broken game engine

16 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Mentality's not just about transitions though afaik, but about how many risks they take to try to score. Pretty common to have sides which are rushing desperately to score who also start everything by playing out from defence and pass mostly short, and sides which counter attack and even hit long direct passes, but will also happily play keep ball when risk free passing options exist. In theory you could decouple that from all the other settings 'mentality' also affects a bit like tempo and defensive line, but I think most people choosing it want global changes to their style of play.

Plus it's also a damn sight more intuitive and closer to the real world managers shouting simple instructions to switch to 'cautious' or 'very attacking' than change half a dozen other settings that amount to the same thing. And I say that as someone that does bother clicking all those buttons at least as often as I change mentality...

And we all know it's all slider variables under the hood anyway, 'mentality' just changes a lot at once :D 

I'd argue there needs to be more explicit transparency in how it effects players movement. Still firmly believe that the game needs to show you an estimated idea of where your players will move to in attack and where they engage defensively. The line of engagement is one of my favourite things about the tactics creators. Also think work ball into box is too all encompassing. I actually don't use, choosing instead to tell all my players to shoot less

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's not about missed on 1v1s or long range shots. Even overpowered free kicks are acceptable until some point but the thing with match engine is that it heavily favours favourite teams and it at times feels like match engine does everything to help favourite sides win particularly with penalties and free kicks. Not saying it's only AI teams thing. When I play with better teams it happens to me as well. Some dodgy penalty, some indirect free kicks have helped me win games which I played pretty badly and didn't deserve all 3 points. In my Champions League knockout stage game against PSG with Leeds I lost 4-3 away from home and conceded 3 goals coming from indirect free kicks. Bringing this as an example because it happened recently. When I play against top 6 teams away from home games feel like a free kick and corner kick contest. I'm all for losing games and don't believe anybody plays FM series to win every time but the way you lose games and the way you concede goals is more than annoying to say the least. When you play with Leeds or any mid-table teams against top 6 you accept that you are probably going to lose in the end. But when the game starts and you concede 3rd minute goal from some free kick, all your tactics and other things mean nothing. How could I watch highlights of the game like this and see weaknesses of my tactic? I didn't experience this in FM 19 or 18 which I also played over 1000 hours but FM 20 feels all big free kick contest which you can't do anything about.

Edited by CM

On 27/06/2020 at 09:33, Pasonen said:

The more complex tactical features come in match engine the more it will eat away players individual freedom. Especially if strict real life statistics are pursued. 

Why is that the case? I just played a match where Ndombele was a deep lying playmaker in the anchor role for 60 mins and he was replaced by Eric dier as a ball winning midfielder for last 30 mins. The ONLY pass they Both played in the last third of the pitch was a looped pass out to the overlapping FB. With so many options why does the ME make them play this same stultifying pass all the time in EVERY game. Why do 2 players with different traits and instructions play the same pass. Why, after I begged lo Celso to only play killer balls does he play the same pass?? Einstein as we all know said the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again. Playing FM this year is madness. I watch every match hoping it will be different but it never is 😂 😂 😂 

its genuinely appalling. 

I just feel the creators of the game struggle to capture real football within the game.

There is too much repeatable stuff in how goals are scored, patterns of play, but theres also far too much really silly stuff. Players firing into the side netting for no apparent reason, defenders running off the pitch and letting an attacker have the ball unopposed, wingers dribbling past 4 men and then literally passing the ball to the goalkeeper, its a bit silly to be honest.

And then......VAR. its pointless. every time theres a VAR review the goal is chalked off. Every time a foul in the box goes to VAR, its a penalty.

The game should be better. the same things are always in the game and never fixed.

1 hour ago, FMunderachiever said:

I just feel the creators of the game struggle to capture real football within the game.

There is too much repeatable stuff in how goals are scored, patterns of play, but theres also far too much really silly stuff. Players firing into the side netting for no apparent reason, defenders running off the pitch and letting an attacker have the ball unopposed, wingers dribbling past 4 men and then literally passing the ball to the goalkeeper, its a bit silly to be honest.

And then......VAR. its pointless. every time theres a VAR review the goal is chalked off. Every time a foul in the box goes to VAR, its a penalty.

The game should be better. the same things are always in the game and never fixed.

VAR really gets me in FM- in real life the decisions can go either way with sometimes it not being a penalty or the goal given, why on earth choose to have it that way?

You really notice too how bad the ME is when you come back to the game after a break- came back as with lock-down spending more time at home and liked the ME in the demo before the final patch, and now wish I'd waited till the final patch as I wouldn't have bought it off the back of that. I'm staggered that Id have been better off playing FM 2017 as there's no progress in the ME since then- its gone backwards in terms of variety of play.

