Fallen Giant Saves - Looking for a list for a save for FM17

I've gone from going to wait to buy the game (due to all games released now) to I must buy on realese day!!

Mainly due to some nice features I wanted seen in teaser trailer and Parma being playable in original database.. As someone mentioned, what a team in late 90's early 00's!!

Bolton Wanderers use to have a decent team in the 50's and 60's you may wish to find the next Nat Lofthouse, they might never have won the league but came close a few times but they have won the FA Cup 4 times.

Blackpool are another team that come to mind another big team from the 50's and 60's now seriously struggling in League 2.

Sleeping giant - Hammarby. They are the best supported club in Scandinavia (average > 25k crowds), yet they only have one title to their name (2001) and no cup wins. They've been back in the top flight for two seasons now (2015, 2016) after a spell in the 2nd tier for several seasons. I'm going to start a save with them now on FM16!

15 hours ago, Tecmo said:

Berliner FC Dynamo is one I've always wanted to try. Most successful club in East Germany, now down in the 4th tier I believe. Massive city without what would be considered a top club.

One of my favourite saves was with Union Berlin. Dynamo would be interesting though. I've been to their ground and it's right next to a really historic part of the wall. The famous picture of an East German border guard jumping over barbed wire was just down the road as was the first person to be shot escaping over the wall. The area is a bit rough and ready though and we had to walk through a haze of weed and 'interesting characters' graffiting the outside of the ground

I love these ideas! Nothing better than bringing a club up through the leagues - especially if they've fallen over the years.

My first save will be in Scotland - not so much a fallen giant, but East Stirlingshire dropped out of the SPFL in the relatively new playoff system last season, the first team to leave the pro leagues in many years. I've seen them in a couple of Lowland League games this season and enjoyed it (standard has definitely improved at level 5). Also considering a save with another Lowland League club, Gretna 2008 being the phoenix club of the bankrupted Gretna rollercoaster and having returned to their Raydale Park home.

Bring on the editor...:)

To me, fallen giants are more teams that have dropped right down the leagues. Valencia or Stuttgart are not fallen giants, they are just having a rough season or two. I wouldn't even label the likes of Nottingham Forest or Leeds as a fallen giant. I prefer the term sleeping giant for teams such as that.

In England I might label the likes of Luton, Notts County, Blackpool or Portsmouth as a fallen giant, but I might even label teams playing in non league that were regulars in leagues 1 or 2 to also fall in to the category.

Stockport County would be a team I would say fit the bill. I don't think a club has to have been league champions to be considered a fallen giant. They merely have to have played high up in their country. Stockport were second tier at one time.

I guess it means something different to everyone.

4 hours ago, anagain said:

To me, fallen giants are more teams that have dropped right down the leagues. Valencia or Stuttgart are not fallen giants, they are just having a rough season or two. I wouldn't even label the likes of Nottingham Forest or Leeds as a fallen giant. I prefer the term sleeping giant for teams such as that.

In England I might label the likes of Luton, Notts County, Blackpool or Portsmouth as a fallen giant, but I might even label teams playing in non league that were regulars in leagues 1 or 2 to also fall in to the category.

Stockport County would be a team I would say fit the bill. I don't think a club has to have been league champions to be considered a fallen giant. They merely have to have played high up in their country. Stockport were second tier at one time.

I guess it means something different to everyone.

"Giant" isn't a word I'd ever put in a sentence with my club, tbh. We've won one major trophy, and that was in 1894.

On 20 September 2016 at 16:50, steff91 said:

Hello folks,

Had a look around the forum there for a list of "fallen giants" as an idea im looking into possibly for  FM17 i can think of a few from the top of my head Valencia,Stuttgart to name a very few.

Is there like a shortlist or some sort of thing similar showing teams who have fallen from grace over the years.

Apologies in advance if this has been overlooked.

Thanks

*Edit* I also have this running in conjunction with this thread,please take the time to vote guys - thanks

https://community.sigames.com/topic/378785-new-save-for-fm17/#comment-10444621

Bundesliga - HSV - Have really struggled even though still in League 1, but never have amount to too much.  Just sacked another manager on the weekend.

Flipping the question on it's head - any suggestions on up-and-coming clubs and/or feelgood stories? Both UK and abroad.

Thinking along the lines of AFC Wimbledon, Salford City, FC United and so on. Where in the pyramid are the reformed Scarborough and Darlington sides?

From a Scottish point of view, Edinburgh City would be the obvious one. First ever season in the SPFL and a daunting challenge ahead...

On 26/09/2016 at 22:17, Morrissey said:

Flipping the question on it's head - any suggestions on up-and-coming clubs and/or feelgood stories? Both UK and abroad.

Thinking along the lines of AFC Wimbledon, Salford City, FC United and so on. Where in the pyramid are the reformed Scarborough and Darlington sides?

