Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

vor 16 Stunden schrieb Mensell76:

My first impressions of ME1916 after watching 7 official matches and seeing quite a few goals in friendlies is that it looks a lot more or almost exactly like ME1900:

- The direct play has been toned down quite a bit. That should ease a lot of people's minds. Playing on a positive mentality with pass into space does not result in Hoof the ball anymore.

- Next to that, the amount wrong footed passes that was so typical for ME1900 is visible again. 

- Striker /Attacking movement still seems to be an issue although the F9 role does seem to involve himself a bit more. I am seeing more interplay in the final third between the F9 and players who start moving into depth when he receives the balls. Perhaps one of the first roles that was finetuned a bit?

- The AMC playmaking position shows almost the exact same habits of ME1900: playing 9 out of 10 balls wide or back and just one in a forward direction more central direction. This again ties with the lack of off the ball movement by the IF's and SC in the final third. 

- However there are slightly more through balls from deepers central positions (Mc's)

- Crossing seems to be close to what it was in ME1900. Still enough blocks but less lingering and unnecessary blocking. 

- Quite a few goals from set pieces and corners, again the sort of goals remind of ME1900, also because headed goals in the opposite direction are back again (heading in ME1914 was a lot poorer).

This ME look and plays as if  a reversal of ME1914 back to ME1900 has been made and that there have been gentle tweaks here and there instead of drastic ones. At least this ME gives a more balanced platform for people to work on a solid tactic. And it buys SI more time to take a closer look at attacking movement and central play. I do really have the impression so far that this ME is the way forward for the live version in repairing a bit of trust.

This weekend I hope to find more time for longer periods of full match watching. I will report back if I find anything unusual or add to my current thread on movement if the bigger issues still persist.

There still seems to be the same issue with inside forwards moving inside too narrow leaving only the fullbacks alone at the flanks while the wide forwards are in the penalty box narrowly grouped together, which kills space inside 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wide players refusing clear crossing opportunities from deep positions is seriously undermining the current ME build. There is still a persistent pattern of players dribbling out towards the corner flag; leading to their eventual cross being blocked.

Silly amounts of corners are resulting, turning matches into set piece fests.

46 minutes ago, Amarante said:

To reply to the guys above on mentalities

Attacking football doesn't always mean high possession and defensive football doesn't mean i play direct and long ball. 

Carlo Ancelotti plays attacking football but his sides don't dominate possession, Liverpool plays attacking football but they don't always seek the ball. Alex Ferguson Manu played attacking football 

Possession football can be both defensive and attacking. Louis Van Gaal Manu team was not attacking but they had loads of possession. 

Its only the media that tries to make the correlation between attacking football and possession-based football. Persons like Pep and Sarri are just disciples of positional play which leads to having a high number of passes which leads to having the ball. They don't set up there team to dominate the ball, but because of positional play, they end up with high ball possession. 

In FM i like to think of mentalities as a scale. When on an attacking mentality the chances that your creative players will make that riskier pass is at 8/10 while on a lower mentality its a 5/10. The mentality in FM governs risk-taking and how much freedom you allow your players with the ball. 

yes but in FM attacking mentality = hoofball and defensive mentality = possession style. everyone knows that.

Burnley don't play tiki-taka they play fast direct football, the opposite to what's happening in FM. and Sarri doesn't play hoofball his team dominates possession with considerable aproach. there's something wrong with either database research and in-game description, or with how ME represents different styles of play.

20 minutes ago, Mitja said:

yes but in FM attacking mentality = hoofball and defensive mentality = possession style. everyone knows that.

Burnley don't play tiki-taka they play fast direct football, the opposite to what's happening in FM. and Sarri doesn't play hoofball his team dominates possession with considerable aproach. there's something wrong with either database research and in-game description, or with how ME represents different styles of play.

It's the description. Mentality describes risk taking team-wide more than anything else. Or... how extreme someone will be with an instruction. 

It should be defined better, as I can't think of a better word... 

