Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

What's the point of having a ME if patches to the ME affect the ways in which to choose my tactical settings?

To put it another way:

What is Football Manager supposed to be? A game about managing football players? Or a game about managing a MATCH ENGINE?

Oh, and one more thing: No, I am not going to sink another 100 hours into this piece of software to tell your corporate people what needs to be done in order to sell more copies next year.

Goodbye.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone in the opposite team could dribble past under the closing down of two or three defenders; Useless strikers; Too much goals from corner and set piece.

I got abate and criscito as sidebacks and they end up with being beaten whenever AI wants. In another game of Juventus someone in Varese who I can not tell dribble past my whole defending system including Chielline, Bonucci, Vidal, Lucio and Fellaini. Is there any way back to 1310???

Lol not even out a day and so far people have written it off, im sure we saw this coming.....

Anyway, i played about 10 games last night, liking it so far. Shots are way to high, but only in certain circustances, it would seem if your the dominate team, your likely to hit about 25 shots during the game and if a team is chasing a game they are likely to give up a lot of shots on their goal as well, but so far i have not seen any problems with the number of goals so i dont think its a huge issue. Dribbling for certain kinds of players seems a bit off as well, i have a left winger, quite pacy, in the first 5 games he averaged 13.2 dribbles a game, but my right winger, not so quick has only averaged 3.7. Not seen any issues with players ghosting through the centre so far, keepers are much much better, heading is much better, as is crossing. Players make more realistic challenges and a more realistic number of challenges and the tweak to the ratings is good, no more are my centre backs winning player of the month all the time.

All in all a good effort, just out in time for xmas as well! A huge thanks to Paul and the guys.

I think the GK ratings while improved, could still use some work. My GK saved a penalty but his rating remained the same - I'd expect it to boost his performance grade.

Also the keepers get to make 10-20 saves per game - but they still get low sixes if they concede.

New ME is providing some nice goals, I don't think I've ever seen one like this

[video=youtube;XAp2aSPDDWs]

I am at work now and have only played like 6-10 matches yet, so I will give my impressions. I just describe what I see here, and I should point out that there is possibly a tactical solution to my 13.2 problems, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe I will maybe I won't but no matter what happens any tactical changes I do going forward will be adjustments to the reality of the ME, as I will try to translate my ideas of good football into FM.

Before the patch, my tactic had some really nice attacking moves with quick exchanges of passes going forward with good movement. Some of the goals I scored were through-balls from deep (counter-attacks) but I'd say that most were against a defence in balance or semi-balance. There were very few dribbling raids and apart from when my wingers could go on the outside and cross (they're set to cut inside), I never intended solo efforts to be a significant method of chance creation.

In 13.2 there are no nice attacking moves with quick exchanges of passes going forward with good movement. The strikers are both non-existant as chance creators; they simply pass safely amongst each other or back to the midfield, or shoot into a defender. My wingers are still my main creative force but not due to passing choices or one-twos; rather, they only appear in highlights when they dribble, which they do a lot (they are set to do so often, but when set to Sometimes I create no chances at all). Most of the goals I have scored so far have been from set pieces or through melee randomness inside the box, and the same could be said about the goals I have conceded. There is little or no team play on both sides. Solo raids, corners, direct and indirect free-kicks, or the ball just happens to bump randomly into goal after a series of challenges in the air or on the ground - that's what I see. Granted, there is some nice passing in the midfield, but up front both teams lack coherence. I have set my defence to man mark tightly and relatively high closing down (not stand off at least), so I do expect a relatively chaotic defensive line, but this is more extreme now than before the patch.

So while there are less random own goals and horrible decisions, less bugs in general and some nice animations, there is more randomness in the ME in general. I am sure this reflects real life, where the ball often randomly drops down in front of a striker who shoots it in goal rather than beatiful connected play, but this is not and should not be what most FM players would like to achieve with their tactics.

Yeah first impressions; do I need to rebuild my tactic? Must I abandon 424 for a more midfield-heavy tactic? Are my fears of FM becoming a "tactics dance" where it is necessary to counter opposition moves manually rather than letting my players deal with it coming true? Too early to say, but so far I am a bit disappointed with the update.

