Jump to content

Breaking News: Football Manager 2018 Headline Features


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so "dynamics" appears to be related to inter-relationships between players, and maybe players & staff.  Not sure of it's a bit over-egged, but we'll see.

 

'Medical Centre' added to the menu, so sports scientists and I guess physios play a more effective role along with data analysts.

The Medical Centre screens look really good actually - hopefully people who tediously moan about too many injuries every release will pay due attention to their staff!

 

Buying scouting 'packages' sounds kinda weird but if it's true to life then fair play. Won't affect me as a lower-league manager anyway.

Match engine and graphics looking cool at first sight - all in all what little we're shown looks pretty good.

Edited by phnompenhandy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I noticed in the video:

- 3D looked much "cleaner" than FM17
- Medical center. A place to get more (detailed) physio reports? Help to avoid injuries?
- Hierarchy. A more detailed team feeling? Leaders other than captains?
- Social groups. For players? "Friends play better together"? Making sure or a "togetherness" in the squad?
- Better scouting reports
- Scouting "packages". To increase knowledge of players based on certain criteria?
- "Attribute cards". To help out with picking the team?

Looks exciting so far. Can't wait to see Miles go deeper into the matter in the coming weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andu1 said:

3D graphics didn't look much too different from FM17. Only a bit cleaner like mentioned before.

so i wonder if this new graphics engine means heavily modified match engine.

Doubt it.  Graphics and Match Engine are very different things, and given how often there's confusion on that point, I doubt SI would say one thing while meaning the other.  

I didn't think it looked that much different either, but that doesn't mean it won't be.  We saw a few seconds, the proof will be in watching a full game and how passages of play link together

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, forameuss said:

Doubt it.  Graphics and Match Engine are very different things, and given how often there's confusion on that point, I doubt SI would say one thing while meaning the other.  

I didn't think it looked that much different either, but that doesn't mean it won't be.  We saw a few seconds, the proof will be in watching a full game and how passages of play link together

I wonder what the yellow lines between player on the tactics screen are. something like a link between players maybe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, screens at the end the most interesting.

I like the dynamics.  I guess it follows on from the personalities/calculations to work out the best captain etc.  Not sure if anything there is new its just been brought to the front more as a large % of users didn't seem to bother with that side of building a team.

I noticed the tactics screen was split into sections which perhaps points to a more visual representation of how your setup works when attacking & defending.

There was also a screen with "attribute cards", maybe linked to the draft improvements?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, KUBI said:

 

 

4 minutes ago, KUBI said:

When one of the lads is talking you can see stadiums on a monitor. 

indeed and they look great. but when the actual in game footage is shown doesn't look that different compared to FM. maybe it was done on low spec pc.

i like how the tactics screen is divided into zones. wonder what that means. however - team shape is still present grrr

Edited by MBarbaric
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cougar2010 said:

Yeah, screens at the end the most interesting.

I like the dynamics.  I guess it follows on from the personalities/calculations to work out the best captain etc.  Not sure if anything there is new its just been brought to the front more as a large % of users didn't seem to bother with that side of building a team.

Gotta be a lot more to it than just picking captains. Looks to me like dynamic relationships between players - making friendships, falling out and that. Transfers in and out would affect it seriously and I'd expect it to impact on squad gelling/blending as well as morale. When I speculated about 'over-egging' I mean it might go overboard in having to deal with personal issues/conflicts too much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Gotta be a lot more to it than just picking captains. Looks to me like dynamic relationships between players - making friendships, falling out and that. Transfers in and out would affect it seriously and I'd expect it to impact on squad gelling/blending as well as morale. When I speculated about 'over-egging' I mean it might go overboard in having to deal with personal issues/conflicts too much.

But a lot of that has already been in the game for ages.

When you get scout/coach reports it tells you that players are "having to adapt" or "struggling to fit in"

The problem is a lot of users simply ignore it and focus just on the attributes/stars etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cougar2010 said:

But a lot of that has already been in the game for ages.

When you get scout/coach reports it tells you that players are "having to adapt" or "struggling to fit in"

The problem is a lot of users simply ignore it and focus just on the attributes/stars etc.

Right - I've been quite happy with the way it's been. It could get overbearing now it's a whole, prominent, discrete feature. We'll see.

