Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol...I should put an updated results page now...its so sweet...all i do is "hey see that dude over that..the one that dribbles like Messi, now go tackle him HARD'..woot and Liverpool leave Marston Road with their tails between their legs as they endure 3 woodwork cracking attempts. Ah tis sweet to turn things around and go unbeaten in 9 matches since I went "bilardo"!

Will make that adjustment myself and will also try the removal of stay on feet as that was one of my shouts also. Glad you've got your season up and running!

I must be the only person who has a tactic that works then.

I'm enjoying the patch, actually, I enjoyed the last patch too. Works fine for me.

Or maybe that's just because I don't critique (or look for) the game with a very fine tooth comb?

Great work SI :thup:

Agreed. The last ME update was A-OK in my book aside from only a small number of minor problems & this one seemed to have ironed those out. Of course, there will be some more bugs that need ironed out, but it's really looking like SI are on the right track. Really don't get the people who are saying that this has been unplayable. It's still a very fun game.

Agreed. The last ME update was A-OK in my book aside from only a small number of minor problems & this one seemed to have ironed those out. Of course, there will be some more bugs that need ironed out, but it's really looking like SI are on the right track. Really don't get the people who are saying that this has been unplayable. It's still a very fun game.

I'm divided on the update myself. As I've stated earlier, it's actually made the midfield feel better. But one of the HUGE downsides is the dribbling now combined with the decision making when it comes to challenging the ball...surely you must have noticed this? And if you have, you can't only consider it a minor problem?

So you don't:

- have increased shots

- have crazy scores in all competitions

- have Messi like runs

- have grouping defenders

etc?

I don't have any of these things happening either. I've had players going on runs down the wing, cutting inside, and either shooting or crossing it, but that's happened since the start of the game.

That said, I'm still in my 2nd season (I have multiple saves on the go, very rarely play more than 7/8 seasons with one save to maintain realism) on my main save, and haven't altered anything with the editor. I still wonder if the people having these problems are many years in the future and/or have altered certain aspects of the main database along the way. Maybe that has nothing to do with it, but you'd think if the above scenarios were genuine flaws, everyone would be experiencing them.

HAve no one even considered match fitness? If my player isnt fit for a match, meaning having bellow 79% match fit he will most deffently not play above rating 7.0.

Sure in training matches they do get more then rating 7.0, but in a match that actually counts, as in a league match or cup match.

Try and play a match with all your squad with match fit 100%. :) And see how well your tactic works. If you now do get the basics of creating tactics correct.

If you tweak to much, you will simple "crash" the tactic and you will notice "holes" in it leaving you letting in so called stupid goals and what not.

Also another thing ive learned lately, if you keep an eye on the assisstent managers feedback of the statistics you will be able to adjust the shouts accorently so your players avoid playing bad. Simple, but still as effective. :)

Started a new game and the dribbling issue is definitely there along with a sadly inept ability to defend. Ramires (dribbling stat of 12) was constantly dribbling straight through the middle with no one bothering to get near him and I was just lucky he is crap at shooting!!! Seriously guys, I can accept it to an extent when Gareth Bale does it but a player with a dribbling stat of 12???

i dont understand why they have increased the number of shots. the number of shots is perfect on the 13.1.2 patch. the only thing that needed to be fixed was increase the accuracy of longshots. i know british football is full of teams that dont know how to defend and thus have 10 shots at least. but the ME must be based on global football, not british football. i have seen many games with only 2,3 shots on goal from both teams in a match.

i am still hesitating if i should update to the new patch after reading some posts. which one is better in general?

also it is funny how they boast that they can now easily release patches through steam, yet when there is an obvious bug that requires a hotfix( such as everyone being messi) they are nowhere to be found and we have to wait 2-3 months in the hope that it will be fixed.

