Football Manager 2017 17.3.0 Official Feedback Thread

On 2/3/2017 at 15:39, Lucas Weatherby said:

As was posted a few posts above yours:

There isn't any changes except fixing a warning appearing during a match. This necessitated a version number increase.

Yes I understand this, but I would like to know when will be making changes to the Match Engine than ever this year are critical to greatly improve the gaming experience, that's all. :)

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Dave1990 said:

Yes I understand this, but I would like to know when will be making changes to the Match Engine than ever this year are critical to greatly improve the gaming experience, that's all. :)

There are no plans for match engine updates at this stage. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

There are no plans for match engine updates at this stage. Thanks. 

Perfect, now I understand. Then, report bugs what is the use if you don't correct them? For example, there is even a bug reported by more than a year of inconsistency in individual closing down, the information was provided but nothing is done to solve the problem, is this normal?

A game with clear cut chances/half chances displayed in a completely random manner it is obvious that it must be improved. So I'll have to get used to seeing my goalkeeper set to "distribuite to full backs" pass the ball to CBs, or my defensive corner routine completely random, as shown in this thread: https://community.sigames.com/topic/395774-corner-routines/

I honestly don't understand how a game where teams run on average 140 km per game can make you feel satisfied, it's crazy! I know that to change a few things it takes a long time, such as decreasing drastically the number of crosses, but for the things listed before I would have expected a quick fix. But apparently everything is perfect, have fun with FootballRandom17!

• Administrators
Just now, Dave1990 said:

Perfect, now I understand. Then, report bugs what is the use if you don't correct them? For example, there is even a bug reported by more than a year of inconsistency in individual closing down, the information was provided but nothing is done to solve the problem, is this normal?

A game with clear cut chances/half chances displayed in a completely random manner it is obvious that it must be improved. So I'll have to get used to seeing my goalkeeper set to "distribuite to full backs" pass the ball to CBs, or my defensive corner routine completely random, as shown in this thread: https://community.sigames.com/topic/395774-corner-routines/

I honestly don't understand how a game where teams run on average 140 km per game can make you feel satisfied, it's crazy! I know that to change a few things it takes a long time, such as decreasing drastically the number of crosses, but for the things listed before I would have expected a quick fix. But apparently everything is perfect, have fun with FootballRandom17!

Reporting bugs will help with the future development and future versions of the game. 

20 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Reporting bugs will help with the future development and future versions of the game. 

That's the problem, wait for future versions to see the corrections that should be made immediately. But not always the case, otherwise the inconsistency on individual closing down would not be there. The price increases but the quality decreases, it is a fact. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Dave1990 said:

That's the problem, wait for future versions to see the corrections that should be made immediately. But not always the case, otherwise the inconsistency on individual closing down would not be there. The price increases but the quality decreases, it is a fact. 

You're the only person in the thread to mention this issue to be fair, the match engine is always an area that will be continually refined and improved upon versions. Appreciate your feedback and what you'd like would like to be improved, please raise them in the bugs forum if you have constructive feedback. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

You're the only person in the thread to mention this issue to be fair, the match engine is always an area that will be continually refined and improved upon versions. Appreciate your feedback and what you'd like would like to be improved, please raise them in the bugs forum if you have constructive feedback. Thanks.

This problem was also noted by others, it is a fact explained here: 

To be constructive, you must be able to accept criticism. A game that defines itself as the best ever produced may not have all the inconsistencies listed first, at least try to fix them would be appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, Dave1990 said:

I understand your frustration however as someone who has spent time on the inside at SI I'm fully aware fir how complex the ME is & that it's not as straight-forward as most of us woudl expect it to be. After many lengthy conversation with key people within the ME team when I worked at SI & since I left I can confidently say that they do have the same frustrations with what they can achieve when coding something as complex as a football match engine that is capable of producing thousands of varied matches in each game week but there is only so much that can be safely done on a mid-cycle update as even a apparently innocuous change not only affects the ME but also everything else in the game-world.

