Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You barely had any injuries? Did you raise that as a bug? Every team should have some injuries, look at the physioroom for example - http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

No I didn't as I wasn't sure if it was a bug and I thought maybe I'd got lucky. I had a couple of bad ones, but not many over all.

Since the patch, around five games in, I've had four injuries including a couple of bad ones. Three in the last two games. Having said that, it is nearing the end of the season, and we have had an insanely hectic schedule in all comps, plus three FA cup replays on top of it all, so that could well have something to do with it.

Think it is back to FM12

As others have said I am getting too many injuries and own goals seem to be the new way to score.

I will have a few more games to see if it is just coincidence or not.

I will say the goalkeeper throwing the ball out looks better now.

New patch, new save - competitive games with Monaco on 1 simple 442 tactic:

1) 1 sending off, 1 injury (2 weeks out), 1 knock - replaced. drew 1-1

2) 1 injury (4-5 weeks), 1 knock (replacement). won 2-0

3) 2 knocks (had to be replaced). Lost 4-1 (players woefully out of position)

4) 1 knock (replaced). 1 Injury (not long term) (lost on penalties to lowly opposition)

5) 1 knock (replaced) 2-2 after being 0-2 down

6) 2 injuries both 2 weeks out. Lost 0-2

on the verge of getting the sack. If I can't get a simple 442 working in a save as easy as Monaco, then this is going to be a tough game.

i didn't play yet,but from what i read..so now we have too many injuries,own goals and too few shots on goal? and defence losing shape because of pressing? I hope that it's not the case..

If you judge a game by forum complaints you wouldn't use any software from any developer ever.

First impression, having only played a few games with the new ME:

Looks like wide men are doing what they are supposed to - hitting the byline and putting dangerous crosses in. :thup:

Defences seem a little too vulnerable to long balls - I've seen a couple of 'route one' goals - straight from keeper to striker, one touch finish. :thdn:

Through balls played do now seem to correspond more or less to what you have asked the player to do. :thup:

Strikers quite often seem to miss the easy chances and bury the difficult ones. I can see this might be because the pressure to score the 'simple' chances is higher?

On the whole, definately a big step in the right direction. :applause:

Well, im playing a with 3 CBs, a not so popular formation. So far, i can see improvements in defence, free kicks (i know you said you didnt changed the movement of the ball in them, but since the patch im seeing they are far more realistic, tho im still to see a goal from one), though balls, and GK distribution. Yes, i know, im probably the only one. But my keeper is passing a lot better than before (he is even getting match ratings of over 7 even in games when he just got 2 shots on goal, and werent that hard to parry) and almost all passes are to one of my wide CBs. I dont know if this has something to do with me playing with 3 CBs.

On the bad side, im seeing players trying very long one touch though balls with the back to the goal. They do have better, easier and closer passing options. The players in question does not have any tactical instructions that would make them pass like that.

Another thing that worries me, is that im conceding almost every goal from a cross. The wingers now run to the byline more often (good thing), and while before one of my CBs or wingers would have chase them, and more often than not, blocked the path for a cross, now the CBs arent doing it, and the wingers always starts with a disadvantage, so im seeing a lot of crosses to the far post that are beeing headed, or even shot by the other winger or the full back. Many of those crosses would be easy for the GK to intercept, as they are mostly crossing it really near the goal.

I'm a few more games into this since the patch, and my entire team have scored a grand total of two goals in the last five matches. I seem to having the issues others were having pre-patch! Lots of chances, no goals. And this is despite having the league's leading scorer the last two seasons in my side.

*sighs* - It was fine the way it was. :p

I have seen more injuries too. In my 2013-14 season I think I had maybe 3-4 injuries in 20 games pre-patch, and now have had 3-4 injuries in 6 games post-patch. They're mostly smaller injuries keeping players out 1-2 weeks though, so it's not particularly unrealistic.

I still think the new ME release is brilliant though. Hell, while it is irksome, the increased injury rate is probably more realistic so I can't even really complain about it.

I couldn't upload the goal somewhere but my central defender just scored a goal from around 80 yards, thanks to the superb effort from opposition goalie.

Tackles are much better.

The ball in most occasions seems to go like a bullet. Some passes and corners seemed like that.

