Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2012/2013 : featuring positive negativity

Retro

Seriously?

Look at his quotes again - he's suggesting fans will only be happy if we sign players like Messi. This is insulting and patronising. We don't want to try and fail to get the worlds greatest ever players, what we do want is to bring in better players that other clubs are going for instead of hiding behind the same excuses, e.g. Baines, Ba, Mata, Cahill, Fellaini, Vertonghen, Michu etc. it's a very long list.

Wenger has to go.

You've repeatedly moaned about us not making big signings and not signing world class players you bloody hypocrite. His comments are aimed at people like you and to be honest it is quite hard not to be patronising towards you so he's already on to a loser.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From a totally neutral point of view, I'd be quite concerned if the manager of my club was passing up opportunities to sign promising players purely based on the fact a section of the support may not agree.

If you actually read his quotes he says that Michu never came to his attention, which means his scouting network didn't highlight him as a potential signing. He doesn't say he didn't sign him because he won't buy promising players. I don't think a reluctance to sign promising players is a criticism that can be aimed at Wenger tbh.

Over the years Wenger has made a lot of signings that were promising players, and clearly he's being criticised from sections of the support for not spending big money on established players and it's obvious his comments reflect that. Also, we haven't seen a transcript of the entire interview and therefore have no idea whether the comments have been taken out of context. For those who have an axe to grind against Wenger it's convenient to take these comments at face value when it suits them.

You've repeatedly moaned about us not making big signings and not signing world class players you bloody hypocrite. His comments are aimed at people like you and to be honest it is quite hard not to be patronising towards you so he's already on to a loser.

Mata is world class and we could have got him, same with Vertonghen. Missed my point again entirely didn't you!!

If you actually read his quotes he says that Michu never came to his attention, which means his scouting network didn't highlight him as a potential signing. He doesn't say he didn't sign him because he won't buy promising players. I don't think a reluctance to sign promising players is a criticism that can be aimed at Wenger tbh.

Over the years Wenger has made a lot of signings that were promising players, and clearly he's being criticised from sections of the support for not spending big money on established players and it's obvious his comments reflect that. Also, we haven't seen a transcript of the entire interview and therefore have no idea whether the comments have been taken out of context. For those who have an axe to grind against Wenger it's convenient to take these comments at face value when it suits them.

You're such a Wengerite fanboy.

Mata is world class and we could have got him, same with Vertonghen. Missed my point again entirely didn't you!!

You're such a Wengerite fanboy.

So you agree with Wenger then? That you won't be happy unless we sign name players rather than promising no-name players? How can he be patronising when you agree with what he said?

The fact that you think he's missed out on signing name players is totally irrelevant to anything he said in that article.

So you agree with Wenger then? That you won't be happy unless we sign name players rather than promising no-name players? How can he be patronising when you agree with what he said?

The fact that you think he's missed out on signing name players is totally irrelevant to anything he said in that article.

Oh. My. God.

Mata was affordable, available and ready to join. But Wenger thought he could save a bit more money instead of paying the going rate which was well under £20m by the way. We all know how that turned out.

Mata wasn't a Lionel Messi or Ronaldo either, just a better player than what we had. If you truly believe I'm wrong then why did he go and buy Cazorla instead - an inferior and cheaper alternative much later on?

Oh. My. God.

Mata was affordable, available and ready to join. But Wenger thought he could save a bit more money instead of paying the going rate which was well under £20m by the way. We all know how that turned out.

Mata wasn't a Lionel Messi or Ronaldo either, just a better player than what we had. If you truly believe I'm wrong then why did he go and buy Cazorla instead - an inferior and cheaper alternative much later on?

I think the point you should be making is we could've had mata but instead we got gervinho. Cazorla is not inferior to mata, on par maybe but never inferior!

Oh. My. God.

Have you actually read the quotes made in that article or are have you just focussed on the single reference to Messi because it's convenient?

“They don’t want to see a promising guy.

"First of all, the name gives hope. When a guy has no name, people are already sceptical. So it’s much more difficult for us.

This is what the article is about if you bother to read it. He's talking about the fact that some supporters don't want him to sign no-name promising players, they want him to sign name players. Mata was a name player not a 'promising guy'. He used Messi as an extreme example to highlight the point (although I know how utterly witless you are so that was probably lost on you).

I'm going to repeat myself: "The fact that you think he's missed out on signing name players is totally irrelevant to anything he said in that article."

Oh and he doesn't mention affordability or cheapness in that article.

I think the point that hits home the most for me based on the last few years is that often Wenger will make positive statements about transfer activity at the start of a transfer window. We foolishly get our hopes up but as time moves on during the window, these comments become less positive and begin to focus on what we already have in terms of playing assets until the end of the window when he focusses on how much quality we already possess. It is frustrating.

He's also right about how we've had contradictory comments in a matter of days this time. One minute we're definitely going to be active, the next keeping what we have is of utmost importance. Maybe he said that last bit because there's been concerns over us losing our best players in recent years?

I like that Michu is listed in Sy's list of super players that we didn't sign.

