Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

NOTE THAT STARTING A NEW GAME IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED WHEN APPLYING A PATCH. SI may not actually TELL you, but it is ALWAYS recommended.

I've started a new game just after the patch, this is my experience:

I am Liverpool, season 1, no major transfers in/out except wellington nem due to his irresistable release clause.

opponent - result - my shots on goal/their shots on goal

Velez - 0-1 - 13/9

Celtic - 1-0 - 29/10

Anderlecht - 4-1 - 11/10

Point of Ayr - 11-1 - 36/3

Vitesse - 2-0 - 19/13

Vitesse - 1-3 - 6/10

Everton - 1-1 - 12/11

Tromsø - 1-3 - 17/12

So'ton - 1-1 - 15/17

Tromsø - 4-0 - 24/10

Norwich - 3-1 - 24/6

QPR - 0-2 - 12/8

Hannover - 1-0 - 19/4

Spurs - 0-3 - 7/19

Newcastle - 2-0 - 18/11

Steua - 1-1 - 10/5

Man City - 4-1 - 8/22

I do see quite a few dribbles, but when those come from Suarez, Sterling and Wellington Nem, who are all known for taking these dribbles IRL as well, it's not a massively big deal to me.

Not a single own goal so far

2 penalties, 1 miss 1 scored

A few free kick goals, but not many, think 3, maybe 4 tops.

No "crazy" results at all.

I've seen the "several players go after same guy on the wing" thing a few times, and it does tick me off as a bit odd, definitely something that should be investigated. I don't see it often enough to be gamebreaking though, maybe once or twice per game (key highlights only though).

Let me know if you want any further statistics.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been quite critical - but find it strange that some people are being critical yet some are finding it fine. Quick question, did those that are finding it fine start a new game? I have just continued a save and I am wondering if full affects may well only really kick in with a new game and those that are finding it a bit of a mess may be like me, continuing a save?

That's a good point SH and one that I've mentioned in other posts, I agree that whilst being 'save game' compatable you never seem to get the full effect of an update unless you start a new save.

In answer to your question, I'm not getting any of the things happening in my save that most people are complaining about apart from maybe the defenders all running after the same player.... I didn't start a new save and I'm playing with an edited data base.

One thing i have noticed im not too keen on is the decision making of the defenders when on the ball. Too often my backline seem content to make dodgy passes amongst themselves, or bad back passes to the keeper. Its not been a huge thing so far, and im hoping most of them were because i have been playing a young back line because of fitness issues.

That's a good point SH and one that I've mentioned in other posts, I agree that whilst being 'save game' compatable you never seem to get the full effect of an update unless you start a new save.

NOTE THAT STARTING A NEW GAME IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED WHEN APPLYING A PATCH. SI may not actually TELL you, but it is ALWAYS recommended.

There is no difference in the ME when you continue the game or start a new game. You only ever need to start again to have the full effects of a patch if a competition rule has been changed or if the starting database has changed. Everything else is exactly the same whether you continue a save, or start a fresh one.

I've just plated 6 PL games with United, I've noticed the school yard defending variously but what I have encountered is Evra as my left wingback has scored 5 goals which are described as maradonna like, one of them he picked the ball from my keeper and ran the entire length of the pitch past 5 players before placing the ball past the keeper...I normally don't complain, usually when I see bugs I just ignore them until a patch comes out, but this is killing the game for me. I'm beatong Ciity right now with a 2 man midfield of giggs and scholes and yet again Evra has scored the only goal of the game. I'm hoping there's a hot fix dfor this, because my Xmas tradition is to sit around and get mylself a short term United game before the final patch comes out in March when I start my lomgterm game but I can't see me enjoying this patch for long

One thing i have noticed im not too keen on is the decision making of the defenders when on the ball. Too often my backline seem content to make dodgy passes amongst themselves, or bad back passes to the keeper. Its not been a huge thing so far, and im hoping most of them were because i have been playing a young back line because of fitness issues.

Yes, I get this a lot too, so far it hasn't caused me any greif but it looks worrying at the time...haha

You might have a point about the 'young back line', my back line are all under 22 and I'm playing in the North West Counties Premier so this might be part of the reason for it.

