Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

What is happening to this game? Since the update my team and its performances/results/injuries/bookings are now unrecognisable.

I don't understand why my players are now unfamiliar with certain aspects of my tactics, specifically- closing down? Is this patch related?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why my players are now unfamiliar with certain aspects of my tactics, specifically- closing down? Is this patch related?

It was explained on page 1 and 2. There's an initial drop, but it will work normally after that.

Are you asking the keeper to distribute to a specific defender? Because that is bugged. Best to set "Distribute to defenders" rather than a specific player.

Nah, I mean left on default. Really poor distribution, almost always to opposition players (kicking). Don't see many from my and the AI's keepers clearing the midfielders. I'll do more testing though.

You think putting keeper on "Distribute to defenders" should help?

Side note regarding Goalkeepers - 1 year deal issue.

As mentioned before I'm in January so can approach a lot of players. I did some testing as people mentioned all keepers would only accept 1 year deals. That's not the case in my save.

Here's what's going on. When you first approach a goalkeeper, if the role he demands initially is rotation or backup then he almost always has an initial demand of a contract length of 1 year.

If the role demanded is first team or key player the length of contract wanted is as normal, and varied. Had Mannone ask for a 4 year deal, with first team role. Then other keepers as backup asking for 1 year. Newgen youngster as backup asked for 3 year.

These are all negotiable, but I see the sense in it if it was intentional. Firstly a keeper who knows he's going to be backup/rotation won't want to sign a long deal. He might not get any games over a 3 year deal for instance. So the 1 year deal gives him the freedom to move. A goalkeeper who asks for first team/key player knows he's going to be first choice so is willing to commit.

What I need to test is how easy they'll accept 2 years as backup. And if they easily accept 2-5 years if the role is changed to first team/key player. Interested if others experience this/ can test it. Best time to test is on pre-contract or expired goalkeepers so you can get straight to contract negotiations.

Nah, I mean left on default. Really poor distribution, almost always to opposition players (kicking). Don't see many from my and the AI's keepers clearing the midfielders. I'll do more testing though.

You think putting keeper on "Distribute to defenders" should help?

I didn't think you meant default. It might help, but only if you want him to distribute to defenders :D

Hey. Began a new career as unemployed. Contributor 30 countries a year has passed but the robot nobody took me. Used to take a lot of teams with two divisions of countries like serbia croatia norway switzerland Wait nobody takes even threw interview.

Hey. Began a new career as unemployed. Contributor 30 countries a year has passed but the robot nobody took me. Used to take a lot of teams with two divisions of countries like serbia croatia norway switzerland Wait nobody takes even threw interview.

I'm having the same problem, but after I managed a team for two seasons and over-achieved with them! Now I can't even get interviews with anyone.

I don't get what's going on with this patch. Offensive play is good but defence... My players started to play very risky and I keep loosing goals after ridiculous passes from my players. I think it will be fixed with some hotfix soon but what's with interface issues?

"Non-negotiable" button doesn't work for me. Also every talk with players takes a lot longer than it used to since now next conversation option is not appearing instantly.

Has this new update changed who you have a meeting with at the start of the game when you first take over a club?

Before the update, I would be told I have a message from the chairman and be informed we could have a metting with them, I would then go into the meeting and the same person would be there, their picture would be showing in conversation with me.

Now it says I have a message from the chairman and it names the chairman which is the correct person. The contents of the message say that me, my assistant and the chairman are going to participate in this meeting, all good. however when I actually go into this meeting, the picture of the board member is that of the person who is the owner of my club, not the chairman.

So previously I would be informed I have a message from my chairman from which I could go into a meeting with my chairman, I am now informed I have a message from my chairman, and despite the message saying we will have a meeting together, the meeting is now clearly bewteen myself and the owner.

This has confused the hell out of me for some strange reason!

Another observation - it now appears that having left footed players take right sided corner and vice-versa is the only way to stop, at least for me since the update, a large majority of corners going straight out of play (that and I quite like the idea of the ball curling in towards area under the cross bar)...

... Also, am finding it nigh on impossible to arrange friendly matches for my U21 squad, which is quite an issue when it comes to keeping my squad match fit and aid players returning from injury, etc... Anyone else experiencing this?