As an example something as simple as distance run would require more checks on movement during ball in play & out of play, checks on when a player is walking, jogging or sprinting & then looping that back to the direction of movement as moving sideways or backwards takes a greater physical effort than moving forward in a straight line, this would then link to the physical attributes to ensure the correct cost is taken for the movement but it doesn't stop there as there will be aerobic & anaerobic recovery to consider, can a player sprint for 40 yards, stop, turn & then sprint another 40 yards? How often can he do that & at what point does he hit the wall & how much farther can he go than another player who is less physically capable? All this is before the ME even considers the impact the movement has on the players ability to actually play the ball or read the game to make that vital interception.

I could go on however I trust that you get where I've been going which is that SI have created such a impressive rule based simulation of 22 men independently moving about a pitch that to improve on the current system requires much more time, thought & testing than even in the recent past & I understand that even accepting the issues at hand with the current ME (let's be clear I hate the default approach to defending the flanks) if the game is balanced. which it is, it's better to not mess with it mid-cycle & rather move straight to the next full release & work on producing what in recent years has been an enjoyable launch ME. 

55 minutes ago, Barside said:

I understand your frustration however as someone who has spent time on the inside at SI I'm fully aware fir how complex the ME is & that it's not as straight-forward as most of us woudl expect it to be. After many lengthy conversation with key people within the ME team when I worked at SI & since I left I can confidently say that they do have the same frustrations with what they can achieve when coding something as complex as a football match engine that is capable of producing thousands of varied matches in each game week but there is only so much that can be safely done on a mid-cycle update as even a apparently innocuous change not only affects the ME but also everything else in the game-world.

As an example something as simple as distance run would require more checks on movement during ball in play & out of play, checks on when a player is walking, jogging or sprinting & then looping that back to the direction of movement as moving sideways or backwards takes a greater physical effort than moving forward in a straight line, this would then link to the physical attributes to ensure the correct cost is taken for the movement but it doesn't stop there as there will be aerobic & anaerobic recovery to consider, can a player sprint for 40 yards, stop, turn & then sprint another 40 yards? How often can he do that & at what point does he hit the wall & how much farther can he go than another player who is less physically capable? All this is before the ME even considers the impact the movement has on the players ability to actually play the ball or read the game to make that vital interception.

I could go on however I trust that you get where I've been going which is that SI have created such a impressive rule based simulation of 22 men independently moving about a pitch that to improve on the current system requires much more time, thought & testing than even in the recent past & I understand that even accepting the issues at hand with the current ME (let's be clear I hate the default approach to defending the flanks) if the game is balanced. which it is, it's better to not mess with it mid-cycle & rather move straight to the next full release & work on producing what in recent years has been an enjoyable launch ME. 

I appreciate your intervention even if they do not agree on some things. I know that to make a change on ME need a lot of testing and hours of work, but on some points you can't compromise. Two years ago with FM15 it has reached the lowest point in FM history with bugs on the corner / long throw-ins which was never settled, try to imagine how it could be fun to challenge those who exploited this bug...

My criticism comes from far away because it isn't acceptable that in 2017, after numerous reports, don't solve at least the basic parts like statistics for example and inconsistencies in clear cut chances/half chances. Try to watch a game in full mode and then see if that Match Engine can be called enjoyable... 

If the settings on my defensive routines are entrusted entirely to chance, why should I continue to set them?  It 's just an example, to make the idea.

Edited by Dave1990

I only ever watch full matches so I do appreciate why you're frustrated, there are times when I watch 90 minutes of perfection & then there are times when it looks like I'm watching a division 7 under 9s match.

ME is balanced but far from perfect, nobody knows that better than SI. I am sure they know much better where the ME is lacking and its flaws are far outstretching what casual player can see watching the game. especially on key highlights.

what I don't like when it comes to how SI deals with things is the way they don't communicate these things. they haven't done any ME updates in march update for two years and people were expecting them. especially people who buy the game year after year. I think more fair approach would be to announce they won't be updating the ME, explain the reasons behind it and say what are the biggest flaws they are dealing with. I believe anyone who appreciates the game would welcome and understand such approach.

on the other hand, I might be completely wrong and they probably have their reasons...