You're probably right, but I personally really don't see a point in starting a new game now, when there is a patch due in late feb early march, as usual. But even if it is recommendable that you start a new game after every patch, even though it is save game compatible, it should raise some eyebrows, that the amount of shots on goal is considerably higher than before the patch.

There is no difference in the ME when you continue the game or start a new game. You only ever need to start again to have the full effects of a patch if a competition rule has been changed or if the starting database has changed. Everything else is exactly the same whether you continue a save, or start a fresh one.

Yeah well, people who continue their saves see bizarre results and all sorts of weird happenings. I started a new game, i see nothing of the sort.

You may think there's no difference in the ME, but all the way through all the versions of CM and FM, they've always said it was save game compatible, and we would ALWAYS have weird results/happenings if we continued to play the old saves. Code is a strange thing, and all sorts of little details can have an impact you wouldn't expect at all.

You're probably right, but I personally really don't see a point in starting a new game now, when there is a patch due in late feb early march, as usual. But even if it is recommendable that you start a new game after every patch, even though it is save game compatible, it should raise some eyebrows, that the amount of shots on goal is considerably higher than before the patch.

Yeah I just realized I also get shafted in February. Oh well, we'll see if I even play by then :p

Well, I think that was one of the goals of the patch, to raise the amount of shots on goal somewhat. I didn't play much before the patch, so can't say - but I don't see any completely bizarre situations in my game yet. That may change when/if I get a stronger team, but that's so far in the future that I'm not bothered with it just yet..

Yeah well, people who continue their saves see bizarre results and all sorts of weird happenings. I started a new game, i see nothing of the sort.

You may think there's no difference in the ME, but all the way through all the versions of CM and FM, they've always said it was save game compatible, and we would ALWAYS have weird results/happenings if we continued to play the old saves. Code is a strange thing, and all sorts of little details can have an impact you wouldn't expect at all.

I think you suffer from selective memory, you think you have seen a pattern and so you believe it. I have never once started a new game because of a new patch, and i dont experience "weird" things. If you were correct SI would not say the patches were save game compatible.

I've just plated 6 PL games with United, I've noticed the school yard defending variously but what I have encountered is Evra as my left wingback has scored 5 goals which are described as maradonna like, one of them he picked the ball from my keeper and ran the entire length of the pitch past 5 players before placing the ball past the keeper...I normally don't complain, usually when I see bugs I just ignore them until a patch comes out, but this is killing the game for me. I'm beatong Ciity right now with a 2 man midfield of giggs and scholes and yet again Evra has scored the only goal of the game. I'm hoping there's a hot fix dfor this, because my Xmas tradition is to sit around and get mylself a short term United game before the final patch comes out in March when I start my lomgterm game but I can't see me enjoying this patch for long

I doubt there will be a hotfix.

I'm going to start a new save tonight just to see if there is any difference with how my game plays, I've got very few complaints about how it's playing with my current save and for me, this is by far the best FM I've played to date. I'm not getting any freaky high score lines and so far I'm not getting everyone thinking they're Messi, the new update has improved my game in a few ways but to be honest I don't see a great deal of difference.

I haven't been one to complain much, but the new ME did one thing to my game that I can't ignore,and that's the endless RUNS! Whenever a player with an attacking order gets the ball they storm towards the goal at blistering speed, ignoring everyone else, to blast it wide. Again and again, 60 meter runs left and right. I know some players are known to do that but this is sort of ridiculous, especially when I tune my tactics for my players to *pass* the ball, be patient, take it slow!

I don't want to sound annoying but this newest update has made the game much more FIFA 13-like. If you have a fast technical player in your team, you can pretty much be guarantueed a win.

I was just thinking basically because of the increased News Items that suddenly became overloaded after the patch. Think it was Neil saying that the overload of those items affected only those who continued a save and if you started a new game the issue didn't occur. Not saying that happens with everything in the ME but I guess it's possible.