And as usual its ruined by the final patch and just left. Its the kind of stuff EA get panned for with Fifa.

How on earth does this get past QA? As you say the same old patterns of play-

I tell my team / FBs to cross early and they either shoot or pull it back to a CM, just cross the ball!

I train my AMC to play killer balls- he ignores players ahead and passes wide!

It seems to make no difference what tackling you have, I get games where fouls are 4-25 and my players get booked as much as the opposing team, no wonder every killer tactic seems to just put hard tackling on!

DL and DR seem unaware of wingers until they are past them, even if I set specific marking. AMR and AMLs on attack seem more aware to mark and chase down wide players even without specific instructions.

Chasing a game late on and on very attacking and direct and my BPD decides to pass it back and forth with my keeper- even without instructions players shouldn't do that.

The list feels endless.

Edited by dunk105

7 hours ago, steam just is said:

Why is that the case? I just played a match where Ndombele was a deep lying playmaker in the anchor role for 60 mins and he was replaced by Eric dier as a ball winning midfielder for last 30 mins. The ONLY pass they Both played in the last third of the pitch was a looped pass out to the overlapping FB. With so many options why does the ME make them play this same stultifying pass all the time in EVERY game. Why do 2 players with different traits and instructions play the same pass. Why, after I begged lo Celso to only play killer balls does he play the same pass?? Einstein as we all know said the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again. Playing FM this year is madness. I watch every match hoping it will be different but it never is 😂 😂 😂 

its genuinely appalling. 

Thats because if you want to make numbers match real life  you cant have individual players doing things as much you would like. The balance between system and individualism is more and more system based. Game should let managers and players make bigger errors and ofc good decisions too. That would really make you feel you are now managing something what is delicate and can go horribly wrong. :D  it would require managers  have like commentary screen where would be added things what manager (you) see. "Dm cant pass to playmaker because he's in too high positions", "cd's cant keep ball and pass it out because opposition is pressing so hard"

Edited by Pasonen

6 hours ago, dunk105 said:

I tell my team / FBs to cross early and they either shoot or pull it back to a CM, just cross the ball!

Any team instructions in the tactics screen will just increase the tendency to do such things and not applicable to every situation. For example hitting early cross will just tell them to increase the tendency however if they think it is better to pass the CM they will still make the pass. What decision they make in this instance is also affected by your other instructions such as tempo and passing directness. What role you have chosen for your player and the attributes of the player will also affect their decision.

6 hours ago, dunk105 said:

I train my AMC to play killer balls- he ignores players ahead and passes wide!

Reasons as stated above

7 hours ago, dunk105 said:

It seems to make no difference what tackling you have, I get games where fouls are 4-25 and my players get booked as much as the opposing team, no wonder every killer tactic seems to just put hard tackling on!

Maybe because you have pushed so high up that every tackle your players made have to be a yellow card? Same goes to the opponent. Because they sit deep so much they are in a good position so do not need to risk a yellow card when they foul you. Not sure what you mean by killer tactic there. Every killer tactic that I have tried with hard tackling generate a ton of fouls and cards.

DL and DR seem unaware of wingers until they are past them, even if I set specific marking. AMR and AMLs on attack seem more aware to mark and chase down wide players even without specific instruction.

FM defenders will always prioritize zonal marking over man marking. So even if you set man marking on they will ensure their own defending zones is safe first before they engage players. Defending width and pressing intensity also affect how they behave.

Players on attack duty will defend more proactively due to their higher mentality so they will close down players without any instructions. Player attributes will also play a role here.

Chasing a game late on and on very attacking and direct and my BPD decides to pass it back and forth with my keeper- even without instructions players shouldn't do that.

There are a lot of potential reasons why this is happening so I rather not speculate why.

In short the ME is not perfect but not every problem you see in game is a direct result from the flaws of the ME. I've played FM2017 before and do not understand the praise it is getting now despite the obvious problems with the FM2017 ME but everyone has their own opinion I guess.

3 hours ago, Pasonen said:

Thats because if you want to make numbers match real life  you cant have individual players doing things as much you would like. The balance between system and individualism is more and more system based. Game should let managers and players make bigger errors and ofc good decisions too. That would really make you feel you are now managing something what is delicate and can go horribly wrong. :D  it would require managers  have like commentary screen where would be added things what manager (you) see. "Dm cant pass to playmaker because he's in too high positions", "cd's cant keep ball and pass it out because opposition is pressing so hard"

Sorry for quoting myself. I just have to add something. At the moment theres a lot more free spaces in flanks and in front of middlefield. Middlefield position them too close defline and defline is static narrow block when ball is in middle and relatively easy to get defline retreat to own box area. This open spaces to flanks and closer middlecircle. Mainly because middlefield is too low and st's too high when defending. So to the point. How its possible to make system and individual performance balanced if formation, defline, marking, leaves open areas.  Its not possible to balance things if theres too much space on some areas for individuals. It would make game too individual dependant. In real life theres not a lot of space and defending as a unit limits individuals effect to the game. Team wins - individual performances usually. Just my opinion tough.

