Does Your Wife or Girlfriend Support Your FM Obsession?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 5 years I think mine has come to terms with it.... I've allready anounced that between the 30th october and roundabout 15 november I will be locked in the study with my new copy of FM 2010 and a vast supply of my favorite herb :) 'Just like the last few years' she sighed with a grumpy face...

But I just now she will be bringing me my dinner and the occasional beer because she knows eventualy i'll make it up to her by massively overspending myself again on some silly jewelery or a holliday to some tropical location again.

FM is begining to become a ridiculously expensive hobby for me :S

My wife is used to FM now, it's been part of our lives since we got together 9 years ago now.

Albeit it's not part of our lives she wants but she understands how important it is to me, just...

There are ground rules though.

1. No playing it for longer than 5 hours at a time.

2. No shouting profanity while she is in the house.

3. No playing FM when we have guests - it's rude, apparently (even when you hate the guests).

4. I have to have done designated house chores first.

5. If she wants to go out 'shopping', FM must wait (but when I get home, rule 1 is scrapped for that day only).

Overall, I can't moan.

I'm 32 now, and I'm actually vbery thankfull to my wife for being quite strict with me because if she wasn't, I'd find it very difficult to not slip back into old habits...

And these days, with games like Call Of Duty etc, spending vast amounts of time gaming is so, so tempting.

In a way, I'm dreading FM coming out, I know I'll be bending those rules for the first 2-3 months and this year, with MW2 coming out too, I'm going to be in the cack numerous times without doubt.

This is the most obvious advert AGAINST marriage I have seen! You poor man!

This is why SI need to develop a 3D trophy room. So you can show people around and prove that the "silly game" isn't a "waste of time".

"Oh I'm sorry love, where's your 5 consecutive league titles, 4 FA Cups and 4 Champions League trophies? Mine are right here, but I don't see yours. You know the rules; No trophies, no opinion!"

That would be excellent; also useful for other "its just dots" people.

My Girlfriend has pre-ordered the game for me AND due to my internet being down (I'm writing this through the wonder of my google phone) she's bought me a dongle for my laptop so I can download the demo when it gets released!

She sounds like a keeper, I would say marry the girl but see excerpt 1 above - things might change if you do!

I bought my wife a laptop last year the day before FM09 came out...best move I ever made. Now she can be on Facebook all night next to me on the sofa and I can (quote) "look at those funny dots all night..."

To add spice to the evening I usually ask her opinion on the relative strengths of 4-4-2 as opposed to a lone striker, or inform her of my desire to sign an unknown Brazilian sixteen year old. I can't quote her reply here as it may offend...

Still, it works for us...

im quite lucky as my girlfriend of almost 7 years is obsessed with cod (the game, not the fish!) and everything x box 360 related. She has her 27 inch HD tv on the right of the desk whilst i have my 27 inch HD tv (connected to my pc) on the left. she has bought me past versions of the game (FM 08 & FML) and as she is a football fan she even offers me tactical advice. in some games I have made her in the editor and sign her as my assistant. she enjoys a good game on pes though....

My wife tolerates it, but sincerely HATES it.. :D - We've had our share of arguements over my amount of time spent at the PC - However I'm a software-engineering student so I can always just say "nono, i'm studying.." :D

Never ceases to amaze me how women can sit for hours playing solitaire and the like. Also, my missus is massively into this "Farm Ville" nonsense on Facebook atm. I swear to God I'll be in the middle of a massively important match (you understand) and out of nowhere:

"Oh quick! I need to harvest my grapes/melons/cotton etc!..."

Um.... no. :D

:D my girlfriend is just like this, so never bothers me about FM so i'm happy

What's a girlfriend? :(

I do not fully understand why you ask such a thing. I only think that robots should ask a question like this. Maybe you are saying this as a joke or to make people talk to you or make this thread increase ect.

Definition of a girlfriend I think is

A female friend with whom a man or boy is romantically or sexually involved or it could be a female friend has a friendship with a boy or girl that he or she can trust each other.

Like the OP, I am sure my GF would buy me the game but I am one of those that wants it NOW! so she would probabaly be able to pick it up the weekend after release day but I am always at Zavvi (now HMV!) just before closing the day before release to see if I can pick up an early copy, or if not then back waiting for opening time on release day (she has a "life", her time has some limitations. On FM release day I do not!!! LOL).

Sunday she did distract me from my current St Etienne game to take me aside to perform an act that only someone very much in love would do ;-) so I may have to contend with that when the new game is out - but you what, I can live with that.

Can I ask... Does anybody else find themselves doing what I do. When me and the girlfriend sit down to watch a film, every now and then reach down to the laptop that is strategically placed on the floor next to me, and quickly yet discretely tap the space bar 4 or 5 times just to continue the game a little bit? Only to realise that quickly and discretely was very far from the truth!

FM WAG's! Now theres an idea for a website or thread where the FM WAG's can all go and chat about things while we get on with the serious business of managing.

Yeah :thup:, it could be all pink and sparkly.... and have pictures of kittens and puppies and shoes in it!!!!

Never ceases to amaze me how women can sit for hours playing solitaire and the like. Also, my missus is massively into this "Farm Ville" nonsense on Facebook atm. I swear to God I'll be in the middle of a massively important match (you understand) and out of nowhere:

"Oh quick! I need to harvest my grapes/melons/cotton etc!..."

Um.... no. :D

hahaha same! i cant understand why my girlfriend needs to get on bloody facebook to pick some ****ing cotton... its just a little farm... i mean, southend away to scunny in the league cup is much more important.

my g/f of 3 and half years likes it too,she hasnt gone through the fm phase for a while though but i tend to love it almost all year through!! Im sure soon enough she will get the urge.

We are both football lovers in general and support the same team of course she did authorise the purchase of ESPN for the football too, what a cracking g/f to put up with all this football!

Soooo I'm sure this question has already been asked but my girlfriend of six months is buying me FM10. How cool is that? She's a huge fan of football too. I've told her a bit about the game and how large the community of players is and she has preordered the game for me as an anniversary gift. And she even went so far as to say when it releases she'd like to see it. Don't know how others would feel about this but I think I'm pretty lucky. Who knows? Maybe she'll orchestrate for me that often illusive Lionel Messi Transfer.

Curious if any one else has experienced such support with FM.

My girlfriend discovered Gabriel Agbonlahor. Does that answer your question?

I managed to turn my missus into the only wife in Cambodia who genuinely loves real football. She's also been very tolerant of my FM obsession. However, we've recently hit a tricky spot when the other week she discovered the joys (?) of Spider Solitaire. Now I can't get the lappie off her. Can't really justify spending $500 on a laptop just to play cards; I need a cunning plan ...

my wife supports my obsession (2 hours a night) as i play it when all the crap female orientated programs are on the gogglebox, you know, emmerdale, corrie, eastenders,that moron Gok Wan and so on. she has even pre ordered FM2010 for me as an early birthday present (god bless her). her only moan comes when i yell abuse at my players, her stock answer is "computers!!! they want a bloody bomb under the lot of 'em."

my girlfriend though. well, thats another story, ;), (only joking darling :)) - she might be reading this.

The current Mrs doesn't really care, as we live apart now. When we did live together she didn't care then either, she would be watching her CSI, X-factor, etc and be on her laptop at the same time. When watching a match once, my step-daughter did ask the Mrs how do you put up with that, she replied i just switch off to it.

Archived