• South American Save
    • Scandinavian Save
    • Premier League Save
    • Top European Save
    • Lower League Mangement (UK)
    • Asian Save
    • Eastern European
    • MLS/Canadian
    • Other (please insert in comments area)

Looking for some ideas for a new save for when FM17 comes along.I'll be leaving this poll on the forum right up until release date and then get started.Im hoping that the FM communit can help me choose,and i will be quite interested in the responses and choices that you guys provide.

Thanks for participating.

One of my best saves I've had this year has been starting unemployed and waiting for a Championship team to struggle and sack their manager. In my case it was Derby

Turned out to be a lot of fun, rescuing them and taking them back up before eventually establishing them as a Premier League side and winning the league.

17 hours ago, gunner86 said:

One of my best saves I've had this year has been starting unemployed and waiting for a Championship team to struggle and sack their manager. In my case it was Derby

Turned out to be a lot of fun, rescuing them and taking them back up before eventually establishing them as a Premier League side and winning the league.

Shame on you waiting on a manager getting the sack :D:D  -Thanks for voting ;)

This morning while reading reports on the World Cup opening matches I have been inspired for a new type of FM17 career. 

My idea is to pick a very promising teenager in their sides U19 National team and manage his Club, moving Clubs with him everytime he gets transfered.

An adopt a son share!

The logic being you manage your 'potential star player' for a couple of seasons and after transfering him wait until a suitable moment to take over the new club when/if they change their Manager as you have an established bond with their young talent.

• 2 weeks later...

When FM17 comes out, I will probably do my usual and start in the Scottish Lower leagues and work my way up. The mighty Pars are in the championship now so I may not go them as they are too high for my liking.

I have just started a save with Portsmouth, depending how much I like that, I may start there in FM17 too!

I'll probably start unemployed with a random European nationality, and play from there. Normally involves a lot of managing around the lower leagues of random European nations, mainly Eastern, then getting a big break in one of the top European leagues. 

I have tried South America in past versions, but the fixture congestion killed my enjoyment. 

I would go for a middling European League like Austria/Switzerland/Czech Republic/Hungary etc. Would take a while to build a team up but not as long as a Gibralter/Andorra etc. Plus better regens and some historical teams with good support bases. Had 2 great saves with FC Luzern and Austria Vienna. Cracking Europe would be a big, but do able challenge

I have two plans. 

1. Create a club - Will start with a new Team in Mexico. I will add a couple of inexpensive but promising youngsters in to the mix. Then I will try and see what other players from around the world I can get in to the Mexican national squad. They only take 2 years to gain nationality I believe. I'm doing something similar in the MLS at the moment and a few of Boca Juniors promising youngsters are about to become eligible for the US National Team. 

2. International Journeyman - While bored at work I decided to see which teams have never qualified for the African Cup of Nations, Asian Cup etc. I plan to manage as many as possible to make them qualify for their respective continental competition and the world cup. I will try and achieve this with as many as possible. 

I'd recommend an Eastern European save. You find out about different, good players you might not otherwise come across, have access to the Champions League & the challenge is to make progress in that - and it is a chalenge given the resource, club status and league reputation constraints.

Had one of my best saves ever with Dinamo Zagreb, a club who have suffered "the curse of Zagreb" - never reaching January in a European competition.

Until of course yours truly came along #footballmanagerisreallife ;)

15 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

I'd recommend an Eastern European save. You find out about different, good players you might not otherwise come across, have access to the Champions League & the challenge is to make progress in that - and it is a chalenge given the resource, club status and league reputation constraints.

Had one of my best saves ever with Dinamo Zagreb, a club who have suffered "the curse of Zagreb" - never reaching January in a European competition.

Until of course yours truly came along #footballmanagerisreallife ;)

What selection of nations would you consider selecting for a save like this though,always fancied a eastern euro save at times!!!

9 hours ago, Wasp said:

A MLS save might be fun for a few seasons, if you haven't managed there yet.

Nah tried that a fair while back in FM14 i think it was,the whole contract side of things is nothing short of a nightmare personally.

My beta save is primarily going to be Boca Juniors, the Argentina league looks like an interesting system. Not to mention the plethora of talent that hides there.

Londrina in the Brazilian lower leagues will take up some time... both should keep me going for a while. 

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 08:22, steff91 said:

What selection of nations would you consider selecting for a save like this though,always fancied a eastern euro save at times!!!

Jumping in on Lord Rowell's suggestion.

