FM 2014 Pre-Release Beta - Official feedback thread.

As a partially sighted FM player i am absolutely delighted with the new zoom settings. You have truly made my playing experience 100% better.

Thank you thank you thank you...

...on another note. I'm having a spot of difficulty with the 'customise view' options. The columns seem to have a mind of their own when trying to resize them. They just resize other columns and you end up with hardly anything being shown on the screen. I know it's beta so not a massive issue.

FM14 is looking like a world-beater.

Well Done Miles and Team!

For me the zooming is not working, do i have to change this in preferences ? and what does it do ? zoom in , in the 3d matches ?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few initial thoughts...

1) I can't work out how to get my assman to send me a list of recommended loanees. I used this in previous FMs so am definitely missing it.

2) I like to watch the match in the 3d engine, with some useful overlays displayed e.g. the player's ratings/condition window, match information window. However, it's not saving these windows correctly in between matches, e.g. I'll have the player ratings window for my team in one position, then the next match it will have shifted to somewhere else on the screen (sometimes on top of another window). Quite frustrating.

3. On the tactics window where your players are placed in the formation, when you have players out of position, you no longer see a colour to indicate this (e.g. red for a player in ML who's not used to playing there). Unless I'm missing something. I presume this does still apply in FM14?

Other than those things, liking the game, match engine looks much more real in terms of what the footballers are doing, at least in lower leagues where I'm managing atm.

A few initial thoughts...

1) I can't work out how to get my assman to send me a list of recommended loanees. I used this in previous FMs so am definitely missing it.

2) I like to watch the match in the 3d engine, with some useful overlays displayed e.g. the player's ratings/condition window, match information window. However, it's not saving these windows correctly in between matches, e.g. I'll have the player ratings window for my team in one position, then the next match it will have shifted to somewhere else on the screen (sometimes on top of another window). Quite frustrating.

3. On the tactics window where your players are placed in the formation, when you have players out of position, you no longer see a colour to indicate this (e.g. red for a player in ML who's not used to playing there). Unless I'm missing something. I presume this does still apply in FM14?

Other than those things, liking the game, match engine looks much more real in terms of what the footballers are doing, at least in lower leagues where I'm managing atm.

For the player positions, the dot has been replaced by a coloured bar under the players name, its quite easy to miss to begin with, not really sure why they made that change, its no where near as obvious as it was in previous years.

Is there a reason why semi-pro clubs can't ever sign players from abroad? Each and everyone of them wants a full time contract (which semi-pro clubs can't offer), while in real life obviously even very small clubs have foreigners playing for them.

I posted in the bugs forum but it was ignored, maybe someone from SI will see it here >_>

For the player positions, the dot has been replaced by a coloured bar under the players name, its quite easy to miss to begin with, not really sure why they made that change, its no where near as obvious as it was in previous years.

I agree, no need for the change.

For me the coloured circle should go where the little white shirt is. I don't see what purpose that shirt serves, but happy to be proven wrong.

P.s. the hints and tips that come up when you save the game still talk about the coloured dot

If you improve your attitude you may find replies more to your liking. Your earlier post was objecting that others now find success in what you suggest is a manner less deserved than your own slider manipulation antics hence my reply.

If you are now prepared to consider reasonable arguement I believe that sliders are now considered by SI to be ME manipulation devices and consequently good riddance! 12 months ago I found that view unpalatable too, and I have used the TC for years but I felt all players should be able to play in their own way - but I am now convinced that the new way is the right and only way, though it may need some development to be perfect. The point is I suspect that SI can make much better ME's much quicker and much easier if they are working with the manageable though still vastly numerous shout / instruction combinations. To work with sliders would be to make the game less stable / readily accessible to everyone.

This is exactly the problem. The game has never been about smooth, beautiful graphics - more about the depth. Substance is being substituted for style.

For me the coloured circle should go where the little white shirt is. I don't see what purpose that shirt serves, but happy to be proven wrong.

P.s. the hints and tips that come up when you save the game still talk about the coloured dot

The shirt icon indicates the player who is playing the position is following the general instructions for the position. It changes to a silhouette if the player has specific instructions for the position.

The shirt icon indicates the player who is playing the position is following the general instructions for the position. It changes to a silhouette if the player has specific instructions for the position.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense now

I am not sure if this is the bug or it could be due to my tactic but I seems to conceding awful quite a lot, no matter what tactic/instruction I tried, I am guaranteed to let in a goal or two. Is that a known bug or?

To be honest, it's impossible to diagnose what the issue could be without quite a bit of detail.

