Football Manager Sound

Hi Football Manager community,

I've been a new member here for this thread. And I have a question to football manager moderator.

Do you think the change football manager sound? If you will the change it, fm players will be happy i think. Because this is the same for years and boring.

You can change it for the diversity and atmosphere.

I hope it.

Thanks.

I for one play with the sound off, so I'd rather a half-dozen other things be fixed before they start messing around with sound effects. Even adding commentary would get repetitive rather quickly.

I for one play with the sound off, so I'd rather a half-dozen other things be fixed before they start messing around with sound effects. Even adding commentary would get repetitive rather quickly.

I'd like to see some generic chants during a game to give a little more atmosphere, but I'd say no to commentary. My opinion.

One of the things that appeals to me about FM is that I can multi task and watch/listen to something else while playing it.

No matter how good the sound is on FM, I'll turn it off.

Why? I don't want play fm with playlist or other. I want play fm with supporter atmosphere and this is my right. I give money to football manager and I want to improve this game.

Why? I don't want play fm with playlist or other. I want play fm with supporter atmosphere and this is my right. I give money to football manager and I want to improve this game.

I'm not saying that it shouldn't be improved for the people who use it, just that it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

One of the things that appeals to me about FM is that I can multi task and watch/listen to something else while playing it.

turning sound off is the first thing i do when i get a new FM, doubt i will ever change that

Definitely these, I don't think I've ever had the sound on for FM. Usually podcasts, music or TV to drown out my swearing when I concede

I have the sound on FM low just loud enough to hear and normally have music or TV on when I'm playing

I agree , seriously they should improve the sound of the fans , Add some chants from real fans like bayern fans , arsenal , barca etc would be great addition to fm , everyone is bored with the sound atm .

:lol:

• Administrators

Would love the sound to be improved in-game personally, but it's not up to me. :D

It's difficult to know how many people don't play with sounds because they don't like the sounds we have in game, and how many would just never use sounds full stop. In terms of priority levels, I'd say for the game as a whole it's fairly low, but given it's not been looked at in quite a long time it may be a little bit overdue.

it would be great to hear "you will never walk alone" at anfield without any doubt :). This can be too much of course - but at least I think the fan reactions can be improved a lot; they can be diversified a lot in many areas such as last minutes, after goals, before penalty kick, after red cards, etc..

This is one of my expectations for years. The sound is too generic. Does not excite.

the thing is SI doesn't need to do new sound. All they should do is improve on existing model. Community is more than willing to make soundpacks. I did the commentary soundpack three years ago and others did chant packs that used team specific chants so it was possible to mod the game and hear you'll never walk alone when you play liverpool.

but as it was neglected for so many years the team (and player) specific chants don't work anymore and nobody figured out how to go around this. so, yes, sounds need improving and no, SI doesn't need to go around stadia compiling the sounds or using third party to acquire them. they need to update the sound.cfg and events.cfg work and make it moddable for community and we will get very good sound in short time.

I totally agree with MBarbaric, all SI need to do is provide the framework and the community will do the rest. It has always annoyed me that when I score with a lower league team I hear thousands of people. The only difference is that the volume is a bit lower than if I'm playing as Man Utd. I would certainly use sound if it was any good but since it is now counter productive for creating game atmosphere, I always turn it off instead.

The current match sounds are really awful, Probably on par with a handful of 90s football games. Im not after fifa style improvements, But even just a few tweaks would make it a game where i could have sound on for a change!

on par with 90's games? you didn't play SWOS did you?

back on topic though. i am one of the minority that always used sounds, that is what makes me even more sad about the current situation. i really think SI should allocate a bit of resources to make the modding available as that should be middle ground. no need for expensive sound engineering just a bit of time from programmers to make current options work. that is it.

This for me too, usually watching TV or something whilst playing FM, don't have the time to get into a big save without doing other stuff at the same time.

Why all these people on here say they play FM without any sound on so they can watch TV or Listen to music....Do them same people go to a football match and tell the crowd to be quite

because your trying to watch Eastenders or corrie...Lol

Why all these people on here say they play FM without any sound on so they can watch TV or Listen to music....Do them same people go to a football match and tell the crowd to be quite

Hardly the same scenario is it?

I am in what seems to be the minority camp in that I do play with match sounds on and would really like it to be improved in a future edition. I have downloaded custom sound packs in the past and they do (IMHO) add something to the game. I remember there was one custom pack which had chants of "Sack the board, sack the board" if the team were playing badly and "the referee's a w***er" when a decision went against you.

Played the sounds for a while years ago but gets boring and repetitive really quickly so now I turn them off at game install. Years ago someone made a soundpack of various chants from different clubs which was very entertaining and I could see myself using an updated version of that if I ever found them again. Mostly though I listen to my music or noodle on my guitar while playing matches in full.

the thing is SI doesn't need to do new sound. All they should do is improve on existing model. Community is more than willing to make soundpacks. I did the commentary soundpack three years ago and others did chant packs that used team specific chants so it was possible to mod the game and hear you'll never walk alone when you play liverpool.

but as it was neglected for so many years the team (and player) specific chants don't work anymore and nobody figured out how to go around this. so, yes, sounds need improving and no, SI doesn't need to go around stadia compiling the sounds or using third party to acquire them. they need to update the sound.cfg and events.cfg work and make it moddable for community and we will get very good sound in short time.

Very good points made here by MBarbaric, yours (and others) efforts were much appreciated in trying to improve the sound.

I think SI will be improve the sounds in fm for next time. Maybe generally plays with listen music or watch TV in game, but if, improve the sounds, they will plays fm with sound in my opinion.

Nah, you're alright. Like I said, I'll never play FM with sound, and have absolutely no interest in it. I'd be surprised if I'm alone in that.