I have been very negative about your penultimate patch, which I thought lacked the standard established by your former FM series.

After playing a couple of games (4-5 hours), I can say this patch is better and I am happy to play on.

I have seen a number of high score games 5-0, 7-0 but I am going to play the whole season and judge on that. As Liverpool (I signed Lewandowski and Otamendi), those were score lines from matches against extremely inferior teams (Liverpool reserves, and EURO qualifier vs Hearts), so this score line seems reasonable, especially with a stronger squad in my version with Lewandowski and Otamendi.

I will therefore enjoy playing this until February/ next patch.

And I do apologise if my criticisms were a little over the top last time. Nice job SI, nice job Paul, Neil and the team.

I do see your point, but the ME doesn't differentiate between AI and human players. So if your guys are dribbling like wizards, then a good enough player on their team will too. I'm not saying this fixes the issue, it just means you don't need to feel guilty, as your opposition have the possiblity of doing it too.

The AI in FM is awful though, and all that is going to happen with this patch is human managers will soon work out the best way to exploit the flawed ME , AI managers are not smart enough/unable to counter it.

Give it over the weekend, a tactic will appear in the tactics forum maximising whatever it is that is seeing 30+ shots + 5+ goals in a game , someone will take that and make it defensivley sound and it will become the go to tactic until 13.3 comes along and breaks it.

Rinse and repeat.

further feedback after some match with the update. I'm going on with the previous save and same tactic. Frankly speaking, I've not noticed the disaster some says. The matches ended 2-2, 2-1, 2-0, 3-2. Number of shots (and shots on goal) more then pre-update but not so unrealistic: 18/8, 13/4, 14/4, 12/4. The opposite team shot less, but I think because I play with Luton in Blue Square and they are by far the best team in the league. Of course a fast player now is a powerful weapon, but after some match I've not seen too much strange run. Still some freak mistakes by GK and some mad pass by defenders. Throw in too much dangerous for AI team, set piece now much more effective (for both teams). I'd some stupid long shots but not so much, the same for the chilidish 'group pressing' (just once) that I read in some posts. To have a complete test, I will start a new save with a more average team, maybe the ME reacts in a different way

im playing as bayern, im UNDEFEATED in the season, but im far from happy. IA still scores once when got ONE chance very often, if im huge dominator, opponents keeper seems to be Oliver Kahn in his prime. players like Neymar miss goals for fun.

i repeat, im making this statement while im UNDEFEATED.

maybe the one who said that starting new game improve things would be right... just maaaaaaybe

The AI in FM is awful though, and all that is going to happen with this patch is human managers will soon work out the best way to exploit the flawed ME , AI managers are not smart enough/unable to counter it.

Give it over the weekend, a tactic will appear in the tactics forum maximising whatever it is that is seeing 30+ shots + 5+ goals in a game , someone will take that and make it defensivley sound and it will become the go to tactic until 13.3 comes along and breaks it.

Rinse and repeat.

You are completely right that that is what happened in previous FMs, but I am not aware of anyone managing to do it with the previous patch, which was very well balanced. My early experiences of this patch make me think it is more plausible that it could happen this time, but this is what happens when SI is forced to reacted to the screaming snarling masses threatening to burn stuff down because their team lost a match or one of their players made a wrong decision during the course of a game.

Congratulations forum...

After completing 7-8 months on extended highlights since yesterday I think it's fine and even animation seems to have improved some. My bog standard tactic, with 4-5 shouts to go to, with players best suited to play a basic role works as it should. The ME still allows me to adapt to what I 'think' I see and ME reacts as I think it should; own players and AI as well do ok with that which sometimes works out, sometimes doesn't....as it should pretty much.

If not perfect, but then what is, the ME and game did feel fine since release though, patches or not, for me that is. :)

It's mad how you get exactly the same type messages here every release, every patch year in, year out. Or maybe it's not... :D

After completing 7-8 months on extended highlights since yesterday I think it's fine and even animation seems to have improved some. My bog standard tactic, with 4-5 shouts to go to, with players best suited to play a basic role works as it should, it allows me to adapt to what I 'think' I see and reacts as I think it should; own players and AI which sometimes works, sometimes doesn't....as it should pretty much if not perfect, but then what is. And it did since release though and I've thought it fine since as well.

