FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

Is anyone else having severe problems with fitness in their second season?

The first season i would rotate my squad like usual and i had no problems. I'm now eight league games into my second season (16 in total) and i can't play one match without having to rest 4 or 5 players because their condition is 80-90% going into the next match. Focusing training on fitness hasn't helped in the slightest, neither does giving players a day or two off training. I'm rotating more than i ever have before and still it isn't making any difference, it's becoming really hard to field a team now. I literally cannot field the same player twice in a row unless i want them to play at 90% of less.

How on earth have you finished a season and bit in about 36 hours or so?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This should be sooo removed. I mean, surely Rooney plays differnetly in different formations. If he is in 442 and 4231 I'd imagine his roles would be different his purpose on the pitch would be different.

I have to agree here. Although admittedly it would mean more micromanagement, I'm of the opinion that different formations usually mean different approaches to the game and when/if you have a player who can complete more than one role, it's a bit limiting to have individual instructions apply across all three tactics.

Actually, in a 442 and 4231 it will be different. 2 Strikers are STCL and STCR, where the single striker is ST. So here you can give Rooney two different instructions for the two tactics. The problem is when you have multiple formations with one striker up front or multiple with 2 strikers. Same goes for the other positions.

Yep, I think it could be especially problematic for central midfielders.

Is there any way to permanently change which interface gets displayed between highlights during a game? It constantly shows my the oppositions ratings and I have to manually change it to show my own teams ratings in the game. Is there somewhere I can alter this so it always shows my own teams performance by default?

Some of the scores now are becoming quite ridiculous, at the start of the season I thought it was quite high with games normally ending with 2-1 or 3-1 but of late it has just went through the roof.

In the last few weeks I have had the following results 6-5, 5-4, 3-5, 6-3.

Most of the goals are through some terrible defending, while it makes the game somewhat interesting it also makes it very unrealistic.

Here is a Steam link to my season results so far.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559863135000030745/4ACF8D486EFC18872A52100F05EC2EBE5B444201/

Some of the scores now are becoming quite ridiculous, at the start of the season I thought it was quite high with games normally ending with 2-1 or 3-1 but of late it has just went through the roof.

Most of the goals are through some terrible defending, while it makes the game somewhat interesting it also makes it very unrealistic.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/559863135000030745/4ACF8D486EFC18872A52100F05EC2EBE5B444201/

There are known bugs for both defenders and keepers that are causing the scores to be high.

They are working on it.

Hi, I know that beta version has a lot of bugs but if I continiue save game on full version from beta version , WHOLE bugs will be solved ???

I'd like to start long career on beta version.

Yes, any bugs that they fix in time for the full version will apply to your saved game.

I did a quick holiday sim to 2034 to check out the state of the long-term save. It looked good but there were a couple of issues I noticed:

--Relatively few players have any PPMs, let alone the 2 or 3 that some players have in the starting database.

--I don't think I saw any world-class level players who were two-footed (or even remotely two-footed (i.e. Very Strong/Fairly Strong)).

--An overly high (in my opinion) percentage of the "new" managers play a $$@ formation.

--This is based more on a gut feeling than anything, but I feel like there isn't a wide enough range of player templates (i.e. there appear to be few ball playing CBs, quick keepers, etc.)

Hi, I know that beta version has a lot of bugs but if I continiue save game on full version from beta version , WHOLE bugs will be solved ???

I'd like to start long career on beta version.

On the whole yes but some fixes will not take effect until a new season begins, your save will be fine but there could be a couple of fixes that will take effect at the start of the new season.

Bit of a long shot but is it possible a fix may be rolled out for the beta in order to solve the "hanging" issue when accessing backroom advice?

I would doubt they would do a patch just for that, it is hardly game breaking, there may very well be another patch before the actual release that may include a fix for that, we will have to wait and see.

Ok I've done half a season now so I can offer a bit more feedback.

The main thing that has been bothering me is the defensive play (its not just my team it works both ways) and more specifically the lack of tackling. A lot of the goals I am seeing are coming from defenders backing off as the attacker glides into space, attracts all the defenders in my defensive line towards him like a magnet and is able to either fire a shot off or pick out any of a number of free attackers to score the goals.

That said I think this years Beta is much better than last years and if they can get the defenders to start putting in tackles then this years ME could be a real treat to watch.

That said I think this years Beta is much better than last years and if they can get the defenders to start putting in tackles then this years ME could be a real treat to watch.

I totally agree, the defending and high amount of goals aside the game is very good, much better than last years beta release.