Edited by Pasonen

1 ora fa, zyfon5 ha scritto:

In short the ME is not perfect but not every problem you see in game is a direct result from the flaws of the ME.

And not every problem you see in game is a direct result of flaws made by the user as well.

Oh, and it's very possible to FM the AI. I just did it...

mH6OXkN.png

Yeah, I'm a Faroese side and I beat Napoli by FM'ing the living daylights out of them. Counters baby, counters! (Oh, and kicking them off the pitch also works wonders with overpaid Italian primadonnas! ;))

This is the guy who scored two times though, not exactly an amazing player.

fmzDIJn.png

Edit: And, no, it doesn't happen always, I got thumped out of the CL qualifiers by BATE from Belarus, so there clearly is a bit of luck involved. It just goes both ways!

Edited by XaW

On 21/06/2020 at 19:22, Tyburn said:

Therefore every CM/FM that has ever been released has a broken ME?

Yes, I thought this was obvious and not even a debate. If it wasn't there wouldn't be leagues of fixes every release and during each games release and nothing to improve on. Every release has something that is exploitable in the match engine. 

On 22/06/2020 at 06:30, Svenc said:

There's always been (oft illogical, and/or ridiculously aggressive) tactics that take Advantage of ME and AI weakness , which are making Player quality pretty irrelevant and fantasy overachievement the norm, and yes, FM 20 is no exception (see the download sections). I don't think there will ever be an exception to this by now. By that standard though, every release was broken, older ones even more so than current ones (Mighty Diablo et all). :D 

Yup, see above. I wasn't complaining, if you look at my original post, but people were upset with OPs post, I was merely providing a point. 

On 22/06/2020 at 00:35, Cadoni said:

There is no exploit tactics for FM19 or FM20. 

Who is correct, you or Svenc? Also, how can you lie, just straight up. This community is toxic as all hell. Hell, I'm watching a video right now from FMScout that plays with 1 defender and is beating Burnly 10-0. Jesus Christ mate, I wasn't knocking the game, I wasn't complaining, but this kind of blind loyalty is ridiculous. 

If there is nothing to exploit in the the last 2 match engines, then FM21 won't feel the need to fix anything outside of cosmetics right? Except they will, because there is. 

7 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

Any team instructions in the tactics screen will just increase the tendency to do such things and not applicable to every situation. For example hitting early cross will just tell them to increase the tendency however if they think it is better to pass the CM they will still make the pass. What decision they make in this instance is also affected by your other instructions such as tempo and passing directness. What role you have chosen for your player and the attributes of the player will also affect their decision.

Reasons as stated above

Maybe because you have pushed so high up that every tackle your players made have to be a yellow card? Same goes to the opponent. Because they sit deep so much they are in a good position so do not need to risk a yellow card when they foul you. Not sure what you mean by killer tactic there. Every killer tactic that I have tried with hard tackling generate a ton of fouls and cards.

FM defenders will always prioritize zonal marking over man marking. So even if you set man marking on they will ensure their own defending zones is safe first before they engage players. Defending width and pressing intensity also affect how they behave.

Players on attack duty will defend more proactively due to their higher mentality so they will close down players without any instructions. Player attributes will also play a role here.

There are a lot of potential reasons why this is happening so I rather not speculate why.

In short the ME is not perfect but not every problem you see in game is a direct result from the flaws of the ME. I've played FM2017 before and do not understand the praise it is getting now despite the obvious problems with the FM2017 ME but everyone has their own opinion I guess.

With respect, i think your point isnt very good.

Lets suppose players wont attempt an early cross if the "easier" pass is into central midfield like you say. Whats the point then? IM SUPPOSED TO BE THE MANAGER AND I SAY HIT AN EARLY CROSS, NOT PASS THE BALL INTO CENTRAL MIDFIELD. Whats the point in the hit early cross option even existing, if the player himself (Which i cannot control) decides to do something different?

Are you saying "hit early crosses" only works, if i also use lots of other instructions in conjunction with that to make it absolutely clear you HIT AN EARLY CROSS!!

