Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello I play in this setup

GK (D)

FB (D) - CB (D) - CB (D) - FB (D)

DLP (S) - CM (D)

W(A) - AP (A) - W (A)

AF (A)

TI: Countering, Flexible, tighter marking, clear ball to flanks, exploit right & left flank, pass into space, whipped crosses

But i'm really struggling with scoring. I want my striker to score lots of goals with crosses from the wingers and through balls from the AP. Defensively it also not great.

What can I improve?

With 4 defensive players behind them and 3 attacking players in front I imagine your central midfield is going to find life hard. Maybe make the AP a support duty instead of attack so he's more likely to be in a position to receive the ball from midfield and pick out passes to your wingers?

With 4 defensive players behind them and 3 attacking players in front I imagine your central midfield is going to find life hard. Maybe make the AP a support duty instead of attack so he's more likely to be in a position to receive the ball from midfield and pick out passes to your wingers?

I thought of that. But I want my wingers to stay wide. So if I put the AP on support, isn't the AF gonna be isolated?

Potentially, but that's always a risk when playing a lone striker on an attacking duty. I personally play with a TM(a) in front of a SS and my winger is constantly picking him out with crosses. The target man has 8 goals in 8 and the winger has 9 assists in 10. Does your striker have the attributes to play in a slightly deeper role than AF?

Potentially, but that's always a risk when playing a lone striker on an attacking duty. I personally play with a TM(a) in front of a SS and my winger is constantly picking him out with crosses. The target man has 8 goals in 8 and the winger has 9 assists in 10. Does your striker have the attributes to play in a slightly deeper role than AF?

He's not really good in the air. Best role is defensive forward. My AP's best role is SS so i can give that a try.

Have you any opinion about my defense roles?

Personally I'd have the full backs on support roles. They'll still defend but they'll also offer options out wide further back for your CM's when your wingers are up the pitch. There would be quite a big gap between a w(a) and a fb(d).

Will admit that I've got no experience with full backs on a defend duty myself though so can't really comment on how they behave in the ME.

Yes, your team is really expanded. Three really marked lines without interaction between thems. I recomend you to read this post http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-FM2015-UPDATED who explains you how to make your players interact to create better chances. My advice is if you want your wingers to stay wide then put them on a support duty, or one of them. This will stretch the opposite defense making space for the AP and they are going to be always available to pick up the ball, dribble and send crosses.

Or another option is keep your wingers on attack duty if you really want to but move them back to the midfield strata. The winger I mentioned in my post getting all the assists from crosses plays as a w(s) in the ML position. He gets lots of crosses in but still frequently gets to the byline too.

I am new to FM, having purchased it in September. I have read many threads here as I try and get up to speed.

My question: I have seen it written that the tactic is all important. How relevant are a teams attributes? I started in Vanarama South and on the team comparison page I have a mid table team in terms of attributes. Do the experienced players here believe that a good tactic can get an average team to the top of the table? If yes, at what point does that break down, can a weak team with the right tactic get to the top?

Thanks

Checking in with a really dumb question as I haven't really played seriously since FM '09

Where do I set someone as a playmaker or target man? Or is that long gone?

It is now done through player roles. There are playmaker roles and targetman roles, and these players are automatically set as those. It is no long possible to designate a target man or playmaker outside of the specific roles.

Cool thanks

So if I want my AML to get more touches, would the best way to do so just be to tell my team to exploit the left flank in the team instructions?

Yes, that will focus play down that side, but be aware that is has other effect which we are not entirely clear about- I think it will make passing more direct, up the tempo some, cause your team to play wider. It isn't clear, but be aware that it will cause some sort of change. The other option would be to make him an Advanced playmaker role in that spot if you want him to be a creator that sees a lot of the ball.

no matter what i try to change my tactic to i lose. i have copied and read loads from the forums but nothing seems to matter. i had a good run with the beta and got bristol rovers to the prem but since the launch i am shocking. every team rolls over me. lol

I played to a high standard of football and although i am no tactical genius i can't believe how little understanding i have off tactics lol.

i have read all the pinned threads in the tactics area and really enjoy cleons posts...

