It would never happen in real life

Whilst managing Inter in my 1st season and after winning the league i decided to do what i usually do and check the league tables for the 11 leagues that i had running. Barcelona win in spain, ajax in holland, porto in portugal, cska moscow in russia, anderlecht in belguim, celtic in scotland, PSG in france, shaktar donesk in ukraine, Dortmund in germany and finally, Bolton win the league in the england, come again?.

Now this sounds kinda weird, but i feel like quiting the game. No way would this happen in real life. What amazes me more is they won 33 games, drew 3 and lost 2. Owen bloody Coyle is a premiership winner, this can't be right!!! I can see him trading in his shorts and jumper for a rather new fashionable shorts suit blazer in a light shade of pink, as worn my posh toffs or people who live in east london.

Should i quit my save?, for me, the realism is dead...knowing my luck too i'll get drawn against them in the champions league to totally kill all realism. I know this game is simply a glorfied data program, but surely there should be some code written in saying they won't win the league. I know in theory anything is possible, but this can't happen and never will in real life.

i might play one more season to see where they end up, other then that...this game is ruined...

102 points is unlikely for anyone, but Bolton in the 1st season? That is crazy.

But I still wouldn't quit my game over it. How does it really affect you since you are playing in Italy? If I quit over that, there would be 24-30 hours wasted.

Surely managing you managing Inter would never happen in real life? Freak things can happen, more so in a computer simulation. After all, don't we all have our joy on FM because to some extent things happen that never would in real life? Read the umpteen FM career updates of people taking little clubs to the top in under ten seasons. It's part of the fun, and the unpredictability. Sometimes results get away from"reality" but that is to be expected.

Welling United making the Prem isnt realistic.

East Stirlingshire winning the champions league and opening a 60k seater isn't realistic.

Taking Wales or Scotland or whoever to World Cup glory isn't realistic.

It's a game, if you want to be that realistic not sure if the game's meant for you.

on the verge of a nervous breakdown?

its unlikely to ever happen but who knows..

i wonder what the odds would have been on swansea coming up and getting into the top half of the table and out passing most of europe or newcastle challenging for a european place and being well above the likes of liverpool ..

stranger things have happened than bolton winning the league ..

but yeah... considering quitting because of that, especially when you arent even managing in that league is madness

Personally, I like it when small teams rise to the top. The more random and obscure the better - it's just too boring when the same couple of teams win it every time.

That said, Bolton winning the league as emphatically as that in the first season is pretty whacky. Never a game breaker though.

Wonder what the odds were on Newcastle being where they are no this season? or Montepellier being top of Ligue 1?
Probably far inferior to Bolton being top of the table with 102 (102!) points...

Freak things happen in reality - but in some cases, even a single event happening can be statistically significant. I'd consider it a bug, since quite frankly no other club would come close to 100 points in the Premier League and won't for a very, very long time (due to the distribution of the strength of the league near the top).

alright

what about THIS for unrealism

BC82B826BDC76EADFB7094917F859760691250E8

title race went to last day, i won, they drew, at 80 minutes it was the oppsoite.

title race was a 2 horse race for ages.

and wolves finished 3rd?

also barca got knocked out in first knockout stage in the champions league

Inter hiring some guy no one's ever heard of wouldn't happen in real life either. Don't see you quitting your game over that.

They just did the other day ;)

No need to cry over Bolton winning the league. You should post up their Champions League successes if they have any. I've had Real Zaragoza winning La Liga twice in a row on FM08 in seasons 2 and 3 IIRC.

Do you run the English league in full detail?

I'm currently managing in Brazil, but I have the English, German, Spanish and Italian league matches running in detail just so I don't have to see such bizarre results when I check on how they're doing.

Why can't Bolton Win???

Blackburn, PNE, Sunderland, Sheffield United, and many more have won premierships before..

Sheffield Wednesday in fact won 2 seasons straight once, would you bet that now? No.

Leeds won in in 92, and even Nottingham Forrest have taken a few titles.

Some of these teams simply fell away the next season.

So why cannot a average team have a blinder of a season and pinch a title?

Why can't Bolton Win???

Blackburn, PNE, Sunderland, Sheffield United, and many more have won premierships before..

Sheffield Wednesday in fact won 2 seasons straight once, would you bet that now? No.

