When did your Football Management PC Gaming begin?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember buying CM92-93 for the Atari ST with my pocket money, only to realise it needed a meg of memory :( Bought an amiga from a friend just so I could play CM. I tried a 0-5-5 formation for a joke and it worked, lots of high scoring games and central striker getting 50+ goals a season, remember winning everything with Pisa on CM Italia. :D

I used to like Football Manager 2 with the expansion pack, I just edited all my players to the max stats, at the time I enjoyed winning every game 4 or 5-0, do like a bit more of a challenge nowadays.

Possibly this on the Amstrad 464 (This was around 1991/2!)

For the PC, Championship Manager 2. We had our first PC when I was 15 back in 1999. This was included with the PC package. Me and my Dad got hooked on this! I bought CM3 with some birthday money, then collected all the editions onwards. I think I lost the earlier ones when I moved back to Brum from Coventry, so they are probs in Charity shops somewhere. I have CM4 onwards, though my Dad has FM10 and 11 at his gaff. Just realised, I did buy CM01/2 and 02/3 on the Xbox for 99p each last summer. They are on a shelf in my dining room/spare living room.

As i said in a early post, my first manager experience was with Multiplayer Soccer manager for ZxSpectrum.

But my first PC game, was "The Manager"

Just love the animations! And it was a very complete game! Finances, sponsors, stadium expand! Everything! :)

Would have been on the Amiga, not sure what one but can remember playing when i was 10/11 so around 1993. Can remember a game called Football Masters.

1st really got into FM when my sister brought our 1st PC when i was 15. Think i loaded up Championship Manager before she even had a go. Have brought every season since although i've not played FM 11 as i couldn't stop my FM10 save.

Football Director 2 for the 128k Spectrum was great, actually D&H Games made some fantastic spectrum management games.

I still play and have them on my android phone, as I do CM93/94, nothing better than having 5 minutes to burn and playing them all on a mobile phone. Brings back great memories, and get fun.

I still have Brian Clough's, Steve Nicol was a legend on it, 5 star and could play anywhere, until you picked the card that two of your players were killed in a car crash!!

Either 96-97 or 97-98: whichever had Ibrahima Bakayoko as the best player in the transfer market (in his Montpellier days)! He was pure class - I tried to sign him in every game I started! Me and a mate played for years (in-game years) as Ajax and PSV, great times!

Then bought 01-02 in which Bakayoko's stats were more in line with real life, and so ended the love affair :(

My god, I'd forgotten all about that game on the BBC. Watching that brings it all back now. I also remember breaking into the program. It was written in BBC Basic and I changed it so that any offer made for one of my players was multiplied by 10. It was also good fun changing the team names and messages that showed on screen.

At the time though, this game didn't get much of a look in; it was Elite all the way for me.

My god, I'd forgotten all about that game on the BBC. Watching that brings it all back now. I also remember breaking into the program. It was written in BBC Basic and I changed it so that any offer made for one of my players was multiplied by 10. It was also good fun changing the team names and messages that showed on screen.

At the time though, this game didn't get much of a look in; it was Elite all the way for me.

Changing the code on games - that's old school :applause:

Changing the code on games - that's old school :applause:

What was even more old school was with my first computers. In those days your games came in the form of a magazine; you would buy a magazine, go home and type out the game yourself. I still remember the day as a 13yr old, getting the code for one of my games printed in a ZX81 magazine (this was way back in 1982).

What was even more old school was with my first computers. In those days your games came in the form of a magazine; you would buy a magazine, go home and type out the game yourself. I still remember the day as a 13yr old, getting the code for one of my games printed in a ZX81 magazine (this was way back in 1982).

Yes remember doing that (from a book) but not having a flipping cassette deck to save them on so I spent hours typing them out to play them for a couple of hours or so then not being able to play them again unless I re-typed the code out. Still, I always got a buzz typing them knowing I had a game to play at the end of it - unless you misread a , for . and had to trawl through the whole script to see why the game wouldn't load.

I remember game demos, full games and pokes being on tape on Your Sinclair. Great days!

