now is there are slightly too many of them at top levels.

- Ball physics. No changes planned for this cycle. There are definitely further improvements to be made but we believe it's in a decent state overall for the time being.

- General. We want to improve the individual play of the very best players slightly and this is a work in progress right now.

There are other bits and pieces too of course.

Cheers,

Paul

First of all thanks for the update PaulC.

Just a thought based on the two saves I've had so far. The first save I played was Man Utd and I tend to agree with you that the best players at that level (my team or others) maybe should have more visual impact.

But, a word of caution. After getting bored of my Man Utd save I deleted it and took on KooTeePee in the Finnish 2nd tier. No money, coaching limitations, players are rubbish. Yet at times I've got them playing some gorgeous football (own tactics which are very basic, no editing etc ) that I really doubt is credible at that level.

So my feedback is that there does need to be more differentiation between good players and limited players re. what we see in the ME representation.

Thanks for all you do :)

Five own goals against, one in my favor this season (12 matches). Last season it was about the same ratio. But yes, keep repeating the company line.

Company line lol, don't talk nonsense. Are you seriously suggesting the ME is biased against you?

First of all thanks for the update PaulC.

Just a thought based on the two saves I've had so far. The first save I played was Man Utd and I tend to agree with you that the best players at that level (my team or others) maybe should have more visual impact.

But, a word of caution. After getting bored of my Man Utd save I deleted it and took on KooTeePee in the Finnish 2nd tier. No money, players are rubbish. Yet at times I've got them playing some gorgeous football (own tactics which are very basic, no editing etc ) that I really doubt is credible at that level.

So my feedback is that there does need to be more differentiation between good players and limited players re. what we see in the ME representation.

Thanks for all you do :)

I'd actually say it be worth loading PKMs of that side if you get the chance, especially if you think they are playing football you think they shouldnt be capable of.

Despite having a slight Budweiser haze going and Honest Trailers playing on my second monitor I still cannot control the rage I feel bubbling up having just witnessed Ross Barkley score an OG from fully 60 yards, completely innocuously, due to yet another goalkeeper howler... More beer and a Jalfrezi needed!

Despite having a slight Budweiser haze going and Honest Trailers playing on my second monitor I still cannot control the rage I feel bubbling up having just witnessed Ross Barkley score an OG from fully 60 yards, completely innocuously, due to yet another goalkeeper howler... More beer and a Jalfrezi needed!

The bigger concern I would have with that is a player hitting it back to the keeper from 60 yards. That's at least 10 yards inside the opposition half. :eek:

I'd actually say it be worth loading PKMs of that side if you get the chance, especially if you think they are playing football you think they shouldnt be capable of.

OK I might do that :)

Late at night now but I'll have a browse through some earlier matches when I get the chance.

Just to be more specific re. what I mean.

I play a 4-5-1

GK - D

FB - D, CB - D, CB - D, FB - S

...............DM - D ...............

W - A, CM - S, AP - A, WM - S

...............DLF - S ................

No individual player instructions other than GK "distribute to defenders". Standard team instruction is "stick to positions". Philosophy is rigid, Mentality is Standard. I occasionally use "stay on feet" as we're not strong in the tackling or strength dept.

Yet at times I see my team playing out from the back like Spain and swarming forward with lovely movement when we break forward, in front of my DLF.

I'm 8 pts clear at the top with 9 games to go and I really didn't expect this, I thought it would be a long haul to get some upward movement.

The bigger concern I would have with that is a player hitting it back to the keeper from 60 yards. That's at least 10 yards inside the opposition half. :eek:

I asked myself this very same question and there is no reasonable explanation for it... Just seems to happen every once in a while, despite being a predominately possession based side (got to keep with what all the cool kids are doing after all) every one in ten games players will just start doing stupid stuff like that, regardless of instruction... I guess they feel if we're camped firmly in the opposition half, eleven of their players behind the ball, knocking one back to our keeper does indeed define 'keeping hold of it'...

Mystifying stuff...

I asked myself this very same question and there is no reasonable explanation for it... Just seems to happen every once in a while, despite being a predominately possession based side (got to keep with what all the cool kids are doing after all) every one in ten games players will just start doing stupid stuff like that, regardless of instruction... I guess they feel if we're camped firmly in the opposition half, eleven of their players behind the ball, knocking one back to our keeper does indeed define 'keeping hold of it'...

Mystifying stuff...

I'd definitely upload the PKM.

I'm 8 pts clear at the top with 9 games to go and I really didn't expect this, I thought it would be a long haul to get some upward movement.

Sometimes a team just gels fantastically well. I wish that would happen to me once in a while. After leading my Sunderland side to a very respectable 7th place in the Prem in the first season, I've started season 2 with five straight defeats and not a goal scored.

There's a whiff of P45 in the air...

Sometimes a team just gels fantastically well. I wish that would happen to me once in a while. After leading my Sunderland side to a very respectable 7th place in the Prem in the first season, I've started season 2 with five straight defeats and not a goal scored.

There's a whiff of P45 in the air...

That p45 comes any time soon and you can come cook my jalfrezi.. :p

Archived