It's mad how you get exactly the same type messages here every release, every patch year in, year out. Or maybe it's not... :D

Good to see a post based on an extended run of games post patch.

Your sentiments are the same as mine, albeit I only played 10 games last night, and it's good to see that you are experiencing the same over a longer period.

Of all your observations, the one about adapting tactics and seeing the reaction is exactly the same as I was seeing, and I think that's a very positive thing.

What's the point of having a ME if patches to the ME affect the ways in which to choose my tactical settings?

To put it another way:

What is Football Manager supposed to be? A game about managing football players? Or a game about managing a MATCH ENGINE?

Oh, and one more thing: No, I am not going to sink another 100 hours into this piece of software to tell your corporate people what needs to be done in order to sell more copies next year.

Goodbye.

I'll make no attempt to defend the match engine but I will say that I have fundamentally been using the same two tactic in FM for around 4-5 years now without any noticeable changes. My tactics are simple, no frills etc and whilst some patches my affect my tactic a little in my favor and sometimes a little in the AI's favor it's something I've never really noticed in the grand scheme of things.

The game is really quite simplistic if you allow it to be however it also provides the tools for you to turn it into the most complex game in the world. My point is if you go about creating a complex tactic and then you're looking for flaws in the match engine then you'll find them and you'll most likely find them quite often but then you are creating tactics, movements and shapes that are unique and untested within the match engine. My question is though where is the line between ME bug and tactical flaw?

If like me you play a simple 442/451 created using the tactical creator then I'm using a formation that has most likely been tested for 1000s of hours and the match engine has been created to correctly represent these formations. And whilst I wont try and claim a few bizarre incidents end up in the game in the grand scheme of my season and my game they just don't make that much difference.

You are completely right that that is what happened in previous FMs, but I am not aware of anyone managing to do it with the previous patch, which was very well balanced. My early experiences of this patch make me think it is more plausible that it could happen this time, but this is what happens when SI is forced to reacted to the screaming snarling masses threatening to burn stuff down because their team lost a match or one of their players made a wrong decision during the course of a game.

Congratulations forum...

My only gripes about 13.1.3 was the amount of buggy, unrealistic goals and absolutely jaw-dropping mistakes, as well as the slow turning and reaction of central defenders making through-balls from the flanks (deep ones) a too powerful weapon. There were also a bit too many injuries.

The strange goals have now become rare, as they should be, and the slow turning has been fixed but to no avail since they turn quickly, run after the ball quickly but if the striker is meant to receive the ball at the end of that through-ball he will do so regardless of where the defender is - and that includes in front of him on top of the ball. So only a cosmetic change, really. I haven't seen any deep, wide through-balls lead to a goal. The amount of through-balls seems to have decreased overall.

So the problems with 13.1.3 were very real, and to many so serious they were game-breaking. I don't see how this ME will be improved for those using standard TC tactics, though. I use "weird" tactics that I create myself, but as far as I can see the AI is suffering from lack of team play and cohesion as well, and many of the complaints are very recognizable for me. It would be nice if someone from the SI testing team who is happy with the new patch uploads a youtube video or .pkm showing us what they were thinking they actually did improve regarding positioning and movement, because right now I don't see it!

Since the update I've noticed it takes significantly longer to setup the match ie when you first get into it and prior to team talks. It's fine once I'm in-game. This is on my old laptop which isn't particularly powerful and it's running on linux via wine, so feel free to ignore me, but it wasn't like this before the patch.

Edit - other than that very happy with the update :)

Congratulations forum...

Lol. just LOL, Mr. Fandel. Si releases Christmas patch every year, right? It is standard, they were not rushed into anything. Of course players put pressure on them because we bought an unplayable game at the day of the release and things keep improving very slightly. The game is bugged as hell. The previous ME update was so bugged, that at least half of my games were decided by them, maybe even more. And in my eyes the new ME is only slightly better, it fixed few leaks but introduced new ones - as usual. It is almost the same in terms of stupidness going on, it just looks different. But dont tell us SI were rushed into anything, the patches are a MUST. If anything, they were rushed into releasing the game but not by us but by Sega but this is not my problem.