Yeah I just realized I also get shafted in February. Oh well, we'll see if I even play by then :p

Well, I think that was one of the goals of the patch, to raise the amount of shots on goal somewhat. I didn't play much before the patch, so can't say - but I don't see any completely bizarre situations in my game yet. That may change when/if I get a stronger team, but that's so far in the future that I'm not bothered with it just yet..

Yeah you're right in regards too that one of the goals with the patch was to raise the amount of shots on goal. But it still needs to be realistic, which also is one of the goals with this new ME. I know that I've build quite a strong team, but before the patch, if I really dominated a game i would maybe have 22 or 23 shots on goal. But normally it would be around 15 or 16. I've played ten games now, and I now have between 38 too 40 shots on goal.

I want to clarify that this is not a complaint, I just wanted to raise my voice on this point.

Maybe it will help to start a new game, but i'll wait until the patch in late feb early march arrives. But until then i'll keep playing

Teamwork seems to have taken a hit in the latest patch.

The attackers all go Lone Wolf style and try to solo wonder goals for themselves.

The defenders all revert to playground defending and we end with 3-5 defenders on one opposition player.

So annoying, kind of thing that'd have us on the terraces jumping up and down screaming "no no no, stupid *bleep*" and other things far to 'colourful' to repeat here.

I played like 20 matches now.

I had no huge problems before the Update. Not before release, not after release and not after the first post-release update. They were not working perfectly and especially the beta was very very buggy. BUT the game reflected my tactics. In the Beta Winger-Tactics were too strong, but i could still decide to play a game that doesn't rely on the wings. Same after the other Updates. I can adapt to a new ''Meta-Game'' if it still allows me to create the tactics that i have in mind, succesfull or not.

With this update it's different though. Like, the exact opposite. No matter how i switch around. As long as i have a Fullback or just a player that isn't central (LCM for example) they do nothing else but 1. Run like Messi on the flanks or 2. Cross the Ball into the Box and score. My Tactics no matter how much i switch around- I'm not very radical, i try to adjust and tweak around and it always worked before that (Worked in the sense that the playstyle was reflected, not that it was 100% succesfull) but this time this is just not the case. It's always full attack, always my quality-players making incredible runs and always my Team winning.

So yeah, i guess i will wait to continue my Save until there is a new patch. I absolutely love the Non-ME fixes, but the most important Part about FM was that i could create a tactic in my mind and then recreate it on the field, but that is not possible right now.

Funny how most of the idiotic posts in here are from members who barely ever contribute to the forum, only when they feel the need to complain. Kind of ruins it for others IMO.

I have noticed nothing but improvements in the latest update, however if some issues do arise, am I able to switch to 2D and see more improvements?

Funny how most of the idiotic posts in here are from members who barely ever contribute to the forum, only when they feel the need to complain. Kind of ruins it for others IMO.

I have noticed nothing but improvements in the latest update, however if some issues do arise, am I able to switch to 2D and see more improvements?

Why would 'contributing to the forum' give someone the right to complain? Who says these people haven't played the game as much as you have? Personally I've enjoyed this game tremendously for the many hours I've played it, but the amount of runs and my dribbles my players are performing is just mindbogglingly high at the moment. It makes the game look very arcade-like at times.

Are you reffering to me? I've tried to be reasonable and even contributed pictures of my tactics and games 2 pages ago.

Can anyone from the SI team confirm whether it really makes a difference with the ME and results if you start a new game or continue a save game pls?

Sometimes it takes a new season to start for some bug fixes to implement correctly, it depends on the bug/fix, but there are very few bugs that require a new game and SI always state when that's the case.

Got to penalties in an FA cup match, the game won't proceed. I picked my penalty takers hit confirm and....nothing happens. This is a game-ending bug, needs a hotfix.

edit - weird. I was able to hit leave match and it awarded me a 2-1 win even though the score was tied 1-1 at the end of extra time.

Got to penalties in an FA cup match, the game won't proceed. I picked my penalty takers hit confirm and....nothing happens. This is a game-ending bug, needs a hotfix.

It actually needs a bug report and probably a PKM and/or save game uploaded so it can be checked.

Does this happen to anyone else?