There are a few defensive issues under review, but these may not be the cause of the goals you concede if there are some inherent tactical flaws in your setup.

Is there a reason why semi-pro clubs can't ever sign players from abroad? Each and everyone of them wants a full time contract (which semi-pro clubs can't offer), while in real life obviously even very small clubs have foreigners playing for them.

I posted in the bugs forum but it was ignored, maybe someone from SI will see it here >_>

As in real life, the foreigners playing for semi-pro clubs are those already living in the country. Players won't emigrate to a new country for a part-time wage for obvious reasons.

The layout of the squad creen seems slightly wrong. You have the selected position down the left hand side and then you have the player name, but anything that you actually might want to look at, (dependant on which option you set the filter to, genera,l contract, transfer, selection, Asst reports etc, all the info seems squashed into the right hand side of the screen. Why does half the screen need to be taken up for just a name? It just doesn't seem to look right.

Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can now fully customize the squad view (and others too), including adding what you want to know at a glance and removing what you do not care about (like height and weight for me - pointless). That's inside the game, not by modding.

Most notably you can also sort all information, meaning you can easily move the important bits to where you want them to appear.

For instance in staff search I have created an own view just for looking for scouts. I want their name, club, nationality, contract expiry and wages, JCA and JPA. Took me 30 seconds and now I have everything I need to know at a glance.

hth :)

As in real life, the foreigners playing for semi-pro clubs are those already living in the country. Players won't emigrate to a new country for a part-time wage for obvious reasons.

That is patently untrue, plenty of players emigrate to play semi-pro football and work a day job, or just play football if the wage is high enough.

That is patently untrue, plenty of players emigrate to play semi-pro football and work a day job, or just play football if the wage is high enough.

The spark for the move is their main job, not the football! No-one emigrates for £50p/w, you can't even live on that.

look at it in this way:

Preiously you had 20 notches on a slider for depth, right?

now you have:

Play even deeper

Play deeper

Push higher up

Push even higher up

So instead of 20 notches on a slider, now you basicaly have 4 notches + your normal depth (depending on tactic you use) so all that has been changed is the way the notches are represented and number of notches which have been divided by 4.

not a huge difference in my opinion but vastly better implemented and more accessible. give it a try is all i can suggest as there is no going back.

The problem for me (using your example) each individual tactic (attacking, counter, fluid etc etc) all have settings already set for the backline (and other settings, but continuing with your example) all of which are COMPLETELY HIDDEN. So I have no idea how low or high the backline is in the first place before playing a match. This is the problem. If they could make a way for us to see what the settings are for backline (and everything else) we wouldn't be nearly as bothered. Not knowing what it is is why we feel like we have less control and are not happy with sliders being removed.

Perhaps if the description of the tactics was FAR MORE detailed, if there was a list somewhere saying "With this tactic: low backline/average backline/high backline etc, very narrow, narrow, average etc etc etc" we wouldn't care nearly as much. It's the fact this information is hidden that it the problem for us. We simply want all this information and to be able to change it individually regardless of whether it is with a slider or a block of words.

I agree..the dots were perfect, this underline colour is almost invisible!

The problem for me (using your example) each individual tactic (attacking, counter, fluid etc etc) all have settings already set for the backline (and other settings, but continuing with your example) all of which are COMPLETELY HIDDEN. So I have no idea how low or high the backline is in the first place before playing a match. This is the problem. If they could make a way for us to see what the settings are for backline (and everything else) we wouldn't be nearly as bothered. Not knowing what it is is why we feel like we have less control and are not happy with sliders being removed.

Perhaps if the description of the tactics was FAR MORE detailed, if there was a list somewhere saying "With this tactic: low backline/average backline/high backline etc, very narrow, narrow, average etc etc etc" we wouldn't care nearly as much. It's the fact this information is hidden that it the problem for us. We simply want all this information and to be able to change it individually regardless of whether it is with a slider or a block of words.

it's quite obvious if you set them to contain that your d-line will sit in the keepers lap,and if you set them to overload the d-line will move all the way up to the centre.

Really impressed by how slick everything is so far. Just a question though - in the previous FM, we were able to make more than one request per day to the board but that's now frustratingly back to just one issue. Obviously that doesn't accurately reflect a meeting! Is this an error?

The spark for the move is their main job, not the football! No-one emigrates for £50p/w, you can't even live on that.

Why are you equating part-time contracts with 50 pounds per week? In the game I can offer players upwards of 600 pounds p/w on a semi-pro contract. There are plenty of players from poor countries (e.g. in Africa) for whom this would be a significant economic improvement.

