Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

You're joking? I reported the widgets with a detailed explanation and a step-by-step guide on how to recreate the issue pretty much on release day. Tired of having to move the damn things EVERY game and after each substitution.
Not joking, i have 9 widgets set up during the game and am having to constantly move them back to there positions, frustrating to say the least.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People just come in here and moan without even looking at their tactics. Have ya reduced the creative freedom of your players, have ya set your wingbacks long shots to rarely? I'm not getting the hockey scorelines others have been reporting, neither have i gotten the excessive dribbling and longshots. In 10 games my players have scored 3 long shots and none of them from beyond 21 metres. I have a feeling i'll be back here to mona, but for me, this update is a significant improvement.

What's the definition of a key highlight? United 1-1 with half an hour to go wouldn't sit back and take that, they'd bomb forward and go for the winner, I'd expect a few key highlights here. As with most games.

How often does Match of the Day stop with 30 minutes to go and show a full time result?

Key in 13 shows CCC and goals, extended has the same profile as 2012's key.

People just come in here and moan without even looking at their tactics. Have ya reduced the creative freedom of your players, have ya set your wingbacks long shots to rarely? I'm not getting the hockey scorelines others have been reporting, neither have i gotten the excessive dribbling and longshots. In 10 games my players have scored 3 long shots and none of them from beyond 21 metres. I have a feeling i'll be back here to mona, but for me, this update is a significant improvement.

But according to wwfan and the like, you shouldn't need to change your tactics for each ME update.

But according to wwfan and the like, you shouldn't need to change your tactics for each ME update.

People saying you have to change your tactics simply are not taking some things into account. You would only have to change your tactics if you are using tactics that generally don't 'suit' match situations. If gamers learn how to use the 'Strategy' reality in the game, then you would not have to change anything at all. Then you would be in a situation where your tactics might work a little better due to the 'values' in the ME being more balanced...

I just scored a goal thats completely a bug. A player of mine scored a header, and 5 minutes after that, the other team crosses the ball, the same player that scored for me ticks the ball, which goes past my keeper. The game says its the second goal of the match for Velazquez (the players name), and that im 2-0. Anyone else saw this bug in their game?

I just scored a goal thats completely a bug. A player of mine scored a header, and 5 minutes after that, the other team crosses the ball, the same player that scored for me ticks the ball, which goes past my keeper. The game says its the second goal of the match for Velazquez (the players name), and that im 2-0. Anyone else saw this bug in their game?

Could you log this one in the bug forum please, and upload the .pkm saved from the match?

People saying you have to change your tactics simply are not taking some things into account. You would only have to change your tactics if you are using tactics that generally don't 'suit' match situations. If gamers learn how to use the 'Strategy' reality in the game, then you would not have to change anything at all. Then you would be in a situation where your tactics might work a little better due to the 'values' in the ME being more balanced...

This. ^ Spot on.

Depends, would you class a 30 yarder, that barely reaches the keeper still moving as a key highlight?

I still want to see that someone took a 30 yarder shot - it's a key highlight, any shot on target is a key highlight.

If I see a 30 yarder from a player twice it gives me a chance to adjust their long range attempts and get them to play differently.

I think a key highlight should be any attacking movement that results in a shot on or off target, I want to see where it's going wrong.

Not sit there watching the Shots on Target escalate while the game tumbles into the 25th minute and I haven't a clue what's going on in the match.

You shouldn't , but that doesn't stop those that tweak every patch to exploit whatever the new ME weakness is , coming here and trying to shout down those who have issues.

I'm not trying to shout you guys down. I was one of the loudest critics of the previous patch. For me, this one's much better, and after reading of the problems on here, i went and thought about how to combat them, so i switched around a few things and it's very playable for me. My two main gripes were improved, DFK's and Long shots, so i guess I'm a bit biased.

