TWENTY YEARS - How many have been here the whole journey?

Yes its true.... I have played every version of FM since inception. So many many memories... whoel weekend playing a seson with my friend when no one moved from the old desktop.

How many are there out there who started right at the beginning and are still going strong?

Who was the ugly chap on the covers of the first and 93-94?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I started off with this one:

Championship_Manager_

So I think that means I missed one sadly.

TBH the 93-4 cover I remember much better than the first but as I started playing before getting divorced to my first wife (no, ıt was NOT the reason) and that went through December 93 I must have played the first one.

From the original Kevin Toms cassette on the original Football Manager! There are a huge amount here who started on the Amiga.

This for me as well. Started on zx spectrum with Kevin Toms' game, as well as 'The Boss' and 'United' (saving games was bit hit and miss :) ) and then moved to Amiga in about 92-94ish, but took a break from CM/FM for a year or so in 96/97.

If FM type games improves as much as it has in last 20odd years in the next 20odd years it will be nuts.

This for me as well. Started on zx spectrum with Kevin Toms' game, as well as 'The Boss' and 'United' (saving games was bit hit and miss :) ) and then moved to Amiga in about 92-94ish, but took a break from CM/FM for a year or so in 96/97.

If FM type games improves as much as it has in last 20odd years in the next 20odd years it will be nuts.

The boss.. quality game! I somehow always managed to lose or win 4-0 the first game. One of may favourites of all time was FOOTBALL CRAZY for the Amiga... twas immense. Best thing since FM tbh

e0hpo1.png

All manner of ultimately unfulfilling spectrum games (the best of which were The Double and Tracksuit Manager imho), before discovering ChampMan2 and becoming substantially less communicative for the last 17(?) years.

The boss.. quality game! I somehow always managed to lose or win 4-0 the first game. One of may favourites of all time was FOOTBALL CRAZY for the Amiga... twas immense. Best thing since FM tbh

:) On "The Boss" each player was given 1 attribute. A number between 1-9 I think that never changed, and that was also their price. End of. No negotiation. £100k per 'point' or something. Buy or sell.

CM2 was the first SI game I played, Football Manager was the first footie manager game.

There's some people here somewhere that used to play with cardboard and stuff.

Oh, and we always used to refer to CM as "minge". I have no idea why.

I used to play a game on the Amiga where Dennis Wise and Ian Wright were 18 year olds, you picked your formation by adding players and therefore could line-up 0-0-10 if you wanted, or even 1-0-0, you could be sponsored by Sammy's Sausages and the like, and whatever team you picked you went down to the bottom division with them.

Bloody loved it, does anyone know what it was called?

I also used to love Ultimate Soccer manager, with the betting and the bribing, shame it hasn't worked on recent operating systems

didn't discover SI until CM3 (although I was also guilty of playing Premier Manager 99)

I used to play a game on the Amiga where Dennis Wise and Ian Wright were 18 year olds, you picked your formation by adding players and therefore could line-up 0-0-10 if you wanted, or even 1-0-0, you could be sponsored by Sammy's Sausages and the like, and whatever team you picked you went down to the bottom division with them.

Bloody loved it, does anyone know what it was called?

I also used to love Ultimate Soccer manager, with the betting and the bribing, shame it hasn't worked on recent operating systems

didn't discover SI until CM3 (although I was also guilty of playing Premier Manager 99)

Ive got ultimate soccer manager 2 on my pc right now for windows 6... dos box ftw

Ive got ultimate soccer manager 2 on my pc right now for windows 6... dos box ftw
I haven't tried it for a few years but I think I used to try and run it in some kind of dos emulator, in fact I think it was dos box, but still whenever I played it full-screen I could only get 1 or 2 minutes in before the colours would go mental and it would crash. Perhaps I shall try it again with a newer dos box.

I started out on the Spectrum aswell, Tracksuit Manager is the game I remember most fondly but I remember playing some others like Football Manager. I seem to remember Kenny Dalglish and Emlyn Hughes games aswell as a game based around the FA Cup where I kept drawing Tamworth, not sure if they were management games or not now.

My first CM was the 93 version, still remember a 4-0 thrashing in the European Cup final at the hands of Real Madrid from one of the early versions that really hurt at the time and still does a little now!

Started with CM back in '92, on the Amiga :)

Before that, the original football manager (and football manager 2) and also "Soccer Supremo" on the Atari ST, which I bet a lot of folks here never heard about *grins*

soccer_supremo_crysys_2.gif

I started off from CM Italia 94/95 version, then moved to CM 2 and CM 97/98. I was playing CM 97/98 for quite a while, as I had a very old CPU. When I upgraded my machine, I bought CM 01/02, which I have best memories about. Then the two worst versions ever - CM 4 and CM 03/04 - absolutely no atmosphere, bugs and nothing to hold on to. Then after the split-up with Eidos, I've played all the further versions. Strangely, the best ones were always the even numbers (06,08,10,12). I have to say I had serious doubts over FM 13 in the beginning, but I am more and more getting used to it. The interface really scared me, it was too cheesy and too picture-oriented instead of good old text-oriented stuff. It all looked like a candy - and if you know life then you know that things that look like candy are in fact **** wrapped in candy paper. Nevertheless, having won with my prejudice against the new interface, I started to enjoy FM 2013 a lot.