26 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Funny go check out Sarri's FM profile you will see he has his passing style set to direct and i . was like what madness is this

1 minute ago, pauly15 said:

It's the description. Mentality describes risk taking team-wide more than anything else. Or... how extreme someone will be with an instruction. 

nope read description again it doesn't say that at all. it says defensive mentality relies on quick direct passing to forwards. it doesn't say anywhere if you want to play tiki-taka to choose defensive metality. even the basic tiki-taka template uses agressive mentality. it turns out that all AI managers are using not only wrong mentality but the oposite to what they should.

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

nope read description again it doesn't say that at all. it says defensive mentality relies on quick direct passing to forwards. it doesn't say anywhere if you want to play tiki-taka to choose defensive metality. even the basic tiki-taka template uses agressive mentality. it turns out that all AI managers are using not only wrong mentality but the oposite to what they should.

If is one thing i know, what SI puts in those descriptions and what happen in the ME are two different things. 

4 minutes ago, Mitja said:

I'm saying that the description is the issue.

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

if it's wrong description why are then basic templates for possessional style, tiki-taka and control possession using agressive mentalities?

Hm, that's odd. I don't use the templates..

Anyway, I struggled for a long time due to a misunderstanding of what it meant.

23 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

For those who are testing 1916, are there any improvements on ME?

Yes, significantly better IMO

Passing length issues improved 90%

haven't seen double or triple pressing yet. On counter pressing there's some but a reasonable amount given the tactic.

have seen some natural striker movement

crossing / dwelling out wide issues resolved.

I feel that this Public Beta is a fantastic idea. I also would like to commend SI for the work they are doing on the game with the constant patches and fixes. It seems to me like there is more communication with users on the forum which is great!  Apologies for the length of this post in advance. I’ve spent quite a few hours on the latest ME(1916), here are my thoughts:

In my opinion, the latest ME1916 is definitely an improvement on the last and is the best one in FM19 till date. I use the same tactic that I used in FM18 and all the versions of the FM19 ME. I feel that helps in keeping this analysis uniform across the board. I will compare player movement to FM18 which according to me was a very well balanced ME.

Tactic:

a.thumb.png.f8483d28fb9a4f3747c8115533f827f8.png

The main issue according to me with FM19 is that all players in the defending team now position themselves deeper than they did in FM18. This is a great thing for low blocks as I have seen with my DLF(s) dropping down to below the half way line when the opposition has the ball. Even on Balanced / Positive mentality. Compare the movement of DLF(s) in FM18 and FM19 to see the difference in the positioning. (Also, it’s not the Regroup TI, that was added to help control the pressing and doubling up I was seeing without it selected) 

It’s with all teams including AI. The defending team is playing deeper and narrower than in FM18. Which is making the attackers take more advanced and narrower positions in the final phase of the attack to find space. There are threads about this issue in the bugs forum, but I feel that the underlying issue causing the attackers to behave in such a way is the deeper positioning of all players in the defending team apart from attack duty strikers.

And not so much the attacking positioning of the attackers, especially in the build up phases of the attack where they are moving like they should. It’s only the last phase where the defence is narrow and deep that all the attackers regardless of role or duty position themselves in the box and narrow. 

In my tactic, I have a hard time keeping WM(s) from attacking like a striker in the box when the ball is in the final phase of attack before a penetrative pass can be played. Even if I change him to WP(s) which has Hold Position on by default. Though this aggressive movement is only in the final phase of attacking play, not the build up play. 

In terms of defending, it’s as if the baseline tactic in FM19 has the following TI’s selected in the FM18 ME:

• Much Lower D line
  • Tight Marking
  • Get Stuck In

Find below, screenshots of one of my matches in this ME(1916). Look at the tackle percentages! Not just defenders, but the whole team. Mine and the AI. I don’t use any defensive TI’s in my system apart from Higher LOE. PKM attached at the end of the post.

b.thumb.png.4352b0dbfbbe35a2314fcef1d921dd9e.png

c.thumb.png.2c0393a0d682f45ece78b6a2da434315.png

d.thumb.png.b78133a278f1261711c2b48330837952.png

To reduce some free kicks which are natural consequence of the low block, I feel that tackling has been overpowered in this latest ME(1916).

