Breaking News: Football Manager 2018 Headline Features

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The scouting packags are realistic. You usually buy access to a database plus all matches the players are involved. So you can watch transfer targets in all matches. 

1 hour ago, mfprez said:

The scouting packages are not realistic. In real life, if a club in League Two wants to, it can, and probably does, open the latest Football Manager to check the database for players before scouting them for real.

I love how people think they know what happens behind closed doors at a football club. 

10 hours ago, KUBI said:

The scouting packags are realistic. You usually buy access to a database plus all matches the players are involved. So you can watch transfer targets in all matches. 

Whilst scouting packages are realistic for clubs at the top level, I highly doubt clubs below the Football League buy them.

7 hours ago, mfprez said:

Save money and use FM + Youtube/Footyhighlights/Fullmatchesandshows + your own scouts

I seriously doubt any football team use Youtube highlights as a means of scouting. I bet someone have even made a highlight package to make Titus Bramble look like a solid defender!

29 minutes ago, XaW said:

I seriously doubt any football team use Youtube highlights as a means of scouting. I bet someone have even made a highlight package to make Titus Bramble look like a solid defender!

Now now, there's not an editing package in the world that powerful.

I've got to say, that the scouting updates feel like the most realistic of all the new features. I'm really looking forward to FM18, much more than I have for previous years. SO much so that I actually can't motivate myself to play FM17 anymore

30 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Heh, I actually tried to find one, but everything included blunders instead. In retrospect I might have exaggerated that a bit. I'll change Bramble to Bobby Zamora then. 

2 hours ago, gunner86 said:

I've got to say, that the scouting updates feel like the most realistic of all the new features. I'm really looking forward to FM18, much more than I have for previous years. SO much so that I actually can't motivate myself to play FM17 anymore

Same here mate, I had a pretty good save going on FM17 but haven't touched t for over a week now, just can't bring myself to playing it as really want 18 now!!

On 10/16/2017 at 23:19, Dagenham_Dave said:

I love how people think they know what happens behind closed doors at a football club. 

I know our club do use FM for data on opponents. So he's not entirely wrong

1 hour ago, Optimistic Dave said:

Any news on whether we get the Qatar World Cup this time around?

I'd bet a sizeable amount that we won't given the chaos such a schedule would cause. It won't be in until the authorities give a more detailed plan as to what's going to happen in real life

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

I'd bet a sizeable amount that we won't given the chaos such a schedule would cause. It won't be in until the authorities give a more detailed plan as to what's going to happen in real life

There is sort of irony in your reply.

It is okay to wait and see authorities give a more detail plan what is going to happen in real life about Qatar World Cup. Then Brexit is included in the game...

I'm sorry both are still very incognito what is going to happen in the future. Yet brexit gets included and world Cup in Qatar is not. Doesn't seem fair.

Brexit is garbage voted for by people. Qatar 22 is just garbage. :-P

To me the game as an "idealized football world" where the most ridiculous has never quite fully come to pass (Footie Leaks, Match Fixing, Vote Rigging, Doping, Racism, Hooliganism, Homophobia, AI Opponent Cheating), has always been better off without it. But that's opinion and OT. Generally I think those comparisons don't make much sense, no least because Brexit (in whichever shape) will be something long-term impacting economies, whereas the WC 22 will be a one-off media event to be succeeded by the next one. The one thing they have in common that perhaps the majority would agree with: Neither of which is required to make the game enjoyable in any kind of way.

Edited by Svenc

9 hours ago, grade said:

There is sort of irony in your reply.

It is okay to wait and see authorities give a more detail plan what is going to happen in real life about Qatar World Cup. Then Brexit is included in the game...

I'm sorry both are still very incognito what is going to happen in the future. Yet brexit gets included and world Cup in Qatar is not. Doesn't seem fair.

They're not really comparable situations though, particularly from an FM-coding standpoint (which is the big thing for SI, obviously).  Putting Brexit in changes transfer rules.  Big impact for the user, but not so big an impact from a coding perspective.

Put a Qatar World Cup in the winter, and the changes that need to be made are absolutely enormous.  The core of the game in terms of scheduling leagues is built around a fixed season start and end point.  With this you'd have to have that variable, and a period of 3 or 4 seasons where no two seasons were the same.  That is either going to take a considerable sea-change in how they code seasons, or so much hard-coding that you effectively kill off any editing of the affected leagues.  It's completely understandable why they would shy away from doing it from a coding perspective, even if it is surprising from a political perspective.

8 hours ago, Vinnyvagus77 said:

November though? You said 26-Nov :)

I'm sorry. I meant to say: today, OCTOBER 27. I swear I'm not time traveling. Check on Steam USA.

Edited by phd_angel
clarity

• 2 weeks later...
  • Neil Brock featured and unpinned this topic