I've played three more matches since my last post and 2 - 1 is still the highest score I've had, I'm not getting any of this high score line match issue and so far I'm not seeing any of the players running with the ball problem either. I don't like the way all my defenders surround the man with the ball though it leaves 3 or 4 other players totally un-marked. Up to now I've played 6 matches on the new update and I still haven't seen a great deal of difference from the last one, I'm using a very heavily edited data base, I'm playing in the 'North West Counties' Premier division, so far my game is still very 'playable' and I'm still enjoying it.....but I wish someone would stop these stupid full backs from blasting the ball up the field to no-one.

We have to be careful about early criticisms.

We may see uninterrupted runs+goals by one opposition player not because of the ME but because of your tactics. You have to consider the following:

1) Your Defensive Line might be too deep

2) Your closing down may be too deep

3) Your defender may have low anticipation (less than 15)

4) The opposition striker may have high pace (more than 15)

5) Your defender may have low pace (less than 15)

6) Your defender may have low marking and tackling (both less than 15)

7) Your defender may have low positioning (less than 15)

8) Your defender may be slow to react due to "zonal" marking setup and no "tight marking" Theoretically, if you don't tick "tight mark" your defender will naturally leave some space between their striker and himself, allowing quick strikers to just dribble past. Try "Zonal - tight mark" or "Man - tight mark".

All these factors can contribute to a "Maradona-like" one man show, in which a player just dribbles from half line and scores.

I had a similar problem but my problem was solved right away when I got a decent defender. My DC was letting strikers run past him on so many occasions, so I invested more money and replaced him with another defender with higher attributes. I have not faced the problem since then.

Alternatively, you can get a pacey Defensive Midfielder and get him to man-mark their main striker, which helps a lot.

With the animation point in my post....I do think I'm seeing less goals that look unrealistic. Some of the goals are very easy on the eye now, as in you can imagine them happening in a real match at the level of players you're watching, whereas if FM13 ME had a fault from day one it was that some of the goals just didn't 'look right' or were from the GK/Defenders were not acting as they would. I will add I'm not seeing insane dribbling from anyone though, if others are and I don't know why or why not that is.

I'm not one who bears much game breaker or maker on the animation side, but it's always good to see improvement as part of the 'experience' of being at a real game with your team.

Lol. just LOL, Mr. Fandel. Si releases Christmas patch every year, right? It is standard, they were not rushed into anything. Of course players put pressure on them because we bought an unplayable game at the day of the release and things keep improving very slightly. The game is bugged as hell. The previous ME update was so bugged, that at least half of my games were decided by them, maybe even more. And in my eyes the new ME is only slightly better, it fixed few leaks but introduced new ones - as usual. It is almost the same in terms of stupidness going on, it just looks different. But dont tell us SI were rushed into anything, the patches are a MUST. If anything, they were rushed into releasing the game but not by us but by Sega but this is not my problem.
I think it is quite obvious that I didn't mean the release of the patch itself was reactionary, just that the content, the changes that patch implemented, may have been influenced by the feedback they get on here, the overwhelming majority of which is total tripe.

I think it is quite obvious that I didn't mean the release of the patch itself was reactionary, just that the content, the changes that patch implemented, may have been influenced by the feedback they get on here, the overwhelming majority of which is total tripe.

I meant both the release and the content. Do you really think the previous version was satisfactory? Almost everything that i read in the feedback forum was spot on, the things that were going on in the ME were terrible. Perhaps you are okay with the game and you do not demand so much but there are others who do and it is perfectly fine. Oh, and do not tell me that SI just blindly followed the feedback and bugs forum, they more or less aacknowledged everything that was raised here. From the uber high amount of tackles to stupid goalkeeprs etc. They would not changed it in the update if it was not there.