During set pieces, it’s as if the ME reverts to Default mode for the first attack from the set piece (direct or indirect). Players in the defending team are positioned with a low D-line till the first attack is complete or the ball has been won back. The attackers are more aggressive and are mostly first to the ball.  

To conclude, I feel that the baseline FM19 low block defence coupled with the attackers being too aggressive with their movement in the final phase of the attack is making this ME dull with hardly any central play or intelligent movement. Deep defending is having a knock on effect on the attacking movement in the final phase leading to a lack of dribbles and key passes and also crosses and shots getting blocked.

Goals will come from crosses that haven’t been blocked or from central play that is the result of a quick counter attack but that is rare in this ME in my experience.

Hope this feedback helps!

Sporting Kansas City v LA Galaxy.pkm

2 hours ago, Amarante said:

To reply to the guys above on mentalities

Attacking football doesn't always mean high possession and defensive football doesn't mean i play direct and long ball. 

Carlo Ancelotti plays attacking football but his sides don't dominate possession, Liverpool plays attacking football but they don't always seek the ball. Alex Ferguson Manu played attacking football 

Possession football can be both defensive and attacking. Louis Van Gaal Manu team was not attacking but they had loads of possession. 

here's slightly more accurate descriptions of ''attacking'' attacking football according to Whoscored, lets see what they have in common:

Liverpool's Style of Play

• Short passes
  • Possession football
  • Control the game in the opposition's half
  • Attack through the middle
  • Non-aggressive
  • Play the offside trap
  • Chelsea's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Attempt through balls often
  • Non-aggressive
  • Consistent first eleven
  • Opponents play aggressively against them
  • Manchester City's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Attacking down the left
  • Non-aggressive
  • Rotate their first eleven
  • Tottenham's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Non-aggressive
  • Play the offside trap
  • Arsenal's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes

22 minutes ago, Mitja said:

if it's wrong description why are then basic templates for possessional style, tiki-taka and control possession using agressive mentalities?

Because they come with the more aggressive pressing, so a decision needed to be made.

It is worth noting that you can be attacking using almost any Mentality (although it'll be a struggle with Very Defensive/Contain) and you can play possession football with most Mentalities too.

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

That's an issue with the AI managers then. You can play possession & short passing on Attacking mentality by lowering passing length & tempo down to what would be the default settings for a Cautious mentality. You can play direct counter attacking with a Defensive mentality by increasing passing length & tempo.

In truth mentality in it's current implementation is still a bit silly. I haven't used anything other than Balanced for my main tactic for the past 2 years at minimum. If your point is that they need to rework mentality then I don't know if I agree, right now the point of mentality is to have finer control over things like passing directness, tempo, d-line etc in conjunction. If SI make mentality affect other things which cannot be controlled through regular TI's then people will rightly ask why those options aren't available as TI's. Mentality is useful for some people and changing during games sometimes but I've come to believe that most people should default to Balanced always. What is still needed after all these years is better descriptions & more clarity and transparency over what mentality does. And as you say better manager AI but that is a different discussion.

Just now, bar333 said:

Attacking mentality by lowering passing length & tempo down to what would be the default settings for a Cautious mentality.

You can't ever get the Mentality down to match default for Cautious. Attacking has a very high default tempo and Cautious fairly low/slow tempo. You can lower it on Attacking and than can help players hold onto it longer though. Mentalities have defaults attached to them.

56 minutes ago, divij13 said:

I feel that this Public Beta is a fantastic idea. I also would like to commend SI for the work they are doing on the game with the constant patches and fixes. It seems to me like there is more communication with users on the forum which is great!  Apologies for the length of this post in advance. I’ve spent quite a few hours on the latest ME(1916), here are my thoughts:

In my opinion, the latest ME1916 is definitely an improvement on the last and is the best one in FM19 till date. I use the same tactic that I used in FM18 and all the versions of the FM19 ME. I feel that helps in keeping this analysis uniform across the board. I will compare player movement to FM18 which according to me was a very well balanced ME.