Besides, the problem is not about the wages, it's that players flat out refuse to consider a part time contract, and semi-pro clubs cannot offer full time contracts in the game. E.g. there are over 100 foreign players in Icelandic clubs in the initial database, either on full-time or part-time contracts, but since all clubs are part-time, this number will go down to zero as players leave or retire, which creates an unrealistic situation.

it's quite obvious if you set them to contain that your d-line will sit in the keepers lap,and if you set them to overload the d-line will move all the way up to the centre.

Picking 2 really obvious examples doesn't really help. How does rigid, fluid, standard, etc etc change it then? Does it? And I'm not talking just about the backline, it was just an example. The point is, we should have all this information available without having to guess.

Why are you equating part-time contracts with 50 pounds per week? In the game I can offer players upwards of 600 pounds p/w on a semi-pro contract. There are plenty of players from poor countries (e.g. in Africa) for whom this would be a significant economic improvement.

Besides, the problem is not about the wages, it's that players flat out refuse to consider a part time contract, and semi-pro clubs cannot offer full time contracts in the game. E.g. there are over 100 foreign players in Icelandic clubs in the initial database, either on full-time or part-time contracts, but since all clubs are part-time, this number will go down to zero as players leave or retire, which creates an unrealistic situation.

Because in previous versions, that's exactly what you could do. Foreign players will accept part-time contracts if they are based in that country. So, the 100 foreign players in Iceland will be able to re-sign for the same/different Icelandic clubs going forward on part-time deals.

It may be that more randomly generated players based in "foreign" countries to their nationality should be seen going forward, but the current situation of players not emigrating for part-time deals is a lot more realistic than the free-for-all of previous FMs where all nonleague teams could fill their entire squad with cheap foreigners in days. That is obviously unrealistic as it isn't happening in real life.

It may be that more randomly generated players based in "foreign" countries to their nationality should be seen going forward, but the current situation of players not emigrating for part-time deals is a lot more realistic than the free-for-all of previous FMs where all nonleague teams could fill their entire squad with cheap foreigners in days. That is obviously unrealistic as it isn't happening in real life.

Having absolutely no foreign transfers to part-time clubs is about as unrealistic as the free-for-all you're describing. Turning one extreme into another is just throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Look, I have no issue with SI restricting the number of foreigners that part-time clubs are able to sign, but it should be done in a realistic way, by making the foreigners ask for bigger contracts that small clubs will be unlikely to be able to pay, and not by arbitrarily barring them from making foreign signings altogether.

watch the games guys!!! you come to the club as a new coach, you have to learn your teams behaviour from scratch. i never heard of a coach/manager giving instructions like "defense move 5 clicks up" "i want you to pass the ball with 75% power" etc. and even then,do you really watch football... situations/scenarios are changing/varying the whole time throghout the game. it's not like the team is strictly sticking to your orders! now the control we have, feels more like real football and not playing around with some mysterious sliders.... but whatever you like guys ;) i'm happy!!! imagine coaches/managers in meetings moving sliders left and right :lol:

The issue I have with this argument is that it is distorted by a users' experience. You only knew what the slider notches translated to because you had to watch games to see what the impacts of your adjustments were. Once you had this appreciation, you could adjust things relatively blindly.

In the new system, once you experiment with the Strategies, you will see where the line is, and when you experiment with Team Instructions within those Strategies, you will see where the line moves to.

I think sometimes familiar things can blur our recollection of the past. At no point in the slider era were you explicitly "shown" what the impact of tweaks was. You had to watch a game to understand it - things are no different now.

I am sure in a few weeks no-one will miss the sliders, there was the same reaction when SI first removed the arrows, some players just don't like changes made to the game, the new system is a lot easier to play with, it just takes a little time to get used too.

The issue I have with this argument is that it is distorted by a users' experience. You only knew what the slider notches translated to because you had to watch games to see what the impacts of your adjustments were. Once you had this appreciation, you could adjust things relatively blindly.

In the new system, once you experiment with the Strategies, you will see where the line is, and when you experiment with Team Instructions within those Strategies, you will see where the line moves to.

I think sometimes familiar things can blur our recollection of the past. At no point in the slider era were you explicitly "shown" what the impact of tweaks was. You had to watch a game to understand it - things are no different now.

That is probably the best point ive read on it all. We had to learn one system, now we have to learn a new one. We were never told how far up the pitch a defensive line set to 6 was, everyone had to watch and learn, now its like starting from scratch again.