With yellow cards, i see full backs getting 18 yellow cards in a season. Thats not realistic no matter what team instructions you put on, its just daft.

Players on "attack" duty will defend MORE proactively than players on defend duty in closing down? So are you suggesting if you put your wingbacks on attack it will make them more aware of the opposition wingers runs and stop them rather than just letting them ghost in unopposed (i agree with the poster on the movement of wide defenders).

Why do people always play this silly devils advocate point of view about the game, there are things that are CLEARLY either broken, or dont work well.

Did they not advertise for full time players of the game recently to iron these issues out? We see them every year, theres something not right. Each year the match engine just seems wrong. What do we pay our money for? a slightly updated database with transfers where an attribute has gone up or down by 1 point? Come on guys give us better PLEASE

On 27/06/2020 at 12:11, themadsheep2001 said:

I'd argue there needs to be more explicit transparency in how it effects players movement. Still firmly believe that the game needs to show you an estimated idea of where your players will move to in attack and where they engage defensively. The line of engagement is one of my favourite things about the tactics creators. Also think work ball into box is too all encompassing. I actually don't use, choosing instead to tell all my players to shoot less

Agree with you on this. I don't want user configured arrows or wibl wobl, but do think the ui could illustrate what's going on. That's especially the case for all the roles with funky foreign names and custom movement...

3 hours ago, Samurai Cake said:

Who is correct, you or Svenc? Also, how can you lie, just straight up. This community is toxic as all hell. Hell, I'm watching a video right now from FMScout that plays with 1 defender and is beating Burnly 10-0. Jesus Christ mate, I wasn't knocking the game, I wasn't complaining, but this kind of blind loyalty is ridiculous.

I don't care if I am correct or not or Svenc. What I know is, after 1900 hours with FM20 and 1500 hours with FM19; being part of FM Base Test League, Mr. L Test League and using other test leagues, I can tell you there is no "exploit" tactics. The last exploit tactic was in FM17, strikerless from Knap.

What is "exploit" on FM19 & FM20 is the near post corner routine and long throw in routine.

My critique to SI is not soft, I have been warned if you don't know; but that critique is with good feelings. So, I am not "blind loyalty" type of person (I hate those types of persons); which I think makes more damage to SI rather than good. But this is another story.

As for FMS testing tactics, FMS does not have a proper test league; so, when I am see a tactic which fails in above test leagues, but score 10-0 in a single match, that tells me someone is cheating with IGE or FMRTE to favor the tactics (for reasons unknown if you ask me).

1 hour ago, FMunderachiever said:

Lets suppose players wont attempt an early cross if the "easier" pass is into central midfield like you say. Whats the point then? IM SUPPOSED TO BE THE MANAGER AND I SAY HIT AN EARLY CROSS, NOT PASS THE BALL INTO CENTRAL MIDFIELD. Whats the point in the hit early cross option even existing, if the player himself (Which i cannot control) decides to do something different?

Are you saying "hit early crosses" only works, if i also use lots of other instructions in conjunction with that to make it absolutely clear you HIT AN EARLY CROSS!!

Players are much more likely to follow your precise instructions if you use "be more disciplined" as a tactical instruction. The teamwork stat plays a part of that as well. Personally I have only really found this rigid setup only useful in direct counter-attack systems, where you don't have a lot of possession of the ball and want to ensure the counter goes off correctly. In most other scenarios, like perhaps a patient approach or a wing play, you really want them to mix it up a bit and make their own best judgment on what will work in a given situation. It can be particularly useful in a patient system to have a very creative (high flair and vision) midfield, winger, and striker setup, then go "be more expressive". They'll do a lot of crazy nonsense, like wingers dribbling across the field to the other flank, but it will be likely to confound the opposition, break their defenders out of position, and ultimately lead to you getting more chances on goal.

Being less than predictable can be a huge boon, particularly if you dominate possession. Your opposition makes dozens of tactical changes during the course of a game. If you watch their formation during a match, they're constantly shifting around roles and duties. They lock down individual players. Sometimes they'll straight up change formation entirely if nothing else is working. All of this with the goal of limiting your chances and of course, getting more of their own. A one dimensional approach is fairly easy to adapt to (though in the case of a team capable of a good counter-attack the opposition may find their players incapable of the task), whereas it can be a monumental challenge for them to adapt to a bunch of weirdos doing whatever they want, and their boss is yelling at them from the sidelines to be even crazier. This is true in a lot of games, even war. There are a number of quotes, some probably apocryphal, of German generals during WWII being confounded by American soldiers and officers who, while their objectives were coordinated to some extent with top brass, often chose to do the most unpredictable thing they could think of that would still be effective.

