Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

I don't no why all you lot are yet again having ago. Everyone said last update was rubbish and your losing and no one tackles or passes right. I think after playing 20 games now I really think there's been a good improvement with passing more better reading of the play and shooting is more accurate and controlled. The tacking is a joy now like two players will muscle it out to win the ball back the tactics are followed more in the ME than before. I don't get what people want when most of the dodgy stuff is cut out now.

I had no problems with the previous ME at all bar 1 fluke 50 yard punt goal as fiorentina, but that was in 4 seasons + of play

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to clarify nonleague - which statistic are you looking at in game to get the 10.6 figure?

His last 6 matches has given runs of: 12, 14, 18, 0, 10, 8 dribbles per match. Avg last 6 matches is 10.33

I am virtually at the end of my season and only the last 6 matches include this patch. I loaded up a different save and also got high stats with players with those PPMs. That particular player avg is 4.88 in the league, if you look at the players stats for average dribbles per match, but that is mainly for patch 13.1.3 and even that is excessively high in comparison to real life.

Those two articles I provided links too, clarify that even the best players in the world at dribbling are having no more than 4 dribbles per match, namely Eden Hazard with 3.8.

Since i set RWB to "sometimes" to my wingers and wingbacks i stop seeing the "messi-runs".

Did you guys try that?

Because, wingers and wingbacks with attack duty have, by default, RWB set to often.

Or, try the shout "work the ball" and "play through defence", this could work to.

Starting shouts at home : Push higher up / Get stuck in / pass into space / play wider / play through defence /look for overlap / get ball forward / exploit the flanks.

Gareth Bale Run past his opponent 28 times, and Costa 22 times. Bale has an average of 9.7 dribbles per game for the season (16 games so far) the majority in 13.2.

Edit : again I don't know if this is ME or non ME related, but average rating seem to be swinging wildly based on very little. Siggurdson just got a 4.2 after missing a penalty despite finishing 90 minutes with a 92% pass completion rate.

Not getting any better. I have played the man city match 6 times now, and 5 times I have had more injuries than there are allowed substitutions, 3 times costing me the lead. The only exception was when my previously unbeaten, possession tactic suddenly lost 7-0 basically because they have strikers good at dribbling who become unstoppable waltzing through my entire team, who stand around like traffic cones or chase around after the ball-carrier in clumps.

I tried another save and instantly beat Sunderland 8-1.

After my brief optimism last last night after a few games, I have reverted to my original opinion that in fixing some previous irritations, the latest update has added more fundamental issues that make the game significantly worse. Now the outcome of a game seems primarily dependent on flaws within the ME rather than tactical balance, and harder fixtures are not rendered more difficult by realistic means, but by comedy defending, unstoppable dribbling, far post tap ins to empty nets and multiple injuries. These are all things that would happen on occasion in reality and its great that the possibility exists, but to have all of the above in repeated plays with different tactics and personnel sort of renders the game pointless.

As someone said, this ME update has turned the game into a matter of combating the ME or exploiting it, and if you do the latter its records shattered a kimbo. I am reduced to trying to tweak my tactic to flood wherever the opposition dribblers are and trying to work out ways to attack that don't exploit the ME, but are still cohesive. Its an interesting challenge on one level, but in the wider context is utterly farcical.

I was one of those who really enjoyed the last ME and defended it... BUT this ME feels so broke, dribbles are so OTT, scoring has gone from one extreme to another, i dont feel like i have any control...

I know its not rec but im going back to old ME :(

Hi Guys,we are looking into the issues, can people who are finding the extreme examples of hammering sides, please upload their save games to our FTP for me please. How to do that can be found here http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/319072

Hi Michael, just to be sure, when you say hammering sides, do you mean the examples where there are a high number of shots on goal?

• SI Staff
Hi Michael, just to be sure, when you say hammering sides, do you mean the examples where there are a high number of shots on goal?

I'm looking if you've had a run of results that were 7-0, 8-1 etc if you could upload your save games for me. If you'd had a run of games where your team is also always getting crazy high numbers of shots, please give me them as well.

I'm looking if you've had a run of results that were 7-0, 8-1 etc if you could upload your save games for me. If you'd had a run of games where your team is also always getting crazy high numbers of shots, please give me them as well.