I find it a bit that weird that on 1 hand people say they have no interest in improved sound for the game but on the other hand there are plenty of threads on about people going that extra mile to immerse themselves, ie wearing a suit for cup finals shaking door nobs and 1 im guilty of singing my clubs songs at the tv when things are going well etc etc. Ofcourse FM is a game you can relax with and multi task with a movie in the background or what not if you want, but i like to immerse myself when playing and i feel that sound wise i do not have the option as the current sound is annoying and headache inducing. I used to install the sound packs back in the day but its been a few years since ive found a working copy for recent editions of the game.

And just an honest question to those that say they will not use the sound even if it gets improved... Would you not feel tempted to have sound on in the big games (cup finals etc) to make that game a lot more atmospheric if it was done right?

The sound atm dosn't do what sound intends to do which is add atmosphere its just an annoying noise which brings you a nice headache so no wonder hardly anyone has it on atm, i like to have the sound on but even i cant bare it 90% of the time.

I find it a bit that weird that on 1 hand people say they have no interest in improved sound for the game but on the other hand there are plenty of threads on about people going that extra mile to immerse themselves, ie wearing a suit for cup finals shaking door nobs and 1 im guilty of singing my clubs songs at the tv when things are going well etc etc. Ofcourse FM is a game you can relax with and multi task with a movie in the background or what not if you want, but i like to immerse myself when playing and i feel that sound wise i do not have the option as the current sound is annoying and headache inducing. I used to install the sound packs back in the day but its been a few years since ive found a working copy for recent editions of the game.

And just an honest question to those that say they will not use the sound even if it gets improved... Would you not feel tempted to have sound on in the big games (cup finals etc) to make that game a lot more atmospheric if it was done right?

The sound atm dosn't do what sound intends to do which is add atmosphere its just an annoying noise which brings you a nice headache so no wonder hardly anyone has it on atm, i like to have the sound on but even i cant bare it 90% of the time.

Not at all. I really mean it when I say that I would never use the sound, even if it was completely overhauled. It just doesn't suit the way I play, and there's things I'd much rather be listening to if anything than canned crowd noise.

I can see why some would like it improved though, so if they were to assign resources to do it then fair enough, I'd just rather other things took precedence if the result was taking resources away from those things.

• Administrators
it would be great to hear "you will never walk alone" at anfield without any doubt :). This can be too much of course - but at least I think the fan reactions can be improved a lot; they can be diversified a lot in many areas such as last minutes, after goals, before penalty kick, after red cards, etc..

This is one of my expectations for years. The sound is too generic. Does not excite.

Problem with using say "You'll never walk alone" is we'd need a licence to put it into the game which of course wouldn't be cheap. Every piece of 'music' even if done in the style of a chant would need clearance.

Problem with using say "You'll never walk alone" is we'd need a licence to put it into the game which of course wouldn't be cheap. Every piece of 'music' even if done in the style of a chant would need clearance.

As already said, you don't need to add them just like we haven't needed you to add Premier League logos or real competition names for us to be able to have them in our games. Just code in the possibility to have individual team chants and different combinations of sound packs for different levels of audience and the community will do the rest.

Oh dear, seriously?

I play with sound low, if I had sound higher and no tv or music on it would just do my head in, it doesn't really matter if they added more sounds, chants etc I would still do the same.

Anyway there are far more important things for SI to concentrate on.

I always thought the sound in FM, was a massive opportunity for SI.

The sound at present is minimal, if used at all and if I was working for SI, I would be looking at the possibilities of building into the game a "Radio Player" and looking to link up with the likes of TALKsport & Community Podcasts etc, to stream these within a player in the game

I don't think this is too bad of an idea. You see crowds at places like Besiktas who make a massive racket and help spur their side on in big games, it'd be great to manage a club like them and just hear your fans outsinging most home teams away in Europe, and then the famous 140 decibels screaming Kartal Gol Gol Gol at the Vodafone arena in Istanbul, intimidating the away side. I feel that support and fans is an area that is slightly lacking in fm

I always thought the sound in FM, was a massive opportunity for SI.

The sound at present is minimal, if used at all and if I was working for SI, I would be looking at the possibilities of building into the game a "Radio Player" and looking to link up with the likes of TALKsport & Community Podcasts etc, to stream these within a player in the game

I have seen this mentioned before, fair enough, but where is the added benefit to the game or to SI for doing this in the game when users can just do it themselves in a browser?

I'm well aware of the situation Neil, of course these licencing issues are annoying and not easy as it seems. But as I wrote at least sound reactions in the stadium can be improved a lot. Due to lack of that, unfortunately many FM players mute the sound.

The point is that FM is a game where the sounds have absolutely no impact on the gameplay- you don't need to hear anything to play, and having them on/off doesn't put you at any kind of advantage/disadvantage. In that respect, it falls in with 3D graphics and (albeit to my chagrin) the text commentary. And yes, opening it up to the community to let us do it so SI don't have to, as with text commentary and press conferences, would be a massive step forward.

That's not to say it wouldn't be nice if they were improved, but they're way, way down the priority list. Hell, even FIFA still has pretty mediocre sound a lot of the time, and that's a game which places much more emphasis on the presentation than FM.

But SI do place importance on presentation. They've put a lot of detail into the visuals lately, ranging from detailed stadiums, little things like water bottles or variety of terrain to subtle animations. But for some reason they completely neglect the sound even though it would surely take a lot less resources to update. Some of the functionality people are asking for is very basic and includes things that have even existed in past versions. While I also play with sounds off and probably always will I definitely think they should show at least some minor attention to it. I remember one SI employee recently replying to a similar request to update sounds in FM by saying something like 'I thought everyone turns it off anyway'. I mean, really? If that's the attitude they might as well remove sounds altogether and see how that goes down.

Archived