I'm personally quite grateful that the players actually have their own behavior, and make their own decisions on a regular basis. If they didn't the game would be remarkably tedious and unrealistic. Hats off to the devs for making it this way.

20 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

Every time a foul in the box goes to VAR, its a penalty.

I used to think the same thing, till it happened to me on Twitch. One game 2 incidents went to VAR inside the box, and none were penalties, which was a big shock to me.

Yeah me too. The (small and irrilevant for me to be honest) problem with VAR is that is predictable. When VAR is called for a potential penalty I know for sure it's penalty if a) the call is for a presumed foul inside the box b) the call is for a presumable foul so much out of the box I wonder why I should bother even watching the VAR animation. For both situations the "surprise factor" is 0.

What never changes is GLT (never ever seen a goal awarded) and offsides. Offsides are broken anyway so I'd declare them out of  the contest.

30 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I used to think the same thing, till it happened to me on Twitch. One game 2 incidents went to VAR inside the box, and none were penalties, which was a big shock to me.

First time I got a non-predictable VAR decision against me  was obviously the 90th minute in a derby in a title race

33 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Yeah I've had different outcomes, but they are so rare that you pretty much see the usual coming. More variety needed. 

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Agree with you on this. I don't want user configured arrows or wibl wobl, but do think the ui could illustrate what's going on. That's especially the case for all the roles with funky foreign names and custom movement...

See, I do like the idea of returning to arrows to to give you general idea of movement, but i like trying to overload spaces and have players in the half spaces, so not being able to see that makes it trickier to set up.

The one area that definitely needs more transparency in my opinion is closing down, so you can properly tie it to pressing traps. Might be wrong, but seems like the more open and transparent you make tactics, the easier it could be to setup so managers using it too. Could add even more variety to the matches

15 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yeah, me too - first season, FA Cup quarter-final:

dOzgBj6h.png?1

It'll take me a while to calm down :eek:.

Lovely! Except that I support Liverpool, that is! :p

But, yes, it's very possible, but you need a bit of luck and the right set of players.

25 minutes ago, XaW said:

Lovely! Except that I support Liverpool, that is! :p

Sorry about that :D.

Just by way of info that people might be able to make use of, we played our usual positive mentality, shorter passing, standard tempo. I dropped the def line a notch to standard, and the LOE to one notch lower, then turned on pass into space. As the screenie shows, we didn't create much but we picked up a couple of free kicks on the counter and our equaliser came from one of those. Obviously, we needed a lot of luck but the AI Klopp made the obvious mistake - played the entire game on 'very attacking' so they were blazing away from all angles and distances. If they'd slowed things down and used their quality more wisely I'm sure they'd have shredded us.

Made a fortune from the game - around £1.5m in TV money, gate receipts and prize money. And I get to do it again against Chelsea in the semi!

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Sorry about that :D.

Just by way of info that people might be able to make use of, we played our usual positive mentality, shorter passing, standard tempo. I dropped the def line a notch to standard, and the LOE to one notch lower, then turned on pass into space. As the screenie shows, we didn't create much but we picked up a couple of free kicks on the counter and our equaliser came from one of those. Obviously, we needed a lot of luck but the AI Klopp made the obvious mistake - played the entire game on 'very attacking' so they were blazing away from all angles and distances. If they'd slowed things down and used their quality more wisely I'm sure they'd have shredded us.

Made a fortune from the game - around £1.5m in TV money, gate receipts and prize money. And I get to do it again against Chelsea in the semi!

No worries, in war and FM everything is allowed! :p

That is close to what I did as well. I kept positive, but dropped the defensive line and LOE. Removed counterpress, but kept the counters. Also told the players do be more disciplined. So they player around and around us, but had issues penetrating the defence. In the away leg to Napoli we lost 3-1. We held them to 1-1 for a long time, but a red card in the 69th minute (two yellows) ruined it for us.

But it's very interesting we had success against much better teams by playing positive, even if we withdrew the team backwards and let the bigger team come to us before we launched counters. We could be on to something here! :)

23 minutes ago, XaW said:

it's very interesting we had success against much better teams by playing positive

Generally I don't like playing on any mentality lower than 'balanced' - it just seems to make your team too passive, and often/always invites a lot of pressure. Similarly, I wouldn't drop the def line too much. You've got to give yourself a chance!

8 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

With respect, i think your point isnt very good.

With yellow cards, i see full backs getting 18 yellow cards in a season. Thats not realistic no matter what team instructions you put on, its just daft.

Players on "attack" duty will defend MORE proactively than players on defend duty in closing down? So are you suggesting if you put your wingbacks on attack it will make them more aware of the opposition wingers runs and stop them rather than just letting them ghost in unopposed (i agree with the poster on the movement of wide defenders).