I don't know why people update the game mid season. Its so stupid. If your in the middle of a season and you're having a good season why risk messing your season up by downloading the patch? Chances are it messes with your tactics, normally does for me anyway. Nowadays I only update to a new patch once I've finished my current season therefore giving me the chance to create new tactics for the new patch. That or I just start a new game.
yeah thanks for that but when you have steam it updates automatically is there a way you can roll back the patch as having real problems now thanks mate

I'm playing the same tactic I played pre-patch no changes whatsoever. This tactic was built using advice from wwfan and Cleon so i was pretty confident it was fundamentally sound. I'm doing better result wise post patch. Played 9 won 7 drawn 2. My biggest win was 5-1 against a team I should hammer. I haven't seen any cricket scores for me or in the AI controlled games.

Since the patch there have been premier league 6 weekends with the biggest scorelines being 5-1, 5-1, 6-1, 4-1, 3-2, 3-0. The hammerings were all top four teams beating bottom 4 teams at home.

I feel the patch has been a success certainly in improving attacking play. I haven't seen any dribbles which have ended in stunning goals. Plenty of players running with the ball but coming up against defenders and having to turn and pass to continue the move. This is from both my players and the AI. Pacy strikers do seem to make defenders lose their heads as a Benfica striker tore me apart and scored 2 in a home tie against me but I use OI's on him away and he barely got a kick so you can stop these things. I had visions of many a Liverpool-Newcastle game with a certain M Owen tearing the Toon back line apart.

The downsides.

World class fullbacks with a simple pass down the line hold the ball until they have a man on then dribble into their own box only to be tackled and the striker gets a shot away. there also seems to be way to many under hit back passes by CD's and MC's for strikers to run onto. I accept these do happen but not when the play in question has no pressure and passing option available. To turn away from these and pass back is not expected.

Keepers still do not follow instructions for passing. Again I accept a long punt when under pressure or looking for a quick break but continuous punting the ball long when set for defenders to collect is causing Havoc.

Pressing is much better however there are many instances as already mentioned where 3-4 players go after the same man leaving huge gaps for free passes. Another downside of the pressing seems to be we have lost the ability to tackle again. on many instances I am watch player 2 players close down 1 man then they stand and wait for him to pass. If 2 players are going to press one man then i would expect one to cover and one to tackle.

On one other note, Patching via steam. I would have preferred not to have patched yet until i was sure I would be confident with this patch. However despite having FM13 set not to automatically update it still did. I cannot keep steam in an offline mode as I play other games online which is what caused me to patch up. I'm not advocating SI stop using steam I have many a game on their platform and find it very good. Whether the auto patching of my game was a steam issue or an SI issue as steam will remain the chosen method of installing FM if there is a way to stop auto patching in the future that I would like. Non of my other games auto patch when I selected the option not to do this.

Keep it going SI your getting there.

Yeah I'm also getting an incredible amount of long shots. Everyone on my team is set to 'rarely'. I've reduced the amount of 'creative freedom' of my attacking players. They have other options and passes available. But I'm getting 7-8 long shots per game.

My second criticism is that goalkeepers are throwing the ball straight out of play despite the full back being in acres of space. They just throw it in from of them.

Other than that and possibly throw in takers occasionally going temporarily blind it's a decent engine. Definitely needs much more work though and I'm sure if the SI testers play it over Xmas they will certainly see it too.

I'm sorry about not having the time to read through all seven previous pages...but was any fix implemented to lower the game ratings of defensive players when they commit horrendous mistakes that are currently not recognized as such?

The thing most responsible for raising my blood pressure is when my defenders are all alone in space and then perform a backward-drifting jump and then head a certain goal kick ball over my byline. One of my CB's (finished game with a 7.4) did that twice in my previous match with Corinthian Casuals. They scored on both resulting corners and probably tried to give him the gameball after the whistle blew. Not a one time incident, it happens in every game...although we are usually better than that at defending corners.

I don't know anything about coding and whether it would be an easy fix to make the defenders stop doing that, or if the situation improves once I reach higher leagues and the decision making/composure of my squad is hopefully better.