Exactly what he said :D anything is possible in football really.

Just a side note only Blackburn out of them teams have won the Premiership, all the others won the old Division 1. Just little gloat there sorry ;)

Why can't Bolton Win???

The problem is not that it happened but the fact it is first season. When most of those teams won the league there was not as much money involved so it was easier to break into the top teams. Blackburn are the exception but it is no coincidence they had to spend big thanks to Jack Walker. The twenty years since the rebranding to the premier league no-one has come from relegation tipped to overachieve to the point of winning the title.

The problem is not that it happened but the fact it is first season. When most of those teams won the league there was not as much money involved so it was easier to break into the top teams. Blackburn are the exception but it is no coincidence they had to spend big thanks to Jack Walker. The twenty years since the rebranding to the premier league no-one has come from relegation tipped to overachieve to the point of winning the title.
And breaking the Premier League points tally record to pieces on the way, too!

Would be interesting to find out why they won. Worth looking into further, really.

Can't trust Wolves though, most random team in the game imo. Could be awful, could be world beaters.

For me the deviations from reality (even without human player influence) are what makes the in-game football world more interesting than the real one, though people do prize some sort of reality (even if the concept of having an upper limit for how a lot of clubs do, suggested on here a while ago, is ridiculous) and for them that really would be a little odd. Still, very small thing to be considering quiting the game.

Personally, I like it when small teams rise to the top. The more random and obscure the better - it's just too boring when the same couple of teams win it every time.

That said, Bolton winning the league as emphatically as that in the first season is pretty whacky. Never a game breaker though.

Agreed, I find it much more entertaining when it's not just man utd, arsenal etc at the top. I have no ill will against them, but I just like the underdog, I like when teams triumph against the odds.

Surely managing you managing Inter would never happen in real life? Freak things can happen, more so in a computer simulation. After all, don't we all have our joy on FM because to some extent things happen that never would in real life? Read the umpteen FM career updates of people taking little clubs to the top in under ten seasons. It's part of the fun, and the unpredictability. Sometimes results get away from"reality" but that is to be expected.

Great post and I totally agree :thup:

Would be interesting to find out why they won. Worth looking into further, really.

Can't trust Wolves though, most random team in the game imo. Could be awful, could be world beaters.

Wolves have a highly determined and mentally resilient squad, so more often than not, they vastly outperform their average CA. I'm just grateful this no longer means watching Mick McCarthy rotate among the top 5 clubs after a few seasons.

Did they buy anyone good?

Did they get taken over by a tycoon?

Is Owen Coyle still there?

Maybe Ngog is actually really good!!!

Don't be ridiculous! :D Ngog's about as talented as my Nan, and shes 6 foot under. At least she knows where the box is...

Post more details (scorers/signings etc) about Bolton pls. There must be something that would point towards their success. A few other points though... not many people have said such things so this is quite different from the "why do the top 6 always win" complaints...also, if Man Utd won 12 out of 20 leagues on your game you might be saying it is unrealistic! - it's football, it happens (occasionally) and that's why we love it but mostly...it's a game!

As I was reading this, I thought that the OP's complaint was all the leagues being won by the "predictable" teams, which in fairness could also be argued as a bug as that also never really happens in real life!

But as I understand it the OP is unhappy at the one surprise out of 11 leagues? If it was my save I would think it was pretty cool that Bolton had won the league in my unique save. I certainly wouldn't quit!

And believe me, I'm an advacator for realism on FM - there are many aspects of the game I'd change - but even the biggest advacator for realism that there is (x42bn6) must be able to agree that it is not a game-breaker if a surprise package wins a league, even in first season.

Get over your paddy, then concentrate on retaining Serie A with Inter (and watch out for that dastardly Lecce team who could defy all the odds to win it next season, ala The Trotters!)

(& a final note - the OP's opinion that there should be some hard-code that Bolton cannot win the league... that is the single-most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these forums - and that's saying something! Not very realistic either... I'm pretty sure Bolton don't have a tag on them in real life saying they can't win the league, even if they win the league. And what about the players of the game starting with Bolton? Puts them at a slight disadvantage doesn't it!)