Everyone said it was predictable before and no one makes good running, I don't no why you complaining when a player has good dribbling stats and has run often as ppm then he will run. Iv only seen improvements if you want your players not to go on a run then set run with ball to rarely simples. :)

The thing is, we shouldn't have to tone down the dribble often with the ball for players which this is there main skill asset. What should happen is they should not do this almost every single time they get the ball, that's just stupid. CR7 does not just run with it every single time he gets the ball and successfully glides through 4 or 5 players only to blaze it high and wide each time. No, the ME should allow these players to have 'higher' dribbles than other players but in line with 'real life'.

Just like how we want the amount of tackles, shots etc to be in tune with real life, we also need the dribbling to coincide with this.

I still want to see that someone took a 30 yarder shot - it's a key highlight, any shot on target is a key highlight.

If I see a 30 yarder from a player twice it gives me a chance to adjust their long range attempts and get them to play differently.

I think a key highlight should be any attacking movement that results in a shot on or off target, I want to see where it's going wrong.

Not sit there watching the Shots on Target escalate while the game tumbles into the 25th minute and I haven't a clue what's going on in the match.

At the risk of stating of the obvious just go up a notch of level of detail on highlights until you do get a clue as to what is going on?? How do you expect the game to show you if you won't do what you know you need to do to solve that one?? I'm not trying to be funny or rude, but come on.

Funny how most of the idiotic posts in here are from members who barely ever contribute to the forum, only when they feel the need to complain. Kind of ruins it for others IMO.

I have noticed nothing but improvements in the latest update, however if some issues do arise, am I able to switch to 2D and see more improvements?

I think the majority of people would rather be playing the game than posting on a forum about the game. I'm one of those people who doesn't come to the forum that often and only really come when i've got a problem in the hope someone else has got it (so i know i'm not alone) and that someone may have an answer (which is often the case).

I've only played 4 games since the patch and have twice broken the premier league record for highest scoring game, 9-0 at home to fulham and 13-0 at home to aston villa.

I think the majority of people would rather be playing the game than posting on a forum about the game. I'm one of those people who doesn't come to the forum that often and only really come when i've got a problem in the hope someone else has got it (so i know i'm not alone) and that someone may have an answer (which is often the case).

I've only played 4 games since the patch and have twice broken the premier league record for highest scoring game, 9-0 at home to fulham and 13-0 at home to aston villa.

Now that is ridiculous. I have not played the game since the new patch but judging by the comments the amount of goals is a concern as it is being reported by several people, not jus a small minority. What do SI say about the goals rate? Is there likely to be a hotfix?

I'm not trying to shout you guys down. I was one of the loudest critics of the previous patch. For me, this one's much better, and after reading of the problems on here, i went and thought about how to combat them, so i switched around a few things and it's very playable for me. My two main gripes were improved, DFK's and Long shots, so i guess I'm a bit biased.

What if there is nothing wrong with your tactics? My tactic is working fine, but I still have 38 too 40 shots on goal. As I said earlier, i'm not complaining, because the patch has done wonders with some of the things I experienced before. But the number of shot's has increased dramatically, and I find this a bit unrealistic. I'm still winning like before the patch but now i'm winning 6-1, 5-0, 7-2 and so on. It's fun, but not really that realistic and it wasn't like this before the patch.

This is my reason for raising my voice about this, so perhaps you need to think twice before you call all moaners and question the reason for commenting. Not all of us come on here to bash the game.

So too call people moaners because there are commenting on what they experience after the patch, that's a bit too much.

Well spoken!

Could you log this one in the bug forum please, and upload the .pkm saved from the match?

Sorry, at the time i didnt think about logging it, so i reloaded the match (it was against my most hated club, and i wanted to win fair and square). Should have save the game in a different save. Thats why im asking if someone else saw this too

At the risk of stating of the obvious just go up a notch of level of detail on highlights until you do get a clue as to what is going on?? How do you expect the game to show you if you won't do what you know you need to do to solve that one?? I'm not trying to be funny or rude, but come on.

Read back in the thread - I already said I've switched to extended for now.