Before CM/FM series, I played Ultimate Soccer Manager, Football Limited and others on PC, but my first management game was Premier on Commodore 64 (along with Kenny Dalglish Soccer Management and its namesake branded by Graeme Souness).

I remember my CM debut. Went round a mates house after school, and saw this thing sitting on his desk. I asked him what it was and he reluctantly explained that he was 'sad' enough to play pretend footie management games and that this one was really good.... So we fired it up and he gave me a little tutorial. Even then, he'd get excited explaining little features to me, then he changed user and I was done for. At first I was in awe of this game, unbelievealy sucked in (as I have remained ever since) then I realised he'd been playing this game a couple of months without ever telling me!

So hear I am, still playing, but instead of hours sitting round his house playing until his parents literally kicked me out, I wait for the other half to fall asleep, grab the laptop send him a text and fire up the network game (with the same mate)

funnily enough LMA Manager for ps1 was what got me into management games, was epic them games..... but then oh my I discovered my older brothers copy of CM 2002/2003 I think it was that year.

Used to sneak on when he was at College and later University (cause he was a tight ****) until I got my own PC.

i played every version from 1992 (so that is the start ?)

i loved the first one's the most and played them sometimes a whole week in a holiday period with friend(s).

i bought and played everyone of them, FM10 was the one i had but didn't had much time to play..

cant remember the title, but i was 6 or 7, so would of been 89 or 90, and had a dodgy game on the old accorn.

you would have to start in division 4, and spend 15 years or more building finances so you didnt go broke

you couldnt score more than 4 goals

all your players had same repeating names and same seemingly endless potential

and after you spent all your summer holiday to win the 1st division and left the game on the winning screen to show your dad, it crashed :(

• Administrators

Definitely Premier Manager was the first Football Management sim I played. Also played a bit of USM, but I think CM2 was the first I played from Sports Interactive. Sadly didn't have a PC in my house until fairly late so used to just take over friends computers and play it round their houses. Think CM3 was the first one I ever actually owned myself and have played every single one since (to varying degrees of success!)

My first was CM 00/01, it was a free promotional copy from a newspaper that a friend of my Mum's had given to me to try out.

Was hooked instantly, despite having only recently gotten into football back then (I remember being proud of 'discovering' those lesser known players Gattuso, Kluivert and Zidane!)

Have since played the older ones though.

My first CM was CM2: 96/97 update, and I've played every version since that. Prior to that there was a football game on the C64 but I can't remember the name of it. When the Megadrive was the thing I used to play a lot of John Madden football (American Football) and EA Hockey. And of course Sensi Soccer on the Amiga :D

EDIT: The C64 game was Footballer of the Year!

footballer_of_the_year_07.gif

Wow! Memories come flooding back with some of those game covers.

Sir Kevin Toms football manager was the first for me, and onto CM93, God I'm old.

Proud to say never bought into the "fake" Champ Manager game.

There was an Obscure one (I forget what system) it may have been "The Double" that's been mentioned or something like "The League" but the transfer system was awesome, you really felt that you were bidding against other teams.

The latest FM is the best IMHO, just saying.

Football Director on the Amstrad CPC 464 - think I wore that tape out within months of buying it, just loved the game :)

Also been with the Football Manager series pretty much since the start, although I am sure I missed a few versions through the years as life got in the way.

CM 93 was my first ..

But it looks like 2013 is now going to be my last .

SI are going the wr0ong way to keep me on board .

Why i here u ask

becuase i am one of theses folk that like to use a so called super tactic .

and i am not a fan of the touch line shouts , because in order for them too work , you need to pretty much watch the hole match , and that takes up far too much time .

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98/99 was my first - though I imagine I am a bit younger than some judging by the state of some of the screen shots here! What a market segment to be controlling like SI have done in the last 7-8 years. When you think of the varying developers and games out there early 90's to 2 to 3 serious contenders in the 00's to pretty much 1 game now in the 10's.... Amazing

I can't remember the name of my first management game. It was on the Spectrum, and you started in the bottom division but could buy the likes of Lineker and Waddle...

Really got in to Kevin Keegan's Player/Manager on the SNES, but my favourite, until I got into CM/FM was Super League Manager. Based on a completely false world where you started in the fourth tier with the aim of working up to England manager, and paired with Emelyn Hughes International Soccer. I remember it had an annoyingly loud telephone and a plant on the desk that, if it died, would stay dead.

Definitely Premier Manager was the first Football Management sim I played. Also played a bit of USM, but I think CM2 was the first I played from Sports Interactive. Sadly didn't have a PC in my house until fairly late so used to just take over friends computers and play it round their houses. Think CM3 was the first one I ever actually owned myself and have played every single one since (to varying degrees of success!)

hehehehehe... been with the game longer than some of the sports interactive team! Thats got to be worth something! :)

Mine must have been Kevin Toms' game. Then a while later, I got the first Collyer Bros CM Domark game (the one with entirely generated players in it). I remember being like the cat that got the cream when they released the next year's version with REAL PLAYERS!! Pretty much have bought every version since.

Archived