Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

FM 4-4-1-1 formation (GK- WB/S-CD-CD-FB/S- WM/A-DLP/S-CM/D-W/S - AM/A - CF/S): does it represent a real life 4-4-2 or rather 4-2-3-1? :)

A 4-4-1-1 is a 4-4-1-1.

You have two banks of four, a central midfielder as a link to the attack, and a forward.

That's also how your style looks like.

A 4-2-3-1 would play with a pair of holding midfielders and probably with two wingers, positioned in the AM strata.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When wanting to test a tactic idea you have, what is the best option to use? Would it be better to go into FMT and pick a top team for like 3 games and see how they play it, it's just I have a few things I feel a need to test with an idea I have, but I don't know which one would (if one) be the best one to use. Then compare how the roles performed when you watched the match?

Does high tempo means quicker passing or it means how fast you deliver ball into attacking third?

It's passing tempo essentially, but it will affect how fast you deliver the ball forward as well by nature as the ball is moving around more quickly.

When wanting to test a tactic idea you have, what is the best option to use? Would it be better to go into FMT and pick a top team for like 3 games and see how they play it, it's just I have a few things I feel a need to test with an idea I have, but I don't know which one would (if one) be the best one to use. Then compare how the roles performed when you watched the match?

Whatever you want to do, but be aware that if you pick a top team, but then intend to start a save with a lesser team, it won't perform quite the same because the players are better and also they will be different. Alternatively start a test save with the club you intend to manage a run through as few test matches, then re-start, though I know that kind of ruins the "feel" of the save.

It's passing tempo essentially, but it will affect how fast you deliver the ball forward as well by nature as the ball is moving around more quickly.

Does it also affect decisions? One of the things I'm concerned with, is how my players behave, when they're facing a long, high, loose ball. For example: my player is standing alone in the middle of the pitch, the long ball hoofed from the penalty area is coming and instead of controlling the ball, my player hits a header straight to the opponent. It happens to players who have "decisions" attribute 14-15 (my CM's mostly). If i choose "lower tempo" is it possible that he'll be more patient?

Whatever you want to do, but be aware that if you pick a top team, but then intend to start a save with a lesser team, it won't perform quite the same because the players are better and also they will be different. Alternatively start a test save with the club you intend to manage a run through as few test matches, then re-start, though I know that kind of ruins the "feel" of the save.

Thanks Dr Hook, well I more want to see how it roughly performs, so may try a top team and then test it with a lesser team that has players capable of the job, just not a team as good as the other. The more I'm looking for is how they perform as a unit and if each role does how I want along with the TI's/PI's as the grand idea of it I feel could be applied to most teams and most formations, you'd just have to tweak certain roles.

Is there a way to get players to hit first time crosses? Players needing that extra (unnecessary) touch so that a defender can return and block the cross are driving me insane.

Tell them to dribble less and play more direct. Increasing the team's tempo will also help.

Does it also affect decisions? One of the things I'm concerned with, is how my players behave, when they're facing a long, high, loose ball. For example: my player is standing alone in the middle of the pitch, the long ball hoofed from the penalty area is coming and instead of controlling the ball, my player hits a header straight to the opponent. It happens to players who have "decisions" attribute 14-15 (my CM's mostly). If i choose "lower tempo" is it possible that he'll be more patient?

I doesn't affect decisions, they will still choose good or bad based on their attributes. Tempo only affects your team in possession, so in the case you mentioned it won't affect that at all.

Thanks Dr Hook, well I more want to see how it roughly performs, so may try a top team and then test it with a lesser team that has players capable of the job, just not a team as good as the other. The more I'm looking for is how they perform as a unit and if each role does how I want along with the TI's/PI's as the grand idea of it I feel could be applied to most teams and most formations, you'd just have to tweak certain roles.

That should be fine. Just make sure to check the player PPMs before as those can really alter what you expect to see happen. I mention that only because I fail to do that once in a while and then wonder why the player isn't doing what I wanted or expected :)

If I'm playing a flat 4-4-2, with winger(S)+FB(A) on the right side, winger(A)+FB(S) on the left, would I be better of putting my Target Man(S) on the side with the attacking winger as he's more likely to get the cross or is crossing near post going to be more reliable than crossing to back post?

Same question for the CM, one will be sitting as CM(D) or BWM(D), the other will be pushing slightly further foward as CM(S) or CM(A), should the attacking player be behind the target man or the poacher or is it more relative to the wing choices, should he be on the side with the attacking winger as there is more likely to be space?

Thanks

The "Hit Early Crosses" TI??

Not exactly what I meant, as I dont want to cross them from deeper. I do want them to cross faster when they get the ball and are in space.

Tell them to dribble less and play more direct. Increasing the team's tempo will also help.

I'll try that, seems like a good approach. Thanks!

If you're playing Possession - Pressing tactic with high defensive line away, what is the best way to deal with a well-discipline opponent play with counter-attacking strategy when their tackling is superior than yours and their counter looked very dangerous with direct pass ?

Has the loan rules changed?

I'm playing as Hull City in the second season (now in the premiership) and got Isaac Hayden on loan again and wanted to bring back Chuba Akpom, but the news states that I've already reached my loan limits from Arsenal for the season and cancelled the loan. I only have one Arsenal player on loan (Hayden)

My mistake, thought asking here was better than starting a thread. Apologies for being a naughty boy, this forum is rather hostile lately.

Informing you that it's the wrong forum is hostile? By the sounds of it you even knew the question didn't belong in these parts yet still asked anyway. If it's not a training or tactic related question it doesn't belong in this section of the forum full stop. We have separate forums for a reason, that's not being hostile ;)

Any ideas why all of a sudden after the winter break my F9 is now shooting more from long distance? prior to the break laying it off and moving into the box.