I will upload a game for you later this evening, and then get back to you.

I just played Man Utd and I knew I had nothing to fear whenever Nani touched the ball, because he'd just do a crazy run and fire off a shot that missed by 10 feet.

Well, at least SI got Nani performing like his real-life counterpart... :rolleyes:

This is just an endless loop. From zero tackless to too much and back to almost zero, from too few injuries to too many, from too many shots to zero and now we are back to shotfests. I know that it must be hard to make ME but c´mon guys!The ME has fundamental flaws, it cant be fixed during the lifespan of this years edition. Simply put: You screwed it, SI. This year is fail.

Just to throw in another voice. I'm finding that hockey type scores 3-7, 2-6, 9-1 and the like are becoming more common. Long shots seem to be increasing to no end (Even with all players having them turned to never). Through balls seem to have been nerfed, in that they simply don't happen anymore - and the only way any goals seem to be scored now is in mazy messi-esque runs or crossed balls.

It's not quite unplayable, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating.

I'm not trying to be snarky but how does this get past testing?! Do the developers test their own work? That's not a good idea. Also going from releasing a broken game to stabalising it, to breaking it again is infuriating. I think i'm done after this year.

Or perhaps some are like me who signed up for the forums when they started, have bought every game SI has released since it was just two brothers in their bedroom, and only contribute when I feel moved to do so, because apart from when free-lance work dries up I don't have time to get involved with endless discussions that are of no interest to me?

Also this is the first patch I have experienced where my experience as a player/consumer has fundamentally changed immediately.

Well put, you could be describing me. I think the majority of people that play this game are like us or simply never come to the forums at all.

LOL and I just wonder about all the people who have no idea about this forum or cant speak English. They play the game, than suddenly it updates and they are screwed. Must feel like a supernatural force.

A lot of people post on localised communities, or simply don't care and enjoy whatever SI throw at them. The game cost £19 or something, I would guess a lot of people simply play it , like/hate it and move on.

How do SI drown out the noise ? It must be hard to tell who has genuine issues as opposed to who has bad tactics (and of course who loves the ME because they have 'tweaked' to exploit the newest ME and who is enjoying actual working parts)

That being said, this year has maybe been a little worse than usual with the ME flip-flopping from one extreme to another.

How do SI drown out the noise ? It must be hard to tell who has genuine issues as opposed to who has bad tactics (and of course who loves the ME because they have 'tweaked' to exploit the newest ME and who is enjoying actual working parts).

The biggest issues this year are/were obviously bugs and not tactics related. Players running into posts, fullbacks backing of wingers, goalkeepers unable to handle the tiniest ammount of pressure, lack of closing down and tackles, throwins that go straight to opposition. Actually, if the devs are not blind, the dont need any ME related feedback forum. The flaws are obvious.

On the plus side, midfielder positioning does feel a lot better now, and the passing is far more fluid/cohesive. However, the amount of long shots from certain sides can be insane...played in the community shield against man city and lost 2-3. They had 3 CCCs and 48 shots. 25 of those shots were long shots, and about another 10 of those 48 were from rebounds that fell back into their possession after one of the long shots was spilled. 2/3 goals were scored this way (and also made up all 3 of their CCCs. Incidentally, my keeper finished the match with a rating of 7.7). Bear in mind this has been the only match I've seen this happen in so far. I've seen quite a few people mention Man City alongside a large amount of shots though, so I doubt it's too isolated an incident?

I personally, have managed to avoid seeing crazy stats for my own team (arsenal) by playing with long shots and RWB set to rarely, however, this isn't going to stop the AI from setting up with runs/long shots/creative freedom...meaning you're kinda damned either way. To top it off, closing down doesn't seem to be the best option to lower the shots due to the weird bunching of players. Likewise, tight marking seems to exacerbate the impossible to tackle runs problem (players being turned far too easily and then left for dead). Simply put. Against a team that has good dribblers and players that can shoot from range, coupled with a manager that lets them do what they want, you're a tad on the stuck side.

My big problem is that I was just starting to enjoy it. Had my tactics down and I was doing well. All of a sudden the rules change! It's ridiculous.