Has this new update changed who you have a meeting with at the start of the game when you first take over a club?

Before the update, I would be told I have a message from the chairman and be informed we could have a metting with them, I would then go into the meeting and the same person would be there, their picture would be showing in conversation with me.

Now it says I have a message from the chairman and it names the chairman which is the correct person. The contents of the message say that me, my assistant and the chairman are going to participate in this meeting, all good. however when I actually go into this meeting, the picture of the board member is that of the person who is the owner of my club, not the chairman.

So previously I would be informed I have a message from my chairman from which I could go into a meeting with my chairman, I am now informed I have a message from my chairman, and despite the message saying we will have a meeting together, the meeting is now clearly bewteen myself and the owner.

This has confused the hell out of me for some strange reason!

Only thing I've noticed is that my Ass Man doesn't offer the option to have a friendly with the reserves squad, at least not in my game...

??It is bloody expensive to purchase youth from other teams now. value can be under 5 mil and know they wont except anything under 20 mil to buy. That is pretty ridiculous. I understand we shouldnt just be able to buy the best players from under the mat, but I dont even know if they are the best players. Half the time they end up being 3 star instead of 4 like my scout said they were. So, can someone tell me why the price went up so exponentially.

Only thing I've noticed is that my Ass Man doesn't offer the option to have a friendly with the reserves squad, at least not in my game...

now you mention it, that offer isnt there any more, neither is the ability to tell your assistant manager to run the reserve/youth squads ( I know some clubs didnt have that option anyway due to their setup, but I play as Man Utd which did) I used to be able to tell them to use the same tactics etc..

There's still this issue with lesser teams suddenly turning into slick, fluid attacking machines when they go a few goals down. In a recent cup tie at home to a side from a lower league, I went 4-0 up after 25 minutes. At that point in real life, the only changes the away side would make would be to re-organise defensively to prevent a real drubbing. What they don't do is go gung ho and start playing superb flowing attacking football, mainly due to a) they clearly aren't good enough given the evidence of the first half hour and b ) They'd get picked apart relentlessly on the counter.

I barely hung on to a 4-3 win, needing two great saves from my keeper in injury time to prevent a draw. I couldn't get near them for the entire second half.

Of course, this never works the other way around, ie I've just played against Celtic, setting up fairly defensively as they are a good bit better than us. Cue being 3-0 down after half an hour. Therefore I tried what the AI does in such a situation, and changed the tactics to play a fast, flowing attacking strategy. And guess what? I got picked apart to bits in the 2nd half, and could hardly string three passes together.

And yes, I know it's my tactics, I just wish I could hit on the AI's magic formula in such a situation.

There's still this issue with lesser teams suddenly turning into slick, fluid attacking machines when they go a few goals down. In a recent cup tie at home to a side from a lower league, I went 4-0 up after 25 minutes. At that point in real life, the only changes the away side would make would be to re-organise defensively to prevent a real drubbing. What they don't do is go gung ho and start playing superb flowing attacking football, mainly due to a) they clearly aren't good enough given the evidence of the first half hour and b ) They'd get picked apart relentlessly on the counter.

I barely hung on to a 4-3 win, needing two great saves from my keeper in injury time to prevent a draw. I couldn't get near them for the entire second half.

Of course, this never works the other way around, ie I've just played against Celtic, setting up fairly defensively as they are a good bit better than us. Cue being 3-0 down after half an hour. Therefore I tried what the AI does in such a situation, and changed the tactics to play a fast, flowing attacking strategy. And guess what? I got picked apart to bits in the 2nd half, and could hardly string three passes together.

And yes, I know it's my tactics, I just wish I could hit on the AI's magic formula in such a situation.

I literally just had this against Yeovil (swear these gits are my bogey team, Paddy Madden always plays like Lionel Messi when we go up against them). Comfortably beating Watford, Brighton, Wigan and the like in run up to game, go 2 nil up within twenty minutes and all of a sudden Yeovil 'flick the switch', win 5-2 and I literally could not contain them. First game of season I've not come out on top possession wise as well... They're bottom of the table to boot. Certainly does feel as though lesser clubs are performing just a little too well against the better sides...

It's strange how everyone is complaining about the patch, is it really that bad or are people being over critical as usual?