The F9 seems to shoot more often for some reason. Don't matter what version. Hasn't it been fixed for this year's FM?? Don't know but...

Have you tried the "Shoot Less Often" PI??

About 95% of my goals are conceded due to 2 reasons

1) Crosses/Corners into the box where the opposition striker gets a free header

2) A shot that is either saved/blocked/hits the post and falls right back at the attackers feet for a easy tap in whilst none of my defenders move.

How can I reduce these happening? I play a 4-1-4-1 FB (S) - CB (D) - CD (D) - FB (S) with a A (D) in front of them. WM (S) are in the LM and RM spots but do not help whatsoever in defending crosses.

2) A shot that is either saved/blocked/hits the post and falls right back at the attackers feet for a easy tap in whilst none of my defenders move.

How can I reduce these happening? I play a 4-1-4-1 FB (S) - CB (D) - CD (D) - FB (S) with a A (D) in front of them. WM (S) are in the LM and RM spots but do not help whatsoever in defending crosses.

What's your corner defending setup? Are your players tall enough?

Ideally you focus on the players providing the crosses and either mark them out of the game to be less effective or cut off the supply they receive. Your wide players at LM and RM should be dealing better with marking the oppositions wide players. How come yours aren't helping out?

CBs marking tall player, 4 players marking 6 yard box, 1 player upfront, rest on go back. And yeah they are tall for the level I'm at :)

So nobody marking the posts? If no, then I suggest you put 2 players on the post. And instead of a player upfront, I suggest putting him on the edge. You will need a Pirlo like pass to get the ball to your man upfront. If he is on the edge, he is closer to the passer and can also give you extra protection if the opposition has a man on the edge on the box.

If you think you can be a abit more attacking, you can set up like how I do. 1 on the edge, 1 forward. If there is no opposition on the edge, your player will have more time to pick out a pass to the man forward.

The F9 seems to shoot more often for some reason. Don't matter what version. Hasn't it been fixed for this year's FM?? Don't know but...

Have you tried the "Shoot Less Often" PI??

I have yes, seemed to help as got hattrick in next game and wasn't wasting shots.

Is it even possible to play a 4-2-3-1 this year? Deep or wide...

My team is Chelsea and there's material to play a 4-2-3-1 but every team I'm up against plays the **** out of me! For real? Yes some say, irl teams do that I know but wft?

I don't use some fancy setup with loads of player roles/duties, just a simple setup. I must say the ME is crap all over, crosses like never before and the name should be "hoofball manager". Defenders acting like a chicken on speed, pressing all over the place. Well i'll stop here, so my question is does anyone have a balanced 4-2-3-1 or at least can show me one? Cheers ;)

My team is Chelsea and there's material to play a 4-2-3-1 but every team I'm up against plays the **** out of me! For real? Yes some say, irl teams do that I know but wft?

I don't use some fancy setup with loads of player roles/duties, just a simple setup. I must say the ME is crap all over, crosses like never before and the name should be "hoofball manager". Defenders acting like a chicken on speed, pressing all over the place. Well i'll stop here, so my question is does anyone have a balanced 4-2-3-1 or at least can show me one? Cheers ;)

Start a new thread showing your tactics then people can give you advice on what's wrong.

Is it still possible to set individual training to low/medium/high, or is that option gone this year? Sorry if it has already been asked.

It's removed.

There is also one more big change to this year’s game that many people will have already noticed and that is the ability to set an individual intensity level for a role focus or individual attribute focus. Instead, this is reflected under “Individual Training Workload”(can be seen on both Training > Individual and Development > Training). This will update as you add/remove further areas of training, eg. an additional focus or a PPM.

Those are the two main changes for this year and both are welcome changes by me, especially the squad personality influence because it means you need to focus on squad building and get players with desirable personality types because if they have bad ones, you don’t want them rubbing off on your youth players do you?!!

Might need a bit more detail than that. Open up a new thread and then we'll talk

Ideally you focus on the players providing the crosses and either mark them out of the game to be less effective or cut off the supply they receive. Your wide players at LM and RM should be dealing better with marking the oppositions wide players. How come yours aren't helping out?

Crosses typically come in from the opposition's LM/RM and at times from the full backs or a striker running wide. My fullbacks, who are almost always in a decent position, do not block the cross at all whilst my LM/RM are high up the pitch doing nothing :(

Crosses typically come in from the opposition's LM/RM and at times from the full backs or a striker running wide. My fullbacks, who are almost always in a decent position, do not block the cross at all whilst my LM/RM are high up the pitch doing nothing :(

New thread with pictures and some more analysis : http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/446511-Help-with-defending-Crosses-Corners?p=10626890#post10626890

Bought a wonderkid in January. Plays like 10-12 games for me, then damages his achilles. Out for 4 months. Since it is near the end of the year, thats really only like a month or 6 weeks or game time, then summer break and a bit of next preseason. How badly will this affect his development?

EDIT: He was 18 at time of purchase, is now 19 come end of the season.

Bought a wonderkid in January. Plays like 10-12 games for me, then damages his achilles. Out for 4 months. Since it is near the end of the year, thats really only like a month or 6 weeks or game time, then summer break and a bit of next preseason. How badly will this affect his development?

EDIT: He was 18 at time of purchase, is now 19 come end of the season.

It can set development back and it can also see an initial drop in attributes. But once he regains full fitness and it playing again, then they should rise again.

Probably really obvious but can't work out how to retrain a players position this year... can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!

On the training screen where it says "playing position" is a drop down menu where you can select all positions and roles from a list. Set a new one and he will begin training both the new position and the attributes for the role you selected.