Yup, the few bugs didn#t really annoy me. I fully enjoyed the game. Not too hard, not too easy. And the new Non-ME Fixes are awesome. But the ME-fixes ruin it for me right now. I'm still glad that i bought the game. Already spent 250 hours with it.

A lot of people post on localised communities, or simply don't care and enjoy whatever SI throw at them. The game cost £19 or something, I would guess a lot of people simply play it , like/hate it and move on.

How do SI drown out the noise ? It must be hard to tell who has genuine issues as opposed to who has bad tactics (and of course who loves the ME because they have 'tweaked' to exploit the newest ME and who is enjoying actual working parts)

That being said, this year has maybe been a little worse than usual with the ME flip-flopping from one extreme to another.

You'd hope the people with genuine issues actually took 2 minutes to post PKMs/saved games in the respective areas of the bug forum.

Is there any way to roll back the version?

I'm not liking this, you've got 4 players chasing one man, my CMs constantly swapping sides during opponents' attacks, my two strikers standing a yard from each other and on and on. Not happy with this and I will probably not buy it next year.

For people who find their tactical success varies greatly between different patch versions, I'd suggest reading this thread by wwfan, who outlines nicely how to set up a tactic that should remain strong regardless of patches:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

I must be the only person who has a tactic that works then.

I'm enjoying the patch, actually, I enjoyed the last patch too. Works fine for me.

Or maybe that's just because I don't critique (or look for) the game with a very fine tooth comb?

Great work SI :thup:

Update totally trashed my game. I thought 13.1.3 was pretty decent in balance. Now I'm leaking goals at the back like a bad joke. Sorry but let me let this off my chest first.

I really dislike game developers who don't patch broken games. But I equally really dislike game developers who thinks it is ok to treat the general gaming public as mass beta testers and keep tweaking things. I hope SI gets the point here I've been playing FM since '97 and maybe I'm being a grumpy old man but these things gets on a lot of people's nerves.

Now in the hopes of giving some constructive feedback.

(1) I have 2 CD and 2 FB, FBs are on ATK duty. In 13.1.3 my FB would run with ball up until they meet my wingers who are also on ATK duty. Now the wingers for some reason prefer to cut inside more than before and my FB would become the new 'wingers' and occasionally run past my wingers with the ball. This opens up a massive hole at the back when the attack fails as my FB is on the wrong side of the pitch. In 13.1.3 this didn't happen as the FB would prefer to stay more towards the back and the wingers do their jobs properly.

(2) My wingers when they rarely actually try to get past the opposing team and cross the ball would completely fail to cross the ball even though their crossing is at 15. I've seen the ball flying towards the back of the pitch and I've seen a 'cross' that was actually a tap which moved the ball about 1 meter away. I now rarely see a proper crossing. (at the very least the chances of a proper cross has reduced significantly)

(3) It's become much harder to attack in the new patch. My wingers when they do get possession would be closed down by 4!!! different opposing team players from all directions. This didn't happen in 13.1.3. This sometimes creates an opportunity to pass to the opposite flank and the player there would be completely unmarked but rarely happens on a crowded field. To me it seems illogical. I once saw in the new patch BOTH my CD chase down on the same guy approaching from the flanks which left me completely unguarded in the centre and the opposing team player just passed the ball to the center and it's a free goal. I expect this may happen on a completely amateur school ground game but come on. This is the premier league, all my CDs are set to zonal marking btw, but I expect they would have more intelligence than to chase down the same guy and leave the centre without players.

(4) Midfielders seems to be doing less to defend when the team is not in possession. I have a BWM and a DLP along with an AM (set to ATK) in midfield that has decent tackling and marking, the DLP is set to zonal and BWM is man marking. The BWM is doing great in the new patch but the DLP defensive ability seems to have become non-existant/ineffective and the AM is nowhere in sight anymore. In 13.1.3 at least the AM also goes back and join the defence when the team isn't in possession and can quite occasionally intercept.

I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with the new patch, but as others have said. This new patch to the ME seems broken in some ways.