What do i do now... should i just retire myself and realise its just a game and not as accurate as real life or grin and bear the humiliating defeats every week until i am relegated to my level.

no matter what i try to change my tactic to i lose. i have copied and read loads from the forums but nothing seems to matter. i had a good run with the beta and got bristol rovers to the prem but since the launch i am shocking. every team rolls over me. lol

I played to a high standard of football and although i am no tactical genius i can't believe how little understanding i have off tactics lol.

i have read all the pinned threads in the tactics area and really enjoy cleons posts...

What do i do now... should i just retire myself and realise its just a game and not as accurate as real life or grin and bear the humiliating defeats every week until i am relegated to my level.

Try to start keeping the things simple and going one little step to another little step. Maybe with a 442, standard with not too match TI's or PI's and writing down the problems you find and complementing that by cheking the info in the pinned threads. It's really hard to dominate this game because its a SIMULATION of real football.

thats good advice, i do try to play the game how i was coached & keep things simple. i think i am just getting over frustrated.

I understand you because this game frustrates me a lot too, but sometimes, the "Keep it simple, stupid" philosophy helps a lot :D . But, seriously, really helps because you can find more easily the problems.

Is there a big difference between an AMC Trequartista and ST Trequartista, I'm not sure since Tre roams around and moves into channels?

Not a massive difference, except for the relative positions on the pitch- the ST Treq plays a bit higher up to start and from what I've seen doesn't drop quite as deep, but that is about it in my experience.

Thought I would post this here and see if anyone could advise...

I'm seeing some pretty atrocious defending to be honest but is it bad defending or buggy defending?

(This took me three hours and several deleted attempts to put up. The encoding times seem extremely excessive this year compared to FM15. When I just record "goals" and uploaded the package only two of the three goals were recorded despite all being available on preview and on one attempt at recording custom clips what was encoded wasn't actually what I recorded!!! The quality is also poor and this was recorded via "high quality option on the match highlights" and "very high encoded quality". I originally recorded "low ME quality option" and "high quality encoding" and it was unwatchable so advise those uploading clips to save time use the very highest quality options available! Plus why is every year the record button greyed out?!)

Anyway. The three goals I conceded.... Just bad defending or buggy defending?

[video=youtube;nFjidQXlalc]

1. Guess you can argue we see these all the time IRL. Just shoddy marking and bad goalkeeping from a free kick. Think I'll be tinkering with the set piece default!!

2. A comedy of errors. This isn't low League football it's the Premiership. What on earth is Payet doing from Sakho's poor header?! In fact what is Sakho doing just heading it with time and space to just chest that down? Payet then turns his back on the ball and that is poor at any level of football let alone top flight. Cresswell then follows the ball which is clearly a weakness of a 4312 and the Southampton full back has all the space in the world to play a cross but what's Tomkins doing with his arm in the air like that I am not playing offside!!!

3. You certainly don't expect this from a defender with high'ish composure. I certainly don't expect this when my goalkeeper has very high decisions, anticipation, reflexes, communication and agility. Mind you they didn't help him on the last two goals either!!! Maybe it's his low rushing out stat that overrules the others !

Whilst all three I guess can be put down to just bad defending it is also frustrating to see all three goals littered with bad passes and mistakes from my lot but faultless crisp passing and decision making from the opponents. It's also a worry that if it is just lousy defending they are also mistakes that as a manager I can do nothing about. It's not tactical bar maybe playing a narrow formation so I would argue that I can't avoid any of that that happening. I haven't got world class defenders but they are good Premier League defenders and all errors are basic schoolboy mistakes and the Payet standing still like a statue is either a sacking offence or a bug.

If as I say I just have to accept that as bad defending I am going to be conceding a lot of goals this season!!

I want to make Pogba unlearn his "dwells on ball" ppm. I asked my coach to do so, and he says he doubts Pogba will be able to unlearn, and that I should rather focus on teaching him "play one-two passes in order to change the pace of attack". Do I listen to my coach?