Why do people always play this silly devils advocate point of view about the game, there are things that are CLEARLY either broken, or dont work well.

Did they not advertise for full time players of the game recently to iron these issues out? We see them every year, theres something not right. Each year the match engine just seems wrong. What do we pay our money for? a slightly updated database with transfers where an attribute has gone up or down by 1 point? Come on guys give us better PLEASE

You are still controlling what happened on the pitch to a certain extent but not full control. Hit early cross is not something like play out of defence. And players in FM are allowed to a certain degree of freedom outside of tactical confines. If you are not aware of this then probably you should learn more about the game.

Wingback on attack duty will not be more aware of players per se but they will close down much earlier and will want to get the ball back at a higher position than a full back on defend duty. Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your tactical set up.

Not sure what you mean by ghosting unopposed there. Do you propose that wide defenders follow opponent wingers whenever they go? Currently in the game now the wide defenders will let the opponent wingers get the ball first before they engage the wide areas due to them being default in zonal defending. 

20 hours ago, XaW said:

Oh, and it's very possible to FM the AI. I just did it...

mH6OXkN.png

ThatÄS then not "FMing" though (e.g. losing to a Buggy Goal, or whatever) -- that's just counter attacking.

When Leicester won the league, they barely ever had much more shots. Actually, they won it with an average 13 shots vs 13!

Fm just doesn't have the data to Show it, e.g. this.

3 minutes ago, Svenc said:

ThatÄS then not "FMing" though (e.g. losing to a Buggy Goal, or whatever) -- that's just counter attacking.

When Leicester won the league, they barely ever had much more shots. Actually, they won it with an average 13 shots vs 13!

I was using the term as a way to make fun of those who call legit results for FMing. I guess sarcasm is hard to purvey in text format.

1 ora fa, Svenc ha scritto:

Do you also have a stat of shots from teams that played against Leicester in that season?

15 hours ago, Federico said:

Yeah me too. The (small and irrilevant for me to be honest) problem with VAR is that is predictable. When VAR is called for a potential penalty I know for sure it's penalty if a) the call is for a presumed foul inside the box b) the call is for a presumable foul so much out of the box I wonder why I should bother even watching the VAR animation. For both situations the "surprise factor" is 0.

What never changes is GLT (never ever seen a goal awarded) and offsides. Offsides are broken anyway so I'd declare them out of  the contest.

I detest almost every single offside being shown. What i would like to see more of in extended highlights are events that lead to direct and wide freekicks.

1 hour ago, Federico said:

Do you also have a stat of shots from teams that played against Leicester in that season?

Slightly OT, but for totals (Season 2015/2016): 523 shots for created vs 517 against http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

For individual Matches, you can go through all of  their matches here: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/England-Premier-League

Edited by Svenc

13 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I detest almost every single offside being shown. What i would like to see more of in extended highlights are events that lead to direct and wide freekicks.

Also a massive bug bear of mine too. That said, the majority come from players simply not getting back onside, so that behaviour could be fixed for FM21.

Definitely agree we need to see what actually leads to free kicks. Think I put that into my detailed feedback post some time back 

E1B9A8B8-BC92-4D35-ADB6-032217BBB90A.thumb.jpeg.5abe61f7663b1bea1c89d54fd9a674ec.jpegThe game is really boring when your opponent scores 3 goals when they have no clear chances, whilst you have 4 good chances + plus many more good chances and you lose the game. Happens way too often and is not a fun concept in a video game.

I find it much more frustrating that no one plays the simple and obvious pass to create a clear cut chance in the first place. Everything in the final third of the pitch is a disaster and makes it a struggle to enjoy the process of developing a tactic. 

Such a sterile and frustrating match engine

hace 2 horas, Rashidi dijo:

Basically what I would like to see is a defending and attacking screen on the tactics page. So that with certain roles/duty combinations you could with shaded colours see which zones will be controlled. So after you set up your DL/LOE and choose those team/player instructions that affect positioning, (Overlap/Underlap/Get Further Forward/ Sit Narrow/Stay Wider), we should see shaded areas of the pitch showing which parts of the pitch we control and try and defend and which zones we control when we have possession of the ball. That is pretty challenging now, but ...

I think that little moving graphic indication in the tactical creator which shows dots moving around the pitch for different styles;  now that can be incorporated for this. So once the tactic is created with all the necessary roles and duties it could show with its movement how we would look in attack and how we would look in defence.

Perfect thing would the old wib/wob screen, but not editable as in the past, but just to display where every player should be depending on where the ball is and who has it.