Edited by phnompenhandy
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Right - I've been quite happy with the way it's been. It could get overbearing now it's a whole, prominent, discrete feature. We'll see.

to me it seems like a cosmetic improvement. the player interaction was all over the place in fm 17, now you have one tab where you can see all the squad happiness.

Edited by andu1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KUBI said:

So we have to deal with Neymar/Cavani scenarios in FM 2018. :)

 

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Precisely. If it's over done we'll be less football managers and more supply teachers at Bog Street Comp :-(

*post-FM15 PTSD triggered*

"You told me I'm a first team player but I only played 25 matches this season out of the 30 I've not been injured for! You're gonna regret this and have a squad mutiny in your hands!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andu1 said:

to me it seems like a cosmetic improvement. the player interaction was all over the place in fm 17, now you have one tab where you can see all the squad happiness.

Yeah, if this feature and the medical centre clarify matters and add interest, that'll be great. If their inclusion results in increases in injuries and players conflicts to justify their inclusion, that will be less satisfactory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ncamb said:

Could somebody make a recap of what Miles said? Without subtitles it's hard for non-English people

He just confirmed the rumours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, until now interaction seemed to be mostly limited to player <---> manager, bar the occasional squad mutiny, it seems that now the game will also include relationships between the players themselves, as in "this new guy came in and wants to take all the penalties, let's have a bust-up in the dressing room!".

Edited by endtime
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, endtime said:

Well, until now interaction seemed to be mostly limited to player <---> manager, bar the occasional squad mutiny, it seems that now the game will also take relationships between the players themselves, as in "this new guy came in and wants to take all the penalties, let's have a bust-up in the dressing room!".

I'm beginning to suspect SI slipped Cavani and Neymar a bung to do a bit of guerrilla marketing for FM18    :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, I thought this kind of social groups, potential bad relationships between players in different groups etc couldn't be done for legal reasons.

I actually like that it will be in the game as it's more realistic, just concerned if it turns out overdone as sometimes new features are, to try to stand out from the previous games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The clique aspect to dynamics seems intriguing. A team like Rangers who bought heavily from particular countries and leagues in the transfer season (Mexico and Portugal) would be heavily impacted by this new feature. It adds a new level of texture and challenge to the game and I look forward to it.

clique2018.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that this is "work in progress" and all, but that Watford goal in the clip gave me PTSD, first the horrible headed clearance and then nobody out of the 8 players in and around the box even looks to mark the scorer or intercept the ball :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, endtime said:

I know that this is "work in progress" and all, but that Watford goal in the clip gave me PTSD, first the horrible headed clearance and then nobody out of the 8 players in and around the box even looks to mark the scorer or intercept the ball :(

It's the first game of pre-season, that's perfectly normal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, endtime said:

I know that this is "work in progress" and all, but that Watford goal in the clip gave me PTSD, first the horrible headed clearance and then nobody out of the 8 players in and around the box even looks to mark the scorer or intercept the ball :(

wouldn't pay much attention to that. That kind of goals look stupid but happen all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

And between DCs and MCs - seems to be about players linking up closer in the match.

maybe it helps with defensive positioning, player playing narrower in certain formations like it was heavily requested for FM17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andu1 said:

maybe it helps with defensive positioning, player playing narrower in certain formations like it was heavily requested for FM17.

Yes, you'll notice the team tactic is 'play wider' but it seems the manager wants to 2 MCs to play narrow.  More specific tactical instructions is something we've been calling for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we'll have an element of 'wibble-wobble'. Managers are increasingly insisting that formations are only relevant for when the team doesn't have the ball, and when they're in possession it's a 'different ball game'. Would like to see that reflected in FM somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Naturally delighted to hear talk of improved tactical options, new player roles and tweaks to the match engine.

That's exactly what I'm looking for in this game.

Hoping those zones on the tactics board give us greater flexibility in player positioning and pressing schemes.

Also really wishing that at least one of those new roles is an attacking centre back!

I'm optimistic that this could be an FM to remember.

So far, so good. 😀

I'm getting closer to pre-ordering. :thup:

Edited by Michael Zorc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if dynamics will make things like favoured personnel a lot more important this year, looks like it could be a really interesting addition if it's implemented properly. Probably not the only one who's most excited about the tactics stuff though, there's a frustratingly low level of customisability with things like width in the game at the minute so it'd be great if that was dealt with

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Neil Brock featured and unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...