As I was reading this' date=' I thought that the OP's complaint was all the leagues being won by the "predictable" teams, which in fairness could also be argued as a bug as that also never really happens in real life!

But as I understand it the OP is unhappy at the one surprise out of 11 leagues? If it was my save I would think it was pretty cool that Bolton had won the league in my unique save. I certainly wouldn't quit!

And believe me, I'm an advacator for realism on FM - there are many aspects of the game I'd change - but even the biggest advacator for realism that there is (x42bn6) must be able to agree that it is not a game-breaker if a surprise package wins a league, even in first season.

Get over your paddy, then concentrate on retaining Serie A with Inter (and watch out for that dastardly Lecce team who could defy all the odds to win it next season, ala The Trotters!)

(& a final note - the OP's opinion that there should be some hard-code that Bolton cannot win the league... that is the single-most ridiculous thing I have ever read on these forums - and that's saying something! Not very realistic either... I'm pretty sure Bolton don't have a tag on them in real life saying they can't win the league, even if they win the league. And what about the players of the game starting with Bolton? Puts them at a slight disadvantage doesn't it!)

If the Premier League season in someone's game finished with one team scoring over 1000 goals, would that be a bug? It is certainly possible for it to happen in reality.

In some cases, even the presence of a single event can be statistically significant.

To me, the odds of even Manchester United or Manchester City finishing with over 100 points in the first season would be extremely unlikely - and Bolton doing that would be even less likely. But just like the 1000 goals scenario, just because it is unlikely doesn't make it not a bug.

I'm not that surprised, Bolton are a fighting team and yes in real life, they do tend to get good results against good teams (not that much this season) and they do have some good players: Davies, Klasnic, the two youngsters on loan from Arsenal, Jaaskelainen... Granted it's unexpected but football is not an exact science. Look at Forest who nearly were promoted two years in a row and now are fighting not to be relegated to league1. Or Southampton that will more than likely get promotion two years in a row. Remember when Newcastle were relegated? This year, I would not be surprised to see Villa go down: they have some very good players and yet are not too big to fail.

So surprising yes, but above all, this is a game and anything can happen. I mean I've just brought AFC Wimbledon from League2 to the EPL in 3 seasons! :) How likely is that to happen IRL?

If the Premier League season in someone's game finished with one team scoring over 1000 goals, would that be a bug? It is certainly possible for it to happen in reality.

In some cases, even the presence of a single event can be statistically significant.

To me, the odds of even Manchester United or Manchester City finishing with over 100 points in the first season would be extremely unlikely - and Bolton doing that would be even less likely. But just like the 1000 goals scenario, just because it is unlikely doesn't make it not a bug.

I could easily say no team will ever score 1000 league goals in an FM season, even those who go out to intentionally break the ME can do that.

Just because this is unlikely, doesnt mean its a bug.

As previously mentioned in this thread surely the whole fun of FM is making things unrealistic. Ive dominated Europe for two years with Blackburn Rovers, who at the moment look very unlikely to stay in the EPL. Everton have been challenging for the title its all good fun. I do agree Bolton dominating the EPL in first season is highly unlikely, but its all part of the game. Dont like it, dont play simple :)

How many first seasons have been played? A few million between all players? Freak results are bound to happen in a few of those seasons, just as freak results WOULD happen if we could replay real life premier league a million times.

No, it's not possible for a team to score 1000 goals. That would require them scoring a goal every 3 minutes of play. It's just not possible.

Someone finishing on 100+ points is possible, and has nearly been done a few times.

It's still very likely a bug, though.

With so many people playing FM and so many seasons running, you have ended up with a very extreme scenario like winning the lottery, which has odds of about 14,000,000 to 1 but people don't stop buying tickets...

I could easily say no team will ever score 1000 league goals in an FM season, even those who go out to intentionally break the ME can do that.

Just because this is unlikely, doesnt mean its a bug.

The number if deliberately exaggerated for a reason.

It is extremely unlikely that Bolton would have won the Premier League this season with 102 points, just as it is extremely unlikely that a team will score 1000+ goals.

My argument is that if you do not consider this a bug, then you may as well close every single bug thread related to "balance", because it is entirely possible that such a scenario might happen.

I think extremely unlikely scenarios like Bolton winning the league in the first season with 102 points should be considered bugs and investigated.

Archived