Of course that would be an ideal representation, that doesn't mean 100% that it will happen what you see, but the samn way tha a real coach uses a drawboard that is an approach of what the players will face and should do in a field in ideal cirunstances.

3 hours ago, GPower88 said:

I find it much more frustrating that no one plays the simple and obvious pass to create a clear cut chance in the first place. Everything in the final third of the pitch is a disaster and makes it a struggle to enjoy the process of developing a tactic. 

Such a sterile and frustrating match engine

This. A million times this.

I've got a librabry of situations where the final pass or through ball just doesnt happen. The statistical breakdown of where your goals comes from is a downright lie (unless the game has a different definition of through pass).

I've played none stop 7 or 8 hours a day since the lock down and I can literally count on one hand how often a through ball happens, from open play - especially from an AMC

The AM just wants to pass the ball to the fullbacks.

5 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

i wonder what is the reasoning behind it as that is mostly how tactics in real work. Is it exploitability?

Indeed. At least separate defensive and attacking shapes should be introduced to the game.

The current system doesn't make much sense especially in terms of defending as AMs and STs don't drop enough to help in defense which creates huge gaps on the pitch and ineneffective 'defending as an unit' in general. Just introducing this behavior to more advanced positions would make a huge difference on how the engine works and play flows in general. There would be much more loss of possession, quick turnarounds (and counter attacks) and also way less time and space to pass the ball around the pitch. This on the other hand could lead into situations where overly attacking style of plays could get punishment in terms of conceding chances and goals from counter attacks. 

I am Brora. Playing with 10 early minutes, because MC decide to "kill" their DC player (lol). Well... Time for new laptop? (lol)

Screenshot_1.png

6 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

i wonder what is the reasoning behind it as that is mostly how tactics in real work. Is it exploitability?

IIRC a part of the reason why it was removed was also a debate regarding how positioning works in football. Is it that static that Teams basically employ two "formations" with/without the ball or is it more dynamic than that. 

People will find exploits what works best ;) (even if that may not make an  ounce of sense and on the occasion will lead to added frustrations)  by sheer trial&error each edition anyways. However, it's all a part of the reason why it's gone too, for sure. Same reason why SI have never been in favor of a truly set piece editor (unlike former competitors). :D 

Edited by Svenc

4 minuti fa, Svenc ha scritto:

IIRC a part of the reason why it was removed was also a debate regarding how positioning works in football. Is it that static that Teams basically employ two "formations" with/without the ball or is it more dynamic than that. 

People will find exploits what works best ;) (even if that may not make an  ounce of sense and on the occasion will lead to added frustrations)  by sheer trial&error each edition anyways. However, it's all a part of the reason why it's gone too, for sure. Same reason why SI have never been in favor of a truly set piece editor (unlike former competitors). :D 

of course with ball shape isn't static, but neither is without the ball shape :D 

what I meant was more in terms of movement and overall gameplan. ie you have a dominantly quick player on the left wing and (part) of the game plan is to play through that winger. So how do you do that?

in real, you'd practice different types of moves where players do coordinated runs in order to create space and get the desired man on the ball. You'd need more than one variation (and from different zones on the pitch) so just one wibble/wobble screen wouldn't be enough :D  I bet that would be a nightmare to program but I don't understand the obsession with exploits. This ME is as exploitable as any but who cares? it is single player game if someone wants to exploit the game, so what? 

7 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

Exploitability is a big part, but the other problem that either you've got incredibly predictable and unrealistic football where players always make the same runs, or you have FMers complaining that their team keeps playing in a different way to how they're asked.

I drew pretty triangles in midfield when they had it, but the reality is that the passing triangles players make IRL are contingent on what happened earlier in the play and where the spaces are (and selecting something like picking Regista/CM(s)/AP[A] probably does a much more realistic job of describing my general intent of having different average shape in defence and attack)

I'd think being able to see something like those screens would still be useful, but the reality is that where the Trequartista operates when the ball is in the middle of the field isn't well represented by one dot, but lots of arrows indicating the many varied runs he makes to come short or find space out wide or run channels. Inside Forward when the ball's on the opposite flank is a bit more predictable, but it's a big arrow to the far post and smaller ones to the near post or coming short, not just one position they normally try to operate.

Edited by enigmatic

9 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

This ME is as exploitable as any but who cares? it is single player game if someone wants to exploit the game, so what? 

