Does anyone still play older FM games?

As the title suggests, are any of you playing older FM games and not 19? I've been flicking between 19 & 17 as just cannot get into a game on 19 really, had a couple of game breaking bugs on 19 that kind of killed the enthusiasm a bit, and 17 I think is just so good in every aspect. There's things on 19 I do enjoy like the dynamics and training, but just can't get into a game on 19, it seems to run slower for me too than 17

So, who still plays these classic FM titles?

fm 11 the best ever for me but with the amazing CFM skin really got back into fm17 again. And into fm19 also. playing all 3 at the mo on 2 computers haha. That is hardcore. :D I play one when the other is loading screens basically haha.

I counted 9 versions of FM in my collection. Almost all of them I installed and started to play new saves in 2019, but after FM19 new features I can't really enjoy old versions and wait FM20 like I'm a child and wait for B-day :rolleyes::D

Anyway, I have current save for Hertha Berlin in FM18,

Edited by Novem9

FM16 in a long save with Woking is on my computer. I haven't played it for a while however as lately I am not in the mood to do much with it. I play FM19 now but again not really in the mood to play it right now.

I go in and out of fads with some games I have on Steam.

21 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

just cannot get into a game on 19 really, had a couple of game breaking bugs on 19 that kind of killed the enthusiasm a bit

This has happened to me but I’ve not gone back I’ve just ended up starting multiple new saves on FM19 not managing to go past 4/5 seasons in any of them since my early 2 saves got lost. 

It’s a real shame as FM18 I just had one save the entire lifespan going 45 plus years which I wanted to do again but it wasn’t to be.

8 minutes ago, Lanko said:

Did you pass the Guiness record?

Haha a quick Google search tells me no. The record seems to be 2238 or something. Not sure I'd qualify anyway; there was a period in this save where my side was too strong for the Kazakh League and still only competing for a Champions League group stage spot so I mostly just holidays the league games. Did this for a few seasons.

Anyway, it was an incredibly fun save, and the reason why I didn't buy (or play, when I did buy) most newer FMs. Enjoying my FM19 save now though, and I have an idea for an even more ambitious save on FM20!

18 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Do tell...:)

I was thinking of downloading a custom league database and managing a club in an Asian minnow (Pakistan or Tajikistan maybe) and eventually produce enough decent regens to get these sides to the World Cup. That was the goal of my Astana save, but it was the AI who eventually coached them to a Euro win (they never won the World Cup).

The success I achieved at club level was by poaching foreign regens who would play for the likes of Germany etc. I'm not sure if this was a custom database limitation or an FM12 limitation but I could only max out my facilities, and never got the option to upgrade my Youth Recruitment Network past "Fairly Basic". Meant my academy products were never really good enough :(. The National team would end up relying on players I'd signed who'd gain Kazakh nationality after a few years and weren't selected by Germany/Spain etc.

If that has since changed, and it's possibly to "grow" the club's academy over the years like that in a nation with a low youth rating, I would love to try that and hopefully win the World Cup with them! 

Edited by Dunkelheit

1 minute ago, Dunkelheit said:

I was thinking of downloading a custom league database and managing a club in an Asian minnow (Pakistan or Tajikistan maybe) and eventually produce enough decent regens to get these sides to the World Cup. That was the goal of my Astana save, but it was the AI who eventually coached them to a Euro win (they never won the World Cup). The success I achieved at club level was by poaching foreign regens who would play for the likes of Germany etc. I'm not sure if this was a custom database limitation or an FM12 limitation but I could only max out my facilities, and never got the option to upgrade my Youth Recruitment Network past "Fairly Basic". Meant my academy products were never really good enough :(. The National team would end up relying on players I'd signed who'd gain Kazakh nationality after a few years and weren't selected by Germany/Spain etc.

If that has since changed, and it's possibly to "grow" the club's academy over the years like that in a nation with a low youth rating, I would love to try that and hopefully win the World Cup with them! 

In previous years I’ve tried to do the same in Scotland.

I take one club and build them up and their youth facilities then when they are winning and producing talent I move on to the next Scottish club and do the same with the view to making us a powerhouse but it’s never quite happened although they did reach a World Cup final though.

I've got long term saves still on going with FM17 and FM18 and I still play earlier editions but not so often these days. Don't want to give up my 2018 Celtic save until I win the champions league with an all Scottish team like the Lisbon Lions slowly getting there.

19 minutes ago, Woolly said:

I've got long term saves still on going with FM17 and FM18 and I still play earlier editions but not so often these days. Don't want to give up my 2018 Celtic save until I win the champions league with an all Scottish team like the Lisbon Lions slowly getting there.

Every year I try to win the Champs League with an all Scottish squad, it will happen one year!

I'd love to go back to FM13 just to pick up my old save that died a death because my ***** laptop at the time just ground to a near halt while processing.