Edited by MBarbaric

13 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

ME is balanced but far from perfect, nobody knows that better than SI. I am sure they know much better where the ME is lacking and its flaws are far outstretching what casual player can see watching the game. especially on key highlights.

what I don't like when it comes to how SI deals with things is the way they don't communicate these things. they haven't done any ME updates in march update for two years and people were expecting them. especially people who buy the game year after year. I think more fair approach would be to announce they won't be updating the ME, explain the reasons behind it and say what are the biggest flaws they are dealing with. I believe anyone who appreciates the game would welcome and understand such approach.

on the other hand, I might be completely wrong and they probably have their reasons...

It is a shame that more SA staff are not active in GD but as a former SI employee I understand why the sight of an SI badge outside of the bugs forum, OTF/FF or feedback threads is uncommon, I tried to engage with GD users as often as I could to help them but all too often it was just thrown back in my face, lucky I'm thick skinned & was always willing to persevere, it's good to see that Seb seems to have picked up where I left off.

As for the ME team it's probably quite difficult for them to post much of any use as most of the reasons why things can or cannot be done is based on what the code can do, can be adapted to do or needs more work that takes time & that's the type of conversation that tends to get blocked due to NDA's.

2 hours ago, Barside said:

It is a shame that more SA staff are not active in GD but as a former SI employee I understand why the sight of an SI badge outside of the bugs forum, OTF/FF or feedback threads is uncommon, I tried to engage with GD users as often as I could to help them but all too often it was just thrown back in my face, lucky I'm thick skinned & was always willing to persevere, it's good to see that Seb seems to have picked up where I left off.

As for the ME team it's probably quite difficult for them to post much of any use as most of the reasons why things can or cannot be done is based on what the code can do, can be adapted to do or needs more work that takes time & that's the type of conversation that tends to get blocked due to NDA's.

have to say I see quite a bit SI people around... not like at the times when Ov (or was it Paul?) used to post back on the old forums but still we have more interaction than 99% of communities out there. However, I was referring more to company policy than single employee coming here explaining things (and we do get those gems as well). I meant that company, or the ultimate representative that completely moved to twitter :D  , should make a clear statement... We have problems with defensive organization/kilometers ran/... those things can't be fixed in 6 months/year/two/... because of .... Therefore we are looking to solve this in such and such way... 

I firmly believe that community would absolutely appreciate that kind of open stance and clarity. general expectation wouldn't be so high making frustration less of a problem as well. Would that cost SI some revenue? Frankly I think so.  If not, they would already do it. 

Edited by MBarbaric

• Administrators
2 hours ago, welshdragon said:

Currently playing online game and since the winter update it processes painfully slowly. Anyone else having this issue?

Please post your issue here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/522-network-game-issues/

7 hours ago, Dave1990 said:

I appreciate your intervention even if they do not agree on some things. I know that to make a change on ME need a lot of testing and hours of work, but on some points you can't compromise. Two years ago with FM15 it has reached the lowest point in FM history with bugs on the corner / long throw-ins which was never settled, try to imagine how it could be fun to challenge those who exploited this bug...

My criticism comes from far away because it isn't acceptable that in 2017, after numerous reports, don't solve at least the basic parts like statistics for example and inconsistencies in clear cut chances/half chances. Try to watch a game in full mode and then see if that Match Engine can be called enjoyable... 

If the settings on my defensive routines are entrusted entirely to chance, why should I continue to set them?  It 's just an example, to make the idea.

Dave I understand your frustrations. Games nowadays are released without it being at least 97% polished even. my opinion is FM games are needlessly released every year without it ever fixing fundamental issues. it's all about the money nowadays. the problem is not just FM but the gaming industry at the moment.

just chill, accept it and just try to enjoy the game. good luck.

On 01/03/2017 at 17:42, Dan9Maguire said:

Whoever does the research for the Conference teams are lazy. Injuries not done, very little upgrades to players that very much need them... poor.

Which teams? I spent hours sorting Lincoln out

15 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

I agree with you, better communication by the SI would surely be appreciated.

I struggle to understand one thing: why insert the innovations when they are not yet perfect? The prime example are the inconsistencies of clear cut chances / half chance this year: fantastic the idea of SI inserting them well for head shots, but this has changed some readings of the game that are now anything but perfect.