This could turn out to be the best FM ever.

Something positive I would like to add.

I am simply loving as a lower league manager how easy it is now to identify and get players in on loan.

With the new finance system in place it is harder than ever to be a lower league manager, thanks to the new system of the assistant manager giving 2 or 3 recommendations and once I click to see if they are any good I am just one click away from my staff doing the work to bring the player to the club, it really is a big help and I have signed 4 players this way.

Very streamlined and time saving. :)

Hello,

I purchased fm14 on steam just today. After it installed everything went ok then when I came back to play it after shutting it down several hours later the screen size increased ridiculously. Unfortunately there is no way for me to change it back to default or anything as the tab key does let me navigate round. Attached is a screen shot of the preferences screen (I could only navigate there as I knew the shortcut). You will see I have highlighted a screen resolution, I have done this as the mouse cursor is actually about far below where the highlighted cell is (unfortunatley the cursor cannot be shown). This means I cannot even click confirm as the mouse cursor does not even respond to that area!!

BTW I'm on a 15" mac retina display.

Can anyone help with this issue?!

Image below

http://imgur.com/krkwcCm

I dont know if anyone answered this but I was curious to know what the big differences are in this game and how good is it compared to FM13?

I am starting to think that too, having read all the feedback since it went live, seems nothing much, especially regarding transfers which ( IMO was completely flawed and needed fixing big time) apart from all the pre-beta-bugs which usually what you expect from an unfinished game , I will be definitely waiting on this version before buying it!

will it please be possible to use backgrounds on day when full game is out?

i remember last year we have waited 2 months to be able tu put our backgrounds packs in game and that they work in transparent skins...

please make this available on release date of full game..

I dont know if anyone answered this but I was curious to know what the big differences are in this game and how good is it compared to FM13?

Just wait until the demo is out and than play it and compare it.

Between your 6-5 and 3-5´s i see 2 matches with suddenly 1-0 and even 0-0. Do you have any idea why there were suddenly no goals and right after that the goal amount exploded again? Because i have the same problem and i have honestly no idea why. It just feels so random.:-(

A minor gripe: is there any way the in-match 'make substitute' screen could pause the game as the 'change player role' screen does? Quite a few times now I've clicked to make a substitute towards the end of the game and forgotten to pause but by the time I've finished choosing said substitute and deciding which role they are to play, minutes have passed and, a couple of times, the game has finished. I appreciate it's more my forgetfulness than anything but it makes sense to me for something like that to pause the match rather than let it go on in the background and largely obscured.

I am starting to think that too, having read all the feedback since it went live, seems nothing much, especially regarding transfers which ( IMO was completely flawed and needed fixing big time) apart from all the pre-beta-bugs which usually what you expect from an unfinished game , I will be definitely waiting on this version before buying it!

The game is much, much more refined. The match engine has been noticeably improved both graphically and mechanically and there have been a lot of improvements to menus, presentation and the like. Additionally, in case you'd missed the raging debate, sliders have disappeared and tactics are now 'shout'-focused. Personally, I find it a huge improvement over FM13.

Ok. I have i just tried to load last game and there is not one. Last time i played was before yesterday's update.

Edit: the option to" load last game" is not available but i can find it when i use "load game"

I have played only one game so far. Is this the reason? There is another game with the same name and (v2). What is this?

One issue I had so far was the player names on top of the player during the match are too dark and cant be seen easily. I think I read about it somewhere here but Im not sure. The camera I use is Main Stand and this was not an issue in FM13. The monitor I use is 23" so its not about having a small screen. Although the ball in FM14 is much better to see. I am still not sure if this is only on some fields and weathers or on all of them.

Might be more 'realistic', but this has killed the game for me. Most lower league clubs have zero transfer budget (in fact, some bigger clubs also do). The amount of frees you can sign is limited enough, now you won't be able to sign a single free who has an agent. Poor show.

Also, nowhere on the transfer confirmation screen does it inform you what this fee is for.

Been impressed so far, but this is a gamebreaker for me.

This was really disappointing to read. I liked the old budget system. You were still held responsible for agent fees via wage bills and profit/loss mechanisms, so this change feels overly restrictive, unnecessary, and "unfun" to me.

A minor gripe: is there any way the in-match 'make substitute' screen could pause the game as the 'change player role' screen does? Quite a few times now I've clicked to make a substitute towards the end of the game and forgotten to pause but by the time I've finished choosing said substitute and deciding which role they are to play, minutes have passed and, a couple of times, the game has finished. I appreciate it's more my forgetfulness than anything but it makes sense to me for something like that to pause the match rather than let it go on in the background and largely obscured.