I've had some fantastic Eastern European saves over the years, including a particularly memorable one with Shakhtar Donetsk a decade ago, and then some lesser-known clubs such as Vorskla (also Ukraine). Personally, I'd ensure you start with a healthy database of players, including loading the major European nations, to ensure the European competitions are healthy. And then, regionally, I'd certainly load up Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Serbia, Croatia and a few others, to provide a more immersive feel, increase competition and give you access to regional talent.

Another option would be to download an edited 'Soviet' database, where all the clubs from the former USSR are thrown into a modified tiered set of leagues. From that you could choose to take on a regional club - such as Dynamo Tbilisi or Ararat Yerevan - and take the battle to the traditional powerhouse clubs; Spartak Moscow, Dynamo Kiev et al. You could then add a bit of extra flavour and perhaps set a rule where you can only buy players from the former-USSR nations.

That said, I voted for the South American option. It is a save I've wanted to try for a while myself, in Argentina.

Easy, do the 'hero challenge'.

Load all leagues from: Brazil, England, Scotland, France, Italy and Spain.

Start Sunday League, in Scotland's lowest league. You are only allowed to leave/quit once you have promoted or WON the top division in the nation. Bonus points if you stay until you win the Champions League.

Upon winning with a Scottish team, you must resign and apply for a job in North/South English leagues. From there, you repeat until you win the Premier League.

Once that is done, quit and move to France.

Once that is done, quit and move to Italy.

Once that is done you move to Spain.

Finally, once dominating Spain, leave Europe to go to Brazil and mop up your dominance there.

Why that order? Reputation really. Scotland and England have the lowest rep leagues (Scottish L2 and English north/south) and France follows shortly after with their Amateur and National leagues. Italy and Spain are tied afterwards, but Spain has the better top league so do that last. Brazil's lowest league is actually quite good, on par with most European League 2's, so Brazil is where you would end up needing the most reputation to do anything useful in theory.

If you do this, you should win each and every 'hero' achievement. The 5, 10 and 20 years trophy for staying at one club (or at the very least the 5+ years one), the top league winners, promotion, top domestic cup (at some point!), manager of the month and year achievements, and the rarely gained 30 seasons played achievement *and* you'll win the 'win top leagues in five different nations' award too. 

Reason why I suggest it? No one does it. Also, I had a look at the achievement stats for a laugh with a friend and was looking back over times. It seems from 2010-2015 people tend to play one season saves, or at a stretch a five season one club save. Very rarely does anyone pick up 10/20/30 year achievements, which suggests not many people stick with the game for very long. The hero trophies are among the rarest ever achieved, only beaten by the FM Touch achievements, which was fascinating to see.

If you have the fortitude and stamina to stick this type of game out, hats off to you, because you'll be suffering through a minimum of 23 seasons, assuming you're awesome and you promote every season like a boss! And you'll be suffering from the whole 'get the backroom running' phase of the game 6 times. In theory you could be cheeky and get jobs at fallen giants, but if you want to play hard mode, play this hero challenge while following the dafuge rules (i.e. you must take over a team that has just been promoted into that league that season.) Hoo boy.

17 hours ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Easy, do the 'hero challenge'.

Load all leagues from: Brazil, England, Scotland, France, Italy and Spain.

Start Sunday League, in Scotland's lowest league. You are only allowed to leave/quit once you have promoted or WON the top division in the nation. Bonus points if you stay until you win the Champions League.

Upon winning with a Scottish team, you must resign and apply for a job in North/South English leagues. From there, you repeat until you win the Premier League.

Once that is done, quit and move to France.

Once that is done, quit and move to Italy.

Once that is done you move to Spain.

Finally, once dominating Spain, leave Europe to go to Brazil and mop up your dominance there.

Why that order? Reputation really. Scotland and England have the lowest rep leagues (Scottish L2 and English north/south) and France follows shortly after with their Amateur and National leagues. Italy and Spain are tied afterwards, but Spain has the better top league so do that last. Brazil's lowest league is actually quite good, on par with most European League 2's, so Brazil is where you would end up needing the most reputation to do anything useful in theory.

If you do this, you should win each and every 'hero' achievement. The 5, 10 and 20 years trophy for staying at one club (or at the very least the 5+ years one), the top league winners, promotion, top domestic cup (at some point!), manager of the month and year achievements, and the rarely gained 30 seasons played achievement *and* you'll win the 'win top leagues in five different nations' award too. 