I never do...and you shouldn't either. Those guys have the worst advice at times

This is an interesting part of FM16 that I haven't worked out as yet. For example one of my players Manuel Lanzini is down as "accomplished" as a central midfielder. However on all CM roles bar one he is either "awkward" or "unconvincing". Only as a AP is he listed as "competent" but that is as high as his apparent ability in the CM roles go, so it begs the question as to why he is listed as "accomplished" in CM? Time and experimentation will tell I guess.

However obviously this will be the case for many a player in many a role. Does this mean in FM16 that you have to be meticulous in where you play a player and what role you give him? Plus when making substitutions or rotating your squad does this mean that a role change is needed to get the best out of players within a formation>? Obviously a role change could make any tactic or philosophy play totally different!!

So just in peoples early experience of FM how big an effect does playing a player in a role he is not "natural" at have or are we going down the road of having to have at least two identical players for each position if you want a consistent formation, shape and philosophy?

I should know the answer but I'm suffering a memory blank - apologies!!

training for say half back trains all the key attributes for that role - this much I know :)

If you select under additional focus another attribute (whether part of the key role or not) what affect will it have in the main role training ..... If any?

Cheers

How can I analyze my squad stats after a season? In the squad overview I don't see things like mistakes, pass completion, heading won ratio. I only get this in the league player stats, but there only for the whole league and not only for my team. Isn't it possible to get these stats only for the team?

Regards

Volker

How can I analyze my squad stats after a season? In the squad overview I don't see things like mistakes, pass completion, heading won ratio. I only get this in the league player stats, but there only for the whole league and not only for my team. Isn't it possible to get these stats only for the team?

Regards

Volker

Hi mate

You can add these to your squad view - go to the section that displays either stats, contract., general info etc and select the custom option at the top. You can then add whichever stats you'd like to see on your squad page, then put them in whichever order you prefer to view them.

Only just discovered this late into last years game but I now have about 15-20 stats showing which gives me pretty much all I need for an overview :)

Hi mate

You can add these to your squad view - go to the section that displays either stats, contract., general info etc and select the custom option at the top. You can then add whichever stats you'd like to see on your squad page, then put them in whichever order you prefer to view them.

Only just discovered this late into last years game but I now have about 15-20 stats showing which gives me pretty much all I need for an overview :)

Hi,

I can add stats there, I know. But such important stats like mistakes, pass completion, heading won rate are not available. Or I didn't find it?

Sure mistakes is there and heading, definitely pass completion - select stats from the drop down and check there

Can you please post a screenshot? Maybe the reason is, I'm playing FM-Touch and there ist is not available?

Can you please post a screenshot? Maybe the reason is, I'm playing FM-Touch and there ist is not available?

It's in FMT. If you go Analysis > Players and select the guy you want to look at, that brings up a box of stuff to choose from like Shots, Passes, Crosses and Mistakes is at the bottom of the list. Mistakes include Missed interceptions, lost ball, lost challenge, handball etc.

It's in FMT. If you go Analysis > Players and select the guy you want to look at, that brings up a box of stuff to choose from like Shots, Passes, Crosses and Mistakes is at the bottom of the list. Mistakes include Missed interceptions, lost ball, lost challenge, handball etc.

You mean Prozone - Analysis - Players?

But this is only for one Match available. I wan't a list over a complete Season.

Okay cheers.Have to say I don't notice much difference in performance for playing a player on his non-preferred side so that probably makes sense. I can see where it would be an issue (right footed only CB's with low composure and/or decisions playing on the left side maybe?) but the actual side preference doesn't seem to affect their performances, statistically at least.

Yes, but a wingback who mainly looks to cut inside with the ball just isn't a terribly useful idea.

Tell that to Pep! Oh is it just a with the ball movement? Do they do it off the ball, for example stay in a central area when your play advances further forward or drift wider? I know they'll go back to the more standard FB position when the opposition win the ball back.

Tell that to Pep! Oh is it just a with the ball movement? Do they do it off the ball, for example stay in a central area when your play advances further forward or drift wider? I know they'll go back to the more standard FB position when the opposition win the ball back.

No, love third man FB runs inside and wish it would happen more often in the ME, but the IWB's distinctive behaviour is pretty much totally with-ball.