I mostly just want the defender's rating to suffer, so that I can chew him out after the game, rather than subjecting my dogs to foul language and nearby loose objects to breakage.

I got to hand it to you guys. You have succeeded in making a game that accurately simulates the real stress levels of football managers. And though I haven't played that much, I'm loving it.

i dont understand why they have increased the number of shots. the number of shots is perfect on the 13.1.2 patch. the only thing that needed to be fixed was increase the accuracy of longshots. i know british football is full of teams that dont know how to defend and thus have 10 shots at least. but the ME must be based on global football, not british football. i have seen many games with only 2,3 shots on goal from both teams in a match.

i am still hesitating if i should update to the new patch after reading some posts. which one is better in general?

also it is funny how they boast that they can now easily release patches through steam, yet when there is an obvious bug that requires a hotfix( such as everyone being messi) they are nowhere to be found and we have to wait 2-3 months in the hope that it will be fixed.

2-3 months? The game was out on 2nd November IIRC and we have had 4 patches, so thats a pretty big hole in your argument there. And how do you know they are not working on one right now?

Started a new game and the dribbling issue is definitely there along with a sadly inept ability to defend. Ramires (dribbling stat of 12) was constantly dribbling straight through the middle with no one bothering to get near him and I was just lucky he is crap at shooting!!! Seriously guys, I can accept it to an extent when Gareth Bale does it but a player with a dribbling stat of 12???

This. Just finished a match against Napoli. I ended up winning 0-2, but the telling stat belongs to Maggio. They set up in a 3-6-1 with Maggio and Behrami as wide midfielders, and an advanced box in the middle. Obviously this put a hell of a lot of pressure on me in my own third, and I constantly saw 3-4 of their players rushing my goalie from kicks, which saw quite a lot of interceptions in the middle of the park. More often than not, they were passed on to maggio, who would go on a crazy run down the byline, drawing both my CB (whyyyyy) and LB (who refused to make a challenge every single time) towards him before tossing it into the box, or (fortunately less often) cutting inside and dribbling through my dm/cbs before shooting. He finished the game with a sub-six rating due to only completing something like 4/18 or so crosses. However, he also finished the match with 15 runs. Now bear in mind Maggio has a dribbling stat of 13 and 7 flair, should he really have succeeded as many time as he did? It's not even as if my left back was being caught out of position...he and whoever went to pick maggio up just seemed to outrightly refuse to make a tackle.

Running some tests in a new season as manager of Man City in holiday mode.

Screenshots as of 1st Jan 2013

167mfx4.png

2pyx9fk.png

u5usy.png

2sb0hur.png

Dribbling: Averages are far too high. dyer with over 15 per match just as an example. In Spain the average is 4.89 for Mr Messi and in Scotland the average is 3.97. Why so high in England?

Tackling: Again, way too high. In no uncertain terms should they be getting anywhere near what this is showing. I raised this previous patch in the bugs forum, obviously they did not fix this.

Distance Covered: The average Premier League player runs 7 miles per match. 8-9 miles is simply way too high in these results. Interestingly, in Spain the avg distance is 6.2 miles for the top runner and in Scotland it's 6.3 miles. Again, why so high in England?

Results for Man City: 12 clean sheets in 17 matches, quite impressive, realistic? I'll let you be the judge of that. Lose 6-0 Away to Barcelona and then the very next match hammer Chelsea 7-0. Realistic? again, I'll let you be the judge of that. Chelsea had 6 bookings, 1 sent off in the 76 min, but the score was already 7-0 so there was nothing to make this crazy scoreline. We had 21 shots, 15 on target, 10 long shots, chelsea had 11 shots, 4 on target, 8 were long.

messi scored 5 goals in the 6-0 drubbing, Barcelona had 22 shots, 18 on target, 5 long shots, to our 2 shots and 0 on target. Messi also had 21 dribbles that match.

Just these simple tests show some glaringly obvious flaws within the game. It really does mystify me as to how the elite at SI Towers did not spot any of these out of proportion statistics.