Just like in FM13, you can make a quick sub which pauses the game. Unless I've picked you up wrong here.

This was really disappointing to read. I liked the old budget system. You were still held responsible for agent fees via wage bills and profit/loss mechanisms, so this change feels overly restrictive, unnecessary, and "unfun" to me.

It's been my experience so far that plenty of players will sign contracts without agent fees. Since Loyalty bonuses also get deducted, all I do is figure out what their required Loyalty Bonuses and Agent Fees are as a weekly wage, add that to their Appearance Fee and they sign right away.

Thats really strange cuz we signed Paul Caddis ( who has a agent ) for free and were completely broke ( I'm a BCFC fan ) this is IRL btw...soo does put a dampener on it all unfortunately

• Administrators
Surley a bug. I may not even stay up and the want me to win the Scottish Premiership

um5t.png

I had a 15 point deduction, 20 players, with 3 over the age of 23 and they want me to win the league next year

May be worth raising this on the bugs forum - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/341-Football-Manager-2014-Pre-Release-Beta-Bugs-Forum

Thanks.

1)After the update, most of the preferences have changed. Currency changed from euro to dollar etc... Is that Normal due to "beta status"?

2) Why the show match info between highlights option when watching a game always resets?

3) I cannot find a full screen (just the pitch, no UI) view mode. Is there one at all?

Probably been said before in the 14 odd pages, but loosing the positioning of my windows in game mode is really annoying. The old versions used to do this, but it does it everytime I switch to the tactical screen during a game.

Everything has improved other than this valuation system.

I was after a striker for my Liverpool team as Sturridge was awful in my first season. Chelsea initially wanted 121 million for Lukaku. I got them down to 61 million after a lot of bartering. I moved onto Javier Hernandez (reluctantly). United wanted 93 million for him- I got them down to 51 million. Obviously, I didn't pay 51 million as that's absurd. He rarely plays in real life!

I ended up changing my tactics slightly and pushing Suarez up as a central striker, and then I signed a few wingers. One winger I signed was Yarmolenko. He was valued at 7 million and I paid 10 million for him. I accept you usually have to pay more than what players are worth to sign them, but Lukaku and Hernandez aren't worth more than 15 million on my game, so why on earth would they be valued at over triple that by their clubs?

Now that FFP has been included in the game, it will be simply impossible to sign some players without getting points deducted. In around 2018 in FM13, Neymar was priced at 145 million. If the valuation system is the same this year, there's no chance of signing any big names early on with FFP now being included.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I agree with an earlier post in regards to the coloured bar showing the players efficiency in a certain position. It's so hard to see whether it's a bright green or a darker green, and was much better in 2013.

Asking for a certain amount doesn't mean they think that player is worth that much. They obviously don't want to sell, and won't unless you make a ridiculous offer.

Some weird things with the match engine that just look unrealistic.

The crossing is sometimes atrocious in comical ways. If they are really close to the endline and attempt a outswinging cross sometimes the ball will curl out of play then come back. That curling out of play even happens on corners. Watching Van Persie do it made me giggle.

This may be a problem with the animations but often is a player attempts a tackle he will just get up and seem to forget there s a game going on and sort of linger around before remembering to srart running after the attacker again

Lots of "magical defending" especially in central midfield. An attacking player will attempt to dribble past a player and the ball seems to just stick to the defender's foot and he gains possession.

SOme weirdness with winger play also. SOmetimes a player will just randomly dribble out of bounds. Nobody around putting pressure and acres of spaces ahead but instead they just push the ball out of bounds. I guess it can happen once in a while to take a bad firs touch but the frequency seems really high.

The new fees for unused substitute seem a little unrealistic at times they seem really high in contract negotiations.

Can we please take out the animations of the players chasing the ball for throw ins or corners? I like to watch matches in full when I try new tactics and watching players aimlessly wander after the ball gets annoying. On a corner the ball rolled up to the top of the box 3 yards from my other player. The corner taker ran all the way out to get the ball and when he almost got there my other player finally kicked the ball towards the corner flag so my corner taker had to run all the way back. When it's the 89th minute and you are chasing the game it makes no sense.

I've got almost all the way through the first season before finding out that the databases are slightly different. I loaded up the exact same database selection as in my FM 13, but having just had a look through certain leagues, almost all the players have disappeared from peripheral locations. Need to restart.

Archived