But I still expect to see the shots on target in the Key Highlights

And I expect to see the highlights if I've gone to overload mode for the last 20 minutes. I get nothing.

It's supposed to be key highlights - it just runs 20 minutes of the game without a single highlight.

• Administrators
Read back in the thread - I already said I've switched to extended for now.

But I still expect to see the shots on target in the Key Highlights

And I expect to see the highlights if I've gone to overload mode for the last 20 minutes. I get nothing.

It's supposed to be key highlights - it just runs 20 minutes of the game without a single highlight.

Key highlights are generally clear cut chances and goals.

After playing quite a number of matches with the new update, my conclusion is that the ME is certainly NOT broken, but that there are quite a few bugs/issues that prevent the game from being fully playable (unless you want to base your tactics around both exploiting issues in attack and trying to prevent other issues in defence). Most, if not all of these issues have already been noted, but I wanted to reiterate as they are serious problems that prevent the game from being enjoyable overall:

Defenders do not seem capable of defending properly. This is quite a vast issue and affects their ability on a number of levels. For instance:

- They will often run at opposition players, but not actually ever tackle them. Not in the sense of tracking the winger down the line, but in the centre of the pitch where a much-needed intervention would be expected and certainly needed. Most players when defending, whether top quality CBs or attack-minded midfielders will just run at/with an opponent but hardly try to pressure them or get a tackle in, which means that they will often let opponents literally run straight past them without even trying to intervene.

- Defenders will not keep to their man/area, even when they have been tactically selected to tightly man mark a player. And not in the expected way that a FB would drop his man if they were being covered by a team-mate whilst the opposition fullback has just had a great pass delivered to them down the line on the overlap, but rather the other way around - for instance, my LB will be marking the opponent's AMR who is getting in a dangerous position, all of a sudden opposition RB will get the ball inside his own half and now my LB will drop his man and run straight for the RB with the ball (who is already being taken care of by at least 1 other of my players, mind you!), leaving the AMR in massive space who will invariably then receive the pass, and either score himself or set up an easy assist.

- Same thing applies in the centre of the pitch. Whether I have a defender set to man-mark a specific player tightly OR if I have a defender on a Cover setting set to Zonal Mark tightly and to close down in his area only, these players will run almost half-way up the pitch to close down a player who is already being marked, leaving their original target zone or player completely free.

- Players seem to have absolutely no spacial awareness, particularly wide players. Even with little to no creative freedom, wide play selected as either normal or hug touchline, my fullbacks with dribble or run to the centre of the pitch all the time, which often leads to them being dispossessed out of position which then often results in an opposition goal or a close call - completely unrealistic. Same lack of spacial awareness applies to wingers, but I'll get to that in a second. Also, too often I'll see a CM or AMC or Striker get the ball in the centre of the pitch and then bomb down the wing and put a cross in - even when their crossing is set to rarely & their wide play certainly doesn't call for them to hug the touchline!

- Crosses hardly ever seem to be blocked. In real life, defenders will often do all they can to block a cross from being delivered by tracking their man, trying to intervene with a tackle or sticking their leg out when the cross is delivered. This seems to hardly happen in the game, a very high proportion of crosses manage to get delivered into the box compared to real life imo, even if the player is being heavily marked.

- The "Play out of defence" shout or keeper with Quick Throw distribution and short pass settings still seems sketchy at best. It's certainly improved from FM12 and sometimes they will throw it short or pass it short, but too often they will still just punt it upfield. Even when this happens in real life, better keepers often try to target specific men but the keepers in the game just seem content to boot the ball and give up possession, no matter how good or bad they are.

- In connection to this, AI decisions will often seem baffling when making pass choice. Whilst it has been hugely improved since FM12, often a player (particularly a CM or CB) with some good forward pass options to players in space will instead just kick it back to the goalkeeper. And then SOMETIMES the goalkeeper will try to restart play out of the defence, but all too often, the opposition will then run at the keeper and cause him, again, to boot the ball upfield!!

