England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question is will Carrick be fit and healthy come the next big tournament? He's old even for a central midfielder. What's sad is he's still only in and around the team when in the 9 years he's been at united his form has demanded his inclusion for 6 of them. Not only because he's a very talented player but because he's the only type of his kind in the country and because it's what we miss horribly.

Would be typical of England just to realise it as he goes into terminal decline.

Wilshere is obviously the first choice and between him and Carrick they should be able to manage for now. We just need to look for the Carrick replacement because Wilshire will spend most of his time in the treatment room

Was at the game last night and thought the team played very well, chuffed for Kane to get a goal so early into his debut.

Also thought Delph actually had a decent game despite my dad throughout moaning about how he (as well as Phil Jones) don't deserve to be near the team.

Was at the game last night and thought the team played very well, chuffed for Kane to get a goal so early into his debut.

Also thought Delph actually had a decent game despite my dad throughout moaning about how he (as well as Phil Jones) don't deserve to be near the team.

Delph is the kinda of guy who can keep up if we increased the quality in our midfield. He would not be the one increasing it though.

Wilshere is obviously the first choice and between him and Carrick they should be able to manage for now. We just need to look for the Carrick replacement because Wilshire will spend most of his time in the treatment room

Wilshere shouldn't be first choice it should be Carrick. Wilshere should probably take Delph's place as it will make better use of his best quality (dribbling). As a holding midfield player he leaves a fair bit to be desired.

Delph is the kinda of guy who can keep up if we increased the quality in our midfield. He would not be the one increasing it though.

Yeah the problem with Delph wasn't like Henderson that he isn't particularly comfortable in tight spaces it was more he doesn't really know how to be effective within them and that is why he wasn't as effective as he might have been. The issue is slightly moot though as when it matters we are unlikely to be playing in such tight spaces and are more likely to be countering.

Wilshere shouldn't be first choice it should be Carrick. Wilshere should probably take Delph's place as it will make better use of his best quality (dribbling). As a holding midfield player he leaves a fair bit to be desired.

I think he needs to learn how to dribble properly before you call it his best quality.

Yeah they were trying to walk it in most of the time, Welbeck especially (perhaps he's been learning since his transfer?), but Lithuania were basically letting them so was a good exercise in creating attacks.

He can't dribble properly, hence why he keeps getting ankle injuries - the ball is often too far infront of him and he has to go into challenges to try and keep it.

Yeah that isn't even close to accurate. Wilshere gets the ankle injuries not because of the challenges he has to make but because 1) he gets kicked a lot because of the way he plays 2) he is very one footed so his left foot is an easy target 3) he makes terrible decisions as to when to dribble and when to release the ball which again makes him an easier target. In fact I don't think any of his ankle injuries have come from the way you have suggested. What makes Wilshere such a great talent is that dribbling how he can beat the press and glide through midfield.

The reasons why he isn't a great player are multifarious and not really relevant but the fundamental one is decision making.

Merely telling me it's not accurate, (it is, pay more attention in future to how far the ball is away from him at times), isn't going to make me miraculously see that he dribbles properly. He doesn't, (I'll make a concession and say atleast not for the area of the field he plays in), and I've seen him countless times get hurt having to launch into tackles in an attempt to keep the ball.

If dribbling really is his best attribute, then it says an awful lot about the rest of his game.

Yeah it isn't accurate. Find me an instance where that has caused him an injury? This idea he doesn't dribble properly doesn't add up. If we accept dribbling is the ability to carry the ball and beat people he does that very well particularly for a CM. What you're highlighting is that it has caused him injuries which is true but that isn't a result of his dribbling that is a result of him making poor decisions. His last two injuries are good examples of this 1) Agger tackle where Wilshere dives in to win the ball after Agger's bad touch 2) McNair where Wilshere carries the ball and releases the pass too late. Correction having seen that one again it was a too long touch but that is one injury which in turn doesn't get away from the overall point which is Wilshere is good at dribbling bad at decision making.

Before his long spell out Wilshere didn't really suffer from as many impact injuries nor was he kicked as much because his decision making was that bit quicker which allowed him to play his high risk game and not get hurt as much. Now he frequently runs with it going nowhere and into crowds this isn't his dribbling though this is him making bad decisions

Yeah, sorry, once again merely saying "it isn't accurate" and then giving a load of whaffle about decision making, (how about the decision not to learn how to dribble with the ball closer to him), isn't going to change my considered opinion.