It also has multiplayer components though, plus the game is marketed as the "most realistic football sim game on the market". Now if Johnny McFootballfan consistently gets Huddersfield into Europe first Season or smashes the Ladbroke Premiership scoring 6.x Goals average, that'd probably make the game look worse than Fifa Manager. No, wait:D 

Edited by Svenc

Hey all,

After 20 years or more on this game, I just felt I needed to create an account in this forum to state my opinion. I could go on for a couple of pages but would run into the tl;dr so in short (again, it's just my opinion):

The ME is great. It is also broken. So terribly that gets frustrating to watch at times.

There's roughly a 20% of it that could and should be fixed (in FM2021, no rush) and another 80% that can't - It needs to be that way because, simply put, the developers need to come up against millions of people trying to break and exploit their ME. If it wasn't built to behave that way, the outcome would be much, much worse. Nobody would enjoy winning every match by a margin of 5 goals.

I'm 8 years into my save and facing Newcastle in the FA Cup final. Just 2 weeks before I beat them 4-1 for the league at home. I go into the final using the same tactic (4-4-2 attacking) and lose 1-2. Yep, they scored from a perfect counter and an indirect free kick while I had a trillion shots, CCCs, balls hitting the posts, strikers passing to their keeper, same old same old. Ok, no big deal. These things happen (not). But it's fine. I lost a cup (won the League the same year). But then just for laughs, I reload just before kickoff and I use the game ready-made tactic 4-4-2 - Wing Play. I use the same 11 players which don't fit the roles AT ALL and the same Team Talks. I win 4-0 having 8 SOT, 1 CCC and 0 HC. My players are just THAT good compared to those of Newcastle.

This is NOT a valid experiment by any means. I understand one has to run this 100 or 1000 times with different configurations before coming to conclusions. It is just a recent example but what I will state right below is my opinion after, like I said, 20 years (not game years.. real years) in the game and thousands of hours watching and analyzing stuff about it:

The game "studies" the way you play, your tactic, your players, your strengths and weaknesses and tries its best to counter them, using the resources it has available (AI managers and players). This is all well and fine. But when your tactics/instructions/etc and players abilities combination is just too strong and every game tends to end 8-2 in your favor, it employs "stuff" (call them super keepers, stupid acting world-class players of your own that all of a sudden can't shoot or pass to a free teammate 4 meters away to score an easy goal) to counter this. You still get 30 shots and 20 on target and maybe score once or twice, while your AI opponents using their limited resources in an absolutely fair way score the same. That's all it is and it can come out 2-0 or 0-2 or anything in between.

All that said (which might be just my wild imagination and absolutely untrue), FM2020 is a fantastic game and I will continue enjoying it as much as I can. Except from the times it makes me wanting to break the monitor. So maybe every 30 minutes on average :)

7 hours ago, tajj7 said:

If you seriously see no problem with set pieces then you can't be watching games. Teams are getting like 40-45% of their goals from set pieces both scored and conceded, good set piece takers can get like 25-30 assists a season with ease.

I watch every single match in comprehensive highlights. I'm in the year 2049 so it has been a lot of games.

Right now i'm at 21st February 2049, with Roma in Serie A.
Knocked out of the quarter-finals in the cup. Waiting for the 2nd round of Europa League and currently 1st in Serie A. Best season so far (waiting for the inevitable dip :D).

The figures so far are:
Goals Conceded - 27
Goals conceded from Set Pieces - 7
Percentage - 25,93%

Goals Scored - 109
Goals scored from Set Pieces - 31
Percentage - 28,44%

Those are the last 50 games, all games.

If i limit it to only the last 50 domestic league games it provides these results:
Goals Conceded - 16
Goals conceded from Set Pieces - 3
Percentage - 18,75%

Goals Scored - 61
Goals scored from Set Pieces - 17
Percentage - 27,87%

The figures are taken from the analysis screen. I know they can be a bit wonky but the numbers are pretty much in line with what i observe during the matches.
And i haven't done anything with set pieces. They're on default.
This has been the norm for me for all clubs i have managed, which have been with 10 different clubs, in 8 different countries.

When it comes to headed goals i find the following:
Goals scored - 109
Headers scored - 27
Percentage - 24,77%

Goals conceded - 27
Headed goals conceded - 5
Percentage - 18.52%

So in other words; No. In my game i don't see the problems with set pieces at all.
Same with 1v1s.
Just the other game i had my striker capitalising on a mistake by the defender. Took the ball, ran towards the goalie, rounded the goalie and calmly slotted the ball into an empty net.

-EDIT-
As an additional note; 40 of those last 50 games in all competitions are in my current season.

-EDIT 2-
I have to retract my information about set pieces setup. It is not on default. I have most certainly set up the free-kick and corner set pieces up myself.
I had completely forgotten as it was quite some time since i set it up and i normally don't touch it.

Edited by roykela
Adding info