Players you discovered before they made it big!

The clue is in the thread name...

Il kick things off, I signed Jordan Rhodes for Southend a few years ago when he was about 17. Scored over 30 goals in 2 consecutive seasons for me.. now look at him! Flying in League 1.

Any of your success stories?

No obvious ones though!

Real Life - Used to watch Leigh Griffiths before he went to Wolves.

FM - I signed Torres and Babel for my Arsenal side In FM, sat throughout that transfer window hoping we would buy them and Liverpool snapped them both up, was absolutely gutted

I signed Balazs Dsudzsak (spelling?) for Forest on fm05 when he was at a Hungarian side. Now he plays for Dynamo Moscow who bought him for about £19 million. I also signed

Radamel Falcao Garcia as a 15 year old who is now know as Falcao and signed Hugo Rodallega once when River Plate manager.

I have fond memories of signing Fredy Guarin back on CM4 (I think it was CM4 anyway!) and turning him into one of the best midfielders ever to set foot on a football pitch.

I know he isn't exactly a worldbeater in reality but he is still doing pretty damn well at Porto.

I remember him playing in Colombia for Envigado and he had a superb long-shot, scored for me alot of curled shots from outside of the box

Lebohang Mokoena.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I signed Ashley Williams and Fabian Delph in FM07, both had random positions. Williams was an AMLRC and Delph was a D/WBR (though he was left footed). Delph played for England, I don't think Williams ever played for Wales.

Ronaldinho, CRonaldo, Torres, Aimar, Tevez, Mascherano, Iniesta, Robben, Santa Cruz, and many more who I've signed in game when they were virtual unknowns IRL.

I once got Ronaldinho on a free on CM00/01 while he was still at Grêmio. Although in fairness, I did get that game several years later from someone I knew through youth club, by which time I think he'd moved to PSG, maybe even on to Barcelona!

• 4 weeks later...

If we're on about FM...

Obafemi Martins - known as 'Martins' - for Luton in Division Three, on a free aged 16 on CM 01/02. He was quality and I had no idea that he was Oba Martins until I updated the game and saw he was at Inter. Helped me win back-to-back promotions!

I have fond memories of signing Fredy Guarin back on CM4 (I think it was CM4 anyway!) and turning him into one of the best midfielders ever to set foot on a football pitch.

I know he isn't exactly a worldbeater in reality but he is still doing pretty damn well at Porto.

yes i did as well

steven fletcher

bellamy

woodgate

alan smith (leeds) .. he was slightly worse than the other youngster striker kicking about called michael bridges lol

klose .. will always remember thinking at the time that the fella was like a mini oliver bierhoff lol

kallstrom

alessio cerci too.. the boy's doing good now :)

Ronaldinho when he was at PSG, Miguel Veloso and Joao Moutinho (from Sporting Lisbona) came to my Man City to win 16 Premier Leagues, Sergio Asenjo, Mamadou Sakho, Oscar Cardozo, Diego Buonanotte, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Urby Emanuelson, James Rodriguez and many others that maybe I don't remember.

I forgot Vagner Love!

Not really comparable to the players you guys are listing but I did sign Conor Sammon from Derry City for £50,000 in an old Southend United game I was playing. I was promoted to the Championship after taking over from Steve Tilson when he left to manage Crystal Palace. Sammon was my main source for goals. Kept us up in the Championship for two good seasons before he was sold.

Archived