Yeah, sorry, once again merely saying "it isn't accurate" and then giving a load of whaffle about decision making, (how about the decision not to learn how to dribble with the ball closer to him), isn't going to change my considered opinion.

I see you still remain completely incapable of formulating an argument. You just deride whatever is said without really dealing with it as if that really provides anything.

Would 15/16 goals next season count as ''just as good'' or will there be people who expect Kane to score 25 year upon year?

For me if he gets 16-18 goals next year in the league then yes you can say he is good but not world class, to be world class and real madrid or barcelona wanting to buy you as a striker you need alot of goals each year.

I see you still remain completely incapable of formulating an argument. You just deride whatever is said without really dealing with it as if that really provides anything.

I formulated an argument straight away - he dribbles with the ball too far away from his body for dribbling to be considered his best attribute.

Made that argument straight away, and also said you wouldn't change my considerd opinion, thanks. :)

yeah worst EPL ever, players that have done it in the LA Liga have struggled this season

Di Maria has shown how poor it is compared to Spain, Falcao has proven how poor and easy it is to score

Ozil was a magician in LA liga, he's been very good, the list goes on

i guarantee it will be hard for Kane to score in England than it would be against Sociedad and Elche in Spain

Very well made argument, good stuff.

tomtuck01 is half-right about Wilshere's dribbling style being an issue. It's absolutely undeniable that it's a major cause of his injury problems, watch any game he's involved in and you'll see him on the deck a number of times having been chopped by a player who has thought the ball was close enough to win. However I don't think it's necessarily an 'error' as such - he puts the ball far ahead of him which invites tackles, but this allows him to skip past challenges a lot of the time, and wins free kicks a lot of the time. The ability to take people on in central areas is an important and relatively rare skill - a lot of Eriksen's free kicks this season have come from Mason driving through the middle in a similar way to Wilshere.

At this point it would probably be worth Wilshere adapting his game to avoid those kind of runs because he's swiftly becoming a liability to Arsenal, yet another big earner who's only available half the season. But it's not simply a case of him being fundamentally bad at dribbling, it is a strength as well as a weakness.

For me if he gets 16-18 goals next year in the league then yes you can say he is good but not world class, to be world class and real madrid or barcelona wanting to buy you as a striker you need alot of goals each year.

Suarez scored 31, 23 and 11 respectively.

Welbeck, Baines, Milner are out. Bertrand called up. Sterling going back to Liverpool for injection in foot

From initial squad annoucement to now how many pull outs does this make it?

I wonder if any other nation in Europe had this amount of pull outs

England 5 wins out 5, 15 scored 1 conceded.

That makes very good reading :)

True and you can 'only beat what's in front of you' and all that but think Slovenia away will be key in June (?) with everyone pulling out the squad

We need a summer break and to get rid of the league cup. Maybe even take the number of teams in the league down to 18. Until then it doesn't matter what squad we choose when it comes to a summer tournament.

We have a summer break, it's called summer! I assume you mean winter break and if it means an actual break then great but if it means the big clubs jetting around the world to play prestigious friendlies for lots of money then no

Why are we getting rid of the League Cup? Cause it aids the top 6 clubs? How does this help the English national team? How about not having tours after the season ends now as well as before the new season in far flunf corners of the globe. Have some rest then if they really care about players, which they don't. It's about money

18 team league would be ok but no way half the Premier League is voting that one in as half of them are under threat for relegation at some point in the next 5 years to at least be in a dogfight .. no way they fancy removing the weakest 3

We have a summer break, it's called summer! I assume you mean winter break and if it means an actual break then great but if it means the big clubs jetting around the world to play prestigious friendlies for lots of money then no

Why are we getting rid of the League Cup? Cause it aids the top 6 clubs? How does this help the English national team? How about not having tours after the season ends now as well as before the new season in far flunf corners of the globe. Have some rest then if they really care about players, which they don't. It's about money

18 team league would be ok but no way half the Premier League is voting that one in as half of them are under threat for relegation at some point in the next 5 years to at least be in a dogfight .. no way they fancy removing the weakest 3

18 teams isn't alright

why is it the elite clubs have this superior complex problem?