Tactic:

a.thumb.png.f8483d28fb9a4f3747c8115533f827f8.png

The main issue according to me with FM19 is that all players in the defending team now position themselves deeper than they did in FM18. This is a great thing for low blocks as I have seen with my DLF(s) dropping down to below the half way line when the opposition has the ball. Even on Balanced / Positive mentality. Compare the movement of DLF(s) in FM18 and FM19 to see the difference in the positioning. (Also, it’s not the Regroup TI, that was added to help control the pressing and doubling up I was seeing without it selected) 

It’s with all teams including AI. The defending team is playing deeper and narrower than in FM18. Which is making the attackers take more advanced and narrower positions in the final phase of the attack to find space. There are threads about this issue in the bugs forum, but I feel that the underlying issue causing the attackers to behave in such a way is the deeper positioning of all players in the defending team apart from attack duty strikers.

And not so much the attacking positioning of the attackers, especially in the build up phases of the attack where they are moving like they should. It’s only the last phase where the defence is narrow and deep that all the attackers regardless of role or duty position themselves in the box and narrow. 

In my tactic, I have a hard time keeping WM(s) from attacking like a striker in the box when the ball is in the final phase of attack before a penetrative pass can be played. Even if I change him to WP(s) which has Hold Position on by default. Though this aggressive movement is only in the final phase of attacking play, not the build up play. 

In terms of defending, it’s as if the baseline tactic in FM19 has the following TI’s selected in the FM18 ME:

• Much Lower D line
  • Tight Marking
  • Get Stuck In

Find below, screenshots of one of my matches in this ME(1916). Look at the tackle percentages! Not just defenders, but the whole team. Mine and the AI. I don’t use any defensive TI’s in my system apart from Higher LOE. PKM attached at the end of the post.

b.thumb.png.4352b0dbfbbe35a2314fcef1d921dd9e.png

c.thumb.png.2c0393a0d682f45ece78b6a2da434315.png

d.thumb.png.b78133a278f1261711c2b48330837952.png

To reduce some free kicks which are natural consequence of the low block, I feel that tackling has been overpowered in this latest ME(1916).

During set pieces, it’s as if the ME reverts to Default mode for the first attack from the set piece (direct or indirect). Players in the defending team are positioned with a low D-line till the first attack is complete or the ball has been won back. The attackers are more aggressive and are mostly first to the ball.  

To conclude, I feel that the baseline FM19 low block defence coupled with the attackers being too aggressive with their movement in the final phase of the attack is making this ME dull with hardly any central play or intelligent movement. Deep defending is having a knock on effect on the attacking movement in the final phase leading to a lack of dribbles and key passes and also crosses and shots getting blocked.

Goals will come from crosses that haven’t been blocked or from central play that is the result of a quick counter attack but that is rare in this ME in my experience.

Hope this feedback helps!

Sporting Kansas City v LA Galaxy.pkm

Good post.

1 minute ago, Armistice said:

I think that's a very reasonable conclusion. I play a possession tactic and I'm a dominant team, but I feel like I'm playing against very deep and narrow sides too often.

43 minutes ago, Mitja said:

here's slightly more accurate description of ''attacking'' side Liverpool according to Whoscored:

• Short passes
  • Possession football
  • Non-aggressive
  • Play the offside trap

Again thats just media interpretation that thinks every team that plays attacking dominates the ball. They can't separate the two.  ask Jurgen Klopp if he thinks his side play short passes and possession football. Liverpool is more direct passes than anything else as they try to get the ball to the front as quickly as possible and they have gone long many many times. 

54 minutes ago, Amarante said:

Again thats just media interpretation that thinks every team that plays attacking dominates the ball. They can't separate the two.  ask Jurgen Klopp if he thinks his side play short passes and possession football. Liverpool is more direct passes than anything else as they try to get the ball to the front as quickly as possible and they have gone long many many times. 

nope that's not media interpretaiton what you said is FM database interpretation of Liverpool tatcics. irl they are 4th in possession stats, 3rd in passing %, 3rd in short passes per game, 5th lowest in long balls per game which only make 9% of all passing attempts, there are teams over 20%. 

if Liverpool uses more counter-attacks than City and Chelase it doesn't meen they are direct team. this is without mentioning in FM attacking + high tempo + direct = hoofing the ball forward all the time without sense. and that's the point i'm trying to make.