From a Scottish point of view, Edinburgh City would be the obvious one. First ever season in the SPFL and a daunting challenge ahead...

Scarborough are in the 8th tier so won't be playable without an edit file

Darlington 1883 start in the National League North so are playable from the start

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2016 at 17:54, withnail316 said:

"Giant" isn't a word I'd ever put in a sentence with my club, tbh. We've won one major trophy, and that was in 1894.

Depends how you define giant, I suppose. Notts County are one of the better known teams in England with a long past. They've been in the top leagues before, even if it was a while ago.

It would be an interesting save to try and get them back up there. Besides, if you were defining giant as teams with lots of trophies, then you'd likely be doing one, maybe two divisions, and it'd be a greater achievement to do more than that.

I know how you feel, though. I still struggle to put the words Bournemouth and Premier League together.

If you want something completly diferent,how about Red Star Belgrade?The club used to be a european power in the 70s all the way to the end of 90s,when they won the champion's league(1991)... only to become irrelevant in europe ever since.

17 minutes ago, bofmar said:

If you want something completly diferent,how about Red Star Belgrade?The club used to be a european power in the 70s all the way to the end of 90s,when they won the champion's league(1991)... only to become irrelevant in europe ever since.

Good shout but they're still pretty dominant in Serbia aren't they?

14 minutes ago, bofmar said:

Well kinda.The serbian league is mostly dominated by Partizan nowadays(7 wins in the last 8 years), with Red Star finishing second almost every year.

Really? I didn't know that! I don't keep a close eye on the Serbian league, but I knew they were the top two. A Serbian save (or elsewhere in the former Yugoslavia) has been in the back of my mind for a while. How are the other clubs in Belgrade getting on?

The only other notable clubs (apart from Partizan)in Belgrade to my knowledge(bare in mind I am not Serbian :p ) are FK Rad and FJK Beograd.Rad has I believe the 3rd biggest fanbase in Serbia and Beograd have gotten themselves a few 3rd place finishes in theyr history. Here is a wiki link if you want to search it further https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Football_clubs_in_Belgrade

So there's FK Obilic who were owner by Arkan and then passed to his wife, FK Rad whose Ultras look like an 'interesting' bunch and Hadjuk who are nicknamed 'Pigeons.' Serbian football looks, erm, interesting to say the least!

With a fluid use of the term 'giant', my suggestions would be:

Pro Vercelli - very successful in the first quarter of 20th century Italian football, eventually sliding down the league strata as teams from larger urban centres took hold. Currently scraping along in Serie B and have not played in Serie A since 1934-35.

Strasbourg - not hugely successful in terms of overall titles, but a well-regarded club from a region with little competition, who were frequently part of Ligue 1. Liquidated in 2011 due to financial irregularities, eventually reinstated to the 5th division, and have only this year earned promotion from the National to Ligue II.

FC Magdeburg - successful East German side who only spent one season outside of the Oberliga, winning it three times and numerous Cups - including the Cup Winners' Cup. Magdeburg have only recently returned to professional football and are in the 3rd division.

Dynamo Dresden - similar to Magdeburg, successful East German side who fell on hard times. Promoted to the 2nd division this year.

For a different approach, you could try to restore a great name to overall European glory; here I am thinking of a Honved or Dukla Prague (now FK Dukla Prague), where home league success will likely not be difficult, but trying to compete with the European giants will be a strong challenge.

Preston North End - or what about Preston?  Founding member of the football league, successful in the 19th century, but less so in the century since. A giant of English football in name, and proud holders of the only Unbeaten league season (albeit in a shortened format) until Wenger's Invincibles.

Wanderers - one of the dominant clubs of early English football, winning the FA Cup five times in the 1870s.They were dissolved in the late 19th century and I only researched this on sheer chance. Seemingly the club was reformed in 2009, with the support of the descendants of the original club, and plays in the Surrey South Eastern Combination. I am taking this on faith, but it is apparently the 12th tier of English football. With the amount of edited league structures available, that could be an interesting long-term save for you.

France - FC Sete - French powerhouse before the war with two titles and runner up (now C lig)

Italy - Pro Vercelli - 7 times Serie A winner now second league

Turkey - Altay Izmir - before the leagues one of the strongest teams in Turkey (pre-1958) now 3rd league

Greece - Aris Salonika - 3 times winner 3 times runner up now  Greek National C

• 2 weeks later...

I started my first save as Parma. They're in Serie C this season.

It's a nostalgia save for me.

My first experience was CM Italia back in 1995 if I don't remember it wrong. I was 7 years old back then. My cousin was managing Parma who were really popular in those times, and I was a Juventus. I remember ruining his save with my horrible performance with Juventus :lol:

Archived