Full season results to follow...

Just wanted to highlight the importance of this post. Thanks for taking the time and posting your findings. Hopefully SI takes notice of this.

Are all the people who are experiencing big scores and insane dribbling at big clubs? Or have players who are fantastic dribblers?

At Forest my score lines have been 0-1, 0-0, 2-0, 0-0 and 3-2. Not seeing any insane dribbling either? Just wondering whether its just in the big leagues with the big clubs.

Are all the people who are experiencing big scores and insane dribbling at big clubs? Or have players who are fantastic dribblers?

At Forest my score lines have been 0-1, 0-0, 2-0, 0-0 and 3-2. Not seeing any insane dribbling either? Just wondering whether its just in the big leagues with the big clubs.

Isnt it normal for a player with 20 dribbling to actually perfect dribbling? or dribble often for that sake. Tell me if im mistaken, but 20 is the top stat correct, so if a player

got 20 in dribbling shouldnt this mean he actually will dribble often or succeed often when running with ball? Just sayin, watch the stat before jumping to conclution the

ME is bugged.

I got a chance to play 5-6 quick games on FM Classic ('Key' highlights, just preseason stuff) at lunchtime and didn't see any of the "crazy dribbling" or outfield wackiness that others have been complaining about so far. Most of the outfield play looked pretty nice and had a good flow to it. I am playing in a lower league (Italy C1/A) and play without a lot of creative freedom; this may explain the dribbling behavior, I don't know.

Keepers continue to be mentally challenged however:

[video=youtube;R-kJonbVXT8]

[video=youtube;PwvqkNqKYoE]

Running some tests in a new season as manager of Man City in holiday mode.

Screenshots as of 1st Jan 2013

167mfx4.png

2pyx9fk.png

u5usy.png

2sb0hur.png

Dribbling: Averages are far too high. dyer with over 15 per match just as an example. In Spain the average is 4.89 for Mr Messi and in Scotland the average is 3.97. Why so high in England?

Tackling: Again, way too high. In no uncertain terms should they be getting anywhere near what this is showing. I raised this previous patch in the bugs forum, obviously they did not fix this.

Distance Covered: The average Premier League player runs 7 miles per match. 8-9 miles is simply way too high in these results. Interestingly, in Spain the avg distance is 6.2 miles for the top runner and in Scotland it's 6.3 miles. Again, why so high in England?

Results for Man City: 12 clean sheets in 17 matches, quite impressive, realistic? I'll let you be the judge of that. Lose 6-0 Away to Barcelona and then the very next match hammer Chelsea 7-0. Realistic? again, I'll let you be the judge of that. Chelsea had 6 bookings, 1 sent off in the 76 min, but the score was already 7-0 so there was nothing to make this crazy scoreline. We had 21 shots, 15 on target, 10 long shots, chelsea had 11 shots, 4 on target, 8 were long.

messi scored 5 goals in the 6-0 drubbing, Barcelona had 22 shots, 18 on target, 5 long shots, to our 2 shots and 0 on target. Messi also had 21 dribbles that match.

Just these simple tests show some glaringly obvious flaws within the game. It really does mystify me as to how the elite at SI Towers did not spot any of these out of proportion statistics.

Full season results to follow...

I don't have any of these things happening either. I've had players going on runs down the wing, cutting inside, and either shooting or crossing it, but that's happened since the start of the game.

That said, I'm still in my 2nd season (I have multiple saves on the go, very rarely play more than 7/8 seasons with one save to maintain realism) on my main save, and haven't altered anything with the editor. I still wonder if the people having these problems are many years in the future and/or have altered certain aspects of the main database along the way. Maybe that has nothing to do with it, but you'd think if the above scenarios were genuine flaws, everyone would be experiencing them.

Guys have you not looked at those screenshots? It's a brand new season, season 1 at the half way point. I finished the season and nothing had changed, it's still got the ridiculous high dribbling %, high tackles, high distance covered.

