Fallen Giant Saves - Looking for a list for a save for FM17

Hello folks,

Had a look around the forum there for a list of "fallen giants" as an idea im looking into possibly for  FM17 i can think of a few from the top of my head Valencia,Stuttgart to name a very few.

Is there like a shortlist or some sort of thing similar showing teams who have fallen from grace over the years.

Apologies in advance if this has been overlooked.

Thanks

*Edit* I also have this running in conjunction with this thread,please take the time to vote guys - thanks

https://community.sigames.com/topic/378785-new-save-for-fm17/#comment-10444621

Just a list of the top of my head split into lower leagues (Fallen Giants) and then higher leagues (Sleeping Giants).

Fallen Giants:

Nottingham Forest

Leeds United

Coventry City

Portsmouth

Newcastle United

Parma

Sleeping Giants:

AC Milan

Inter Milan

Hamburger

Valencia

Feyenoord

Hertha Berlin

10 minutes ago, forameuss said:

The Old Rangers fell pretty far from grace, maybe you could try and emulate their spirit with the new club

Thanks Foumeuss,

Nah bored with the Rangers stuff done that in the last 2 editions of FM looking for something a little diffrent to be honest.

8 minutes ago, clarkehwbu said:

Just a list of the top of my head split into lower leagues (Fallen Giants) and then higher leagues (Sleeping Giants).

Fallen Giants:

Nottingham Forest

Leeds United

Coventry City

Portsmouth

Newcastle United

Parma

Sleeping Giants:

AC Milan

Inter Milan

Hamburger

Valencia

Feyenoord

Hertha Berlin

Parma,Valencia,Hertha Berlin all seem a decent shout...

5 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

I think you may need to define what"fallen giant" means to you, fella. Top-flight and cash-rich Valencia wouldn't fit my criteria, tbh. 

Have you checked the La Liga table lately they are going downhill fast!!!

Werder Bremen, 4 times winners & 7 times runners up of German Top League

Deportivo La Coruna, only team to win La Liga since 83/84, other than the big teams (Barca, Real, Atletico and Valencia) Something of a YoYo club now

Bordeaux/Marseille previous French Giants, be nice to knock PSG off the constant top spot

Blackburn Rovers, previous Premier League winner, struggling to return to top flight England.

Sporting CP, constantly up there with Benfica and Porto but not won the league since 01/02, due to Benfica and Porto dominance.

Boavista, the only team to win the Portuguese Top League other than Porto, Benfica and Sporting and Belenenses (once in 45/46) and pretty recently (00/01)

It all depends a bit of what you define as a fallen "giant" by the way.

But a team that is currently in the third tier of Germany, MSV Duisburg. They never won much, but they have played 28 seasons in Bundesliga (Hamburger SV has 54 season) and they now find themselves in 3.Bundesliga. They could be worth a shot??

I'll start a Leeds United save as i usually do but i played with Parma all the time during Champ Manager 97/98 & 98/99.. Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Crespo, Dino Baggio, Ariel Ortega, Diego Fuser, Marco Di Vaio, Chiesa, Veron, Asprilla. Would be very interested with starting a Parma save and getting them back to the Seria A

What a team they had!!

7 minutes ago, Thermaltake said:

I'll start a Leeds United save as i usually do but i played with Parma all the time during Champ Manager 97/98 & 98/99.. Buffon, Thuram, Cannavaro, Crespo, Dino Baggio, Ariel Ortega, Diego Fuser, Marco Di Vaio, Chiesa, Veron, Asprilla. Would be very interested with starting a Parma save and getting them back to the Seria A

What a team they had!!

Yeh Parma has actually been in the back of my mind actually to be honest too.

Sunderland is a huge one.

You only have to go back to the 1950s, we were the Man City / Chelsea etc. of our time. We were known as the "Bank of England club" and freely spent on players.

An illegal payments scandal did for us, the club was relegated for the first time in its history and we've never really recovered from that.

Going further back of course, 6 league titles says much, may have been more if WWII hadn't intervened when we had a fine side.

Now we're wrecked with debt, huge wage bill, hopeless squad - if I buy FM17 I shudder to think of what I'll see. When managed by the AI in recent versions, we always seem to get relegated fairly swiftly.

But still, you have a great stadium, good facilities, and a huge fan base there, so many of the ingredients for revival are in place.

Lokomotive Leipzig - runners up in the 1987 Cup-Winners Cup and 1974 UEFA Cup currently in the 4th tier in Germany (so you will have to holiday a season). I will probably start with them as part of one of the challenges.

Ipswich - twice UEFA Cup winners and now midtable in the Championship

Magdeburg - 1974 Cup Winners Cup winners, 3 times winners of the East German League and 7 of the East German Cup, now in the 3rd Liga in Germany.

Gornik Zabrze - 11 times winner of the Polish League and runners up in the 1970 Cup Winners Cup now in the 2nd tier in Poland

24 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Lokomotive Leipzig - runners up in the 1987 Cup-Winners Cup and 1974 UEFA Cup currently in the 4th tier in Germany (so you will have to holiday a season). I will probably start with them as part of one of the challenges.

Magdeburg - 1974 Cup Winners Cup winners, 3 times winners of the East German League and 7 of the East German Cup, now in the 3rd Liga in Germany.