Basically, they bother me all the changes in a negative of the game. FM16, with all its faults, was coherent. There weren't random changes on the goalkeeper's choices, for example, or in defensive routines, I think this type of inconsistencies are the most difficult to accept.

8 hours ago, upthetoon said:

Dave I understand your frustrations. Games nowadays are released without it being at least 97% polished even. my opinion is FM games are needlessly released every year without it ever fixing fundamental issues. it's all about the money nowadays. the problem is not just FM but the gaming industry at the moment.

just chill, accept it and just try to enjoy the game. good luck.

The lack of competition affect in an important way, but it's not just that. I read about people who consider perfect the match engine and maybe they play in key mode, is that right? It seems a mockery of the SI, having to play a game where the random component is the highest ever. For some must be fun to see the teams that run 140 kilometers or more per game, see that the goalkeeper's choices are completely random, or see three players that press the same man because the readings on closing down are wrong from the beginning. I could go on but I shall become even more boring...

Edited by Dave1990

18 hours ago, Dave1990 said:

When you main criticism is about how the stats for CCCs are counted by the engine, I would say things are pretty decent already. Whilst the match engine can, and will, get better, there was absolutely no need to touch the current version. There are no glaring bugs, nothing that happens repeatedly and breaks the game experience. There are small things, but this is by far the best match engine SI have thus far produced. 

On my part, I just noticed that a player with a head injury came back with a bandage on his head. Is this new, or was it just the first time I noticed it?

I haven't noticed any change in the Match Engine, because I saw the same problems as before:

- defensive Corner and free kick routines are completely random

@Dave1990

I reported that problem. Lately I don't see that problem in my save.

===========================================================================

I found some problems:

- As in the image, when I am on that screen and I click on the player name to see the list of player that can work in a tactical role, none list is shown and the player info disappears.

- I dunno why, the match intro (the players walking onto pitch, managers handshaking) doesn't happen. And the option is active.

- I noted some player info is lacking in the scout player. Not happen with all players, but with someones doesn't appear the tactical part (the pitch with the positional player and the scout info). This happens with the loaning players.

20170304122416_1.jpg

Edited by tiago_wakabayashi
add bugs info

First off, thanks for the update SI, I always enjoy the January transfer update makes it seem like an entirely new game. However, I echo the sentiments above that the game has got painfully slow since the update. Is there any indication of what is causing this and is there likely to be a fix released? 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mancia said:

I've started a new game with the 17.3 update and the continue process is too slow at the moment. This started with the new 17.3 update. It takes so long to pass a day in the game.

8 minutes ago, chapperz92 said:

First off, thanks for the update SI, I always enjoy the January transfer update makes it seem like an entirely new game. However, I echo the sentiments above that the game has got painfully slow since the update. Is there any indication of what is causing this and is there likely to be a fix released? 

Please report your issue in the bugs forum

46 minutes ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

I haven't noticed any change in the Match Engine, because I saw the same problems as before:

- defensive Corner and free kick routines are completely random

@Dave1990

I reported that problem. Lately I don't see that problem in my save.

But I still see it, I wouldn't know. SI hasn't said anything about it, I doubt have it solved.

2 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

When you main criticism is about how the stats for CCCs are counted by the engine, I would say things are pretty decent already. Whilst the match engine can, and will, get better, there was absolutely no need to touch the current version. There are no glaring bugs, nothing that happens repeatedly and breaks the game experience. There are small things, but this is by far the best match engine SI have thus far produced. 

On my part, I just noticed that a player with a head injury came back with a bandage on his head. Is this new, or was it just the first time I noticed it?

Are you sure of what you say? Now I make a list of all the things that aren't good in this game, let's see if it is all right or are unimportant things:

1) CCCs problem, as reported here and was not only noticed by me: 

2) The goalkeeper's choices, as reported here are very often wrong and don't follow the instructions. Isn't important that the goalkeeper follows our directions? 

3) Defensive corner and free kick routines are completely random as reported here: isn't it a major bug see the completely random behavior by your players in free kicks situations? 

4) The average of km run per game, I don't think it's normal to see your full-backs to run 15 km or more, it seems they chose the wrong sport... 