- Continuing on with the defence theme. I'm glad that double-teaming seems to be better programmed FM13 than previous versions, but it gets insane when THREE OR FOUR of your players will all crowd around the player with the ball AND with none of them actually attempting a tackle!! Followed then by the obvious conclusion when the two or three other players now left unmarked get into space, get an easy pass or cross delivered (again, not cut out by any of the three or four defenders), and bam! Goal.

- Players will often be in a position to either intercept a pass that is near to them or get to a loose/deflected ball first. Instead of going for the interception or running for the loose ball, the players will often ignore it entirely OR run towards it for half a second, look as if they will get there first, and then change their mind and actually run away from the ball!

Now, onto attack:

- As many other have pointed out, dribbling has now become insane. This applies especially to inside forwards or wingers that cut inside whether on their favoured foot or not. Now I understand that this happens in real life sometimes, but when you have a 2.5 star player cutting inside, running past 4 or 5 defenders who all do nothing (see above!) a number of times per match, and then usually finishing with a remarkable solo effort to score, it becomes a bit of a farce. Players also seem to manage to get past their man when dribbling down the line a little too often & too easily than is realistic imo.

- Whilst the above bug can certainly be "helpful" for scoring goals, it can have a downside too. As with wide defenders, wingers seem to have no spacial awareness. Even when Wide play is Hug Touchline & creative freedom is low, wingers will still often cut infield far too easily. Most of them will end up either in the centre of the pitch - or sometimes even as far as the other wing! - and then will get dispossessed entirely out of position which leads to a very frustrating counter-attack.

- Somewhat related to this is the strange decision-making that sometimes happens with pass/shot selection - a player has just magically beat 4 or 5 defenders, is in a position to cross or shoot there and then, but will then continue to run to the byline - or even to the touchline - before either running out of play entirely, putting in a cross that is far too late to be effective, or have their cross deflected for a corner by the two or three defenders that are now crowding them out.

- And last but not least for now, players seem to shoot far too often with their unfavoured foot. Not sure if this is just the animation getting it wrong, or bad AI selection. I use Tottenham, and most matches I will see Defoe or Adebayor beat their markers, get into a great position for a right foot shoot, and then shoot with the left (which actually makes their shot angle worse) or Bale get into a great position where he can shoot with his left, and then shoot (or sometimes cross!) with his right. Noticed this a lot in FM12 too & unfortunately it seems to still be here.

Anyway, I hope the above feedback proves useful to SI. As I said, the match engine is anything but broken, but all of these issues imo prevent the game from being able to be fully enjoyed until they are once and for all resolved!

Not that i have have played enough games to have an indepth understanding of the update and ive only played with one squad of players, but i think the update is fine. I always thouhgt the ME needed tweaking moreso then the overhaul that some people on here want.

Shooting is better, which leads to more goals, from both sides, which makes the game more enjoyable.

Goalkeepers still make mistakes, but when you play in the lower leagues like i am right now you expect that to happen.

Do you not play in offline mode then? If you play in offline mode the game won't update until you put Steam online. Basically you can see an update is out on the forums, finish your season in offline mode therefore the update doesn't mess with your current season then once you've finished put Steam into online mode download the latest update. That's what I do anyway. Because like you most updates/patches wreck my tactics.

You are also assuming that is all we have on steam, I play a number of other games and therefore may need to update them.

I have to admit I am not seeing any of these insane solo runs that a lot of people are reporting,I am not sure if it is my tactics or the fact I am in division 1.

Shots on goal seem to also be okay on my save,some games I get a bit much,I think the highest was about 30 but on average I would say around 20.

Of those chances I am seeing a few high scoring games,I have had a couple of 4-0 and 4-2,I think the lowest I have had was a 2-2,that is in about 15 matches I have had time to play so far.

Although the scores are a bit high I much prefer that to watching a game pre-patch were there was maybe 3 chances the whole match.