I meant both the release and the content. Do you really think the previous version was satisfactory? Almost everything that i read in the feedback forum was spot on, the things that were going on in the ME were terrible. Perhaps you are okay with the game and you do not demand so much but there are others who do and it is perfectly fine.

I've enjoyed the game since it came out, without any real problems, i'm not wrong because i think this. The ME was not terrible, and still isnt terrible, its just new compared to the easy ME's we've had in previous games.

Wanting a perfect game is futile, it will never happen, wanting a game as good as possible is fine, but only when people aproach it in a calm manor. Clearly people have gone beyond reasonable recently.

I generally like the new update, only problems for me are

- perhaps a few too many goals, not as silly as some people are saying though

- Can't believe throw ins haven't been sorted out, they're an absolute joke

- The one I haven't heard people say, Im infuriated by when im losing with a minute to go my team still playing backwards, sometimes even smashing it back to the keeper when I'm in the opposition half. Maybe this wouldn't happen if I change to a more direct style but players should be clever enough to realize some urgency at critical times, even if it means making a lower percentage pass.

Do you really think the previous version was satisfactory?

Satisfactory? Absolutely.

Perfect? Absolutely not.

More of an enjoyable challenge than new ME? Seems so so far.

The new ME seems more catered to those who want to see hundreds of goals go in via wonder-tactics and those who want to have the option of their amazing players acting like gods instead of just good players. That may have been the majority opinion of the forums, but it doesn't mean it was right with regard to the pursuit of realistic football. For me the old ME needed the bugs ironed out, not turned into a mindless walkover.

Of course it is still early days for the new patch, so it may be my opinion will change, but this is how I feel so far.

EDIT - it is important to note I was also initially disappointed by the previous patch, up until I realised how incredibly well balanced (read - difficult) it was, bugs excepted. Although of course history shows my opinion could do a turnaround, and that in my opinion SI got it right last time despite me initially thinking the polar opposite, I feel more convinced of my sceptisicm this time...

#1318_4EVZ

This doesn't feel very good atm. I thought previous ME was bad but after lots of work I got my team working ok. But now I have played 9 games with this ME and so far there's 54 goals scored in these games, that's huge amount of goals maybe there is something that is not correct.

Satisfactory? Absolutely.

I wont argue with you about that because it is your opinion and I respect that and iam happy for you that you find it that way but i COMPLETELY DISAGREE with your statement that feedback was tripe and SI were rushed into changes that were not necessary. They would not mess with it if it was okay, the knew very well how bugged it was and they took action. Unfortunately there are limitations and this year I think we have reached the limit. Hopefully next year it will be better.

As previous patch I was struggling big time with my defence, albeit being a struggling side. I did have it setup as 1 covering and 1 defending but found that the one who was defending was still being drawn out of position so I reverted him to 'cover' which decreases his closing down and mentality, thus keeping him further back. Needless to say it worked.

What are your thoughts on the diagrams though? certainly not covering are they! Oh and whilst we're at it, what do you think about the positional play from the other players?

Before this patch i had one CB as cover - Zonal and the other defend - Man and they were solid as a rock; this is not working anymore in this save.

In the couple of games i played since the update i tried to tweak a bit the CB's: reducing closing in makes things worse if a player tries to run between them high in the field as they just try to keep up without going for the ball and end up outrunned, setting both to Zonal doesn't work either because they rush as a pair to any player with the ball.

I might try both CB's as cover tonight to see if it improves their behaviour.

The one thing i notice that i think is really exaggerated is related with players running with ball.

Wingers and wingbacks with RWO Often really run with ball often! :lol:

I've decided to place those players, in my tactic, with RWO mixed and the game really improved for my all team.

Apart from that, imo, this patch is a HUGE improvement!

It seems that Al isn't very good at defending. I think that at the end real tactical gurus will beat grab out of this game. I think previous ME was more challenging. Last two games I played it started to feel like previous games when playing with super tactic and just click continue until you're so bored of that you start reading books rather than playing this game (glad I visited book store yesterday). But have to play some more later and see what happens.

I am quite convinced myself that both patch tweaks were heavily influenced by the players feedback.