I started a save with a custom database that opened England up down to level 12 or something and created a club from scratch. 15-20 years we snuck into to the Premier League through playoffs mostly and had some players I really got attached to along the way.

It's a fairly standard save most people would do but what set this one apart from most is I had a central defender from the league I started in and he went up all the leagues with me. I don't mean I kept him around the squads for sentimental value, he was a first team player from the age of 16 until his mid 30's :D his attributes were nothing special at all, he was just one of those players who'd play beyond his level consistently and if he hadn't been the captain from the age of 19, I'd say I'd have moved him on a lot sooner. He eventually hung up his boots after managing 10 appearances in the top flight in our debut season, and went on to become a youth coach, and eventually, my assistant manager. 

Unfortunately all the files have been lost to the ages so I'd never be able to recover that save and go back to FM13. 

With regards to the thread's intended purpose which I've completely ignored ( :D ) i rarely have the motivation to go back to older games in the series, I generally enjoy most additions to the game to the point where I'd be lost without them. 

14 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

FM17, I think the UI is 100 times better than FM19 and the 3D actually lookes 100 times beter to me as well.

I actually agree with this but 19 runs better on my Macbook so I play that now

On 26/08/2019 at 14:48, DavyDepuydt1 said:

FM17, I think the UI is 100 times better than FM19 and the 3D actually looks 100 times better to me as well.

Same here man, everything about 17 is just perfection. I have so many hours on it it's unreal. I really REALLY want to get into 19 but just find myself going back to 17 all the time. 

I have a new laptop arriving tomorrow, hopefully 19 runs better on it than my current laptop, if not then it'll be a case of carrying on with 17 on my new laptop until 20 comes out, and there's no guarantees I'll get on with that either

4 hours ago, mrdorf said:

Not sure if this counts but I've recently started playing CM 93 again. It brought back a lot of fun memories. Mostly of not getting so damn angry at being so awful at the game. :lol:

Certainly does count dude. My first CM/FM was CM99/00. 

4 hours ago, mrdorf said:

Not sure if this counts but I've recently started playing CM 93 again. It brought back a lot of fun memories. Mostly of not getting so damn angry at being so awful at the game. :lol:

I remember being in school and getting the end of season data update for that game and feeling really smug about it In front of my mates, bragging about how Efan Ekoku would be at Wimbledon in my version only to be shot down by the cool kids who informed me that it was old news and that they were all playing the alluringly continental sounding Championship Manager Italia.  

13 year old me was devastated and acquiring my own copy of the Italian version was months of paper round money away 😭

Edited by Brother Ben

Still playing FM18 and am waiting until the transfer window closes so I can update all the (major) transfers and start a new game. I'll generally buy every two years, but unless FM20 strips out or severely streamlines the horror show that is the new training system, I expect to be waiting until 21 at least.

29 minutes ago, shanyi said:

Still playing FM18 and am waiting until the transfer window closes so I can update all the (major) transfers and start a new game. I'll generally buy every two years, but unless FM20 strips out or severely streamlines the horror show that is the new training system, I expect to be waiting until 21 at least.

The new training system might look out of the place but after you take a quick look and play the game the feeling will disappear. What annoys me tho is that in FM19, with so many patches, there is still an extremely annoying bug in the game that kills me slowly because I am a micromanager. That's the individual positional training resetting if the players play a different position or something like that. It's hell, you have to check after each and every game to see what player needs to be fixed again. And this was in FM 18 too, but not frequent.

PS: I'd sack all programmers if they would not find a fix in 2weeks-1 month for such an issue. For some reason it's passed through the next generations.

Edited by godzilu

8 hours ago, godzilu said:

The new training system might look out of the place but after you take a quick look and play the game the feeling will disappear. What annoys me tho is that in FM19, with so many patches, there is still an extremely annoying bug in the game that kills me slowly because I am a micromanager. That's the individual positional training resetting if the players play a different position or something like that. It's hell, you have to check after each and every game to see what player needs to be fixed again. And this was in FM 18 too, but not frequent.

PS: I'd sack all programmers if they would not find a fix in 2weeks-1 month for such an issue. For some reason it's passed through the next generations.

God that bug is so frustrating. Seriously, having to check the training page every few weeks. I hate it.

11 hours ago, jtaddy said:

i play FM07 in my opinion the best FM so far, i play as Scarborough start on -10 points, financial difficulty. Great Save

Wow that is an old FM. Is wan older laptop you're using, as I tried to put FM11 on my laptop and windows 10 won't have it 

On 26/08/2019 at 22:53, metallimuse said:

Every year I try to win the Champs League with an all Scottish squad, it will happen one year!

It's harder than getting an all English/Spanish/Italian to win I feel. It will be worth it in the end lol. 

13 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Wow that is an old FM. Is wan older laptop you're using, as I tried to put FM11 on my laptop and windows 10 won't have it 

I've got FM09 which works fine on my laptop, mind you it seems weird having Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as only a coach at Man Utd whilst Phil Jones is a 16 year old (mind you the report by Mike Phelan seems to sum up the player lol). 