Reason why I suggest it? No one does it. Also, I had a look at the achievement stats for a laugh with a friend and was looking back over times. It seems from 2010-2015 people tend to play one season saves, or at a stretch a five season one club save. Very rarely does anyone pick up 10/20/30 year achievements, which suggests not many people stick with the game for very long. The hero trophies are among the rarest ever achieved, only beaten by the FM Touch achievements, which was fascinating to see.

If you have the fortitude and stamina to stick this type of game out, hats off to you, because you'll be suffering through a minimum of 23 seasons, assuming you're awesome and you promote every season like a boss! And you'll be suffering from the whole 'get the backroom running' phase of the game 6 times. In theory you could be cheeky and get jobs at fallen giants, but if you want to play hard mode, play this hero challenge while following the dafuge rules (i.e. you must take over a team that has just been promoted into that league that season.) Hoo boy.

That sounds mental - defo be keeping that in mind good shout there!!! ;)

Start as low as you can with the lowest of the low and work your way up... preferably with ex-league team like Gainsborough Trinity.

Even better, asap download a mod that starts you even lower  for example try and bring back the glory days of Glossop North End

Spain "Liga Adelante" it's a good option,try "Real Oviedo,Zaragoza,Tenerife" or "Racing Santander" on Segunda División B.

If your option is Eastern European try "Steaua Bucaresti in Romania" ; "Ludogorets in Bulgaria" ; "Sparta Prague or Plzen in Czech Republic" or even "Dinamo Zagreb,Hajduk Split or Rijeka or Osijek in Croatia.....

Trying to decide between:

- Truro City as I'm from the South West and I like the idea of being the first manager to get a Cornish team into the Football League.

- Salford City as I like the idea of fulfilling the dream of the team of "The Class of '92" and take them to the big time :)

I assume Salford will have quite a bit of money so Truro will be the biggest challenge. I don;t know whether that helps you, but two potentially fun challenges IMO.

So far its looking like its gouing to be a "English lower league save" so in that case i will be using Dan's L23 database to choose a team couple of teams that have popped into my head are Stamford(where i usually go on holiday each year),Scarborough Athletic,Faversham,Staines,Wokingham

Anybody managed any of these teams before?

21 minutes ago, Aleynasdad said:

Staines I did with 15... low league databases are goo but what you can do is create your own low league team. I started with Kemptown Rangers at L10 and took them to the premiership in 15 seasons...... literally built them from scratch.

Never really been a fan of the whole "create your own" thing,prefer to keep it as realistic as possible...

1 hour ago, steff91 said:

Never really been a fan of the whole "create your own" thing,prefer to keep it as realistic as possible...

To be totally fair, at a low enough league level "create your own" is totally realistic. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:49, steff91 said:

Looking for some ideas for a new save for when FM17 comes along.I'll be leaving this poll on the forum right up until release date and then get started.Im hoping that the FM communit can help me choose,and i will be quite interested in the responses and choices that you guys provide.

Thanks for participating.

always played with LL clubs uk but what about irish  LL clubs  just a though

22 hours ago, josephwork said:

always played with LL clubs uk but what about irish  LL clubs  just a though

I've been pondering a Home Farm save.  What I might do is start as an English LLM, and when I can get my board to make a link with Home Farm, I'll have my "brother" installed as manager there, and do a 2-manager save.  I want to do a club & country save in a country with a decent national team, but a weak league system.  I was going to do Iceland, but Ireland might also be fun.

3 hours ago, Fox said:

I have taken bath city too the champions league final once, that took ages and was great fun. When is the beta going to be released.

I think its around the 21st of October because didn't they say the beta was going to be released 2 weeks before the full release on November 4th?

I'm probably going to dip into the Editor and put Evian TG into the National, I'll see how it goes from there. 

Other ideas are my standard French L1 save or maybe doing something with Dinamo Moscow after they got relegated. 

Barring a miracle in the voting situation i dont think now that Uk Lower league will be overtaken,Im solidly thinking as Stamford who play in the evo stick league i think it is ( correct me if im wrong ) i go there on holiday to visit relatives,they have a tidy yet small stadium,lovely little place..

They won't be playable from the start as the official database only goes down to Conference North/South so you'll have to wait till one of the edited databases are posted to take it down that low. If you want to jump in straight away as low as you can how about  Conference North? You have former league clubs in there like Halifax, Darlington and Stockport to try to restore to former glories or the young upstarts like FC Utd of Manchester with massive crowds looking to meet the Old Trafford boys one day in league competition?

Archived