5) The inconsistencies in closing down, as shown here:  

Indeed there was a report last year on one of the points that I reported, but everything has remained the same, why?

6) The number of turnovers / balls recovered is completely unreal, as demonstrated here: 

To make this game as realistic as possible need to follow the actual data. I don't ask absolute perfection, but at least that the game data aren't 5 times the data of reality.

7) The same applies to the total number of the crosses, totally unrealistic:

Why do you pretend not to see? It would have to change the total number of crosses not the percentage of completed crosses.  And we continue to see a low crosses and the goalkeeper that don't keep the ball and put the ball in the corner, why? 

8) The throw-ins are often random, as you will see in the video...

Points 4, 5, 6, and 7 are more difficult to solve and I understand it well, it takes a long time and many trials. But the other problems in my opinion should have been fixed with this patch. I always see the same things in every match, but there was nothing to fix, is a perfect game, enjoy! :) 

Edited by Dave1990

Is there a bug with season expectations prompt?
I finished my first season on a new save and I didn't get any season expectations message for the upcoming season and it's already July.
It usually popped up mid-late June every time I was playing in Serie A, after the draw for the new season.
It's really bad because I didn't get any money or wage budget yet, and the transfer window has already started.

Confidence still reflects previous season's competitions, for some reason new season expectations didn't trigger for the upcoming season.
And it's less than a month away from Super Cup.

EDIT: Here it is, 5th of July. And I didn't get any funds, even after qualifying for CL.
Whatever.

Edited by GunmaN1905

I think the update overall is brilliant and everything is working perfectly. Only one minor issue however. While in a match on the 2D classic view, when the ball is moving quickly (usually from a goal kick) the path of the ball is followed by black pixels that stay on the screen unless I go to another screen. I have not changed any of my setting since the update ao not sure if it is something in the new patch. 

Like I said, nothing major but I just thought I should raise it. 

6 minutes ago, 11Clarkie11 said:

I think the update overall is brilliant and everything is working perfectly. Only one minor issue however. While in a match on the 2D classic view, when the ball is moving quickly (usually from a goal kick) the path of the ball is followed by black pixels that stay on the screen unless I go to another screen. I have not changed any of my setting since the update ao not sure if it is something in the new patch. 

Like I said, nothing major but I just thought I should raise it. 

Try adjusting the graphical quality settings in preferences

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Anyone else had norton security pop up with a message about the "update not having a valid digital signature"? 

You should make sure your anti virus is correctly configured it seems it might not be: 

40 minutes ago, Welshace said:

If steam isn't starting fm17 won't be the issue...

Have you restarted your computer and tried again?

Tried a few times and finally worked. Totally panicked there after the first couple of restarts were unsuccessful. Strange, but thankfully ok now.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, antina said:

The game run very slower since this update. 

Please open a thread in the bugs forum and provide some information about your game.

A couple of things I think detract slightly from match day experience:

In 3D view it is too obvious whether the wide player is going to get his cross in or not.  I think 3D view has made very good strides each year and I know many things in 3D view are still a "suggestion" of action in a match and you have to fill in the gaps sometimes, but for future versions of the game, imo wide play and build up play would be much more thrilling if this crossing or not making the cross wasn't so obvious.

When there is a speedy pass out out wide to a wide player who is in space, the ball is nearly always crossed first time and very accurately.  IMO this doesn't look quite right.  If the pass out wide was slow and perfectly placed in front of the wide player I think then yes he may cross first time but it's usually a speedy pass and looks unrealistic   I might be wrong, but when you watch a match irl don't they pretty much always take at least a touch first to steady themselves for balance or whatever, then cross (it almost looks like a volleyed cross in 3D view) .   It also makes the build up look too pingy ie ball is pinged to the wide player at pace and pinged into the box first time.  Imo only, this does not look that authentic.  Don't know if anyone agrees?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Vassilis 7 said:

Hello all..Anyone knows when the Update 17.3.0 will be available for the FM17 Touch? Thanks.

From the first page:

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 17:25, Lucas Weatherby said:

Not yet. We are hoping soon, it has to go through submission and approval process on Tablet. 