Here is a link to a video that shows some pretty braindead defending by the opposition too for some reason - there is a through ball that my striker races onto and the far CB just kind of trots along unaware until the striker touches the ball, at which point he starts sprinting back to the ball. It looks like a bug, frankly.

Isnt it normal for a player with 20 dribbling to actually perfect dribbling? or dribble often for that sake. Tell me if im mistaken, but 20 is the top stat correct, so if a player

got 20 in dribbling shouldnt this mean he actually will dribble often or succeed often when running with ball? Just sayin, watch the stat before jumping to conclution the

ME is bugged.

My reading comprehension of Chris's post is quite different from yours. The overall flavor of his post seems to express skepticism about dribbling being insane. He noted that he had not seen any crazy results, and simply asked a question about the dribbling abilities at top clubs. If there was any jumping to conclusions, he is not the one doing so.

Just wanted to highlight the importance of this post. Thanks for taking the time and posting your findings. Hopefully SI takes notice of this.

You're welcome. Strangely this is only happening in the Premier league, all other leagues seem fine, things could be toned down slightly but they're basically okay. It's the Premier League that seems to be having the problem.

On one other note, Patching via steam. I would have preferred not to have patched yet until i was sure I would be confident with this patch. However despite having FM13 set not to automatically update it still did. I cannot keep steam in an offline mode as I play other games online which is what caused me to patch up. I'm not advocating SI stop using steam I have many a game on their platform and find it very good. Whether the auto patching of my game was a steam issue or an SI issue as steam will remain the chosen method of installing FM if there is a way to stop auto patching in the future that I would like. Non of my other games auto patch when I selected the option not to do this.

A few people have suggested they give 24 hours notice of an "update" I think that's a reasonable request but with the proviso that SI will only fully support the latest version.

ME is bugged.

When did I say the ME was bugged? If anything I'm defending it.

I got a chance to play 5-6 quick games on FM Classic ('Key' highlights, just preseason stuff) at lunchtime and didn't see any of the "crazy dribbling" or outfield wackiness that others have been complaining about so far. Most of the outfield play looked pretty nice and had a good flow to it. I am playing in a lower league (Italy C1/A) and play without a lot of creative freedom; this may explain the dribbling behavior, I don't know.

Keepers continue to be mentally challenged however

Seems to happen when you combine a lot of pace with players on the flank...and god help you if they have the runs with ball often PPM...

How about when Bale does it 23 times in one match and is averaging 16 dribbles per game since the patch? Just mental.

I do think that SI have pandered to all those that cried about the previous patch. I honestly believe that 13.1.3 wasn't that far from being pretty decent but this latest patch is way out there.

I'm sure SI keeps backups of their ME's can i sugest SI to release the last ME as an update on steam while they are working on fixing the issues on this one? Although there's plenty of good in this patch imho, there are more "gamebreakers" than on the patch before. Could this at least be considered as i do think people won't be happy waiting for next patch with the game on this status.

Anyone else notices that strikers and inside forwards tend to run towards the goalkeeper way too much in clear cut chances? (NOTE: noticed this in 13.1.3 as well)

They chip the ball or try to round the goalkeeper way too late.

Anyone else notices that strikers and inside forwards tend to run towards the goalkeeper way too much in clear cut chances? (NOTE: noticed this in 13.1.3 as well)

They chip the ball or try to round the goalkeeper way too late.

Actually this is something I'm trying to track down and if you have some examples to load up and post in the bugs forum that'd be great. The touches in the area are too long and it's noticeable particularly when a pacey striker dribbles past the keeper before even "getting a chance" to shoot as he's too fast.

How about when Bale does it 23 times in one match and is averaging 16 dribbles per game since the patch? Just mental.

I do think that SI have pandered to all those that cried about the previous patch. I honestly believe that 13.1.3 wasn't that far from being pretty decent but this latest patch is way out there.