Gornik Zabrze - 11 times winner of the Polish League and runners up in the 1970 Cup Winners Cup now in the 2nd tier in Poland

Some interesting choices in there Crispypaul - Thanks!!!

LASK Linz - Austria. 3rd biggest city but went bankrupt a few years back and now in the 2nd tier. First team outside of Vienna to win a title and beat Inter Milan in a European tie in the 80s. Also have a massive stadium.

Servette - Switzerland. Used to be big, went bankrupt and now struggling in the 2nd(?) tier.

25 minutes ago, setzel said:

Zurich , winner of Swiss Cup playing in Europa League but they are in 2nd tier :)

As a fan of FC Luzern, I find their relegation hilarious! In my opinion, They wouldn't count as fallen giants as they're running away with the league and will be back up again this year

1 hour ago, steff91 said:

Some interesting choices in there Crispypaul - Thanks!!!

Carl-Zeiss Jena also play in the 4th German tier, and were Cup Winners Cup runners-up in 1981.

Stade de Reims - European Cup finalists twice in the 1950s plus 4 league titles in the same decade, now in the 2nd tier.  Have played in the 3rd tier as recently as 2004

3 hours ago, mark1985 said:

How about Dynamo Dresden? Won a LOT (9 titles and 7 cups if I remember correctly) in East Germany (mainly due to 'sponsorship' by the secret police) and have just got promotion to the 2nd tier. Good youth system too

A former GDR club would be my choice, Hansa Rostock being another option.

5 hours ago, Crispypaul said:

Just once, but we boast a league title as well. And an FA cup. Not the most obvious fallen 'giant' but probably just as reasonable as some of the other clubs mentioned.

2 hours ago, Barside said:

Were they a giant or a small club punching above their weight? Same could apply to Nottingham Forest, Blackburn & Derby.

Oh definitely the second option, which is why I didn't feel it was worth mentioning myself, but people seem to be stretching the definition far enough.

I suppose it depends on what you class as a 'giant' and, subsequently, what you consider as 'fallen'.

I could argue that IFK Goteborg (FC Gothenburg) fall into that category.

Perhaps more so in European terms as they are still a top flight team in Sweden but only one league title in 20 years, and that was 9 seasons ago, after they dominated in the 80s and 90s (title winners:  1982, 1984, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996) and won the old UEFA Cup in '82 and '87, as well as semi final appearances in the European Cup/CL in '86 and '93, and QF in '85, '89 and '95.

Skeid should be a Norwegian option 8th times cup-winners  (1974 last time and last final apperance, runner up, three times. Norwegian league winners in 1 time (1966), runners-up 5 times (last time 1967). Now playing in the third level and not going up this year.

If someone make an Norwegian extension, Lyn would also be a good option league champion twice (last time 1968, double champions), runners-up four times (last time 1971), the came third in 2002 and 2005. Cup Winners 8th times (last time in 1968, double champions), Runners up 6 times (last time in 2004). Lyn is now in the 4rth tier and due to changes in the league system they will play there next year too. Before Rosenborg started competing well in Europe during the late nineties Lyn was the Norwegian club with the best European performance, reaching the quarters in the Cupwinners cup, narrowly losing 5-4 on aggregate to Barcelona. The lost 3-2 in the first leg, and being 2-0 up 15 minutes from time in the second. Both games were played  in SPain due to Norwegian winter weather.

If you'd like, there's a lot of Brazilian teams that used to be relatively important but were relegated. São Caetano, for instance, it's a twice-runner up of the Série A championship and once a runner-up of Copa Libertadores but it's on Série D right now.

Newcastle haven't won a domestic trophy for over 60 years.  They have fallen so far they are now just a business based loosely around football.  IRL they are almost impossible to manage but in FM they gave me my most enjoyable save.

Enjoy

11 hours ago, Number seven said:

If someone make an Norwegian extension, Lyn would also be a good option league champion twice (last time 1968, double champions), runners-up four times (last time 1971), the came third in 2002 and 2005. Cup Winners 8th times (last time in 1968, double champions), Runners up 6 times (last time in 2004). Lyn is now in the 4rth tier and due to changes in the league system they will play there next year too. Before Rosenborg started competing well in Europe during the late nineties Lyn was the Norwegian club with the best European performance, reaching the quarters in the Cupwinners cup, narrowly losing 5-4 on aggregate to Barcelona. The lost 3-2 in the first leg, and being 2-0 up 15 minutes from time in the second. Both games were played  in SPain due to Norwegian winter weather.

You can holiday a year and they should get promoted straight back up, if their rep is high enough, as the 2nd division is an official league.

Sunderland.

Now, I know we're not a traditional fallen giant BUT we did win Division one three years out of four, admittedly they were in 1891, 1892 and 1894, and we have won Division 1 as recently as 1935. Not to forget that we did triumph in the FA cup back in 1973 too.

Ok, so I think I might be clutching at straws here but still, go with Sunderland!

On 20/09/2016 at 13:52, Deadmaninc21 said:

HSV could qualify as a sleeping giant I think. The only team to have played in every single Bundeliga season, however they have been battling relegation for several seasons in a row now.

I second that, have managed them a few times, great fun and felt like a good achievement winning stuff with them. 

Archived