I think it was 1986, on the Commadore 64. Firstly it was Soccer Supremo, quickly followed by Mexico 86. You selected your team by entering the players initials (Eg CW for Chris Waddle) thus meaning you couldn't have two players with the same initials in your team!! No Chris Woods in goal when Chris Waddle was in the side!

And people complain about FM11!

Yes remember doing that (from a book) but not having a flipping cassette deck to save them on so I spent hours typing them out to play them for a couple of hours or so then not being able to play them again unless I re-typed the code out. Still, I always got a buzz typing them knowing I had a game to play at the end of it - unless you misread a , for . and had to trawl through the whole script to see why the game wouldn't load.

I remember game demos, full games and pokes being on tape on Your Sinclair. Great days!

The best bit was, of course, replacing all the text with swearies.

This was my first ever management game - The Double on the C64. I played it for hours and hours and hours (mainly because it took hours to complete a season!). Loved it to bits and played it pretty much until I got an Amiga 1200 and CM92/93. I've bought every copy of CM/FM ever since.

They don't make em' like this any more though!

[video=youtube;q1_M6bQpsME]

Football Manager 2009 for me :cool: After transferring from FIFA Manager, I was weirdly surprised to find that there were hardly any club logo's & no Player Faces :D

Football Manager doesn't need these superficial embellishments. :)

This was my first ever management game - The Double on the C64. I played it for hours and hours and hours (mainly because it took hours to complete a season!).

Gillingham was the team to be IIRC, Tony Cascarino, Steve Bruce possibly(?), Tydeman or somebody. Strongest squad anyhow. And the most you could sign someone for was £650k for Ian Rush. Great game, you're right though, it did take hours, almost as long as the season-end update on early CMs but that was just how things went.

Player Manager on Amiga, 1990 or so.

I still remember that I made a 2-5-3 tactic which was absolutely awesome. The two defenders were set to "cover" in all the 12/15(?) tactical areas, and at least three of the five midfielders were always in the centre of that square. The three strikers were set in a "stair" formation up front, so that when one of the 7 other players got the ball, he passed it to the nearest striker who passed it on to the next who then passed it on to the next who was then one-on-one with the keeper.

Worker like a charm and was beautiful to watch :D

was the best game ever made ...i played it a few weeks ago ...stil great

One of the first ones I remember playing was Soccer Boss on my Spectrum. I played loads of different ones though. Most of which I can't remember their names. Then it was Premier Manager on the Amiga until I discovered Championship Manager 93/94.

I had Soccer Boss it was one of about 5 or 6 budget specy football manager games I had. I think either FM1 or FM2 on specy was first I played along with The Double, Tracksuit Manager and Football Director.

does anyone remember the football game , where you had to be a player , and you started as a yth player in someones reserves

in a game you had choices to do when the ball came to you and you got rewarded with a star rating

you had to rack up stars to get better form and become a better player

amazing game

management wise i think i have had every single footy game since the late 80s / early 90s

does anyone remember the football game , where you had to be a player , and you started as a yth player in someones reserves

in a game you had choices to do when the ball came to you and you got rewarded with a star rating

amazing game

Footballer of the Year?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/IlOuTzY7FWc

amazing game

management wise i think i have had every single footy game since the late 80s / early 90s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Star_Soccer

This? Was a decent game to muck around on for a bit.

And don't forget you could spend 15 minutes waiting for the game to load, only to find it didn't work because the volume control on the tape recorder was set wrong.

Yes. Had a few games just crash on me after taking 15 mins to load. Action Force did that to me often, still never really complained even considering the game cost £1 in the bargain bin.

Good old times!

I got The Manager from my friend in the early 90s and played it for a couple of years. It was a great game, but my blood was "poisoned" when Championship Manager 2 was released. I've had almost every CM->FM since. :)

[video=youtube;eLBNhCBC6kU]

My first I am disappointed to admit is FM2009. I played a couple of PS1 football manager based games but I can't remember the names. I'm too young to remember any of the older stuff, I'd only ever heard of FM at the time that FM2009 was released. :o

Archived