In the 70th minute I had 11 shots and 6 on target. I'm drawing 1-1.

I put the team from Attacking to Overload to grab a goal in the last 20 minutes to secure a win.

Anytime I put the game on to Overload I don't see another highlight in the last 20 or 30 minutes of the game.

I went from 11/6 to 13/8 in the final minutes and didn't see a single highlight...

It happens in every game that I put the play into Overload...

Evra has 'runs with ball down left'. Any player that has a 'run with ball' PPM will think he is Mr Messi in this patch. If SI could do a hotfix and tone this down along with the pack of 5 defenders chasing the one guy then we are on to a winner. The rest of it can be dealt with in due course.

Come on SI, release a hotfix to banish the new Mr Messi's and 8yo defending :D

Could anyone who is experiencing a new Mr Messi type of player, check whether or not he has some kind of 'run with ball' PPM. I'm interested to know if this happens to players without this because I am only witnessing it from players with these kind of PPM's.

I put the team from Attacking to Overload to grab a goal in the last 20 minutes to secure a win.

Anytime I put the game on to Overload I don't see another highlight in the last 20 or 30 minutes of the game.

I went from 11/6 to 13/8 in the final minutes and didn't see a single highlight...

Do you use Key-Highlights? They are very short in FM13 and some times skip 30 minutes of the game. I would go one category lower

Overload in isolation isn't going to create more chances automatically, whether for or against. In fact it's just as likely to produce less; dependent on your tactics and team set up and how they work with a 'charge' one key command that I see Overload as being.

I am running FM13 0n a MacBook Pro and it was running performance wise quite well. Unfortunately since installing 13.2 it has slowed down a lot when not in match mode. Also a new bug has appeared when running more than one manager. When it reaches match day and you go through the team tactics/talk screens, prior to the match, the top right move to next screen button which lights up in blue does not light up. This is due to the fact that the game has switched to another manager? You have to go back to the main screen select the right manager and then click match and then everything works.:mad:

Regarding the overall game and the way its developing I am not so keen ... I do not know many people who enjoy the endless media meetings and the canned answers, let alone the matrix of things to say to your team. Most of us send our assistant as it tre boring and no one really thinks it makes any difference.

Also would like to make an offer to a player even if he is not interested ... not go through the endless slog and then see the red paragraph at the top of the page saying 'I am not interested in blah blah'.

I get a general feeling we are moving towards to corporate version of FM rather than a FM based on playing and winning matches. Perhaps a very simplified tactical team talk page and do away with a lot of the media stuff and spend the money on developing the game engine and better player stats ... I see Ronaldo still has no 20.

Thanks

You are completely right that that is what happened in previous FMs, but I am not aware of anyone managing to do it with the previous patch, which was very well balanced. My early experiences of this patch make me think it is more plausible that it could happen this time, but this is what happens when SI is forced to reacted to the screaming snarling masses threatening to burn stuff down because their team lost a match or one of their players made a wrong decision during the course of a game.

Congratulations forum...

This is an absurd post. Mocking people who have gripes (genuine or not) with the game. Let the moderators do their thing.

Hi friends, I would like to ask more attention in the following situations:

- Improve the output goal of goalkeepers, especially at intersections

- Best defenses of goalkeepers who still think very rustic

- Improve the positioning of the defense, players after this patch now mark better, think poreém needed a better approach to advanced

- Improve the pass defense, I see many setbacks ball arriving to be coarse, the attacker opponent catches the ball and makes the goal after a pass poorly done

- Have more moves worked: what we call here in Brazil "Rhythm", a player passes to another, and another that returns quickly

- Having more individual dribbling, dribbling as well as pure and simple (between the legs, elastic, touching on one side and the other catching the ball, cover up the bullet and get on with the ball

- Having set pieces-pieces is by crossing as releases by touches the ground

- Increase the number of best moments in the game, I realize that fm 2013 that the best times dropped considerably, it is needs more shots on goal with defenses being considered best moments, and kicks it out inside and outside the area

- Having played more in midfield and not on the sides, if I base the modern game today in many passes in the center of the field going to the ends or passes into the area which has not happened much in the game

- Having diversified networks (a network of maracanã eg caida could be more to come when the ball swing it, this is an example)

Do you use Key-Highlights? They are very short in FM13 and some times skip 30 minutes of the game. I would go one category lower

What's the definition of a key highlight? United 1-1 with half an hour to go wouldn't sit back and take that, they'd bomb forward and go for the winner, I'd expect a few key highlights here. As with most games.