I have had games in the new patch with my team having 60% possession with decent players using 1 striker, 2 wingers, 1 AM, 2 CM and 2 FB contributing to the attacking phase but COMPLETELY fails to get past the final 3rd and the opposing team time and time again manages to get past mine and my games now have many shots at goal but ridiculously low number are actually on target from the likes of Leonard Kweuke, I don't even need to say anything about midfields. I have to say perhaps 13.1.3 was a little TOO accurate seeing as I had BWM/DMs with scoring goals quite a lot in the old patch, but this new patch seems to have shifted to the other side of the post if you get what I mean.

I will also say that team talk is broke / ultra confusing. There seems to be a HUGE amount of 'delayed' reactions. I almost always say 'I have faith in you' individually to players, they now never react when I say it to them directly in the new patch but only react AFTER I say the same thing to a team mate. Which basically means the last guy I say that to NEVER gets a reaction.

I was playing this game for the past 2 weeks almost non-stop quite happily, now I can't play a game or two without getting frustrated. Watching the full match has become a painful experience. Truthfully, I would like to know when you guys will stop tweaking the ME so I can play a proper game without being forcefully affected by a forced Steam update. I can't afford to waste weeks of my time playing a game then only to find the entire dynamics has changed and realise what a total waste of time it has been.

I'm enjoying the patch, actually, I enjoyed the last patch too. Works fine for me.

Or maybe that's just because I don't critique (or look for) the game with a very fine tooth comb?

Read the thread, most people don't complain that their tactics aren't working. The complain about scoring too much goals or an incredible amounts of dribbles+crosses and some Defense errors (5 players marking 1 men)

Or maybe because you are happy that you win and do not care how you win. You know, there people who are not happy when they win because of ME exploit or bug.

I will also say that team talk is broke / ultra confusing. There seems to be a HUGE amount of 'delayed' reactions. I almost always say 'I have faith in you' individually to players, they now never react when I say it to them directly in the new patch but only react AFTER I say the same thing to a team mate. Which basically means the last guy I say that to NEVER gets a reaction.

I think I remember reading somewhere that this was intentional. It's the reason I don't tend to spam every sub with the same "I have faith" line...more often than not it fails :D

I'm not liking this, you've got 4 players chasing one man, my CMs constantly swapping sides during opponents' attacks, my two strikers standing a yard from each other and on and on. Not happy with this and I will probably not buy it next year.

No.

For people who find their tactical success varies greatly between different patch versions, I'd suggest reading this thread by wwfan, who outlines nicely how to set up a tactic that should remain strong regardless of patches:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

I would love to hear an unbiased view from the so called tactical geniuses as to how this ME is affecting their games. They were quick off the blocks with 13.1.3 to defend it saying if your tactics are sound you'll be fine. It's been almost 24 hours and not a peep...

a lot of chances/goal scoring opportunities are now created from the central midfield area. My midfielders will dribble and shoot or take long shots, and in most games, my striker would have less shots than my central midfielder (on AP). Now, I thought I just have to finetune it a little, so I changed the long shots to rare, and yet it is still happening. My striker, who was previously averaging 8.2, is now averaging 6.8 after the patch.

No fancy tactics or anything, just logical tactics of 5 midfielders supplying the ball to my super striker, and now they seem to take pleasure in not passing the ball to him.

For me now there seems no logic any more to the game

It seems SI decided they wanted a new ME and threw it at the game partly finished and left us to test it and bug report so they can work on it ready for next years release .

The whole ME seems gimmicky and it soon becomes obvious that if you take the lead then the AI will suddenly decide that the opposition will become twice as good and promptly waltz down the field and score . A lot of the time changing tactics has no effect whatsoever and its way too random now on which teams will play like the top teams and which play like relegation teams .

The ME spelt the end for CM a few years ago and this seems like its going in a very similar direction . Fifa took over the crown from Pro Evo on the console and i can see it doing the same with soccer management unless SI step up their game

Use a pre-patch restore point if you're on vista/windows 7?

Update totally trashed my game. I thought 13.1.3 was pretty decent in balance. Now I'm leaking goals at the back like a bad joke. Sorry but let me let this off my chest first.