I was enjoying the game at launch until the first patch that ruin wing play for me, found a new style with different formation after weeks of tweaking and now i am starting from scratch as the team cannot play a simple passing game or defend properly anymore.

At least please make the updates optional.

Have to say i am very disappointed. :thdn:

Just patched up to 13.2. Prior to the patch i was top of the prem with 32 games played.

Going into the first game as usual, playing Man City away so apply a slightly more defensive approach (which has been quite successful)

After 30 minutes Man city have had 27 shots and i am 5-0 down.

I end up losing 9-0 - they have a modest 48 attempts on goal.

Tactic suicide

If this really is the case I'm glad I've switched to offline mode and not updated. I play defensive in nearly all of my games and win by grinding out results.

fix the throw ins already.....

How are you set up? I have my FB take them, my DM, CM and AM come short, and throwing short. It could be an interim solution for you as this option usually gives the thrower someone in three positions to throw to, behind, along side and in front of him.

s.

im playing as bayern, im UNDEFEATED in the season, but im far from happy. IA still scores once when got ONE chance very often, if im huge dominator, opponents keeper seems to be Oliver Kahn in his prime. players like Neymar miss goals for fun.

i repeat, im making this statement while im UNDEFEATED.

maybe the one who said that starting new game improve things would be right... just maaaaaaybe

This is the sort of thing you see when one vastly superior team with a very attacking tactic is playing against a team who are too scared to leave their own box.

Basically, if you play a more controlled style of play, you'll see a more realistic match in these circumstances.

If you have a player with the PPM 'Runs with ball' either often, down the wing or through the centre then basically this player is the exact type of player that thinks he is now Mr Messi.

Take a look at 'goal of the month' the last 2 goal of the months have shown 6 goals whereby they are solo Mr Messi goals dribbled from within there own half, going on some mazy run.

Fix the playground defending (the bunching as illustrated in pics above) and fix the Mr Messi dribbling and we are back on track.

The fluidity of attacking moves has been neglected due to the Mr Messi dribbling and the lone striker is not really getting the service he once was. So many times their is a defence splitting pass on, but instead Mr Messi dribbles on.

I have witnessed some high scoring games between AI teams, Chelsea vs man City was 6-5 to name just one. my games have been okay score-wise, but then again, I'm struggling in the bottom 4, but if I had top players then I would also be witnessing high scoring games just like the AI is.

I have been quite critical - but find it strange that some people are being critical yet some are finding it fine. Quick question, did those that are finding it fine start a new game? I have just continued a save and I am wondering if full affects may well only really kick in with a new game and those that are finding it a bit of a mess may be like me, continuing a save?

Only played one match Vs Napoli.

First half : tactics using 4-2-3-1 Formation like Real Madrdid, the result no realy good just draw 1-1

Second half : I changed the tactic to 4-3-3 Formation and my tactic tweaks realy realy realy working LOL

Full Time : Score 7-1 for me

I'm realy enjoy with this patch... thank you "SI Teams"

JuventusvNapoli_OverviewOverview_zps0542ea6e.jpg

I have been quite critical - but find it strange that some people are being critical yet some are finding it fine. Quick question, did those that are finding it fine start a new game? I have just continued a save and I am wondering if full affects may well only really kick in with a new game and those that are finding it a bit of a mess may be like me, continuing a save?

Carried on the same game i started on release day.

This is okay though as it's the genius himself :)

Who are you asking to upload, the other guy or me?

Whoever has examples of that happening, please.

(On a historical note, the reason for that bunching of defenders against Maradona is because they were just in a wall for a free kick).

I start a new game, and i'm really enjoying the new ME.

I basically agree with Keyer actually, i've seen a great improvement on DC positions and covering, and players in general are more aware of the ball position and are eager to catch or intercept it. Goalkeepers seems to do what they are hired for, but there are still some issues on distribution i think.

What i noticed also, in negative, is that there are too many runs with ball without any hassle or tackle, and games stats are too high in terms of shots, shots on goal and woodwork. Also i had the impression the corner exploit has came back. But i played few matches so far so let's see if i just need to refine my tactic.

@Sussex: i continued my save

Archived