When did your Football Management PC Gaming begin?

Mine started in 1984 with Football Manager on the BBC Micro:

[video=youtube;5nHCx2CimoY]

That was my first experience too, also on BBC, although we didn't have colour - just a green on black screen. You could always tell how likely your player was to score by which one it was. The player closest to the bottom of the screen was most likely to get it on target, the one in the middle occasionally scored, and the one at the top only once in a blue moon.

I bought just about every football management game going for the BBC (including one called soccer boss which I found impossibly hard), but the first truly great manager game I played was tracksuit manager.

[video=youtube;k2Gur2TnMds]

When I moved to the PC I stuck with the dreadful Premier Manager series setting burger prices and picking advertising hoardings for far too long before I saw the light and moved over to Championship Manager (having resisted because the early editions didn't feature stadium expansions)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started on the BBC micro too with one of those programs that you typed out from a magazine! Took me days to type it all in and about another week to work out the bugs and I tinkered with it behind the scenes once i got it working.

Can't remember exactly which version of CM I started with, but I certainly remember Michael Owen as a hot prospect 16 year old and John Barnes being a good few years off retiring in the game.

The Manager (Amiga 500)

The Manager was awesome! :D

I remember playing it for hours at a friend's place... I still have the PC version somewhere, but I have never had a successful career with it... It was insanely hard; always getting my ass kicked in the second season after getting promoted easily in the first one...

I too had the 1984 version! This thread brings back some memories. I was a tiny little boy when I played that. We had a BBC Micro, but it was about 1989/90. I loved that game. Even my mum played it. She could never play the modern FM!

Started with the original Football Manager back in 1984, then moved onto the Double, Football Director and Tracksuit Manager before eventually starting with the first CM on the Amiga and every one ever since.

Are you my double?

That's pretty much my story,though I dabbled with Premier Manager early doors, but CM/FM always conquered.

• SI Staff

One of the first ones I remember playing was Soccer Boss on my Spectrum. I played loads of different ones though. Most of which I can't remember their names. Then it was Premier Manager on the Amiga until I discovered Championship Manager 93/94.

I think it was Premier Manager 3 (still have great memories of the Shaymen, Halifax Town) on the PC when I was 11 or 12, then maybe On The Ball and Ultimate Soccer Manager before finding CM2, surviving CM3 and onto the Football Manager series.

Mine start CM in 94 only spanish, dutch and italy league I think the wonder years I called it R. Madrid, Hierro, Redondo, Zamorano, Laudrup but the best for me by miles was a youngster at the R. Madrid B team (back in the times where you could manage a B team) was Carlos Alejandro Sierra Fumero aka Sandro.

About 8 months ago, I was bored out of my mind, and decided to download the game because of the review on bit-tech, just to entertain myself for a week while I was going to be offline. Ended up playing it all the time, and barely play anything else anymore. Oh and never watched a single game irl before either, so hurray newbiness.

ZX Spectrum: Football Manager, The Boss, Football Director, Twevah Bwooking's Something or Other, Tracksuit Manager

Amiga: Premier Manager

PC: Ultimate Soccer Manager, Championship Manager, Football Manager

EDIT: Oh, how could i forget - "THE DOUBLE" on the Speccy - that was great that was.

And before all these, played a game with paper, pen and a dice where you drew out a cup competition and rolled the dice - a six was a 'nil' and the rest were just what they were. You could also play cricket with the batsmen getting runs to whatever was rolled with five being Out.

You kids don't know yer born.

• SI Staff
I think it was Premier Manager 3 (still have great memories of the Shaymen, Halifax Town) on the PC when I was 11 or 12, then maybe On The Ball and Ultimate Soccer Manager before finding CM2, surviving CM3 and onto the Football Manager series.

Yeah, special mentions to Ultimate Soccer Manager and On The Ball. I think I particularly enjoyed OTB World Cup Edition.

I remember playing a game where you literally could manage anywhere around the world. I can not remember the title of it. I think this was about 10-15 years ago.

I think my first game was Premier Manager on the Mega Drive, and exploiting a cheat I (and probably many others) found. I remember using the telephone icon and going to the scout person and buying players for like £100,000 and then immediately selling them for £500,000. If you had about 4-5 players in their at a time, buy them all and sell them for a very good profit. Sometimes you can lose money or not make anything, but was rare.

In Division 3 (League 2 these days) I remember having a 80,000 all seater top of the range stadium with decent players at my team cause of it.

Probably Soccer Boss on the Amstrad, also Tracksuit Manager and a few others that I can't remember the names of now. I've only played Championship Manager/Football Manager since the perfection that was Championship Manager 3 arrived though:D

This is where I started too except I started when I was around 6/7 years old so around 1986/87. My older brother had a Spectrum but left home in '86 to go in to the RAF so I had his Spectrum and with that came Football Manager. From then on I've always looked for Football games from Kick-off to Sensible Soccer or SWOS. As for FM/CM, I've been playing since it first came out, around '92/'93 I think. CM Italia is still probably one of my favourite versions of the game. Ravanelli, Baggio and Del Piero up front for Juventus...what a strike force! :D

Football Manager on the Spectrum and Commodore (I had both for some strange reason). Then I had Soccer Boss and Football Director on the Amstrad (which I also owned for even stranger reasons). The Double was one I always liked, though it took an eternity to play, because of loading times between matches.

Ones that stick in my mind though, in no particular order, up until (and including) the "discovery" of Championship Manager...

Premier Manager 1 & 2

On The Ball (League & WC editions)

Multiplayer Soccer Manager

Football Masters & Professional Football Masters

Tracksuit Manager

Ultimate Soccer Manager

Sensible World of Soccer

Up until the SI/Eidos split, I probably played every football management game there was. After that and SI's Football Manager, I've not felt the inclination to try anything else.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98.

Use to always play as a lowly Scottish third division side (so I couldn't get relegated), get rid of nearly all the players and bring in the best youths (who were in fact alot worse than those I'd just got rid off). Continously play with them for a few years and within 5 or 6 years you could have the one of the best sides in the world.

Awesome game.

Shortly after its release, CM01/02 came free with a new computer my family had purchased. I was about six at the time. It was just a loose disk, no instructions nor a box (very odd looking back!). Thus, I had little-to-no idea what I was doing when I first played on that now legendary game. My over-riding memory is the fact it took me two weeks of playtime to work out how to attempt to purchase players!

I played the game for years, though. I believe I played it solidly right through to FM05, which is incredible looking back. Miss the early days of my football management career very much! :)

The Manager was awesome! :D

I remember playing it for hours at a friend's place... I still have the PC version somewhere, but I have never had a successful career with it... It was insanely hard; always getting my ass kicked in the second season after getting promoted easily in the first one...

I still have the original Amiga game with box and manual! oh memories

I still have the original Amiga game with box and manual! oh memories

Was there a Norwegian version or what?

I played the Italian one (an extremely rough port I might add, filled with typos and awkwardly translated bits) but the original was German, and I'm pretty sure there was the English version too...

Archived