Screenshot (7).png

16 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

luckily i have a copy of FM07 where it allows me to play without a CD so on an up to date laptop it doesnt matter

Went back to FM17. It's the superior version where I don't have to check training schedules every week because of a bug SI refuse to fix in FM19. Match engine in 17 is very good, no idea why it's been messed with so much.

Edited by Tiger666

1 hour ago, Tiger666 said:

Went back to FM17. It's the superior version where I don't have to check training schedules every week. Match engine in 17 is very good, no idea why it's been messed with so much.

New ME system in place, maybe due to the defending width when using wingers *apparently* was a major downfall which i've never really witnessed. I just gave up playing 19 all together because i just can't enjoy it. Movin back to 17 tomorrow, downside is new players aren't on the save. 

5 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Went back to FM17. It's the superior version where I don't have to check training schedules every week. Match engine in 17 is very good, no idea why it's been messed with so much.

Wasn't so much messed with that FM18 had the new engine which isn't half as good and even worse in FM19 . I agree with you

8 hours ago, jtaddy said:

luckily i have a copy of FM07 where it allows me to play without a CD so on an up to date laptop it doesnt matter

Cool man, I wish I could have something like that for FM12

7 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Same dude. Don't know what it is but I can't seem to get into 19, I hope 20 I can get into the game, but for now I'm sticking to 17.

4 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

So why is 17 so much better?

For me the match engine is great, interface is just sublime and the game seems to process at a better rate than 18 & 19. I've never had any crashes on 17 (had 3 game breaking bugs on 19) and the overall 'feel' of the game for me is just great.

11 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

I've never had any crashes on 17

Had a saved game that lasted 35 years and I pretty much dominated from s1 with youth upbringing. One day turned it on, had a message saying there was an error. I dropped my glass on the floor and it smashed... next thing you know I tried doing a new save, didnt have the same feel but even with that heart breaking moment 17 was still played to death. Didn't enjoy the 19.3 tho, my wide players just became gods regardless of attributes lol. 

On 27/08/2019 at 17:47, Brother Ben said:

I remember being in school and getting the end of season data update for that game and feeling really smug about it In front of my mates, bragging about how Efan Ekoku would be at Wimbledon in my version only to be shot down by the cool kids who informed me that it was old news and that they were all playing the alluringly continental sounding Championship Manager Italia.  

13 year old me was devastated and acquiring my own copy of the Italian version was months of paper round money away 😭

I've only just discovered (from reading a CM3 topic, here) that playing 235 is the formation to play. I've won everything in domestic competitions (just started Europe now). When I first got the game I was playing a conventional 442. What a waste!

Loved CM Italia. It came out during the height of the whole Italian football craze on Channel 4. It seemed so exotic managing teams that had fancy foreign players in it.

On 27/08/2019 at 17:09, bigmattb28 said:

Certainly does count dude. My first CM/FM was CM99/00. 

Which game had the commentators that you could actually hear? I really want to play that. Barring that,  I'd like to find a video of someone playing on Youtube so I can see what it's all about.

47 minutes ago, mrdorf said:

Which game had the commentators that you could actually hear? I really want to play that. Barring that,  I'd like to find a video of someone playing on Youtube so I can see what it's all about.

CM2 had the commentator in it, think it was Clive Tyldesley.  You can download it for free but you will have to faff about with DOSBOX to make it work

1 hour ago, mrdorf said:

I've only just discovered (from reading a CM3 topic, here) that playing 235 is the formation to play. I've won everything in domestic competitions (just started Europe now). When I first got the game I was playing a conventional 442. What a waste!

Loved CM Italia. It came out during the height of the whole Italian football craze on Channel 4. It seemed so exotic managing teams that had fancy foreign players in it.

Yeah that was the formation alright and to be honest on CM Italia you only had to sign Cantona and you were golden

The game also came with a massive poster with the location of the clubs too which was ace

edit - found a picture of the poster, not quite as good as I remember but it did have pride of place on my bedroom wall next to Swansea goalkeeping legend Roger Freestone

championship-manager-italia-95-poster_360_1191836c881ed66eaf1c828b66249308.thumb.jpg.f1cfada231a3a2739ff7443544b50d2c.jpg

Edited by Brother Ben

Fm18 and 17 for me currently - really like the 2d view on fm17 that showed the stadium and crowd. 

FM18 I'm in 2041 with Bangor City of Wales having just won the Europa League for the 1st time and in FM17 I'm in 2042 with West Ham having started unemployed and then worked my way up from Vanarama South with Kidderminster followed by moves to Barrow, Blackburn and Crystal Palace. 

West Ham's stadium is an 87, 000 seater named after me which pretty smart. 

Had a son come into youth team at Blackburn but he was awful!