3 hours ago, bar333 said:

That's an issue with the AI managers then. You can play possession & short passing on Attacking mentality by lowering passing length & tempo down to what would be the default settings for a Cautious mentality. You can play direct counter attacking with a Defensive mentality by increasing passing length & tempo.

In truth mentality in it's current implementation is still a bit silly. I haven't used anything other than Balanced for my main tactic for the past 2 years at minimum. If your point is that they need to rework mentality then I don't know if I agree, right now the point of mentality is to have finer control over things like passing directness, tempo, d-line etc in conjunction. If SI make mentality affect other things which cannot be controlled through regular TI's then people will rightly ask why those options aren't available as TI's. Mentality is useful for some people and changing during games sometimes but I've come to believe that most people should default to Balanced always. What is still needed after all these years is better descriptions & more clarity and transparency over what mentality does. And as you say better manager AI but that is a different discussion.

i find that mentality is the only obsticle, apart from ME, why AI teams cannot play as database researchers set them.  there's no point of Burnley AI having set ''correct'' tatcical attributes for directness and tempo because when AI choses to play defensive and Burnley AI manager will do that in almost all awey games and many home, the defensive mentality will produce something completly different, one touch, possession oriented sexy football.  

in a game like FM where AI teams are whole football world, it directly influences your gaming experience and realism in the game. my point is that not only description of different tactical styles, templates and mentalities don't match what you see on the pitch, you need to use opposite mentality and weird and ilogical instructions to achieve desired play. and that AI will not be awere of the issues. it's not on me to decide whether mentality should be abandoned but it seems what could be reworked is that mentality doesn't interfere into passing decisions that much, so you or more importantly AI can recycle possessen even on attacking mentalities as game desription says. or that defensive mentalities produce the style they claim, not the opposite.

you really need to try attacking mentality to see how decision making looks there.

Hello everybody, tried the beta...
Early short impressions:
1) direct play has been toned down too much
2) Now i see a "short pass" gameplay (maybe too much excessive)  even with direct/long passes selected
3) Too little closing down in the centre of the midfield (this issue is also present in the current version), no matter the level of pressing selected

Greetings

4 hours ago, Mitja said:

here's slightly more accurate descriptions of ''attacking'' attacking football according to Whoscored, lets see what they have in common:

• Short passes
  • Possession football
  • Non-aggressive
  • Play the offside trap
  • Chelsea's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Non-aggressive
  • Consistent first eleven
  • Opponents play aggressively against them
  • Manchester City's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Non-aggressive
  • Rotate their first eleven
  • Tottenham's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes
  • Non-aggressive
  • Play the offside trap
  • Arsenal's Style of Play

• Possession football
  • Short passes

I find it disconcerting that people go to whoscored.com to set definitions on how teams play in real life. No LFC fan is gonna agree that they play a short passing game, and attack through the middle? I think whoscored are trying to target football manager fans to make themselves relevant. Arsenal's description is the funniest.

Gerade eben schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Yup, I raised a bug about that earlier. It's ruining my save. It's on a constant loop. 

It definitely ruined mine as well . Every day Interviews if i wanna sell or loan out this or that player .. Jesus . 

4 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

It is from before 

Aye, mine too, I wonder if that's had an effect, I suppose it's the risk you take when you volunteer for stuff like this. Was looking good for back to back promotions with my home team for the first time on any FM as well, knew something had to stop me! 

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Aye, mine too, I wonder if that's had an effect, I suppose it's the risk you take when you volunteer for stuff like this. Was looking good for back to back promotions with my home team for the first time on any FM as well, knew something had to stop me! 

I guess i'll have to try a new save then  :seagull: 

32 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Worth holding on for a hotfix to remedy it?

20 hours ago, Lanko said:

@Neil Brock

Can you tell me if Kosovo is hard coded to ever have only one spot in European competitions no matter how well you develop them? I heard this when reading someone's career with Kosovo right here in the forum (Kosovo gained positions in the coefficients, but never gained more spots for continental tournaments).

Or do they gain more spots as normal as other nations?