How often does Match of the Day stop with 30 minutes to go and show a full time result?

I don't no why all you lot are yet again having ago. Everyone said last update was rubbish and your losing and no one tackles or passes right. I think after playing 20 games now I really think there's been a good improvement with passing more better reading of the play and shooting is more accurate and controlled. The tacking is a joy now like two players will muscle it out to win the ball back the tactics are followed more in the ME than before. I don't get what people want when most of the dodgy stuff is cut out now.

What's the definition of a key highlight? United 1-1 with half an hour to go wouldn't sit back and take that, they'd bomb forward and go for the winner, I'd expect a few key highlights here. As with most games.

How often does Match of the Day stop with 30 minutes to go and show a full time result?

Yeah but it doesnt mean they are guarenteed to create a good chance. Bombing forward is one thing, but if the opp have held you for the game and your struggling to break them down, just putting on "overload" wont magically change things every time, it might require a bit more thought.

I don't think United are set up tactically to just 'bomb forward' when the need arises. A little more in tactical instruction and player role changes are involved when they need go up through the gears, prepared for endlessly no doubt. Just to shout "right lads just bomb forward" is akin to just hitting 'Overload' in isolation to me, hence why I'd not necessarily see an increase in highlights, and not be surprised if I saw less.

That's not changed with this patch, or ME version I reckon. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but.... :(

Everyone said it was predictable before and no one makes good running, I don't no why you complaining when a player has good dribbling stats and has run often as ppm then he will run. Iv only seen improvements if you want your players not to go on a run then set run with ball to rarely simples. :)

Not had much chance to get many games in with the new update, but the widgets in game are moving every time i go to the tactics screen, reported this issue for years about this and still not fixed, it's only a minor issue but annoying none the less.

Will SI ever fix this so the widgets stay where they're supposed to ?

I absolutely love the Non-ME fixes, but the most important Part about FM was that i could create a tactic in my mind and then recreate it on the field, but that is not possible right now.

This a very good point you make, the ME should allow you to make any formation work with the proper tactics and players roles and duties; i feel that this last patch limited the possibilities for simulation:

Yesterday i managed to do a little experimenting and i realized the following:

- Width slide reflects barely any difference in the field, the team sticks together in 2/3 of the pitch

- Cannot limit run at defence (maybe a new shout is needed?)

- cannot limit long shot (again new shout needed?)

- Aggressive closing in of opposition, even worse than the previous patch and makes really hard to set up a reliable defence.

The point i am trying to make is that the freedom should be left to the player to decide the amount of passing or running or closing according to the football he likes to watch/play.

Yeah but it doesnt mean they are guarenteed to create a good chance. Bombing forward is one thing, but if the opp have held you for the game and your struggling to break them down, just putting on "overload" wont magically change things every time, it might require a bit more thought.

Don't necessarily agree with this. Correct me if I'm wrong but switching to overload will change a lot, tactically. Namely: higher defensive line, wider width, quicker tempo, less time wasting. Players close down more, tackle harder and attacking players will roam more. Your team will harass the opposition to win the ball back. More players will move to zonal marking and mark less tightly so they have more space to receive the ball after winning possession.

This is quite a BIG change tactically from any other strategy. So it's not just bombing forward, it's changing a lot.

Not had much chance to get many games in with the new update, but the widgets in game are moving every time i go to the tactics screen, reported this issue for years about this and still not fixed, it's only a minor issue but annoying none the less.

Will SI ever fix this so the widgets stay where they're supposed to ?

You're joking? I reported the widgets with a detailed explanation and a step-by-step guide on how to recreate the issue pretty much on release day. Tired of having to move the damn things EVERY game and after each substitution.

Archived