I'm half way through my first season now. I've been watching every match in extended highlights so I get a good feel for what it's like. I'd say the biggest issue I've encountered is defenders standing off and allowing attacking players to almost run right through. But I see this is a known issue. There may also be too many wasted CCC, as many shots are just blasted high and wide. None of it is making me pull my hair out in frustration or want to stop playing though, which is a testament to how good everything else is. In the FM13 beta I gave up after a day of playing

Sorry I haven't read through this whole thread so this might have been posted, but I put this on another site and thought it would be better mentioned here just in case:

'Just ran into an issue that sort of wrecked my first save: I mutually terminated a lot of my staffs contracts, and offered deals to new staff. I got the news where I had to confirm all of the terminations, then saved after I had accepted them all.

Came back later, but as I continued none of the contracts actually got terminated. The news was still there that I had accepted it, but the next news saying that the staff had actually left never came through. And for some reason all of my offers to other staff had just disappeared. They were in my transfer centre, so the game knew that I had offered them deals, but without any reason they had all got cancelled and I had to go back and offer the contracts again.

Even worse though, the staff that I still had because their contracts hadn't been terminated, no longer had the option to mutually terminate their deals, so instead I would have had to spend most of my budget just terminating them outright, which obviously costs a lot more than doing it mutually.

Ended up just starting all over again, but wasted a lot of time. Anyone else want to do a test to see if that was just a one off or just my game? Just save after you have confirmed a mutual termination, and see if it still goes through afterwards. Obviously on a backup save or whatever just in case though.'

Another thing; is there any way to know the severity of an injury that is picked up mid-game? Like, in real life you'll know if someone has gone off because of a broken leg or just a head wound, whereas in FM I can't see any hint at what sort of injury has been picked up, and it can just be quite annoying having to wait until after the game to know exactly what has happened.

Picking 2 really obvious examples doesn't really help. How does rigid, fluid, standard, etc etc change it then? Does it? And I'm not talking just about the backline, it was just an example. The point is, we should have all this information available without having to guess.

i don't think style changes the d-line. mentality does.

The fact that World Cup qualifiers are based on random fixtures and the results before start date are randomly generated rather than matching real life rather sucks.

I agree. They could put the results right, like if in RL it was 1-0, they should have made it 2-0..just so the tables look like in RL.

I'm half way through my first season now. I've been watching every match in extended highlights so I get a good feel for what it's like. I'd say the biggest issue I've encountered is defenders standing off and allowing attacking players to almost run right through. But I see this is a known issue. There may also be too many wasted CCC, as many shots are just blasted high and wide. None of it is making me pull my hair out in frustration or want to stop playing though, which is a testament to how good everything else is. In the FM13 beta I gave up after a day of playing

Thanks dude. I had that problem for a whole season, I thought it was my ****** team. Defenders seem to be almost a waste of money atm, complete opposite of fm13.

On the plus side even with my horrible team I still create a decent amount of good chances.

Well, i did the "new" windowed mode stuff. Later i try to change (biggers or smallers) the bars of Name, Positions, Last 5 matchs etc etc and it doesn't work. And that's how i see my squad right now:

SmkHVwl.jpg

Is it a bug of windowed mode? Is it a problem of mine? Or everyone when change that have that problem??

In FM13 there was an issue that you was not able to see your assistant's pre-match feedback actually for the match started. I have been told several times that this would be fixed in FM14, but I still cannot find it. Maybe it's me, but it looks like it is still only accessible while the match has already started...

Ive reported this yet again in the bugs section - the video Miles produced for Match day prior to the release states that the assistant offers advice pre match but goes to the match analysis screen again that you can only access after doing the team talks - its disapointing that these bugs are been spotted and nothing is been done about them.

The screen was visible prior to FM13 when you could see the reaction of your player ie over confident etc, nervous prior to giving them the team talk to try to counteract it. Now you cannot as you cant see the screen

what have you done with the tactics...it doesn't make sense :(

Also, why can't you set a wingers player instructions to 'dribble with ball more'...is it already pre-fixed into his position...or is it a bug?

Its already pre-set, as its the job of a winger to dribble and cross.

what have you done with the tactics...it doesn't make sense :(

Also, why can't you set a wingers player instructions to 'dribble with ball more'...is it already pre-fixed into his position...or is it a bug?

Dribbling is a hard coded part of the winger Role, not a bug.

Similarly Inside Forwards have Cut Inside set.

The tactics do make sense, you just haven't figured them out yet ;)

Archived