20 teams is fine, it went from 22 to 20, now the superior clubs want it to go to 18?

i guarantee if these certain clubs were in trouble near the bottom it wouldn't even be suggested, it's a ridiculous notion

the real problem isn't games it's quality of players, and unfortunately for England it will be a long time until we get an early 90's England team again

Spanish teams play 38 games, play a 2 leg Copa Del Ray i believe? are going further in Europe, they don't complain because they have the player quality

the league cup could be the way to go? but i wouldn't scrap it, how about clubs in europe are exempt from it? leaving the prem teams that aren't and the rest of the FL?

the real problem isn't games it's quality of players, and unfortunately for England it will be a long time until we get an early 90's England team again

I agree, there's probably a few trains of thought as to why that's the case though. Some would say that English players are just inherently crap, some would suggest that the coching they receive is inferior and others would argue that during the critical development ages of 18-21 they aren't exposed to top level football like kids in other countries are. I think one is nonsense, two was true to some extent but is certainly improving but three is always going to be a problem while there's so much money at stake. I don't think giving the players a few weeks off six months prior to a tournament is going to achieve a great deal.

18 teams isn't alright

why is it the elite clubs have this superior complex problem?

20 teams is fine, it went from 22 to 20, now the superior clubs want it to go to 18?

i guarantee if these certain clubs were in trouble near the bottom it wouldn't even be suggested, it's a ridiculous notion

I, personally, don't mind 18 clubs but now way the Premier League would vote that through considering half of them may end up relegated at some point

You're right though, these things are muted to make things easier for the big clubs and they do is moan about internationals and things like that. What are making the schedule easier for ... tours and more money making is what

i like how captainplanets idea seems to be "copy germany"

We have been long guilty in England of looking and seeing what everyone else is doing and wanting to copy it. French ... time we put things into practice everyone has moved on, including the country we were copying ... then it's Spain and now Germany

We need to come up with a coherent plan and stick to it and work towards it but no one in the FA seems capable of having an idea despite a lot of chattering about the 'right things to do'

Nice U21 win, 3-2 against Germany on the back of the Czech victory the other day

This is the thing, at youth level we're pretty on tier 1 and equals with the very best, it's when the premiership gets its grubby hands on them the gaps appear.

Great result for them, really hope we put out a strong side in the summer because we do stand a chance in winning the thing.

When the Premier League gets their grubby hands on them or when the gaps in physical ability narrows?

Definitely when the Premier League gets their hands on them. When average coaches fail to bring on their game or top sides don't give them the game time. More of our youngsters need to go abroad.

Why would they go abroad when they are playing in one of Europes top leagues?

The answer isn't sending players away it's giving them more opportunities in the English league. We have enough medicore overseas players playing in England, no one is chucking Eden Hazard out the league

I, personally, don't mind 18 clubs but now way the Premier League would vote that through considering half of them may end up relegated at some point

Would get voted through if there's a new league below the Premiership consisting of 18 teams, and the prize/TV money was more then what the FL can offer.

Definitely when the Premier League gets their hands on them. When average coaches fail to bring on their game or top sides don't give them the game time. More of our youngsters need to go abroad.

The issue is mostly game time tbh. I don't think we have substantially worse coaches than most other leagues.

Where's that money gonna come from? Sky paying millions and millions for what is effectively the 'Championship'? Just calling it another Premier League doesn't immediately make it interesting or worthy of millions of quid in prize money

It wouldn't be fooling anyone, it'll still be Division 2 no matter what they call it. The big money is in the Prem and no one wants to jeapodise their spot. The only time this secondary Premier League was mentioned was in relation to their being no relegation or something (Garside from Bolton IIRC)

This 2nd Premier League would have a majority of teams from the Championship. A Championship that no one is paying millions and millions for atm

You'd have a small percentage of the Premiership TV money go towards it, say 10% at most. That's around £500m+ there isn't it? Due to it being under the Premiership brand. By having 18 sides it narrows out possibly the poorer sides from the Championship, with the potential of more bigger current Premiership sides dropping down there over the years. You then have sell it off in a TV deal where rival companies will see it as a chance to get in on the Premiership brand even if it's not the top division. Pretty sure that would already be more prize money then what the Championship has to offer, meaning clubs that come down from the Premiership won't lose as much money making it downsize to 18 sides more acceptable.

All hypothetical of course, but if the Premiership wanted to narrow it down to 18, that'd could be one way to get the majority vote needed from clubs.

Archived