Ill let you figure that out ;)

My impressions are that its good -not flawless- but good, Ive experienced a few problems with my lone striker not scoring, lack of movement etc but instead of raging I looked at my games in comprehensive so I could see where we were going wrong and adjusted accordingly, 2nd in the championship with 12 games to go, opened up a 7 point gap between ourselves and 3rd place and 1 point off the top spot...we were predicted to finish mid table :D

You can see what adjusting my tactics did for me in the 2 videos above.

I wouldnt say its all complaints. I like the ME. Many improvements, however, all of a sudden injuries are worse and I cant buy a decent 18yo without spending my entire transfer fund..When my scouts are only decent im not entirely sure they are a 4 star....and thats only for a 4 star. I have put several bids on similair players and its pretty typical for them to ask about 300% of their assessed value.

I've actually managed to go on a 30 match unbeaten run after the new patch and I'm finding that I'm losing less and less games... so I see nothing wrong with it. If anything, its making my tactics work a lot better now.

This for me too

Well, went to try out this new patch, but unfortunately it completely removed all my customized views. Have to spend to next hour or so rebuilding them and trying to remember what I had in each of them.

In regards to this, I'm having difficulty rebuilding my in-match tactical screen. For example, when I go to select something like "Goals" or "Assists", it gives me my players' total goals or assists for the entire season, not the game I'm playing. I can't find match stat options to select anymore. In addition, the "Condition," "Stats,' "Position," and "Morale" screens are all the same. There's no change in information between them.

I am over my meltdown from yesterday...it took me 24 hours to figure out I needed to change my wing backs to fullbacks and drop a striker back into midfield whilst increasing the pressing and playing a higher line...

now I am fine again..playing better football than before ...but......those ...dozen or so games could easily see me out of the title race....that is why it is annoying

It would be great if there was some warning as to when the patches were going to come out so I could try to synch it with the start of a new season and play lots of friendlies....

Surely you've seen this in real life though? I know I have.
I doubt it would happen with a CB would it? Someone like Barkley is understandable as he plays up front and would want the hat-trick. I have seen it happen when the penalty is important, not as often but again it does happen. This combined with the previous point of it being a Striker on a hat-trick makes it even more realistic.

I bet if he had scored you wouldn't be saying anything... :cool:

I've seen people on a hat trick take penalties when they usually wouldn't, of course. I've seen it far far less often in a tightly contested game with only a 1 goal lead being held. I've seen it EVEN LESS often when the two players in question are a senior pro who has never missed a (non shootout) penalty in his club career, and the other a 19 year old youngster who has just come into the team on a regular basis and has never taken a penalty for his club.

And for the record, Barkley is a midfielder, not a striker (not that it matters in the slightest)

And finally, to your last point. Would I be saying anything if he had scored? Perhaps not, but that's human nature - it doesn't make the point any less valid whatsoever. I would be in the wrong for not reporting it if he had scored. Not that him scoring or missing really mattered in the end, since we won the game anyway.

The same thing happened a few games later btw, this time with Lukaku, this time while 3-2 up away from home against MAN CITY, with 10mins to go. (He once again missed, but this is a separate point - I'm seeing a LOT of missed penalties from competent penalty takers in this game, all hit slowly down the middle at the goalkeeper).

Except in real life it is an exception. In FM it is the rule, and it is followed 100% of the time regardless of which player is on two goals and how the game is going. If SI can't be bothered coding a situation- and player-based decision to "grab" the penalty from the designated penalty taker in order to get a hat-trick, then they should leave this rare occurence out of the game.

Balotelli and a few other self-centered players in the world would have the gall to do this. The vast majority of players would not unless the win is already secured (3-goal lead).

Balotelli might be a bad example there, but I agree with your general points.

This new update disconfigurated and shuffled my midfield player positions when i alternate between my saved tactics. (for example, my AMF allways changes with my DMF). Players are not anchored in the position that i choose. I've wasted 2 hours rebuilding my 3 tactics from scratch, carefully draging the players' positions so i don't mess up with the other tactics, and and still no luck...

I'll show you what i mean.

Before the update:

image.jpg

After the update:

image.jpg

Has the same evil happened to others? Any solutions?

Having the same issue. I have to reload the tactic that I switch to, so that the player instructions are correct.