You need at least to play half a season with the new patch until you can say that there are more or less injuries than it should. You have also to compare your clubs injuries with the injuries in all the other clubs, as the way you play could have an influence. Posting that the game is unplayable just because there are 7 injuries in 7 games is a joke. :)

To properly judge injuries we have to ask to SI if they slightly tweaked the injury algorithm. I doubt SI did such a tweak anyway.

Could SI please inject to answer ?

Thx

They have already confirmed in the other feedback thread that injuries are unchanged. However, changes to things like pressing could affect injuries, especially if players work harder and condition goes down.

You need at least to play half a season with the new patch until you can say that there are more or less injuries than it should. You have also to compare your clubs injuries with the injuries in all the other clubs, as the way you play could have an influence. Posting that the game is unplayable just because there are 7 injuries in 7 games is a joke. :)

It's a joke because I am Monaco. The best team in the league by some distance, I play a simple tactic of 4-4-2 and I have played 7, won 0. scored 5 and conceded 17.

really? with Monaco? in League 2?

Is anyone having a new issue now regarding passing? Getting sick and tired now of watching Arteta and Cazorla give the ball away despite having plenty of options. It's like they panic.

Second this. Played maybe 5-6 matches on my main save (4-2-3-1) after patching last night. The biggest thing that was losing me possession was the insane through balls that came from most players at bizarre moments, but they also seemed to struggle with easy passes far too much too. I've since started a new game and decided to switch to a 4-1-2-2-1. It's possibly not the best time to judge as I'm only on my second friendly, but my teams play seems to be far more shocking than I'd expect, even without proper team/tactical cohesion being reached. They just seem to want to give it away at every opportunity. The actual tackling seems to be insane also...in my intra-squad friendly, I drew 0-0 and managed about 52% possession. My reserve squad had over 90% tackling completion and a hell of a large amount of tackles. I do like that passing seems to have more urgency now...I just feel that my passing/mentality settings seem to have very little bearing in what's happening any more

It's a joke because I am Monaco. The best team in the league by some distance, I play a simple tactic of 4-4-2 and I have played 7, won 0. scored 5 and conceded 17.

really? with Monaco? in League 2?

The best team, but probably not the best manager. :D

It's not only tactics it's also which players you select, team talks, shouts, substitutions etc.

Pre-patch, using the same tactics that I've used for almost 4 years now (and met with success every time, particularly on the defensive side of things):

9 games

8 points

10 goals for

16 against

Post-patch:

2 games

2 goals for

0 goals against

Six shots for each side in both games, compared to 15+ in pretty much every game prior to the patch.

I play a flat 4-4-2, with defense taking priority. Imagine my surprise, then, when my defenders were being absolutely murdered prior to the patch--two of my starters were averaging less than a 6.5 per game. Post-patch, and my team has tightened up the defensive side of things considerably. A welcome change!

My tactic has gone from amazing to useless simply because defenders hold on to the ball to long, panic and then hoof the ball out for a throw in or up the pitch. I get a feeling that this is because of the pressing being more effective but it seems to be too effective now. My team is full of players to play this specific way because it was what suited the match engine best and now all of a sudden with the changes in the match engine the game has completely changed.

It's nice to see updates being made to fix bugs and make improvements but you can't just completely change the way the match engine works. It's just ruined my save which i am 3 seasons into!

I was happy with the ME Pre-update and I'm happy with it now. I've been playing all day, I have no problems with injuries.

My team is defending and attacking well, I really don't understand why people moan so much. When I play other games and things are tricky or not going my way I don't blame the game I put it down to my lack of competence and try and put it right or if I can't be bothered put it away.

I will reiterate this version of FM is superb, when my team scores I feel a real acheivement that was'nt really present on the previous versions

Good work Si.

Prior to the patch: the ME's ****, defenders are not reacting, players are not pressing, no through balls are being played, too many pointless passing etc

Post-patch: my team's not shooting enough, players are getting injured too much, players are not passing well enough etc

In short, I'm not winning, wa wa waaaaaaah!