I think they should only release when they are truly happy with, regardless of the clamour.(not including any unforseeable foul ups). If that means people complaining for a few days more then so be it.

Actually this is something I'm trying to track down and if you have some examples to load up and post in the bugs forum that'd be great. The touches in the area are too long and it's noticeable particularly when a pacey striker dribbles past the keeper before even "getting a chance" to shoot as he's too fast.

Well, most of these situations don't turn out as a goal, and I'm not sure i know how to upload non-goal highlights.

Also, i don't think speed is the main issue, the striker sometimes takes a second or even a third touch on the ball whilst running towards the goalkeeper, the movement is definately flawed since most strikers would run a bit to either right or left (depending on their stronger shooting foot) in order to have a better angle at shooting at goal and beating the keeper.

Just to clarify, I much prefer this patch than to the previous one. I have two big issues with this patch and that is the Mr Messi drbbling which is just ruining games for realism and the '5 defenders go hunting 1 guy' syndrome. If they could fix that asap then we have a reasonable game. They can then work on the other issues that need addressing such as the many things that have been posted here time and time again.

The numerous goals from free kicks, the ones after a cross that end with "X certainly didn't mean that", the counter attacks which end with a goal after a low cross to the far post where a player is always unmarked, the number of goals scored in a match... All are game breaking bugs for me. On 13.1 there were two major bugs: the throw ins that end in the opponent player's feet and goals from low crosses.

Now they didn't correct those two yet they somehow managed to add five or so other major bugs. Way to go SI...

I don't want to be 'that guy' but I think SI should just release the patch they gave me :p

I am having none of the problems you guys are having,maybe once my team hits the Premiership I may start getting the Messi dribbling thing you guys are getting but I am having a great time now.

I have played 20 matches with the new patch and the whole thing seems better,even the throw ins! In the 20 matches I have only seen 1 that was given away.

In my last few matches I was averaging 20 shots at goal with about 6 from long range,pretty acceptable,I have seen 1 time 1 of my players take on 3 guys and then score a goal,as it only happened once I was punching the air when it happened.

I would like to see more goals at corners but that is being a bit picky.

I am even thinking about disabling the auto updates as I am really enjoying the game,the only problem is I would want the last patch with updated transfers so I would have the latest edition anyway.

Well, most of these situations don't turn out as a goal, and I'm not sure i know how to upload non-goal highlights.

Also, i don't think speed is the main issue, the striker sometimes takes a second or even a third touch on the ball whilst running towards the goalkeeper, the movement is definately flawed since most strikers would run a bit to either right or left (depending on their stronger shooting foot) in order to have a better angle at shooting at goal and beating the keeper.

If you're at all interested in posting examples, the way to do it is to save the .pkm file at the end of the match and then upload that to the FTP server. There are very clear instructions in the bugs forum. In order to isolate examples all you need to do is take notes of the time they occur and then append these to your post so it looks like so:

"[MEv 1324] Strikers taking too many touches in the box"

- Here I detail the general behaviors that are at issue...

.pkm file uploaded: "Xtal_mygameagainstSOandSO.pkm"

10:04 Johnny Wibblelegs takes 6 touches in the area instead of shooting

12:22 Wilbur Longstockings takes a heavy touch instead of shooting

etc...

And I do agree with your observations as well. That is exactly what I'm seeing. Would be nice if it were addressed.

To be fair, it's not his job to help anyone. He was simply pointing out a major flaw in the game he BOUGHT!

Another thing, why should I have to change my tactics to suit the new ME?! I was doing alright with them before the update. If that's the case the game is pointless! It could change at any point and i'll have to start a new game for every update and learn the new "rules" (flaws).

This. I am tired of re-learning the game with every update.

I am also tired of setting up everybody on "standard" and hope for the best (twelve step guide).

I must agree that something is wrong with this update in terms of forward runs, driblings and markers not challenging dribbling players.

However, i do prefer this version, it's much more fun to watch amazing forward runs than to watch defenders tackle the ball into their own net.

Archived