I really dislike game developers who don't patch broken games. But I equally really dislike game developers who thinks it is ok to treat the general gaming public as mass beta testers and keep tweaking things. I hope SI gets the point here I've been playing FM since '97 and maybe I'm being a grumpy old man but these things gets on a lot of people's nerves.

Now in the hopes of giving some constructive feedback.

(1) I have 2 CD and 2 FB, FBs are on ATK duty. In 13.1.3 my FB would run with ball up until they meet my wingers who are also on ATK duty. Now the wingers for some reason prefer to cut inside more than before and my FB would become the new 'wingers' and occasionally run past my wingers with the ball. This opens up a massive hole at the back when the attack fails as my FB is on the wrong side of the pitch. In 13.1.3 this didn't happen as the FB would prefer to stay more towards the back and the wingers do their jobs properly.

With wingers and fullbacks on attack, this is bound to happen, generally speaking, you should have either fullbacks OR wingers on attack to be effective on the wings, or at least keep it wide and make sure wingers are set to hug touchline and take creative freedom down. Incidently, i've always found that having one fullback on attack means I need to keep the other on defend or support to be stable at the back and stop leaking goals.. this goes for all area's. i.e one mid on attack, means another playing defensively etc... keeps the lines tight and steady's the ship

(2) My wingers when they rarely actually try to get past the opposing team and cross the ball would completely fail to cross the ball even though their crossing is at 15. I've seen the ball flying towards the back of the pitch and I've seen a 'cross' that was actually a tap which moved the ball about 1 meter away. I now rarely see a proper crossing. (at the very least the chances of a proper cross has reduced significantly)

(3) It's become much harder to attack in the new patch. My wingers when they do get possession would be closed down by 4!!! different opposing team players from all directions. This didn't happen in 13.1.3. This sometimes creates an opportunity to pass to the opposite flank and the player there would be completely unmarked but rarely happens on a crowded field. To me it seems illogical. I once saw in the new patch BOTH my CD chase down on the same guy approaching from the flanks which left me completely unguarded in the centre and the opposing team player just passed the ball to the center and it's a free goal. I expect this may happen on a completely amateur school ground game but come on. This is the premier league, all my CDs are set to zonal marking btw, but I expect they would have more intelligence than to chase down the same guy and leave the centre without players.

(4) Midfielders seems to be doing less to defend when the team is not in possession. I have a BWM and a DLP along with an AM (set to ATK) in midfield that has decent tackling and marking, the DLP is set to zonal and BWM is man marking. The BWM is doing great in the new patch but the DLP defensive ability seems to have become non-existant/ineffective and the AM is nowhere in sight anymore. In 13.1.3 at least the AM also goes back and join the defence when the team isn't in possession and can quite occasionally intercept.

I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with the new patch, but as others have said. This new patch to the ME seems broken in some ways.

I have had games in the new patch with my team having 60% possession with decent players using 1 striker, 2 wingers, 1 AM, 2 CM and 2 FB contributing to the attacking phase but COMPLETELY fails to get past the final 3rd and the opposing team time and time again manages to get past mine and my games now have many shots at goal but ridiculously low number are actually on target from the likes of Leonard Kweuke, I don't even need to say anything about midfields. I have to say perhaps 13.1.3 was a little TOO accurate seeing as I had BWM/DMs with scoring goals quite a lot in the old patch, but this new patch seems to have shifted to the other side of the post if you get what I mean.

I was playing this game for the past 2 weeks almost non-stop quite happily, now I can't play a game or two without getting frustrated. Watching the full match has become a painful experience. Truthfully, I would like to know when you guys will stop tweaking the ME so I can play a proper game without being forcefully affected by a forced Steam update. I can't afford to waste weeks of my time playing a game then only to find the entire dynamics has changed and realise what a total waste of time it has been.

There is a setting in steam to switch of automatic updating...

The attacking issue.. this seems to go against everything everyone else is experiencing... the update seems to have made attacking overly effective with too many runs and dribbles and shots on goal..

People saying you have to change your tactics simply are not taking some things into account. You would only have to change your tactics if you are using tactics that generally don't 'suit' match situations. If gamers learn how to use the 'Strategy' reality in the game, then you would not have to change anything at all. Then you would be in a situation where your tactics might work a little better due to the 'values' in the ME being more balanced...