I have raised a bug for this in the Bugs Forum: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378884-14.2-Players-instructions-are-changed-when-a-new-tactic-is-loaded-(or-switched-to)

Really got to peel myself away from this forum one of these days... I've just switched to playing a DLF-A and AF strike partnership (am playing a very direct 4-4-2) and in succesive games Hal Robson Kanu scored a first half hatrick vs Birmingham and then bettered that by bagging five in the first 40 minutes vs Birmingham. All clean cut goals, clear assists, through balls, crosses, the lot..

... Anyone else experiencing sudden bursts of goalscoring? Never quite seen anything like this...

Yeah, I've noticed a lot more brain farts from goalkeepers after this last update, including kicking it straight to opposition attackers, standing stock still as players round them to score, and inexplicably just dropping a ball then not reacting at all as the striker nicks in to score. We all know keepers make mistakes, and that's fine, but the follow up animations seem to imply the keeper just gives up after making a balls up.

These have happened both for and against me, quite frustrating the frequency this happens, although it's a fairly small sample of matches, so I've maybe just been unlucky. That said, my keeper pre-update hadn't made any of the mistakes I've seen since. Weird.

It was me who brought up the example of wing play, but it was just one example. If you set up a logical coherent tactic based on your team's strengths etc, you'll pretty much always do either as expected or over-achieve.

It's when people specifically try to "work out the current ME" as the poster above you says, when problems arise. You start setting up tactics to exploit a specific weakness in that ME, whatever it may be. When the weakness inevitably gets patched, they struggle and have to "rip up their tactics" because FM "broke" it.

As I've said, I haven't changed my tactics at all. I had a tactic in BETA that I continued with right until around 14.1.3. I had no problems with it. Then I changed teams, created a new tactic and again from 14.1.3 right through to 14.2 I haven't had problems. I didn't need to "rip up" my tactic at all.

Pretty much this!

I've heard some people talking about regularly crashes in on-going saves after the new patch. Are that a common problem?

I havn't updated yet. Previous experiences say that FM patches are not always for the better.

Agreed. Needs to go back to previous patch speed. On a side note, has it been explained by anyone at SI why this started happening?

It has in this thread they said the delay is intentionally introduced to better reflect a real conversation. It's not a bug it's a design decision.

Something has to be messed up with when it comes to looking for a new job.

I was the manager of Leipzig and won back to back promotions, the next 2 seasons I finished 4th and 2nd in the bundesliga, I also had a last 16 of the CL.

I decided to leave Leipzig in search of a new challenge, I left them in 4th place after 10 games and only 3 points behind the leaders.

I started to apply for jobs that interested me, I was getting laughed off from English Division 1 sides, also from Spanish and French teams of the same level, in the mean time I was getting offered top division manager jobs in Germany.

Now I do understand that I was managing in Germany before and they may have a better knowledge of my skills but surely to have the record I have then lower league teams in other nations would be very interested in having me as their manager?

This seems to need some attention.

Something has to be messed up with when it comes to looking for a new job.

I was the manager of Leipzig and won back to back promotions, the next 2 seasons I finished 4th and 2nd in the bundesliga, I also had a last 16 of the CL.

I decided to leave Leipzig in search of a new challenge, I left them in 4th place after 10 games and only 3 points behind the leaders.

I started to apply for jobs that interested me, I was getting laughed off from English Division 1 sides, also from Spanish and French teams of the same level, in the mean time I was getting offered top division manager jobs in Germany.

Now I do understand that I was managing in Germany before and they may have a better knowledge of my skills but surely to have the record I have then lower league teams in other nations would be very interested in having me as their manager?

This seems to need some attention.

It has been reported.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378631-14.2.0-impossible-to-start-unemployed?p=9295894#post9295894

Can't believe what I'm seeing. Attacker has open goal after rounding keeper and no one around pressuring him, runs up to about 2 yards out, straight in front of goal, shoots wide and then runs into post. Opposition then go straight up other end with attack down right wing. My left back intercepts, turns back and then runs at his own goal, charging into the box before laying off a pass for unmarked opposition striker to score. It is absolutely clear that SI have no idea what they are doing with this game. Every release and every new patch is a lottery. This patch is one of the worst. Total joke.

Archived