In terms of an update, we are still hoping for as soon as we can. Thanks.

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 16:43, Dave1990 said:

Are you sure of what you say? Now I make a list of all the things that aren't good in this game, let's see if it is all right or are unimportant things:

1) CCCs problem, as reported here and was not only noticed by me: 

2) The goalkeeper's choices, as reported here are very often wrong and don't follow the instructions. Isn't important that the goalkeeper follows our directions? 

3) Defensive corner and free kick routines are completely random as reported here: isn't it a major bug see the completely random behavior by your players in free kicks situations? 

4) The average of km run per game, I don't think it's normal to see your full-backs to run 15 km or more, it seems they chose the wrong sport... 

5) The inconsistencies in closing down, as shown here:  

Indeed there was a report last year on one of the points that I reported, but everything has remained the same, why?

6) The number of turnovers / balls recovered is completely unreal, as demonstrated here: 

To make this game as realistic as possible need to follow the actual data. I don't ask absolute perfection, but at least that the game data aren't 5 times the data of reality.

7) The same applies to the total number of the crosses, totally unrealistic:

Why do you pretend not to see? It would have to change the total number of crosses not the percentage of completed crosses.  And we continue to see a low crosses and the goalkeeper that don't keep the ball and put the ball in the corner, why? 

8) The throw-ins are often random, as you will see in the video...

Points 4, 5, 6, and 7 are more difficult to solve and I understand it well, it takes a long time and many trials. But the other problems in my opinion should have been fixed with this patch. I always see the same things in every match, but there was nothing to fix, is a perfect game, enjoy! :) 

Watch Man Utd vs Bournemouth from the weekend... Rooney, Ibra, Pogba, the Ref all need reprogramming. So many bad shots, passes, decisions... Man Utd shouldn't enter the league next year ... give them more time to iron out all the issues :thup:

58 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Watch Man Utd vs Bournemouth from the weekend... Rooney, Ibra, Pogba, the Ref all need reprogramming. So many bad shots, passes, decisions... Man Utd shouldn't enter the league next year ... give them more time to iron out all the issues :thup:

I'm not complaining of bad passes, bad shots or wrong decisions, are normal in football and there must be! What should not be in the game seems to me to have it explained well. I would not want you to arrive at the same point of FM15, with a huge bug (the famous bug of the corners / long throw-ins) known but never solved and related gaming experience compromised for an entire year

• Administrators
1 minute ago, xtradj said:

When do we expect 17.3.1 to go from beta to actual release? From what I read it seems to be working and therefore is it days away or will you continue to test for a while

When it's considered ready for release. It only addresses critical issues. We are still investigating other issue regarding reports of slowdown affecting some users.

With match engine updates, I completely understand why SI don't want to address major, match changing issues that need very careful balancing like the current compromise between wide midfielders helping their (too narrow) MCs out and watching fullbacks that might overlap, which is currently skewed far too much towards the latter having been skewed too much towards the former in FM16. Getting the balance right is tricky, and a mid-term update that radically alters how the engine handles midfield play also annoys players by wiping out tactical edges they've spent a long time tinkering with tactics to achieve.

But I'd have thought a more conservative match engine update that fixes stuff like goalkeepers - even good ones - insisting on conceding corners stretching for crosses that are obviously going wide should be achievable. Net effect: some less silly replays and maybe one fewer corner a game (and no tactical effect whatsoever since nobody bases their tactic around trying to go wide of the near post). Same goes for making players a little more likely to follow goalkeeper distribution or corner delivery instructions (understand that players aren't robots and don't always deliver the ball in the manner they're asked to and sometimes there's even a good reason for not rolling the ball to the fullbacks, but Joe Hart lost the #1 role at City for less persistent ignoring of simple instructions)

Edited by enigmatic

It got even worst

http://prntscr.com/egqjme

http://prntscr.com/egqk3x

http://prntscr.com/egqklg

And this are just a few examples on how things are. Ths AI tactics and playing style, makes cattenacio at is prime a kid's joke.  Are you ever going to fix this in FM17? Or for you this the new normal, and players can continue to bitching  about something that is funny for developers?