Still quite a few head scratching moments with player errors but on the whole I feel the game has improved quite a bit with this patch.

-Edit

How could I forget,the injuries in game seem much better so far,I am actually using my subs for tactical reasons now and not just to take off players that are injured or have taken a knock and are at 50% or thereabouts.

You are also assuming that is all we have on steam, I play a number of other games and therefore may need to update them.

You can click on the game and set it to "do not keep the game updated" or something along those lines,the games you do want to keep updated you can select "keep this game updated",again or something along those lines.

Sometimes it takes a new season to start for some bug fixes to implement correctly, it depends on the bug/fix, but there are very few bugs that require a new game and SI always state when that's the case.

New season, just to clarify you mean that on an existing game, as soon as you get into end of June for premier league?

Hey Sports Interactive! Lovely new patch! Is this because of bad tactics toooooo?

Seriously now, Ventsplis scored twice, once after a greyed out player dribbled past my ENTIRE team and slotted it into the top corner and second after a 40 yard direct free kick. Madeira scored four times after i was leading 2-0 and didn't give me a chance. My defence is the worst of all time, and i'm playing a Control 4-5-1 with a DLF in Portugal, where, let's face it, the competition isn't that hard. I can clearly sympathise with someone above who asked the vital question that all of you praising the game seem to be missing. Since when did this game become a game in which we should beat the match engine and not actually manage football? And even more so, some of the tactical geniuses that bless this forum with their knowledge seem very keen to explain to us that people who might actually try FM for the first time in 2013 or people who just want to have fun with the game and not go so deep should actually learn 10 years worth of tactics and ME developments in order to stand a chance to find the game mildly enjoyable.

Sporting_CP_Matches_Schedule.png

image ru

Ah okay,thanks.

I was wondering why I had not seen even 1 so far.

daylight, do you have any players with the PPM 'run with ball' either down the wing, centre or often. Would be interesting to know as I think this is only happening to players who possess any of these PPM's.

The ridiculous injuries seems to be a massive bug for my team. Played Man City away. My players all started 100% fit...most of theirs started at about 85% after a tough midweek game. I have 6 different players injured in the match, 3 stretchered off.

Every single away game against a decent side I have AT LEAST three injuries. I haven't been able to make a tactical substitution in an away game (bar the league cup) since the latest patch.

For those of you that think the amount of dribbles is fine just read this article: http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/dribbling-and-crossing-two-reasons-why-arsenal-need-a-wide-player/

Here is a snippet:

Arsenal’s dribbles all come from central positions. Cazorla, Wilshere, and Diaby are Arsenal’s top three dribblers with over 2 per game. Gervinho is the first “wide” player on Arsenal’s successful dribbles list but he’s played a significant number of his games centrally for Arsenal. Ox and Theo are Arsenal’s real wide players and both average 1 successful dribble per game. Liverpool leads the League in dribbles per game and their top two dribblers are Luis Suarez and Raheem Sterling. Sterling plays wide for Liverpool and averages 2.5 dribbles per game. No wonder many Gunners want to swap Walcott for Sterling.

I think that just about clears up the dribbling situation. :)

So Raheem Sterling has 2.5 dribbles per game and yet my Mr Adomah has 10.6 dribbles per game. Would you not say that is excessive?

daylight, do you have any players with the PPM 'run with ball' either down the wing, centre or often. Would be interesting to know as I think this is only happening to players who possess any of these PPM's.

Since i set RWB to "sometimes" to my wingers and wingbacks i stop seeing the "messi-runs".

Did you guys try that?

Because, wingers and wingbacks with attack duty have, by default, RWB set to often.

Or, try the shout "work the ball" and "play through defence", this could work to.

