Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One worry with Demba Ba is the rumours of dodgy knees. We have enough sick-notes already, that's why I put them on the GTFO list.

A winger must be priority now that Walcott can be considered a legitimate central option. Giroud / Walcott / Podolski is not bad depth for the central role but using he or Podolski centrally leaves us desperately short of wingers.

Is Wilfried Zaha still on the cards?

One worry with Demba Ba is the rumours of dodgy knees. We have enough sick-notes already, that's why I put them on the GTFO list.

A winger must be priority now that Walcott can be considered a legitimate central option. Giroud / Walcott / Podolski is not bad depth for the central role but using he or Podolski centrally leaves us desperately short of wingers.

This has been going around for a while and was apparently why Stoke passed on him (?) However, I don't think the guy has missed a game since he came to England has he? :D

I did wonder if it's Stoke coming up with a reason as to why they didn't take him after he was doing ace at Newcastle but everyone is always like 'oh the knees, the knees' but no sign of any issues really

This has been going around for a while and was apparently why Stoke passed on him (?) However, I don't think the guy has missed a game since he came to England has he? :D

I did wonder if it's Stoke coming up with a reason as to why they didn't take him after he was doing ace at Newcastle but everyone is always like 'oh the knees, the knees' but no sign of any issues really

Good point, for someone who apparently has bad knee's he's one of the least injury prone(if at all) players out there.

he had a botched knee surgery in the past, but yeah obviously not affected him so far

Would an England international with 34 caps do ya?

He’s definitely got something wrong with his knee. Think he has a metal plate in there or something.

Wasn’t an excuse for Stoke either. They were planning to spend £9m on him but it was too much of a risk which is understandable (not sure if they would have been able to get player insurance). West Ham supposedly had him on a pay as you play deal and Newcastle signed him on a free, so the risk to both clubs was minimal.

He’s been in England for about 2 years now without any problems with his knee and he’s played pretty much all the time as well as internationals. £7m (or £7.5m) would be a good deal for a club with plenty of cash.

From The Guardian:

Arsène Wenger insists that there is no chance of Theo Walcott leaving Arsenal in January, after the 23-year-old seized centre stage in his team's breathtaking 7-3 defeat of Newcastle United, by scoring a hat-trick and creating two others. "I rule it out," the manager said emphatically when asked if Walcott would be sold when the transfer window opens in order to prevent him leaving for free when his contract expires in the summer.

There will be continued speculation about Walcott's future unless the player ends the long-running wrangling over a new deal. Wenger is confident he will do that soon because of his strong emotional bond with the club he joined six years ago. "The club loves him and he loves the club and reciprocity in love is the most difficult thing to find," Wenger said. "My desire is to extend his contract and I think he belongs here. Hopefully we can do it."

One key factor in Walcott's decision regarding his future is the position that he is deployed in, with the player believing he deserves to feature as a central striker rather than just a winger. Recent performances have helped bring Wenger around to Walcott's way of thinking. "He can play through the middle, I am convinced of that," the manager said after Walcott scored two of this three goals from a central position. "He's done very well … and he can only get stronger in there. I believe he has become a good finisher. He has learned a lot because he is an intelligent player and because he is intelligent he will continue to improve."

Wenger refused to discuss other factors in Walcott's decision. "I do not want to talk about money or speculation about the attitude of his agent," he said.

Happy to be rid of all of those on the list providing they were all replaced (bar Chmakh and Squallachi who can go without a replacement). Knowing our injury luck the moment we got rid of Squallachi and JD TV and Kos would get injuries leaving us with no defence

We could still make a move but I don't see it now

How do you know we havnt already put a bid on the table after having talks with him last night or this morning. Just because Chelsea have had their meeting leaked to the press i doubt they will be the only club hes spoken to/will speak to.

On the flip side - what affect would signing another striker have on keeping Theo - on the basis he wants to play as a central striker

How do you know we havnt already put a bid on the table after having talks with him last night or this morning. Just because Chelsea have had their meeting leaked to the press i doubt they will be the only club hes spoken to/will speak to.

On the flip side - what affect would signing another striker have on keeping Theo - on the basis he wants to play as a central striker

Agents would have leaked to help create more buzz and interest. They have been leaking everything on him as they have tried to whore him out.

Villa is a realistic target. I think we could get him or Adrian. However if Theo is permanently to play through the middle then wingers rather than strikers are needed

It's realistic in that he would be willing because he isn't getting played and if he is it isn't in his preferred position.

Why we wouldn't sign him is his age, his recent injury, that the fee would be relatively big for his age.

They also owe us money from the Song deal

It's realistic in that he would be willing because he isn't getting played and if he is it isn't in his preferred position.

Why we wouldn't sign him is his age, his recent injury, that the fee would be relatively big for his age.

They also owe us money from the Song deal

Wouldnt be surprised if they still owed us money from Overmars and Petit - they never pay up in full and on time.

and how do you know that? :D

football transfers are exclusively paid in instalments, it's only rare instances with cash rich clubs like chelsea, city etc that pay "in full"

No, basically when you sell a player it's all up front but when you buy a player it's instalments. Think thats how it works.....

Silly season is about to start again. We will be linked with about 50 players this window, some ITK twitter people will claim we are signing another 50. Until they are pictured in the shirt on arsenal.com I'm going to try and not get my hopes up about any of them!

Aye it doesnt make any sense lol.

Agree with your list djvandyke, as much as i like Rosicky, and think he makes a good impact in games that he appears in, it would be better to have a player who isnt so injury prone, same goes for Diaby, should move him on as soon as hes eligible to pass a medical for another team, i hope we make a few signings this January and dont get the old "oh so and so is coming back from injury, thats like signing a new player"

Theo needs to hurry up and sign he needs to be realistic, Man United, City, would have him on the bench 90percent of the time being so strong up front already, Chelsea pretty much the same with the possibility of him starting as a Winger which he already has that option with us!, Liverpool would be the only other "big club" that could field him in that role he says he wants but are they going to get Champions League ahead of us? although hes a Liverpool fan so that could be a factor for him aswell, but overall i can only see his Football and England future blossoming at Arsenal and Arsenal alone!.

Id like us to sign Ba but have this terrible feeling that our luck would be that he ends up becoming injured constantly, but at 7mil i think its definitely worth the risk, though if his "representatives" struggled in talks with Chelsea last night i can only imagine he wants extremely high wages.

Archived