He'd have been just like when we signed Diaby, a foreign midfielder for £2m who no-one really new anything about. Compared to Giroud, Podolski and Santi, that would have been the "risky" signing this summer.

Oh. My. God.

Inferior?! Are you insane Sy?

Yes I was talking about at the time, should have been "had" not "has"
I know what you ment, but the point stands, if they had the money they would not have needed to sell him for less then they payed to get him, in order to pay of transfer fees and wages they otherwise could not afford

Get The F*ck Out List

Lukasz Fabianski

Johan Djourou

Sebastien Squillaci

Andre Santos

Abou Diaby

Tomas Rosicky

Andrey Arshavin

Gervinho

Marouane Chamakh West Ham loan until the end of the season

Apparently Tiger Woods has the 18 majors won by Nicklaus stuck somewhere and has crossed them off one by one for each of his 14 major titles (obviously he has been stuck for a while), I can picture you doing something similar with your list. Surprised you haven't put Wenger on your list, not a closet Wengerite fanboy are you dj!? :)

Well we did try and sign both, once Chelsea came in we never had a chance with Mata and Cazorla wanted to stay in Spain and Malaga has the money to get him.

Wasn't Chelsea's bid after we had failed though? So either we didn't up our bid because of the interest from Chelsea, which seems quite likely tbf, or we thought it was too much which is stupid.

Holtby is a good player wouldn't have minded him here but he is no big miss as we don't need another player like him relative to the rest of our needs

So just theorizing here, but if Gervinho is off to African cup, Chams off to West Ham for 6months that leaves us with Giroud, Pod and Theo as Our only strikers right? so that leads me to believe that our board/manager are confident of Theo signing extension or we are very likely to be signing another striker? Is David Villa a likely incoming transfer? though we missed out on Demba Ba, Pato(who im not that keen on anyway due to lack of appearances in recent seasons and his party lifestyle, but 15million euro's to corinthians seems like something we could of afforded? and then i just read Giuseppe Rossi of Villareal is off to Fiorentina, i know hes also been out for a while but has a decent goalscorring record in La Liga, wonder how much Fiorentina got him for?

Wasn't Chelsea's bid after we had failed though? So either we didn't up our bid because of the interest from Chelsea, which seems quite likely tbf, or we thought it was too much which is stupid.

Yeah pretty sure we only came in when your bid fell through (I may be misremembering though) So happy about that :D

The Mata vs Cazorla comparison is irrelevant as the two transfers were unconnected and a year apart.

When Wenger spurned the chance to sign Mata he opted for Gervinho instead, these are the two players you should be comparing!

Had we signed Mata is there any reason to think Cazorla could not have also still happened? I think Mata would have primarily be used as a wide forward anyway.

As for Lewis Holtby I’m a little disappointed but not overly concerned.

On a free transfer it seems a no-brainer as he would have been a nice upgrade on Ramsey and the crock Rosicky but we are already overloaded with midget playmakers and would like to see a different type of midfielder.

We are crying out for a real powerhouse ball carrier to drive us forward.

The Mata vs Cazorla comparison is irrelevant as the two transfers were unconnected and a year apart.

When Wenger spurned the chance to sign Mata he opted for Gervinho instead, these are the two players you should be comparing!

Had we signed Mata is there any reason to think Cazorla could not have also still happened? I think Mata would have primarily be used as a wide forward anyway.

As for Lewis Holtby I’m a little disappointed but not overly concerned.

On a free transfer it seems a no-brainer as he would have been a nice upgrade on Ramsey and the crock Rosicky but we are already overloaded with midget playmakers and would like to see a different type of midfielder.

We are crying out for a real powerhouse ball carrier to drive us forward.

That's just simply not true. We signed Gervinho before making a move for Mata. Wenger wanted Mata, board weren't prepared to splash the cash to get him. Get your facts right in future.

Both are class players to judge Cazorla as inferior is ridiculous and just hyperbole. Mata is probably a better finisher and can dictate the tempo of a game, something which Cazorla really doesn't do much.

So in other words Cazorla is inferior to Mata! :rolleyes:

Er, Mata > Cazorla.
you are sort of comparing a nr10 (Mata) to someone who is used to play out wide (Cazorla)

did it not occur to you that players might preform better when they play in a position they are more used to, and that they might settle in faster while doing so?

you are sort of comparing a nr10 (Mata) to someone who is used to play out wide (Cazorla)

did it not occur to you that players might preform better when they play in a position they are more used to, and that they might settle in faster while doing so?

Before we switched to a 4-2-3-1 which allowed Mata to move centrally, he was utilized out wide on the left flank in a 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1) and for the majority of his Valencia career Mata was played on the wing.

Both players are world class and there's not much between them but, at this moment in time, I think Mata is the better player (and he has years ahead of him to peak) but my opinion is obviously tinged with bias.

Before we switched to a 4-2-3-1 which allowed Mata to move centrally, he was utilized out wide on the left flank in a 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1) and for the majority of his Valencia career Mata was played on the wing.

Both players are world class and there's not much between them but, at this moment in time, I think Mata is the better player (and he has years ahead of him to peak) but my opinion is obviously tinged with bias.

wasn't Valencia your spanish team? so double bias there?

Archived