10 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

They're hard coded to one. Similar to Liechtenstein IRL UEFA has restricted them to a limited number of slots independent of their co-efficient. If we had evidence to suggest this shouldn't be the case we could make a change. 

But will they remain forever with only one spot allowed? I heard in the case of Licechtesntein it's because they only have seven clubs (and UEFA or FIFA demands a minimum of eight clubs) and they also all play in the Swiss league.

Kosovo is different. I heard they will only have one spot initially as a "new member" thing policy, but after some time of proven stability they'll gain more spots as normally. For example, this happened with Gibraltar and they were even updated in the March update of FM18.

I ask this because if one wants to play in Kosovo and try a "Improve the nation save", you would spend decades hard locked into one spot, when in real life by that time they would have more spots.

So any chance to remove the hard lock? I mean, it's not like the AI is gonna do anything crazy with Kosovo, but for any player wishing to player there the inability to properly improve and play with it would be very frustrating. I asked some editors and they said with just the editor they have they would have to rebuild all the European competitions and it was way too hard to do it, so my hope is on your end. 

Hopefully something can be done, I would hate to wait for something like the 2022 version of Football Manager to properly play in there haha.

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

i find that mentality is the only obsticle, apart from ME, why AI teams cannot play as database researchers set them.  there's no point of Burnley AI having set ''correct'' tatcical attributes for directness and tempo because when AI choses to play defensive and Burnley AI manager will do that in almost all awey games and many home, the defensive mentality will produce something completly different, one touch, possession oriented sexy football. 

The defensive mentality has never produced that in itself. Dunno about the current patched release, but the main obstacle actually starts, or used to, how AI allocate roles and duties. If they play "attacking" football, they tend to go with aggressive duties, oft disconnecting the forward line from midfield, prohibiting much interlinking, build up play and passing options. Additionally, they previously also oft fielded no much players who would control the centre of the park, which is utterly crucial. Additionally, AI manage matches dynamically, so switch those roles/duties during the course of a match. Typically: If they want to push for another goals, attack duties are added. Vice versa, defensive ones, etc.

If you want AI who actually is able to reproduce a "style", it is of utmost importance to get them to the point that they actually "think" in the spaces required to do so. Given that it's been the roles and duties governing positioning in possession, this is the thing to start. I'd group them together so that AI could use them more logically, like runners, holders, etc. As shown in the tactical forums too, there's nothing that inherently inhibits a more possession based style of play with the more aggressive mentalities (though the ball tends to be moved forward more quickly). That's how it's used to be more previous anyway. :D

On 23/11/2018 at 01:35, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is exactly why 'attacking' and 'defensive' mentalities are so badly named.

Attack both in fm and real life has always indicated more direct higher tempo style.

1-0 down with 10 mins to go you throw on a fellaini and go direct...you dont put in a hb and pass the ball around in neat triangles.

8 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I find it disconcerting that people go to whoscored.com to set definitions on how teams play in real life. No LFC fan is gonna agree that they play a short passing game, and attack through the middle? I think whoscored are trying to target football manager fans to make themselves relevant. Arsenal's description is the funniest.

They are in the top few teams in short passes and the bottom few teams in long passes. If Liverpool fans say they aren't playing a short passing game then Liverpool fans should watch more matches.

8 hours ago, teodoro said:

Hello everybody, tried the beta...
Early short impressions:
1) direct play has been toned down too much
2) Now i see a "short pass" gameplay (maybe too much excessive)  even with direct/long passes selected
3) Too little closing down in the centre of the midfield (this issue is also present in the current version), no matter the level of pressing selected

Greetings

Not having any of the issues above. I am able to play direct football with lots of closing down in the centre midfield. (Positive mentality)

3 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Attack both in fm and real life has always indicated more direct higher tempo style.

1-0 down with 10 mins to go you throw on a fellaini and go direct...you dont put in a hb and pass the ball around in neat triangles.

so ''attack'' has nothing to do with controling possession in final third, how many players team has further up, or how many players join counter-attacks. pressing all over the pitch? team can't play ''attacking'' with ground passing style? what about player and team quality?   

Archived