SI really can't win, can they? :D

N.B. - this is tongue-in-cheek, in case any of you humourless sods misinterprets it. I doubt people can judge the ME's improvement or otherwise so shortly after the patch was released.

when my team scores I feel a real acheivement that was'nt really present on the previous versions

This sums the game up nicely for me... Scoring/ winning was never an issue in previous versions, I find myself watching extended highlights every game and being on edge when going behind.

Less shooting is a funkiller in my opinion and really starting to bug me I was having a min of 15 shots per match and playing productive football. Now i can't even shoot 7-8 shots. Even though my team is dominating the game more than ever.

I think the major difference for the tactic is that the wingbacks effectivity has been toned down quite a lot.

It seems however, that wingers can be quite good now, compared to before. The question is if a three man defence should still be applied or two can do the job now.

After a few more games I noticed my front three's passing completion rate dropped down to the low 70 percents along with my possession rate in their final third. Everyone tries through balls at every opportunity. Defenders are also getting high 7 and low 8 match rating in a normal game because of the amount of interceptions they make as well.

Only played 2 pre season friendlies so i can't really comment on the ME, but one thing that is annoying me is set pieces being ignored still, i have my left corner set to 'short' and right corner set to 'mixed' but it ignores the instructions for the short corner completely.

I did report this weeks ago but it's still present, unless it's my corner taker just ignoring my instructions ? does this mean corner instructions are pointless now ?

3 seasons of not a single freekick being scored (my taker has 17 for free kicks) and first game on the patch gets me a goal from a freekick!

A shame it was from 35 yards out and went straight down the keepers neck.

I don't like the passing one bit. It's all so direct and is goes forward way to often. My players and tactics are set up for slow build up, keeping the ball for long periods of time waiting for the right time to play a decisive through ball to my striker who is set as poacher. Now it's just Defender to Midfielder maybe the midfeilders will play 3 or 4 passes to eachother but then it's either a shot at goal, cross or my striker will play it back 40 yards to my defense. This tactic worked wonders before the update. The whole of the previous season i only conceded 14 league goals due to my high possession and controlling the play. Now after 4 games with the new match engine i have conceded 9 goals.

As far as im concerned this new update was to drastic and has changed the match engine to much. Is there anyway to download the previous update again? 2 weeks play where i got through 3 seasons are just wasted otherwise because my team are set up to play a certain way and the update has changed how the game is played so i either need to start again or go back to previous update

Also this is not me complaining cos i am losing games since the update. I have won 3 and drew 1. I just haven't enjoyed the game since the update

Iam sorry, but at least in my game, so far, everything is the same as in pre patch except that I do not see goals anymore. Before I had huge amount of possession with lots of pointless shots, now it is the same without the shots. Plus I have injuries, lot of injuries. Iam starting to be really angry about this game.

How come people complain about things that can be changed via tactics? Robert Page, it seems to me like you can still get your team to play the way you want...just not with the exact same tactics you were using before. The ME is interpreting your tactics differently, so change the tactics to how you want the ME to interpret it.

Having played a few more games, it just feels now as if I'm getting ALL the problems others had before the patch (which I got hardly any of). In the full game, my Coventry side just lost 4-1 to Scunthorpe who had five shots on goal to my nine. This was on the back of losing to Hartlepool who scored with their only two shots on goal. May just be a blip, but I'm loathed to drastically change tactics from one that was, while not making me win every game, at least seeming to fit the abilities of the players I have. Isn't that the whole point of the game rather than have to react to ME changes?

Hopefully, these results and stats in this game, as well as my Truro game are in spite of the ME changes rather than because of them. Hey ho.

How come people complain about things that can be changed via tactics? Robert Page, it seems to me like you can still get your team to play the way you want...just not with the exact same tactics you were using before. The ME is interpreting your tactics differently, so change the tactics to how you want the ME to interpret it.

In fairness, your tactics should be set up in line with the strengths of your squad, the attributes your players have, and on occasion how you think the opposition will set up. It should never be how the ME will interpret them. And prior to the patch, it seemed to me anyway, like it was how it should be. Now, it seems like you have to adapt to the ME, which was always the case in previous versions, and the alternative was something I initially found very refreshing on this one.

I'm a big fan of the new update - I may be losing more but at least every single game isn't a ball of illogical frustration. Every game seems to have at least game-ending injury per team though. they're stacking up. is this realistic? I don't spend much time researching injury stats.

Archived