I have no interest in learning "how to use the 'strategy' reality in the game". If I have to go counter because the opponent pushes forward, or x because opponent does y, I will simply stop playing the game. The amount of time I am prepared to click a red or green button based on a traffic light shifting is very very limited. That is not the game I bought.

I would love to hear an unbiased view from the so called tactical geniuses as to how this ME is affecting their games. They were quick off the blocks with 13.1.3 to defend it saying if your tactics are sound you'll be fine. It's been almost 24 hours and not a peep...

I havent changed a single thing since the update, hasnt affected the way my tactics perform in anyway at all. I still perform to the same level i did before.

My tactic has continued to work as normal since the patch. After seeing some of the matches mentioned in here I'm actually disappointed my team haven't started scoring more so I'm going to do some playing around tonight to see if I can increase the goals.

It does appear to have turned one Man Utd player into an absolute beast though, but then he does have 20 pace, acceleration, technique, dribbling and finishing, so it's kind of expected.

And yes. It's a player I sold 10 seasons ago at the age of 19 thinking he'd never make it...

ME looks a lot better but there is something that bothers me a huge deal, it makes me rage!

What's with the long shots?! My shouts always involve "play through defense", "work ball into box", i put all individual instructions to long shots - rarely and ALL my players do is shoot from range! most of the times they have so many passing options and they throw this ridiculous long shot to the stands. this is infuriating!! it really is! 15+ shots every game, 3 or 4 on target because of this!!

No.

Cant' speak for anyone else, but my setups are still very sound.

The issue around dribbling still needs to be looked at, i can counteract, but the AI doesnt, leading to very high scoring games in my experience.

That aside, loving the huge variety of goals being scored.

I have no interest in learning "how to use the 'strategy' reality in the game". If I have to go counter because the opponent pushes forward, or x because opponent does y, I will simply stop playing the game. The amount of time I am prepared to click a red or green button based on a traffic light shifting is very very limited. That is not the game I bought.

Take this as you will, but you're not help to anyone.

If you are looking for a game where you can pick 1 tactic, pick your 11 best players and do nothing else, Fm isn't for you, and never has been.

There are 3 posts or so with people happy , the rest are pointing out the same issues. I know you're here to firefight, we all know the position you take on any and all ME issues, but short of a game breaker , SI won't patch, we both know that.

You can't blame people for getting frustrated with how this years ME has been handled.

The coming weekend will see the ME get a good work out , lots of people finishing up for Christmas etc. I guess time will tell.

well said geezer,couldnt have put it better myself

If you are looking for a game where you can pick 1 tactic, pick your 11 best players and do nothing else, Fm isn't for you, and never has been.

To be fair, it's not his job to help anyone. He was simply pointing out a major flaw in the game he BOUGHT!

Another thing, why should I have to change my tactics to suit the new ME?! I was doing alright with them before the update. If that's the case the game is pointless! It could change at any point and i'll have to start a new game for every update and learn the new "rules" (flaws).

......whatever you instruct your players they dont do it anyway,so dunno what you are on about

I havent changed a single thing since the update, hasnt affected the way my tactics perform in anyway at all. I still perform to the same level i did before.

So you don't:

- have increased shots

- have crazy scores in all competitions

- have Messi like runs

- have grouping defenders

etc?

If your tactic fails to work when a new ME is released, it will usually because it was (probably unintentionally) using a weakness in the engine which was addressed in the patch.

wwfan's thread, that I linked above, shows you how to set up a tactic that will work across any match engine version.

Some tactics will be affected and some will not...that seems to be the nature of what the new ME has introduced in terms of its "quirks". You don't need to be clairvoyant to see that the new ME has shifted players' inclination a little closer towards shooting. You'll probably also notice that certain players will also run with the ball a lot more, which again, depending on how reliant you were on this pre-patch, it may or may not change the way your tactic plays out.The one thing I can say for sure though, is I have never seen a team hit nearly 50 shots against me until this patch. Suffice to say, a certain mixture of stats/instructions seem to interacting in bizarre ways and amplifying these aforementioned quirks

Archived