Here is another article on dribbling: http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/12/20/the-trouble-with-dribbling-why-even-at-barcelona-only-lionel-messi-is-allowed-a-mazy-run/

The greedy or troublemaker stigma lingers. Aside from Messi, several of the 2011/12 Champions League’s top dribblers are viewed with suspicion. Eden Hazard completed 3.8 dribbles per game (second only to Messi). He has been criticised for leaving Chelsea left-back Ashley Cole exposed.

I just had a look and none of my players have those PPM's.

Since i set RWB to "sometimes" to my wingers and wingbacks i stop seeing the "messi-runs".

Did you guys try that?

Because, wingers and wingbacks with attack duty have, by default, RWB set to often.

Or, try the shout "work the ball" and "play through defence", this could work to.

Yes that would tone it down slightly by using the 'play through defence' shout but the point is that even with run with ball often they should not be dribbling 18 times a game. Eden Hazard makes 3.8 dribbles per match in the champions league (2nd to Messi) so FM should be inline with real life and we should be seeing dribbles of this average (13.1.3 patch did this).

All to well that people say, well the shots are just like real life, the cards are just like real life, the goals scored are just like real life, well, the dribbling should also be just like real life.

I just had a look and none of my players have those PPM's.

Thanks. That's why you're not seeing it. I have some players with high dribbling stats, but because they do not have the PPM that refers to dribbles with ball, their dribbling average is okay and not excessive.

It's obvious a bug with this ME, but so far in 12 played games i've only seen this 2 times. Both times it was the AI team that try to stop my winger.

Happens every time I play a top side away from home. Playing against chelsea had Eden Hazard running around like Benny hill covering half the pitch with 4 of my team following every step of the way.

For those of you that think the amount of dribbles is fine just read this article: http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/dribbling-and-crossing-two-reasons-why-arsenal-need-a-wide-player/

Here is a snippet:

Arsenal’s dribbles all come from central positions. Cazorla, Wilshere, and Diaby are Arsenal’s top three dribblers with over 2 per game. Gervinho is the first “wide” player on Arsenal’s successful dribbles list but he’s played a significant number of his games centrally for Arsenal. Ox and Theo are Arsenal’s real wide players and both average 1 successful dribble per game. Liverpool leads the League in dribbles per game and their top two dribblers are Luis Suarez and Raheem Sterling. Sterling plays wide for Liverpool and averages 2.5 dribbles per game. No wonder many Gunners want to swap Walcott for Sterling.

So Raheem Sterling has 2.5 dribbles per game and yet my Mr Adomah has 10.6 dribbles per game. Would you not say that is excessive?

Agreed. Seems dribbling is way too high and unrealistic. It's absolute tosh people defending it on this update with PPMs and the like. Regardless of what the players PPM is the ME should be as close to lifelike as possible, therefore averaging the 13 shots someone else posted and this, 1-2 dribbles a game.

Here is a snippet:

Just to clarify nonleague - which statistic are you looking at in game to get the 10.6 figure?

Funny how most of the idiotic posts in here are from members who barely ever contribute to the forum, only when they feel the need to complain. Kind of ruins it for others IMO.

I have noticed nothing but improvements in the latest update, however if some issues do arise, am I able to switch to 2D and see more improvements?

Or perhaps some are like me who signed up for the forums when they started, have bought every game SI has released since it was just two brothers in their bedroom, and only contribute when I feel moved to do so, because apart from when free-lance work dries up I don't have time to get involved with endless discussions that are of no interest to me?

Also this is the first patch I have experienced where my experience as a player/consumer has fundamentally changed immediately.

Yes that would tone it down slightly by using the 'play through defence' shout but the point is that even with run with ball often they should not be dribbling 18 times a game. Eden Hazard makes 3.8 dribbles per match in the champions league (2nd to Messi) so FM should be inline with real life and we should be seeing dribbles of this average (13.1.3 patch did this).

All to well that people say, well the shots are just like real life, the cards are just like real life, the goals scored are just like real life, well, the dribbling should also be just like real life.

I agree with you. At this moment theres is too many dribbles and running with ball. :)

I'm only pointing out a solution to that.

Archived